Recently Completed Games Page 571

• Gunzberg 22 Jan 2019 21:48:01 2,683 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider 9/10 in 4K on XB1X

Beautiful, best modern TR yet, the first had the crappy Yamatai story, the second I do not even remember the story apart from dull Siberia landscapes BUT THIS oh boy, stunning, enchanting, nuanced, delightful, a joy to play and traverse, great tombs, fantastic pacing, lovely mysteries and a fabulous setting.

97% completion, main story done, going to wrap up the last 3% but have been playing it nonstop for the past 3 days and WHAT A JOURNEY.

I cannot believe this got dissed by the press and other users. Shame on all of them!

Best game I have played so far in 2019, I know it is early days yet but I loved this and honestly thought the other 2 TRs were more lala. I believe bringing in a new, associate studio made a huge difference. Recommended, go immerse yourself into this.

And yeah both of the jump scares fucking got me good. Also isn#t that Blue Heron Dress stunning ?
  • HarryPalmer 24 Jan 2019 10:39:50 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red Dead 2

This game was a rollercoaster. Initial impressions were jaw-dropping, I loved it. The world is astonishing, it's the best open world ever, no contest. Witcher 3 comes close, and I think Rockstar took a lot of inspiration from that world, but this is truly amazing. The characters, the acting, the exploration - all brilliant, and honestly as a whole, unbelievably good.

And then the niggles started: the controls are piss poor, the menus, inventory - everything UI is really quite bad, the gunplay is fairly pants (apart from deadeye, which is cool as fuck), the missions are largely standard R* and get old fast, especially when juxtaposed with the serious and thoughtful tone of the game, having to traverse huge distances just for a cutscene to play out really starts to grate. There are niggles everywhere - and by Chapter 6, although the characters and story are very good, I was ready for it to end.

Then the epilogue. The final chapter is beautiful, in every sense. This chapter completes the story in the most perfect way imo. The area of the map that you always knew would become available at the end unlocks, and it is easily the most beautiful area in the game - there was a moment when I was exploring and came across a view that eclipsed anything I'd seen in the game up to that point, and probably in any game ever, and it was just there - for me to look at.

That fact that you've probably been here before, in RD1, probably adds to the sense of nostalgia and melancholy, but the story of RD2 fits so perfectly together at the end that I really was left with the sense that this game is very special indeed.

The epilogue changed my opinion of the game from one of admiration, and a very very good game, to this game is a masterpiece.

10/10

Edited by HarryPalmer at 10:41:04 24-01-2019
  • HarryPalmer 24 Jan 2019 10:44:19 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also, I'm not done with this game. There is so much to see that I hope I'm playing it for a long time to come.
  • Bichii 24 Jan 2019 12:08:09 1,425 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gunzberg it's very average and by far the worst of the latest three. The writing and story are woeful. Not a bad game by Any stretch but nothing compared to the potential that was shown in their first re boot set I'm Japan, series has gone backwards if anything.
  • Bichii 24 Jan 2019 12:10:24 1,425 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Red Dead 2

The epilogue changed my opinion of the game from one of admiration, and a very very good game, to this game is a masterpiece.

10/10
    Agree with your 10 however I really wished it ended before the epilogue. There was nothing poor quality in the epilogue but it was too much. Would have been far better as a dlc in six months.
  • HairyArse 24 Jan 2019 12:16:17 1,228 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mutant Year Zero - 7/10

A great X-Com-like with cool characters and upgrades but a little buggy in places and hard-as-nails. Completed it on normal but only due to saving my game before every encounter and reloading if it went to shit.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Jan 2019 12:42:37 26,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @HarryPalmer
    Reads like an 8
  • Gunzberg 24 Jan 2019 17:18:00 2,683 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bichii Frankly I thought the entire Yamatai story arc was utter rubbish. So for me this one is the best of the modern three.
  • Vortex808 25 Jan 2019 13:58:28 13,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain Spirit (The Awesome adventures of)

Finally made time to give this short prequel to Life is Strange 2 a go before I (possibly) start episode 1 of that.

I enjoyed it a lot. Exactly what I was hoping for- a relaxed paced game with a bit of emotional clout to it, so looking forward to whatever LiS2 brings.

:-)
  • Gunzberg 25 Jan 2019 19:57:55 2,683 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SOMA

8/10

Was free, did not disappoint, played it in safe mode because I hate redoing sections and playing stealthily.
  • Samildanach 26 Jan 2019 12:12:35 36 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jamestown+

A nice change on shmup setting from the usual space/military/ghastly loli stuff. Set in the time of the conquest of the new world....transposed to Mars with aliens and the Spanish in an unholy alliance.
    Well made and slick gameplay with difficult but fair challenges. The seven stages are very varied and interesting with completely new enemies in each. The boss battles are also very well designed so it gets a definite thumbs up from me.

4/5
    (Not quite as good as Dariusburst's brilliance and content).
  • Malek86 26 Jan 2019 13:26:14 8,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Final Fantasy Origins 1 (PS1)

This granddaddy of JRPGs still has it where it counts. Nowadays I can't be arsed to deal with complicated battle systems and ridiculously contrived plots - so just like Shining in the Darkness, the simplicity of FF1 works in its favor.

Difficulty is very uneven, essentially it starts out hard, becomes even harder in the middle stages, and then suddenly turns very easy after you get the airship. Must have something to do with my monk becoming more and more powerful. The warrior remains useful throughout, while the two mages are more situational. The old school MP system means you can't just cast spells with abandon. So the mages end up wasting two slots and only really become useful in tougher fights.

The Origins version has better sound and music, a dash button, and the ability to quicksave outside of battles. This saved me very often. Some areas would be outright unfair without it. Dark Wizards surprise attacking you and obliterating the party with Fire3 before you can even do anything? And people say Shin Megami Tensei was bad.

Still fun, overall.

7/10

Well, with 26 hours and a level 39 party, that's another JRPG done. It's only been a year since the last one. Having it on PSP helped a lot. Perhaps I should see FF6 through next - wish I could just play the original version on Switch, but the PS1 version will have to do.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:31:11 26-01-2019
  • JoelStinty 27 Jan 2019 12:47:29 7,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap.

Completion Time: 7 hours (though could probably be done in 4-5 if you're really good)

For the most part i really enjoyed this. I really struggled with it in its opening hour, a bit finger and thumbs with it, and it didn't play as i expected it too, its Nes/Master System heritage is all there warts and all, but once i become accustomed to it i just went with it and really enjoyed my time with it.

Music and Artwork is fantastic. A lot of thought as gone into making this game expressive and full of charm and brings the game to a modern audience, and many generations to come.

Being a re-skin of a old game it does have it quirks that will unsettle modern gamers, there is no obvious path to the final boss and does require a missable item for example , but outside those first 45 minutes/hour, and that bit towards the end, i really enjoyed it. A breath of fresh air.

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:49:13 27-01-2019
  • TheHammerite 29 Jan 2019 21:23:24 3,289 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Turok 2 Remastered - 9/10

Never finished it on the N64 despite liking it a lot. The remastered version has fixed the framerate and everything looks much crisper. It's still great fun, with varied levels. The levels are massive.

Highly recommended if you like old FPS's.
  • JoelStinty 31 Jan 2019 17:57:55 7,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Horizon: Zero Dawn

Completion Time: 40 hours

Decent. I liked the main story (although some of the missions are a bit poorly paced), and i liked the combat. Dino fighting is ace and leads to some high tense battles. I also like how at first you have to think about how to defeat new foes, and as you level up, you can just smash them up but both ways are fun. However the side stuff isn't great and i struggled at times to be remained engaged with the game. Side missions are just go here kill X go home. The annoying thing is at the end, there where a couple of characters I met along the way, which is a nice touch, but there is no incentive or feeling the game would ever do that, so i wonder who else i missed as i bypassed a fair amount of green icons!

I don't know whether i was being hard on it when playing it, wanting it to be this or that, but it borrows so much on its influences you can't help but compared it to other games. At times the 40 hours it took me to complete the game where hard going, whereas something like Zelda i played for 140 without frustration.

It is a beautiful looking game and i think the foundations are there for a superb sequel, as a first attempt for a new i.p, in a new genre for a developer its a pretty impressive accomplishment, if flawed.

3.5/5
  • samharper 31 Jan 2019 20:36:37 1,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't think much at all of Horizon

On the other hand...

Red Dead Redemption II

To mirror the other comments in here, Chapter 5 onwards is gold. The way it leads up to RDR 1 is spectacular. Arthur is such a human character. And I quite enjoyed the minute to minute gameplay to boot. The Epilogue is outstanding, could have been standalone DLC and is arguably the best part of the game. Absolutely loved it and I'm sad it's over, first big open world game I've properly enjoyed since MGSV. In terms of Rockstar games, I'd say tied with the original for the best they've done. Chapter 4 is arguably this game's "Mexico" but the padding was a lot less cross-the-map every mission kind of annoyance. Beautiful. Incredibly slow. Incredibly long. But nothing else like it.

9.5/10
  • bighairybear65 31 Jan 2019 22:03:12 274 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Halo 5 Guardians... loved it, completed in less than a week, enjoyed the story,epic battles, cliffhanger ending, rather blimmin exciting!
    Looks bit old tho..
    Glad theyíve got a nu engine for Infinity.. but, yep really enjoyed it, one slot freed up (5 slot challenge) roll on Halo 6!
  • Bichii 31 Jan 2019 23:38:16 1,425 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You said nu....
  • wuntyphyve 1 Feb 2019 00:18:06 11,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dark Souls 3

Okay itís not my first time finishing it but itís the most satisfying time. Completely revised my opinion of it. I bloody loved it this time. No summons and all bosses deaded. Only sticking points were Midir and Friede but even then they were only around 7-8 tries each which, considering I was expecting well into double figures, is nice. Gael and Soul of Cinder went down first try. Which was a shock. Anyway good fun all round. I wanted to plat it so I have them all but fuck me, get ALL rings? And grind four different covenants? Hmph. Not sure I can be arsed.
  • OllyJ 1 Feb 2019 08:22:33 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyphyve I don't think I could do Gael solo, it's too manic!
  • wuntyphyve 1 Feb 2019 09:14:48 11,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @OllyJ See I thought he would melt me and have only co-opped him in the past. Thought I would have a quick dry run at him to start learning his moves and I ended up killing him. As like most DS3 bosses he goes down to the old "stick close and circle to your right" technique! I used a +5 irythill straight sword and kept resetting frostbite with a +10 fire hand axe so I was taking off chunks of his health at a time.
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Feb 2019 09:35:45 3,364 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shadow Warrior 2

Played it on Gamepass and started off fun just shooting loads of enemies in old school style but it gets repetitive in terms of level design (the futuristic level is bad). Also lots of bosses with massive health bars that become a chore and also repetitive. If they focused on the main missions and didn't bother with the filler side missions then it could of been better

6.5/10
  • dominalien 3 Feb 2019 11:28:24 9,076 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trine 2 Complete Story on PS4.

It's the base game plus some additional levels, got from PS+. I had the vanilla T2 on the computer already, but LEVELS, and TROPHIES and also I don't play on the computer, so I decided to play this instead.

I loved the first Trine, up to the point I have the plat for it. I might get the plat for this one too, we'll see. It's very very very pretty. It's also quite obviously made to be played in 3D which I did, in part. I may have said it before, but I really am sad 3D didn't take off for gaming as the games I have played (Prince of Persias, this one, Deadly Premonition and anything on the 3DS) are that much better for the 3D.

Unfortunately, it's also a bit of a slog. The entire game is basically puzzle room-short corridor-puzzle room-short corridor ad nauseam. In every puzzle room there's the usually pretty obvious puzzle necessary to progress to the short corridor, but there's also this experience scattered all over, mostly high up. So I naturally try to get all the experience and it's always a question of stacking all the boxes so they don't fall over and timing the floaty jump just right so I get one, then doing the same thing all over again 10 cm to the right to I can get another one and the same thing over and over again for another 20 minutes at which point all the experience is gathered and I can solve the puzzle and get to the short corridor and 3 seconds later I'm in another puzzle room with all the experience usually high up and I want to kill myself.

Of course, I could just ignore the experience, but it's needed for the abilities and these are fun and make the game more interesting, so I want to get as much as I can.

In a stroke of genius, which I'm not sure was in the 1st game, the designers allow you to deselect any ability you have and use the points you get back to immediately get a different one. In the mid-late game this was a life-saver, as different abilities are useful for getting all the different experience orbs.

I'm now mopping up the remaining experience and trophies and having a much better time of it.

6/10 while I was playing, 8/10 now that I'm done.

Edited by dominalien at 11:43:02 03-02-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Feb 2019 19:57:15 3,364 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Started back in December when released on gamepass, started off really enjoying, great graphics and sound and for a walking simulator, the combat is a lot better than you think it would be. But at a certain point that game becomes a painful experience, its when you have to do the swamp shard. After when you get your sword back, it becomes a lot more combat heavy when the combat and then you throw loads of enemies at you which are a bit cheap at times. The game does not feel very balanced as there is a point where you are just doing puzzles then they throw loads of enemies at you to make up for the recent quieter bit.

At one point it would be 8/10, but after the swamp shard bit, its more of 6.5/10
  • Malek86 3 Feb 2019 20:54:49 8,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved the bit when you need to find the sword shard in the disease-ridden area. The darkness area and labyrinth were just annoying though. Amazing sound and visual design throughout the game, but it could have done without combat. It felt kinda pointless.

Trivia: if you look too closely at the "thing" chasing you in the disease area, you'll die. Think you can just use photo mode to take a closer look? Sure you can, but as soon as you exit photo mode, the game will kill you.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:55:25 03-02-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Feb 2019 21:18:24 9,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @JoelStinty I played the mega drive version of Wonder Boy in Monster World on Xbox360 not long ago but really struggled with the controls of the Dragon's Trap remake. I think they could have polished the controls a little more.

The new art style was gorgeous but feels like a slightly missed opportunity to trap it behind pain in the arse 8 bit gameplay.
  • Nanocrystal 3 Feb 2019 23:28:10 1,793 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Firewatch - 10/10
    Second time I've played this, I absolutely love it. Effortlessly combines two heartbreaking stories, each told in very different ways, with a tremendous sense of place. Stunning soundtrack and ambient sound enhance the simple but effective art style. Doesn't let being a video game get in the way of the narrative and pacing (could so easily have been ruined by open world busywork or survival/crafting nonsense). Just a beautifully simple concept executed to perfection (occasional slight performance stutters aside). I'm gonna be all over In the Valley of the Gods, can't bloody wait for it.
  • Nitrous 4 Feb 2019 10:27:00 1,780 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spider-Man (PS4)

Really good game and webslinging across the city is great and combat is fairly similar to batman. Graphically excellent with some brilliant voice acting.

The story was OK but I lost a bit of interested around the mid point but it soon picked up again and well worth seeing it through. My only real nagative with the game was the repetitive battles. I had to use different gadgets just to mix things up a bit and even then I skipped most of the challenge fights and crimes towards the end.

Might try the DLC if and when it's on sale but other than that I'd like to see sequel for it.

9/10
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Feb 2019 10:45:34 14,311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There were far to many crime side missions in Spider-Man.
  • JoelStinty 4 Feb 2019 11:36:57 7,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    @JoelStinty I played the mega drive version of Wonder Boy in Monster World on Xbox360 not long ago but really struggled with the controls of the Dragon's Trap remake. I think they could have polished the controls a little more.

The new art style was gorgeous but feels like a slightly missed opportunity to trap it behind pain in the arse 8 bit gameplay.
    Yeah i guess that was down to being able to transfer between both games at a press of a button. So basically its a master system game dressed up in new graphics. It certainly throws you off what we all been acclimatised too over the years.

Wonder if Monster Boy is more modernised in that regard?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.