Following Recently Completed Games Page 572

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2019 11:47:39 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Monster Boy is great. It's punishing in a couple of areas, but not anywhere near as much as the days of 8-bit platformers. I finished it without too much trouble, and enjoyed almost every minute of it.
  • evild_edd 5 Feb 2019 21:35:21 4,108 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Skulls of the Shogun.

Started slowly but really enjoyed this. The skull challenges to encourage you to replay the levels in different ways were pretty clever as well.

I should probably stay away from turn based strategy games as they're like crack for me...

8/10
  • ghearoid 7 Feb 2019 09:20:49 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Valkyria Chronicles 4

I really enjoyed this. I like strategy games but not shooters, so I wasn't sure about this game going in, but I was soon blasting away at dirty Imps.with great pleasure! :)

I thought the story and world interesting and I grew very fond of my squad. The squad stories you unlock as you progress were great side content to flesh out their characters.

Battle maps had good variety and I even liked the larger maps which were super intimidating at first and really made me think.

Highly recommended! 9/10
  • docrob 7 Feb 2019 13:35:30 1,186 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mark of the Ninja

I went back to this after what Steam tells me was 6 YEARS. I credit Phattsoís 2019 challenge for making me do so, and this time see it through to completion.

Iím delighted I did, because I love this game to bits. It reminds me a great deal of the Saboteur games back in the days of the Spectrum. Itís beautifully crafted and so much fun to play. Thereís stealth, but it isnít over-emphasised. Thereís a challenge, but it never feels unfair (apart from one tricky section late on which had no checkpoints until you finished it - unlike the rest of the game).

Itís honestly some of the most satisfying gaming Iíve had in years, so it gets a 9/10 from me.
  • RyanDS 8 Feb 2019 08:44:37 12,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shenmue:

I quite liked it, quirks and all. Even though I have never played it before I found it really nostalgic and a lot of fun at times. I also hated it at times. But that was part of its charm.

It takes me back to when games were experimenting and unpolished, throwing everything against the wall and hoping some of it stuck. These days it is so rare to see something genuinely new (last I can think of is Mirrors Edge with FPS platforming and Prince of Persia Sands of Time with time rewind.)

Sure, a lot of Shenmue doesn't work, but at least it is interesting (note I say interesting, not good!) Like the motorbike race which comes out of nowhere and is great fun, and a simple one off. It breaks up the game and is awesome, even if in a game dedicated to racing it would have been shit. The fact it is one and done is great.

Other stuff is genuinely shit, like unskippable cutscenes before tricky parts, and interacting and finding shit can be poorly explained and trciky with the controls.

Voices etc are obviously shit, but that is part of the charm.

I played blind up until I needed to use a phone book (which was in front of me but I couldn't interact, turns out there is a first person look that you only need to use twice in the entire game so I didn't know existed, but you need it to interact with small things twice in the game.) And after that went with a guide. And glad I did, when some of the later stuff is "drive between building X and Y between 3 and 4pm" when the game also give you the option to drive between A & B is shit. I did that day 4 times thinking it was bugged before I found others complaining about the same issue. See also speak to random person 78 out of 130 in teh game to proceed.

Still, was great fun, a real faux nostalgia blast.
    7/10

Would have been 10/10 definitely if I had played back in the day.
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Feb 2019 12:54:47 3,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Walking Dead Season 1 (xbox one)

Its on gamepass, and its nice to play as Lee again as such a great character and the ending still gets you despite I played it before. It a shame TT never improved on their gameplay formula and your choices mean fuck all. Its part of the reason why gamers got bored of the games and waited till they become "free" on GWG or PSN+

On the 4th episode, it still has glitch where 4 of the characters are just standing in the hallway despite Ben is the class room. I think thats still left over from last gen release. Also never played the 400 days DLC, it has this annoying bit where it says to press and hold X to get the rebar, when actually its hold the A button. The DLC stories are not very interesting tbh.

when season 1 was first released it was great and the story is better than season 2 but knowing nothing really changes, makes it less fun to play

3/5
  • JoelStinty 11 Feb 2019 22:35:40 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ominusha Warlords

Completion time 4 hours 20 minutes , 5 - 5.5hours I guess if you include deaths.

Nice to replay this. Does the whole Metroidvania esq thing decently, combat is sharp and it plays well, even by todayís standards. Normal mode isnít particularly hard, just requires patience. Story is naff and is a bit nonsensical but the journey is fun. Really short but it feels right. Anymore would be a bit too much. Must say that it does use those 4.5 hours well, you feel like you achieve a lot.

It does pale a little bit to the Resi series though. The castle isnít as fun or memorable to explore as the mansion or
    the cop station and itís a bit cartoonish. I know Resi has a campness and b movie attire, but this as a straight up mars
    attacks main bad guy!

Also there are a few archaic moments in the game that are off their time. No auto save in particular, but thankfully puzzles or cutscenes are short but still.
    3.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 22:38:12 11-02-2019
  • DrStrangelove 12 Feb 2019 00:24:23 14,260 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Star Fox, Star Fox 2, Contra 3 (all on easy)

Finally got myself a NES and SNES Classic Mini today as I had some vouchers and learned that production ended for good two months ago. The SNES is out of stock already in many shops/chains, but I was lucky and one of the local shops had one left.

Especially Star Fox was easier than I remembered, of course it's tougher on the harder routes, but I was surprised how easily you breeze through on the first one. Also how much fun it still is.

Contra 3 gave me another surprise, I didn't expect to make it on my first attempt. Now I know this one gets a lot harder on normal and on hard it's impossible for mortals. Double-checked with Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, and yes, that one's "beginner" difficulty is as misleading as I remembered it. There are brutally hard games, then there are games that are pure sadistic evil, and then there are Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts and R-Type 3.

Star Fox 2 was disappointing. I know it's an unfinished game, but as it is it's a pretty big step down from the first one, worse in pretty much every aspect.

Also unexpected was how enjoyable some NES games still are. Mega Man 2 is still more fun than it has any right to be. The NES's sound effect delay is a letdown, but other than that I'm mostly happy with it.

Got some information from the internet before buying them, including from the Digital Foundry reviews which left me pretty bemused. The single most important question is if the games are 50Hz PAL or 60Hz NTSC, but this is never mentioned in a 20-minute video review--by DF who spend their lives counting frames by hand. Also "the controller cables are too short"--well maybe say how short they actually are or at least show one picture to give the slightest impression? Nope. Instead, Linneman spends about a third of the video talking about some enthusiast retro NES for $500.

Well, whatever. Glad I have them. Going to spend a lot of time with them.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:37:49 12-02-2019
  • Malek86 13 Feb 2019 12:31:48 8,494 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Messenger (PC)

This one was free on Twitch Prime, so I gave it a shot. Pretty good, actually.

It starts as a straight action platformer, but halfway through it becomes a sort of metroidvania where you revisit all the previous areas with time travel portals. The story is kinda bonkers, works well when it stays funny, but sometimes it tries to be serious and honestly those attempts fall kinda flat. The music is great, and the main gimmick (jumping after an attack) generally stays fun throughout.

The game does outstay its welcome after a while. Especially because the second half is quite a bit longer than the first half, and not quite as good. It offers a greater challenge, but the bosses are pretty disappointing.

Still good overall. It would have been better if they had trimmed the latter half a bit.

8/10

I just subscribed to Game Pass again for a couple months, so my next game will probably be Shadow of the Tomb Raider, if I don't finish Mutant Mudds Super Challenge before it (pretty unlikely).
  • samharper 13 Feb 2019 13:13:09 1,119 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

Got some information from the internet before buying them, including from the Digital Foundry reviews which left me pretty bemused. The single most important question is if the games are 50Hz PAL or 60Hz NTSC, but this is never mentioned in a 20-minute video review--by DF who spend their lives counting frames by hand.

From the text review:
    We're reviewing a European model here, which for our money offers the best combination for Western gamers - the Super Famicom casing, paired with 60Hz US versions of the games on offer. No PAL borders, no speed reductions: thankfully Nintendo has spared us from the 50Hz 90s nightmare.
    DF's videos are pretty poor for the most part though, they strestch them out so much to hit that 10 minute mark sometimes and they can be really dumbed down. I also got one but haven't made significant progress in any game except Super Mario World, I'll need to try some of the others!
  • DrStrangelove 13 Feb 2019 14:00:41 14,260 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @samharper

Yes, they mentioned that in the SNES Mini review, but not in the NES Mini one. Should have clarified that I was specifically talking about the NES Mini review.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 14:08:53 13-02-2019
  • samharper 13 Feb 2019 16:15:59 1,119 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Palm meet face, I thought you were talking about the SNES there
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Feb 2019 20:18:14 5,981 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 (PC) - 9/10

Finished the Imperium campaign, which is apparently the longest and most story dense. Still got Necron and Tyrannid campaigns to go.

Bloody awesome game, really. They've refined and improved the tactical combat since the first game. It's still as satisfying and weighty as ever, but the balance is better and a few of the rough edges have been smoothed a bit.

The strategic layer is really good this time around and a huge improvement on the first game. A few of the reviews called it a lightweight 4X, which is both true and slightly unfair. There are lots of familiar 4X mechanics, but as the campaign progresses and the difficulty ramps up, it starts to feel more like an exercise in crisis management against ever-escalating odds. Almost has a strange kind of puzzle-game feel.

Knocking one point of the score because co-op doesn't work at the moment. That's apparently getting fixed by a patch later this month.
  • Malek86 16 Feb 2019 21:53:25 8,494 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mutant Mudds Collection (Switch)

A very tight platformer. Starts slowly, and gets progressively harder. However, there's no denying that in the later levels, you start feeling like it's cheapness that kills you, not actually difficult level design.

This point is driven further home in the Super Challenge levels, which are even cheaper. And even so, they effectively just more of the same, there's no new gimmick whatsoever.

I had a decent time with it, but admittedly only the first game was "fun". I only got through Super Challenge because I wanted to see if I could. But unlike with other games, I don't think it was ultimately worth it.

7/10
  • Hicksy 17 Feb 2019 15:06:28 2,624 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Life is Strange - Season 1 (PS4)

8/10

Life is Strange - Before The Storm (PS4)

6.5/10 (half a point dropped for such an abrupt ending to Episode 3)
  • ModoX 18 Feb 2019 06:26:17 3,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really? I preferred Before the Storm to the original if I'm honest - it got rid of a lot of the 'gameplay' elements that became tedious at times in the first, and the story/characters really got me.
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Feb 2019 21:01:14 7,241 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steins;Gate

Finally completed the true ending (after a several month long break due to burnout - played nothing else on the Vita for weeks but couldn't stop all the same) and damn was it worth persevering. Amazing experience, great ending, and am a bit sad now that it's done. Last time I felt this way was Persona 4.

10/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2019 23:22:01 5,981 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ace Combat 7 (PC) - 7/10

Mixed feelings on this one.

The moment-to-moment gameplay in most missions is superb. There's something immensely satisfying about the basic Ace Combat gameplay loop. This is basically a new game in the classic series template and I don't want to complain about that.

Problem is, a lot of the trimmings around the edges are a bit shit. The plot is awful. It's basically a pile of what I generally term "Gundamwank". It's a war-story where everybody pontificates endlessly about how awful war is and wanting to stop the fighting (rather than, you know, winning), while still blowing the shit out of anything that moves. The characters are unengaging and the narrative style is weak.

The in-game economy is shite, with rewards from singleplayer horribly undertuned. It seems designed to force you into multiplayer. Except the multiplayer is a big pile of wank-covered-poo. There are only pure PvP modes, despite the fact that Ace Combat in general would have been much better suited to competitive PvE. Multiplayer dogfighting is awful.

Also, the boss battles are poor by series standards. There are basically only two bosses that repeat multiple times each. The Arsenal Bird fights are ok, but suffer from broken pacing. The Mr. X battles are fucking awful, which makes the fact that the game makes you repeat the fight so many times pretty much an insult.

Don't get me wrong, I liked more than I disliked. But some bad design choices hold back what could have been a great game.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2019 23:56:17
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Steins;Gate

Finally completed the true ending (after a several month long break due to burnout - played nothing else on the Vita for weeks but couldn't stop all the same) and damn was it worth persevering. Amazing experience, great ending, and am a bit sad now that it's done. Last time I felt this way was Persona 4.

10/10
    Keep meaning to start this on vita.
  • KnuttinAtoll 19 Feb 2019 07:46:44 7,241 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Steins;Gate

10/10
    Keep meaning to start this on vita.
    I'm not normally into visual novels and SG is a slow burner initially (in hindsight for good reason), but it's quite a rollercoaster ride when it does get going, I just couldn't put it down anymore. Every detail which is confusing in the beginning will make sense in the end. Great writing all round and definitely give this a go.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 07:51:18 19-02-2019
  • Malek86 19 Feb 2019 11:51:59 8,494 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Turok Remastered (PC)

As a proud owner of the original PC version, played a million times in spite of its severe issues, I was eager to see what had been changed for the remaster.

Turns out, more than I expected. Aside from the improved graphics, there is also a litany of accessibility options, so you can disable the ridiculous head bobbing, improve the FOV to an acceptable point, etc. The gameplay has also been rebalanced. The pistol is weaker, the pulse rifle is stronger, the rocket launcher is actually useful, and so on. They didn't fix the diagonal boost, so you can still zip everywhere, like always. But the rebalancing does make the game better than before.

It's still too short, the ending is just as bad as in all other Acclaim games, and there simply isn't a lot of variety in enemies and enviroments. But it's still pretty fun even after all these years.

7/10

Bring on Turok 2 next. I hated the original PC release, but maybe this remaster can change that.
  • PazJohnMitch 19 Feb 2019 11:59:23 14,525 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I cannot remember it being short. It was however the first N64 game I played. So anything over the standard 3 hours for a Megadrive game would have felt pretty beefy to me.

And I had it before I bought a memory card. So that will have added quite a lot to my play time.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 12:01:28 19-02-2019
  • TheHammerite 19 Feb 2019 12:00:27 3,455 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86

Turok 2 is brutal fun. The remastered version is excellent. I'm playing through it again on hard mode after beating normal. I intend on giving turok 1 a go soon as well.
  • TheHammerite 19 Feb 2019 12:02:02 3,455 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

I think it's shorter if you can save anywhere. That was missing in the originals and the save points were few and far between.
  • Malek86 19 Feb 2019 12:17:00 8,494 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can't save anywhere in T1, and save points are few. But maybe I've just become too good at the game after all these years, because I never even died. The improved framerate makes the platforming easier, so you are far less likely to miss jumps. And the game swarms you with ammo, armor and health pickups. Even if the rebalanced gameplay is arguably harder, I still never had any trouble.

But yeah, I'd say it's fairly short overall. Granted, if you don't know where to go, it might last you longer. The levels are quite the mazes.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:20:29 19-02-2019
  • TheHammerite 19 Feb 2019 12:49:46 3,455 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86

Remastered T1 doesn't allow you to save anywhere? Assumed you could as you can in T2 remastered.
  • Malek86 19 Feb 2019 13:06:16 8,494 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TheHammerite I guess they just had to in T2, because save points are way too few, and the game is a lot harder than T1 in the first place.

The first game does have a few more save points, and there are also several checkpoints in the levels (you'll respawn there if you die, but lose a life in the process). So it was probably unnecessary.
  • uiruki 19 Feb 2019 16:47:55 4,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím back, but with no 50 game target this year.

1. Judge Eyes - PS4 - 5/5

Very, very good. I think it might be my favourite story in the RGG universe yet and Iím a big fan of the cast; Yagami is a likeable protagonist and good ďstraight manĒ while Kaito, his ex-Yakuza partner, is one of my favourite characters full stop. The game takes an approach like a TV drama rather than a film of anime, and while the length of some of the ďepisodesĒ is inconsistent, the whole thing builds to as satisfying a climax as theyíve managed to pull off.

The battle system is excellent too; enemies are tuned to do more damage than Iím used to but when youíre playing well youíre just bouncing off walls and flipping over people. The end got a bit hairy though - make sure you remember to get some food as well as the usual energy drinks because youíll need them!

Of course it isnít perfect, with a few little annoyances that persist, but after a couple of weeks I canít remember them. Instead I remember the crazy situations, the fun battles, the plot and the friendship system, where you regularly check in on people around the city to advance their stories, maybe do a few side cases and generally become a bit more of a resident of Kamurocho than Kiryu ever did.

2. Monster Boy - Switch - 3/5

Good overall. My main issues were the occasional difficulty spikes mostly driven by high enemy damage; there were long periods where I would make constant progress punctuated by little difficulty spikes where the game decides that if you havenít bought the right equipment you can die in two hits.

Loses a mark per the Kangaroo Court system for having both a slippy slidey ice world and control reversing power downs.

3. Crackdown 3 - PC - 3/5

Itís fine. I definitely would have been annoyed if Iíd paid full price but as part of game pass itís a fun way to pass a weekend. It needed more Terry Crews (they get him, then all the story stuff after the start is generic because you can choose different agents - boo!) but I enjoyed bouncing around the city with the Director acting as my hype man. Fun weapons and agility orbs did enough to make up for some occasionally shonky targeting, a throwaway story making everything a bit samey and some weird difficulty spikes.

I wasnít happy with how it ran on my PC; Iím used now to having to turn down rendering resolution on my 1070 but the constant micro-stuttering is really bad and made it look much less smooth than the (excellently detailed) performance information let on. I shouldnít be able to perceive judder at a reported 100 frames a second!
  • Malek86 19 Feb 2019 17:56:03 8,494 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just started Turok 2, and admittedly there's a big difference. No massive input lag (controls are still heavier than the average shooter, but not by much) and being able to save anywhere is great. The usual accessibility options also make it much less sickness-inducing.

Now, those new hint marks seem a bit excessive, I think a simple highlighting would have sufficed. But given how dispersive this game can be, I still enabled them.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:58:41 19-02-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.