Following Recently Completed Games Page 580

• JoelStinty 3 May 2019 22:20:42 7,925 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hollow Knight.

Completion 71%
    Time: 41 Hours

A really good game, an engrossing world, some great combat, and lots to explore through its metroidvania gameplay. A few wonky moments, but it never frustrates for too long. Really enjoyed the game world that had been designed, but the stars of the show are the bosses from a gameplay standpoint, but also artistically. Some real character to them. Infact all of the world's inbugitants are really memorable, considering there is little dialogue that is some achievement.

I didn't find it too difficult either, or maybe it never frustrated me. A couple of bosses took an hour or so to dispatch (not in one fight, just repeated tries!) and the final boss i found a lot easier than most other bosses (took me a few tries and thats it) but it just learning the signs to do what you need to do. Its fun. Some of the platforming can be frustrating, but those moments are extremely rare and its nitpicking. And some of it is down to being in a new environment without a map and fumbling through the area to find the cartographer. I love the map system in this too. Unfolds over time, greys in areas you been too, but you can set markers down for all those bits you can access yet.

However it is a game that i didn't love, i mean, those are special and rare games that do that, right? So i may have to think why i didn't so, despite enjoying it immensely. I never felt the same pull as Bloodborne or Breath of the Wild. It may be that it is something that unlocks over time, and appreciate it more in talking about it afterwards, a bit like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which i rated 7/10 at the time, but have grown to like it much more since as i seem to think about it often and speak enthusiastically of it on forums or in person.

Saying that i would give this an easy. 4.5/5

Now on to lore videos!

Edited by JoelStinty at 22:22:59 03-05-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 May 2019 17:54:43 5,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Metro Exodus (PC) - 8/10

Well, that was weird.

A curious mixture of bleeding-edge AAA technology, combined with the writing and voice-acting of a slightly over-ambitious indie game and some very strange design decisions.

Loved the visuals and atmosphere. Liked the gunplay when I was able to indulge in it. Got a bit frustrated with the very, very long dialogue bits (many of which are awful). Got frustrated with the don't-kill-people ending-anxiety (just for once, I'd love to see the "best" ending come from being a bloodthirsty bastard). Got completely bemused by the pacing, which sees almost no combat in the final couple of hours of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it's one of the weirdest AAA titles I've played in a while. Lovely tech-demo for ray-tracing and various other next-gen features, though. Made me feel slightly less guilty for the 9900K/2080Ti purchase.
  • Malek86 5 May 2019 10:20:42 8,490 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Prey 2017 (PC)

Much closer to a successor to System Shock 2 than Bioshock ever was.

The combat is pretty iffy, but the exploration and stealth make up for it. problem is, the game drags on way too much. Most of the quests boil down to "go to the other side of the station", and with no fast travel option available (plus some respawning enemies) it eventually becomes a chore. By the end, I had upgraded my stamina and athletic abilities to the max, and I just sprinted and jumped everywhere, avoiding any and all enemies. The enviroments get pretty samey after a while, too.

While SS1 and SS2 also got a little tired by the end, I think Prey suffered more, because it just feels longer. By the end, the Steam counter says 21 hours, so yeah, that's pretty long overall. I'm pretty sure SS2 could be finished in 11-12 hours top even by a new player.

And even then, apparently your choices don't matter much, because aside from the ending you get for being a total bastard, in every other case you'll always get the same bad/good ending choice after the credits.

Overall, pretty good for around 12 hours, too bad it lasts almost double that much.

7/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 May 2019 10:23:21 5,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 I think Prey would have been better if it had been a bit more sparing with the whole "respawn enemies in areas you've already cleared" schtick. Not saying it shouldn't do it at all, but when every trek across the station started to feel like a battle of attrition, it got a bit dull.
  • Malek86 5 May 2019 10:29:46 8,490 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:Got frustrated with the don't-kill-people ending-anxiety (just for once, I'd love to see the "best" ending come from being a bloodthirsty bastard).
    Unfortunately I don't know any straight examples (must be a not-so-implicit admission that violence is bad).

But I do remember a meta case in Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Getting the good or bad ending depends on saving at least half of your friends. If you can save all of them, you'll get the good ending, plus a mere congratulatory message. Kill every single one, and you'll get the bad ending... but the villain will also congratulate you, and the game will let you restart with infinite grenades.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:30:48 05-05-2019
  • Mr_Sleep 5 May 2019 10:37:40 22,668 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Malek86 I think Prey would have been better if it had been a bit more sparing with the whole "respawn enemies in areas you've already cleared" schtick. Not saying it shouldn't do it at all, but when every trek across the station started to feel like a battle of attrition, it got a bit dull.
    I agree. I got pretty far into Prey, I was near what felt like the end and there was loads of fighting required and I wasn't really feeling it as it felt a bit if a chore.

I might replay it though, with a better idea of how to progress from when I first played it, I feel like I will enjoy it more.
  • Malek86 5 May 2019 10:41:25 8,490 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep tbf the game does a pretty good job of constantly making you think you are near the end, then throwing some other obstacle your way. Yesterday I left the game at a point where I thought I was very close to the end, but then this morning I had to play another 4 hours before finally seeing the credits. And that was with running past all the enemies.

On the plus side, there really isn't a lot of fighting required aside from a couple quests. Fortify your running, jumping and health, and you'll be dashing past everything dangerous, and skipping a lot of paths by climbing all over the place. It's actually way more convenient than stealthing (which is useless after you get a neuromod for running silently) or fighting (which is useless because enemies respawn).

Not gonna replay myself, that's for for sure. Gotta move to greener pastures.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:44:04 05-05-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 6 May 2019 11:07:44 3,461 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Resident Evil 5 (xbox one port)

Would of given up as the AI is broken trash but a friend jumped in and took over. The game is a mess if you play solo with the AI, it dies a lot even on normal, waste ammo and herbs. If that was the only problem, the game is a lot more shooting than RE4 ever was (which can be fun for a bit as long as you are playing with human partner) but its not a Resident Evil game. They could of played hundred other shooter games but they had demand RE become another shooter. (Which killed Dead Space after the third game). Also the port is hardly a remaster like some try to make it out it is

6/10 with a real person 4/10 with the AI

Also we played the Desperate escape DLC, never played it on last gen, makes the main game look like a tactical shooter, its that dumb. Thankfully quite short apart from when my friend kept on shooting the endless waves of enemies.

3/10
  • whatthefu 6 May 2019 16:25:16 1,228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Crackdown 3.

Wasn't gonna bother after seeing a review or two, but since it's on game pass I gave it a go. I was pleasantly surprised.
    I haven't played a crackdown game before and I did enjoy it. It's quite short but I 100%'d most of the events and locations, so it took almost 15 hours.
    One boss in particular must have taken about an hour and 100 goes to beat lol.

I would play another if they make it. The ending seemed to suggest there will be more, but I know there was a lot of development issues with it and it went straight to game pass so who knows.

I haven't played the fabled Wrecking Zone multiplayer yet. I'll have to see the power of the cloud.

7/10

It has made me want to get Just Cause 4.
  • dsmx 6 May 2019 17:51:30 8,392 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon I gave up with Prey around the time I got to that garden place at the top of the station because once I cleared it, which was a pain in the arse the first time, I started moving about the various areas of the station and all the enemies had re-spawned.

The time and resources I spent clearing an area only to have to whole place repopulated with enemies the second I leave the area? Fuck that was my thoughts around that time and I've never been back.

Shame really because I quite liked the world and the plot but not enough to put up with re-spawning enemies when I'm thrown into a survival situation.

Edited by dsmx at 17:51:55 06-05-2019
  • JoelStinty 7 May 2019 10:19:57 7,925 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Devil May Cry

Time: 5 Hours completion - probably 6-7 with retries.

It hasn't aged to well, though it is still fun to play. Action games have come a long way since this one. A couple of poorly designed moments can make it frustrating, and you be often fighting stuff off camera, but its combat is still satisfying, if basic, but given the constraints that ain't a bad thing, as you don't have to do super combo's to get past any given enemy.

The mission structure is ideal for dip in and out (or blitz through over a bank holiday weekend ahem), and means that any frustrating parts you can get back to within a minute or two. Gameplay is get some weird mcguffin to open a door and fight a long the way, which may sound tedious, and it certainly feels a bit aloof, but its strangely engaging.

HD remaster is all over the place, some of the environments look great. But cut scenes are a mess, and the menu's haven't been up-ressed either. Its a bit half arsed, but at times it does show you how capable the PS2 was.

I never played two or three, so look forward to playing them and seeing how Dante Evovles, given the first game, he may dress cool, but he is a bit of a dandelion. Not sure why people got in a tis over DmC and old him up as a pariah.

Decent, though it does have a few issues. Worth picking up if you are interested i think.

3/5
  • DrStrangelove 9 May 2019 21:48:18 14,258 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tales from the Borderlands--kind of. Actually I watched someone else playing it on Youtube. Because I can't wait for BL3 and Tales is canon so I wanted to know what happened.

I played the demo and I hated it. The beginning is pretty slow and not that great really. What really made me revile it was its QTE-based gameplay. QTEs are an abomination, the second worst game mechanic after pay-to-win microtransactions. QTEs are just unacceptable. The main reason why I enjoyed watching someone else play it more than playing it myself. I think this game could be massively improved if there was an option to just disable them and make those situations cutscenes.

I also didn't like how it seemed to change the tone of Borderlands. Instead of being exclusively lunatic psycho shit there were fairly normal characters with a lot of nerdy dialogue and such.

But damn, it got better later into ep.1 and ep.2-4 were pretty awesome. I wasn't a fan of how my hero Handsome Jack was introduced, but hell he soon became excellent. That was the Jack I loved so dearly. Almost every scene with him was a joy. In stark contrast to TPS which completely failed doing Jack and I just wanted him to shut up and piss off.

I found ep.5 a little of an anticlimax but still I've learned some damn respect for the writers. For the most part, it's really great stuff.

There are some issues, like a lot of massive plot holes and scenes often being stretched so long that they really overstay their welcome (again, especially in the beginning which was also the demo). Some distractingly weird animations as well.

Still, after seeing how great it can be I'll definitely buy it on the next sale and go through my own story, I'm even willing to endure the QTEs for that. My first run will be being a total bellend in every situation and see what happens.

No score, but it's great.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:07:46 09-05-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 May 2019 23:32:10 10,571 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Last Guardian

Just beautiful.

Epic, emotional, at its peaks it delivers some of the most glorious and cinematic scenes in gaming. The world feels ancient and powerful, it's architecture labyrinthine and mysterious, and Trico...

God it's just absolutely perfect.

100 happy cries out of a hundred
  • Rodney 12 May 2019 00:13:38 3,878 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Splinter Cell: Black List

If you like the old Splinter Cell games then this is much better than Conviction but still undermined by trying to be all things to all people. You can actually play it like a proper stealth game, for the most part, but it's fairly dumbed down and much more linear compared to the originals. There are many areas you can "ghost" by just taking a short cut and skipping past the enemies which feels a bit cheep.

The storyline was such Republicans wet dream, I was surprised there wasn't a mission to assassinate a transgender abortion doctor, but I suppose it was well done for what it was. The new Sam Fisher voice actor was pretty decent, although no Michael Ironside, which is pretty much how I felt about the whole thing. Just give us a proper Splinter Cell game ya cunts.
  • Rajin 12 May 2019 01:15:36 820 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God of War(ps4): 8

I loved the storytelling(the plot itself is simple enough) but felt that it really needed a lot more enemy variety and less of those undead thingies. In older games it definitely was worse but they were cannon fodder. I also felt that aside from a couple puzzles they were less engaging then god of war 3 or ascension. Combat opens up a bit too late and death feels cheap in the early to mid game, the 30 fps, slow camera when more then a couple enemies show up hamper it even further. The loot system is pretty badly designed with armour levels dominating your decisions till late game. Most armour sets are useless and side mission content aside from some cool stories, were pretty standard. The sidequest are also dominated by repeated caves and mine shafts making the visuals a bit boring. The overall desig of the world itself is amazing though.

Overall I still love this game but dont feel it deserves its high praise by most critics.
  • Darth_Flibble 13 May 2019 09:01:56 3,461 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tacoma (xbox one)

I found it better than gone home (their last game) but I really think they could of done more than just another walking sim. you just watch a lot of AR cutscenes and read their emails. I really think they could of done more like solving puzzles on the space station. The ending is a bit meh

Glad its just another gamepass game as its not worth buying
  • Malek86 13 May 2019 11:52:45 8,490 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Tacoma (xbox one)

I found it better than gone home (their last game) but I really think they could of done more than just another walking sim. you just watch a lot of AR cutscenes and read their emails. I really think they could of done more like solving puzzles on the space station. The ending is a bit meh

If you haven't played it, you might like The Turing Test more. It's more Portal than walking sim, but with extra philosophical waxing.
  • Darth_Flibble 13 May 2019 17:44:18 3,461 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Tacoma (xbox one)

If you haven't played it, you might like The Turing Test more. It's more Portal than walking sim, but with extra philosophical waxing.
    Played it on GwG and really enjoyed it
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 09:32:55 1,805 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rage 2.

Not sure how to score it. Combat is amazing. Everything else is very dull, not bad, just really boring.

Maybe either a 6 or 7.

So the bit id did was epic, avalanche bit was pants. Mad Max is a better game.
  • Gunzberg 15 May 2019 10:22:00 2,714 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Far Cry New Dawn played on XB1 on my glorious Samsung Q9FN 4K TV

- So pretty
    - Far Cry Action is great
    - Some radio stations have amazing songs
    - Some missions, everything is just right, the characters, the action, the sound
    - Fun companions, especially the animal ones
    - More Joseph Seed

Not so good:

- Basically finished it in 3 to 4 very long play sessions
    - Not really a fan of having to redo expeditions to gain crafting materials
    - World is a bit smaller than FC5 but nicely revamped!
    - I hate how all the main chars have to be some kind of hipster, typical Ubisoft crap

Did not care pos or neg about:

RPG elements

Overall a solid 8, especially since I got it cheap used
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 11:06:43 5,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gunzberg I've not finished it yet (near the end, I think), but I love the expeditions. One of the best things they added to the game, to my mind.
  • Nitrous 15 May 2019 13:35:33 1,799 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FarCry 5 (PS4)

Finally finished it over the past few days after leaving it for a few months. I still think I'd seen most of what it had to offer after taking over my fist region.

Good graphics and the gunplay was great even driving wasn't awful. The story though was shit and although it had 2 endings both made the past few days/hours of playing seem rather pointless.

7/10 based on the driving, shooting and stealth gameplay when it wasn't ruined by wildlife.
  • RawShark 15 May 2019 14:32:31 583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Severed (PS Vita)

Had some long haul flight recently so dug the Vita out to catch up on some games I'd missed the first time around. Got through a few of them but I think this was by far my favourite. Drinkbox just know how to balance a game just right and stop it from getting boring (despite the fact that you pretty much do the same thing throughout the whole game). Presentation and soundtrack were both superb, the levelling system was just set so you don't have to grind, but do have to make difficult decisions as to what to spend your giblets on, and the story... well it's left wide open enough for Souls players to get on board with.

Loved it, platinumed it, wished there was more of it.

9/10
  • Humperfunk 15 May 2019 14:49:11 7,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oof what a game Severed is. Tremendous.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 15:23:00 5,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    FarCry 5 (PS4)

Finally finished it over the past few days after leaving it for a few months. I still think I'd seen most of what it had to offer after taking over my fist region.

Good graphics and the gunplay was great even driving wasn't awful. The story though was shit and although it had 2 endings both made the past few days/hours of playing seem rather pointless.

7/10 based on the driving, shooting and stealth gameplay when it wasn't ruined by wildlife.
    I actually liked the story (ok, maybe a few too many bits where the player gets captured) and thought the "true" ending (the one that leads into New Dawn) was clever. They do telegraph the whole "escalating international tensions" things a few times throughout the game.

I acknowledge that this puts me in a small club.
  • Gunzberg 16 May 2019 10:13:33 2,714 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon Actually now that I redid some expeditions with legendary weapons in every slot they are more fun. Some of the locations Downed Plane, Downed Satellite, Amusement Park in the Swamp are quite cool!
  • dominalien 16 May 2019 16:43:12 9,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    428 Shibuya Scramble on PS4

That was very nice. Took me an eye-watering 67 hours. I liked a visual novel where I actually had to work to get to the end. I'll certainly try to get all the trophies I missed and the true ending. One part of the story I found poor was the dad and the cop actually trying to kill a girl to save another. I thought it was rather too far-fetched. Otherwise, as fun a romp as one could ask for.

8/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.