Recently Completed Games Page 581

• wuntyphyve 18 May 2019 10:12:54 12,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Surge

Resumed this last week after abandoning last year. You know, itís a fairly decent souls like. Itís full of graphical glitches, the combat is a bit loose and moveset is limited, I wasnít a fan of the bosses but there are only 5, the environments donít differ much (which personally I didnít mind, as they were fitting to the location) and there a few other niggles. However, the level design is fantastic, the levelling and upgrade system works really well, the limb targeting is a nice touch, decent variety of enemies, I like the drone mechanic as well.

A good solid 7.5/10
  • Malek86 18 May 2019 13:57:57 8,442 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @dominalien 67 hours is a lot! I was done in less than 30, but then again, I read pretty quickly.

428 is more grounded in reality, so the far-fetched parts tend to stand out more. The first game, Machi, had different stories which were more varied, and many of them were humorous in nature. So there were such things as a guy whose fingers ran off while he was sleeping and tried to kill people, a girl who is eventually abducted by aliens, a boy who gets involved in a conspiracy by cabbage worshippers to try and conquer Shibuya... not to mention, the ol' switcheroo is played for laughs as a failed actor is forced to pretend to be a yakuza, lest he gets found out and killed by the local clan.

Shame it was never translated. I thought it was even better than 428.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:59:01 18-05-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 18 May 2019 23:40:30 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished the division 2... I appreciate what they have done in the endgame but there is no way I want to play another second of it.
  • Darth_Flibble 19 May 2019 09:58:42 3,420 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thimbleweed Park

Really enjoyed the game, I know they were going for old school control scheme to fit the game but it would of been nice if they ring icon to perform actions as it works better on a controller.

8.5/10

Batman Akrham Knight
    Been playing this on and off since buying the game in the sale with all the DLC in 2017.Played it before on ps4 at launch. Still think the driving is the weakest point of the game, especially when you do these riddler races. the car handles badly. Apart from that, its really good, having the joker talk to you adds a lot to the missions. Also the city is more fun to fly around compared to arkham city game

9/10
  • JamboWayOh 19 May 2019 15:02:19 13,130 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I enjoyed Arkham Knight but it was heavily marred by the batmobile being shoed in because the developers made it and wanted to keep showing it off. This coupled with having you complete all riddler challenges to get the true ending and some of those being car based was bullshit. I hope the new one supposedly being made by WB Montreal moves away from that.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:06:47 19-05-2019
  • whatthefu 19 May 2019 15:12:27 1,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I enjoyed Arkham Knight but it was heavily marred by the batmobile being shoed in because the developers made it and wanted to keep showing it off. This coupled with having you complete all riddler challenges to get the true ending and some of those being car based was bullshit. I hope the new one supposedly being made by WB Montreal moves away from that.
    Agreed on the batmobile.

Wait.. there's going to be a new one?
    I assumed when Rocksteady left that was the end of it. Interested to hear more when info comes out.
  • JamboWayOh 19 May 2019 15:23:45 13,130 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Agreed on the batmobile.

I assumed when Rocksteady left that was the end of it. Interested to hear more when info comes out.
    It's been rumoured for a while it's a prequel, Rocksteady aren't involved as they're finished with the series and making whatever it is they're making for the next gen.
  • Darth_Flibble 19 May 2019 15:31:24 3,420 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just watched the true ending on youtube back in 2015, it was shitty to lock it behind all the riddler challenges. Some dev really liked the racing sections and just dug his heels in it seems as they are disliked a lot. Its fine around the city but when you need to drive perfect

Played some of the DLC, they tend to be too short, still have the batwoman one to play (which is suppose to be the longest one) They wasted a lot of time with non story races and other batmobiles

Just looked up this WB mnotreal game, might be called Arkham Crisis (no doubt reusing Arkham knight assets etc)
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2019 15:41:35 10,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Batgirl dlc isnít that all that long either Iím afraid but is bigger, still just a couple of hours though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 May 2019 15:57:04 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pony Island (PC) - 7/10

Waiting in for workmen today - and taken the day as leave rather than working from home. Wanted to play some games, but worried that the average boom-smash-bang AAA game might result in me missing the doorbell. So... time to try some indie hipsterwank.

Actually, this wasn't too bad. Some decent atmosphere building in places and a neat framing narrative. The big drawback is that while the endless runner game-within-a-game is obviously deliberately crap, it still makes you play a lot of something that is deliberately crap.

But hey, it's over quickly and I didn't hate it.
  • FIFAfan 23 May 2019 22:44:39 226 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One via Game Pass)

Pros:
    + Decent amount of puzzle-solving and Tomb Raiding
    + Great sense of isolated exploring - hiking, climbing, swimming
    + Wonderfully immersive setting and environments - graphics and sound are top notch

Cons:
    - Tombs still feel a touch short compared to the original games' labyrinths
    - Too much combat still - unnecessary para-military antagonists
    - Over-the-top action set pieces spoil the quiet adventuring mood

A mostly good game, sometimes great. Next time I'd like to see them expand on the Tomb Raiding, and limit human combat to no more than a few low volume encounters.

4/5

Edited by FIFAfan at 10:15:21 24-05-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 24 May 2019 22:26:06 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Super dragon ball heroes world mission 7/10

I kinda enjoyed my time with the game a lot. However, i couldnít recommend it to anyone not a dragon ball fan. The last mission took me 2.5 hours until I rejigged my team and just pumped power multipliers upon power multipliers.

Anyway, I have only used 1/3 of the cards and will continue to play to unlock even more.
  • dsmx 25 May 2019 01:10:05 8,382 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Days Gone, some mild spoilers ahead.

Slow to get going.

Bugs, I've got a lovely one which has meant an entire area is not loading in properly preventing me from doing a mission. Earlier in the game I got stuck inside a Nero building thank god for the autosaves or I would of had to start again.

Frame rate is awful at times even on the PS4 pro and can yo-yo about with no obvious reason.

Loads times can be excruciating.

Initially fuel is a problem and an annoying mechanic but by the time you get fuel tank 4/5 it's a minor problem pity that point feels like 15-20 hours into the game.

The plot is quite formulaic but it's good enough, well voice acted and it's not cringe-worthy so overall it's very watchable.

I enjoyed playing it, I liked the world they setup and I like how they ended the game with the setup for the sequel when you do the final meeting at the graveyard.

When the plot finally gets going it is a lot better, it's just a pity that happens after you leave the third camp which again is about 15-20 hours into the game.

Overall though I enjoyed the open world more than most other open worlds, the map itself feels just about the right size with very little wasted space and there's very little terrain that isn't used for something. I also appreciate they didn't ubisoft it by machine gunning collectables by the thousand on it.

Getting about is easy and clearing out hordes makes travelling about even faster also petrol stations are generally free of freakers so filling up fuel is generally pretty easy.

I wouldn't say you must play this game like I did with God of War last year but overall I would say it is a good game with technical issues and some mild irritations that tend to become less of an issue the further in the game you get.

Edited by dsmx at 01:12:34 25-05-2019
  • KnuttinAtoll 25 May 2019 23:23:12 7,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resident Evil 7

Scariest game I played in years, on one particular occasion I jumped so badly that I even scared the wife who was in the room next door.

Unfortunately the excellent (if unpleasant) initial half of the game of suspenseful horror was followed by a more by the numbers corridor shooter style gameplay in the second half (or maybe final third only to be fair). So towards the end I really wanted it to finish but it did drag a bit, which is the main reason for not getting top marks.

8/10

Also bought REmake 2 and am in fact looking forward to playing this more, but think I need a little break from story driven games - I really don't have the patience for these anymore these days.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 23:25:06 25-05-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 May 2019 09:47:56 5,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Far Cry New Dawn (PC) - 8.5

An interesting post-script to Far Cry 5. In some ways, it improves on its predecessor (better weapon variety, improved outposts, expeditions are great), and in others it backslides a bit (too much emphasis on scavenging, bullet-sponge enemies, some under-developed parts of the world map). The story's a bit of a step down from 5 as well, though I did have my own little internal meta-narrative going on in which what I was really fighting for was to get the Highwaymen to shut up that godawful racket they seem to consider music.

Did all major sidequests, but still have a few activities outstanding I may go back and mop up later.
  • wuntyphyve 26 May 2019 11:32:21 12,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Division 2

More of the same but better. I should t like these games as in paper they do nothing for me, yet Iíve played through and very much enjoyed both of them. The moment to moment gunplay is sublime, the game world is rich and detailed and thereís no shortage of stuff to do. The narrative is pish once more but I never seem to care. Iíd play another.

Red Dead Redemption 2

I got this on release week but took two big breaks. Mainly due to having various souls related itches I needed to scratch and then got sidetracked by The Division 2. Its been amazing regardless however. The world is evocative of the era (as I imagine it to have been) and the story was brilliant. The cast of characters all vividly realised and brought to live by marvellous animation and voice acting. I cared about most and hated the ones I was meant to. As a game it was immersive yet slow paced. A pace I would argue that it had to have. The story it told was not of one person, nor even multiple people, but of an age. I cannot praise the game highly enough and the final scene echoing a scene from the end of rdr1 was quite an emotional gut punch. Fantastic.
  • Gunzberg 26 May 2019 12:25:47 2,704 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Far Cry New Dawn (PC) - 8.5

An interesting post-script to Far Cry 5. In some ways, it improves on its predecessor (better weapon variety, improved outposts, expeditions are great), and in others it backslides a bit (too much emphasis on scavenging, bullet-sponge enemies, some under-developed parts of the world map). The story's a bit of a step down from 5 as well, though I did have my own little internal meta-narrative going on in which what I was really fighting for was to get the Highwaymen to shut up that godawful racket they seem to consider music.

Did all major sidequests, but still have a few activities outstanding I may go back and mop up later.
    damn right on the music, I shot the radios sometimes before the mobs
  • TechnoHippy 26 May 2019 14:08:24 15,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tacoma

Just been added to Game Pass, so decided to give it a look. It's a lightly interactive story with negligible puzzle elements. I did like the story about the recovery of the station AI, and the mechanism for accessing the AR recordings of the crew worked well. It's a decent enough story, and the play time is quite short at less than 2 hours, so worth a look.

7/10
  • Darth_Flibble 26 May 2019 15:34:30 3,420 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Banner Saga

Had the second game on games with gold but never played the 1st game. 1st game is on gamepass now and while its good, has few bad points (which they have suppose to have fixed in 2)

The combat gets quite samey and the game does go OTT with how much resources you lose and the choices get annoying as keeps throwing them at you. Thankfully on easy, the game does not punish you too much. The combat is pretty decent and the graphics have nice style to them

7/10
  • docrob 26 May 2019 15:51:37 1,167 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FIFAfan wrote:
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One via Game Pass)

Pros:
    + Decent amount of puzzle-solving and Tomb Raiding
    + Great sense of isolated exploring - hiking, climbing, swimming
    + Wonderfully immersive setting and environments - graphics and sound are top notch

Cons:
    - Tombs still feel a touch short compared to the original games' labyrinths
    - Too much combat still - unnecessary para-military antagonists
    - Over-the-top action set pieces spoil the quiet adventuring mood

A mostly good game, sometimes great. Next time I'd like to see them expand on the Tomb Raiding, and limit human combat to no more than a few low volume encounters.

4/5
    I wish they would do an HD remake of TR2. That was by a mile my favourite game of the series and Iíd buy it again in a heartbeat. Come on, you gave us remakes of RE1 & 2...
  • ChiefGB 27 May 2019 21:20:28 10,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kingdom hearts 2, I made it!!!!
    Second time completing, first time was back in the day.
    It really is much better than the first, gameplay is much advanced from the original. A step up in the camera, controls and in all itís a classic PlayStation game in its pomp which manages to hold up. Yes itís got a lot more of the organisation nonsense than the original, and yes they revisit many of the same worlds but itís stuffed full of things to do. The voice acting is top as well (thereís some big names in there as well as much of the Disney in house vaís). It even manages to hit home a little with its messages by the end.

For those whoíve not played or are starting the first, wondering whether it gets better, it really does. The first has a terrible opening few hours but does get there and is the core of it all so kind of essential still.
  • Graxlar_v3 27 May 2019 22:53:10 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ChiefGB I just finished the first tonight, does the healing delay get better in 2?
  • Graxlar_v3 27 May 2019 22:54:53 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also I seem to have completely skipped the nightmare before Christmas world. Which is a shame as I love that movie
  • Graxlar_v3 27 May 2019 23:14:09 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    (Ha! Apparently chain of memories comes first...
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2019 01:00:48 10,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 still a source of frustration if you get stunned whilst casting.

You must have done well as I found the end of the first rather challenging, are you running through on easy?
    Probably for the best as thereís loads to get through.

yeah chain of memories is quite different, being card based with its combat and more broken into pieces due to its ds heritage I guess. I bailed out before the end of the first playthrough. It wasnít bad but I wanted to get back to 2, I also watched a bit of the 358 stuff before.
    Iíve gone back to 358 tonight and am considering having another go at com before I move forward with birth by sleep. At this rate it will be years before I start 3 lol, but Iím now looking forward to it as Iíd gone off the boil a bit, 2 has brought me back on these last few days.

Edited by ChiefGB at 01:06:26 28-05-2019
  • Malek86 28 May 2019 05:31:21 8,442 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    COM was pretty good, considering it was just a GBA game (how they managed to run that high-quality intro is beyond me). I thought the card gameplay was fine too. The plot was generally bad though.

I remember it was one of the very first cases of a plot-important sequel to a high profile game being released on a handheld console, where people only use to see spinoffs and adaptations (and Squenix made it clear that it would be relevant for KH2). It made a few waves at the time.

Edited by Malek86 at 05:33:20 28-05-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 28 May 2019 06:30:25 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ChiefGB I played on normal it took me about 18 hours (and about 2 months) to finish. I found the final fight more frustrating than difficult.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2019 07:15:54 24,525 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    whatthefu wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Agreed on the batmobile.

It's been rumoured for a while it's a prequel, Rocksteady aren't involved as they're finished with the series and making whatever it is they're making for the next gen.
    Is the 360 game (Origins) worth a playthrough. Still have that sealed. I know it is a diff devolper.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2019 07:25:59 24,525 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Assassins Creed BF on xbox1

My second time of completing, I did so on the 360 when it first came out.

Still one of my favourite AC games. I enjoyed the story, characters and world immensely. As with any Creed game, there is almost too much to do. I have many side missions and will certainly mop up some more before I can put it to bed.

Couple of frustrating missions (obviously) including some stealth... With a huge ship! Great voice work and if course the sublime ship battles.

9/10
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2019 10:35:51 10,685 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 oh I thought from the conversation the other night you were just starting, fair enough maybe Iím getting confused or mixing you up with someone else.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.