Following Recently Completed Games Page 582

• ChiefGB 28 May 2019 10:38:40 11,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 well, I enjoyed it at the time, I remember it started the detective reconstruction stuff which was very cool and used a little in Arkham knight. Go for it.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 May 2019 10:39:44 7,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ChiefGB ahh sorry. I meant I had bought kh3 to give me the push to finish 1 as I had been on and off it for a few months, chipping away at it an hour here or there before getting frustrated with a bit of it.

Itís kinda disappointing that the delay in healing hasnít gone :( but I am hoping everything else just feels smoother.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 May 2019 10:47:45 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 KH2's combat is much, much smoother than KH1's (though in fairness, the PS3/PS4 versions of KH1 remove some of the control/camera problems from the PS2 original). KH2's combat won't feel massively different to start with, but as the game progresses, it really opens up, with a much more flowing style than the original. I've seen it compared to Devil May Cry before, which probably isn't too far wide of the mark.

I think the healing delay in the KH1 games is pretty important. It's a way of making sure that you can't just heal at any time, but actually have to get a bit of distance from the enemy first.

Edited by Rogueywon at 11:06:11 28-05-2019
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2019 10:48:09 11,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 oh yes it definitely does, it all flows much better. First one feels stiff from what I recall. This is noticeably better to play.
  • whatthefu 28 May 2019 10:48:27 1,233 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 well, I enjoyed it at the time, I remember it started the detective reconstruction stuff which was very cool and used a little in Arkham knight. Go for it.
    Agreed.
    Even though it wasn't by Rocksteady it felt like more of the same to me. Which was a good thing
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2019 10:51:55 11,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also I literally found out about upgrading limits at the very end as I hardly used them and was wondering why guides suggested I use moves I didnít have (certain ones are unlocked/upgraded via levelling limits). Food for thought. Itís certainlay got deeper systems but you donít have to go down that route as long as you are levelled appropriately, also has lots of post game content but canít see myself going back for that.
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2019 10:53:08 11,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So anyway Iím guessing I can add 358/2 to this list today as Iím going to watch the rest of the scenes 🤣🤣
    Yep, thatís done. Took longer than I imagined, and yet for all the waffle theyíve added to the franchise they do manage to deliver strong messages to kids (if they can understand wtf is going on) around family and friendship.
    May take another look at COM before moving to birth by sleep.

Edited by ChiefGB at 18:35:12 28-05-2019
  • KnuttinAtoll 28 May 2019 22:37:40 7,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thimbleweed Park

Took me a while to get into this game and finally complete it (almost 2 years after I purchased it...) but in the end am glad I eventually did.

Got a fair few chuckles out of it, the puzzles were largely interesting and logical, although at some points I was too lazy and impatient to figure them out and instead used the (excellent) in-game hintline.

There are a lot of 80s/90s gaming culture references in the game, plus a fair bit of 4th walling going on (neither of which I felt was overdone, although the ending is probably a bit marmite - I quite enjoyed it and found it pretty amusing, but can understand others may disagree).

Most of the dialogue and voice acting was excellent - my favourites being Agent Ray by a long shot, and Krust.. I mean Ransome the potty-mouthed clown (found him annoying at first but he very much grew on me).

Some bits in the game design were a bit grating after a while, namely inventory management (you control 5 characters at some stage) and going back and forth between locations, and within them - the hotel lift was doing my head in towards the end. But overall the game's mechanics were well thought out and it's been a pleasure to play the game.

For what it is, I can't really fault it, definitely recomeded.

9/10

PS - if you haven't experienced the 80s I suppose some of the charm and in-jokes might get lost - in that case I'd probably give it an 8/10 instead.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 22:38:33 28-05-2019
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2019 22:59:20 14,233 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    whatthefu wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I enjoyed Arkham Knight but it was heavily marred by the batmobile being shoed in because the developers made it and wanted to keep showing it off. This coupled with having you complete all riddler challenges to get the true ending and some of those being car based was bullshit. I hope the new one supposedly being made by WB Montreal moves away from that.
    Agreed on the batmobile.

Wait.. there's going to be a new one?
    I assumed when Rocksteady left that was the end of it. Interested to hear more when info comes out.
    It's been rumoured for a while it's a prequel, Rocksteady aren't involved as they're finished with the series and making whatever it is they're making for the next gen.
    Is the 360 game (Origins) worth a playthrough. Still have that sealed. I know it is a diff devolper.
    Not a patch on the others tbh.
  • SiroccoJetProp 29 May 2019 21:12:25 280 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Layers Of Fear 2.

5/10

Corridor Simulator.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 May 2019 23:12:39 10,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Observation

Claustrophobic sci-fi thriller, wears its influences on its sleeves but those influences are films like 2001 and Alien and all those heavy paranoid classics.

Gameplay-wise it's puzzles, exploration, and reading. But that really sells it short as the story, atmosphere, visual design and brilliant audio drive things forward.

A couple of little niggles which I know have pissed others off but nothing that ruined my enjoyment.

9/10
  • TheHammerite 31 May 2019 07:03:29 3,455 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SiroccoJetProp wrote:
    Layers Of Fear 2.

5/10

Corridor Simulator.
    Wasn't aware there is a sequel. The first one was pretty good.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Jun 2019 13:16:37 14,377 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gato Roboto

It's a fun little game, although I'm not as excited as some others apparently are. I love the style, the soundtrack is good, and the shooting mechanics are slick and accessible.

The greatest problem in my opinion is balancing. Most of the time you're traversing areas sparsely populated by easy enemies, and then you'll fight a boss who's much tougher and more often than not an annoying bullet sponge. There are some sections where you have to leave your suit and are just a cat with no attack at all and instadeath on any hit. Most of the time it's not needlessly unfair but my most cat deaths were due to somewhat flimsy controls. Overall, there's little middle ground in terms of difficulty.

The world isn't that small actually, but most of the time it's pretty linear for a metroidvania game, so I finished it in 3:13 with 84% completion (although to be fair, once you know Super Metroid well, you can do it in less than that).

Finally, a minor issue, but since you'll need several attempts for most bosses, everytime you re-enter the boss room you'll have to go through all the dialogue again before the fight starts. Other games do that too, but it's still something that I think should be common sense to avoid. Thankfully it does so at least in the semi-final boss fight which has the longest dialogue.

So overall, it's pretty good with some minor issues, it's somewhat short, but definitely worth the Ä5.60 I paid on Steam. If you find the style interesting, I recommend going for it.

8/10
  • Bichii 1 Jun 2019 14:43:27 1,859 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HOLLOW KNIGHT PS4

Great challenging game, wonderful bosses and visual design.

Terrible back tracking and the worst map system ever made.

8/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2019 15:11:09 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rage 2 (PC) - 7.5/10

4 hours of great game spread across a 20 hour open world. Some wonderful gunplay, but seriously hampered by a boring open world, an in-game economy that is tuned way too mean and requires too much grinding and a serious lack of enemy variety.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2019 15:36:40 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time (PC) - 4/10

Such a pity. It looks and sounds fantastic. Up there with Ni No Kuni (the first one) in the "as close as you can get to playable anime" stakes. Unfortunately, the gameplay is not good. Basing the whole thing around a time-loop mechanic was a dubious decision. The fetch-quest mechanics, terrible quest-log and stiff combat went beyond "dubious" and into "crap". Very sad given how good the art side of the game is.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jun 2019 15:39:51 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Rage 2 (PC) - 7.5/10

4 hours of great game spread across a 20 hour open world. Some wonderful gunplay, but seriously hampered by a boring open world, an in-game economy that is tuned way too mean and requires too much grinding and a serious lack of enemy variety.
    Reads like a 5
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2019 15:41:51 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Nah, I enjoyed it more than I disliked it. If they'd gone for a level based structure, possibly on the semi-open basis of the first Crysis, it could have been a 9. I get the sense that a few months before launch, they realised the critical-path playtime was too short for their marketing team's comfort and added a load of busywork and grind to compensate.
  • uiruki 2 Jun 2019 23:08:49 4,862 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Right, been a bit busy the last couple of weeks.

7. Resident Evil 2 - PC - 5/5

Really great remake. Lots of fun to play, looks fantastic, plenty of tension, and doesn't hang around past its welcome.I spent a fair while during the game kind of wishing the shooting was a bit more consistent in terms of dealing damage to enemies, but that's not really the point is it? I really appreciated the way the map worked, too.

8. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PC - 5/5

It's the same game on PS4, but I managed to brute force it to 60fps+. The graphics really shine at higher resolutions and the controls fell really nice at higher framerates. Some glitches remain though; some minigames are harder to play at higher framerates and the ragdoll physics are even more comedic. It's like Titan Quest at times, flinging enemies all over the place. Penalising a game for having you launch enemies 10 feet into the air sometimes does feel like it goes against everything I like in games, so I won't do it.

9. Magic Potion Destroyer - PC - 3/5

Fun little idle game with a story. The soundtrack isn't quite the trance spectacular that it was in Magic Potion Explorer, which is a big shame. Looking forward to what comes next though.

10. Touhou Luna Nights - PC - 5/5

Ladybug just keep getting better and better with their Metroid-style platformers. Not being fully into the Touhou world, I didn't realise that the character you play as in this game is basically Dio Brando from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; as your chances to use your time stopping abilities increase you are just throwing tens of knives into every single enemy. Really fun game system based around slowing and stopping time, an excellent soundtrack, and some fun bosses all come together to make a really great 3-4 hour game with just enough bite to keep you entertained. There's an extra level coming on the 14th, I'll definitely try that out.

11. Blood and Truth - PS4 - 3/5

I've mentioned the curate's egg when talking about games before; here's another. The rotten core in this case is the PSVR hardware, or more specifically, the bits of it that had been hanging around for years before its release. But first, the positive bits!

When the tracking in this game works, it's fantastic. I've been banging on to friends about the times when you're trundling (and yes, you definitely trundle like BJ Blazkowicz at the start of Wolfenstein The New Colossus) through an exploosive action scene, popping the mooks with some incredibly fun akimbo weaponry. There's a sawn-off shotgun which is just apocalyptically powerful - point it roughly in the direction of an enemy, pull the trigger and he'll be yanked back like he's on a wire. The sub-machinegun is also excellent; clear feedback means that you're dialling in your aim in full auto, even when using two of them at once. Pistols also work nicely and there are a couple of stealthier areas where you can just headshot your way through with a silent 9mm - very fun.

The way the story's delivered works really nicely too. Your movement is limited and at times it feels a bit like a 90s FMV game with characters just talking to you but a lot of scenes, especially earlier on, let you fiddle with things nicely. There's a nice bit of choice at the end too.

Ultimately though, it doesn't work all the time, and it's a familiar problem - the PSVR tracking and move controllers. With the space I have, I can put my camera either straight in front of me or a bit above. Depending on the game a different position works better; I've been enjoying some Beat Saber recently (suspect it won't get a review as there's no way I'm finishing that campaign but that's a 5 if there ever was one) and the camera works best looking down from above. In that position in Blood and Truth, though, it results in quite a lot of headset swimming and the Move controller action becomes juddery. That rules that out. Playing with it in front isn't ideal either, though - while when using the guns in akimbo fashion works mostly fine, the tracking on the climbing works poorly, grabbing things is often frustrating, and basically as soon as you put one of the controllers in front of the helmet it basically stops working. This renders the long guns unusuable; you have to use them one handed. The rifle is just about usable as you can use it like a pistol, but the pump action shotgun is terible. And it should be amazing!

This is definitely a game I want to come back to next generation. I assume new hardware will help with the game resolution (even on PS4 Pro it's a bit blurry at times) but new VR hardware with more reliable tracking will make this a fantastic, if linear, experience. Of course, you might be fortunate enough to have a glitch-free PSVR setup - in which case add 2 to the score.
  • Singularity 3 Jun 2019 15:53:04 3,152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've played half of Blood and Truth and not had any of the issues you mention.
  • Derblington 3 Jun 2019 16:27:49 31,801 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Nah, I enjoyed it more than I disliked it. If they'd gone for a level based structure, possibly on the semi-open basis of the first Crysis, it could have been a 9. I get the sense that a few months before launch, they realised the critical-path playtime was too short for their marketing team's comfort and added a load of busywork and grind to compensate.
    It's not really the kind of thing you can just add if the content not already there, and they don't crunch.
    I also don't really understand the economy complaint? They give you points for everything you do - I was maxed out in everything that mattered about half way through the story and just massacred everything in my way.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jun 2019 16:34:24 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington Understand you have an attachment to the developer, but not sure I agree at all with what you're saying.

The worst of the busy-work feels like it could well have been late addition. In particular, the need to scavenge around locations to find chests once you've cleared them, if you actually want to get a reward. That's no fun at all (indeed, it's often quite frustrating), but it pads the playtime a lot. Having a simple reward screen pop up with your loot would have been simpler and less disruptive to the gameflow, but wouldn't have padded playtime in the same way.

I found the economy absurdly sparse. You can often need to clear multiple outposts to afford just one weapon upgrade. Vehicle parts are insanely annoying to get hold of, so if you want to upgrade vehicles, you are looking at a crazy timesink (fortunately, you don't need to as vehicle upgrades are almost completely irrelevant). The overall pace of character progression feels like it's tuned for a Fallout-style RPG, not for an action game.

I finished the game in just over 22 hours, doing a lot of side content along the way. While I was a decent way along with weapon ugprades, I'd barely made a dent on upgrading powers.

I didn't hate the game - I gave it a score that is more good than bad - but it is definitely over-stuffed with padding.
  • Derblington 3 Jun 2019 17:52:19 31,801 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I know a few people that work there but I don't have any attachment to them, I just don't think they would have hand placed all that shit late in the day. I don't disagree with your score either.

If you think the economy is tight with them, what the hell would it have been without the, literally, hundreds of chests that award extra feltrite, cash and mods?

But you get 3 ability points for every level of the 3 trees, weapon mods and all the other stuff from ark chests, 20 vehicles upgrade points for every convoy takedown, and almost every vendor sells 10 of each thing (almost as if they knew it could be boring to find all the chests and gave you other means to get them).
    I cleared a lot of stuff on the map but stopped searching for chests after a while because it was shitty running around after the signal. I maxed absolutely everything though, because once you upgraded a couple of powers a bit and the assault rifle, you can just breeze through everything and start racking up the point upgrades, because you get them for clearing the areas and not finding all the stuff.

Edited by Derblington at 18:03:34 03-06-2019
  • barchetta 3 Jun 2019 20:11:55 1,874 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A lot of the open world stuff sounds very much like Mad Max (hoovering all the chests, parts and emblems etc). So much so that it probably was in from day 1.

I really loved Max but this sounds less like a progression than a pale imitation (with better shooting).

I almost bought this but will probably wait a bit for Xbox One sales or even GamePass.
  • Malek86 3 Jun 2019 21:08:05 8,598 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pathologic 2 (PC)

A survival adventure game about a town hit by a mysterious plague, and your attempts to find a cure.

When you reach rock bottom, you can only go up from there. That's the entire game in a nutshell. Even with all its flaws and the unforgiving difficulty, it's hard not to recommend. The oppressive atmosphere and eerie soundtrack give it an uncanny look that is sure to stay with you for a long time.

And after a while, you'll even learn how to stay alive in a place where everything hates you.

8/10
  • drhickman1983 3 Jun 2019 21:28:57 5,994 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gato Roboto

Charming, light Metroidvania-lite.

Actually, calling it a Metroidvania doesn't feel entirely correct. Although you acquire new abilities which ostensibly let you access new areas, you don't really need to return to old areas to utilise the skills, as each zone, although linked by a central nexus, is quite self contained.

Still, that feels like being pedantic.

It's lovely to play, but very short. It's a rare case where I thought a game could have been longer; about 4 hours for me.

7/10
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Jun 2019 18:31:47 3,529 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Void Bastards

While I enjoyed a lot of my playthrough, I can't say its a buy as towards the end I found it too samey and got very repetitive (even upgrading and getting new items) Also the look of the levels feel very repetitive as well.

Worth a go if you have gamepass

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 8 Jun 2019 09:19:56 15,303 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Defence Grid 2

A fairly decent tower defence game on Game Pass. It has the usual mix of weapon and enemy types and some of the level design makes you need to think about your placement. An oddball story helps pull you through the game with some amusing moments along the way.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 9 Jun 2019 10:09:07 15,303 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tesla vs Lovecraft

Replayed and completed this after grabbing the DLC - it's a cracking twin stick shooter playing Tesla battling the hordes of Lovecraft's demons. Great fun, with some good progression.

9/10
  • Samildanach 9 Jun 2019 10:36:40 100 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
    Set between book 3 and book 4 of the excellent Lone Wolf game book series, this game, which was originally on ios/android, has been spruced up for consoles/PCs. Had this been a Joe Dever story with the usual simple but effective book battle system and varied, imaginative enemies, then I would have loved it; Instead it had to have 'cool 3d battle graphics' and a whole new battle system. As a result, being a budget title, there are only 5 different enemy types (with subtle variations) throughout the entire 18 hour game. Joe Dever does his best in the writing department to make the build up and settings for these endlessly repeating battles varied enough, but the tedium is pretty high.
    You are better off reading the books (especially as online versions of them are free, with the author's blessing).

2/5

Edited by Samildanach at 11:05:23 09-06-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.