Following Recently Completed Games Page 583

• Samildanach 9 Jun 2019 11:04:32 107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite
    Also completed this a short while ago, including the two storyline dlcs. Great stuff. A fantastic and imaginative setting with Columbia as well as the time era it is set in. Add in a interesting story with its alternative realities and a truly excellent companion in Elizabeth, you might say this is a masterpiece? Not quite as I found the combat itself okay, nothing bad but not overly compelling for the whole game. I really enjoyed my entire time with it, but felt no need to go through it again.

4/5
  • OnlyJoeKing 9 Jun 2019 19:22:07 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rage 2 - 8/10. Took just under 24 hours to max the character and finish the story.

There's so much I dislike about this game. Having to hunt down tiny data pad and annoyingly placed chests to complete locations is such a ballache. The story is appalling - one of the only games where I've just skipped literally everything I could.

And perhaps worst of all, it's just too easy! Maybe it's because I'm using a mouse and keyboard, but I only died once or twice. I unlocked all of the defibrillator perks that kick in when you die, but I never got to use it! And this on the hardest setting, and I'm not particularly good at shooters.

So I guess it says it all about how good the shooting is that I'd give it an 8/10. It's just so outrageously satisfying. Your abilities are intuitive, the movement is thrilling, the sound is crunchy as fuck. It's pretty much perfect.

It could have been pretty incredible, this. A better atmosphere, much better story, more of a challenge, maybe some stealth mechanics. But as it is, still well worth playing imo.
  • Addy__ 9 Jun 2019 19:25:43 1,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @OnlyJoeKing

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I did at first and then repetition and awful game world made me drop it at around half way through. Doubt I'll return to it. Still smarting at spending £30 on the pc version :/
  • OnlyJoeKing 9 Jun 2019 19:29:56 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Addy__ yeah, man, the world is just terrible. And yeah, it's repetitive, but I find gradually unlocking stuff is often what keeps me going in games, and there's a lot to work through in this one. So the fun shooting and movement and whatnot meant I was happy enough to play it to the end. Not something I can say for that many games really!

But yeah, so much of it is staggeringly poor.
  • OnlyJoeKing 9 Jun 2019 19:32:17 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I pretty much liked all of the guns apart from the grav dart thing, too, which helped a lot. Even the basic pistol is a bit of a beast once you've upgraded it all the way. Such meaty gunplay.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Jun 2019 20:47:33 6,361 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing It's certainly the laziest take on the post-apocalypse that I've seen in ages, in terms of the writing and world-building. They basically just seem content to go "hey, it looks a bit like Fallout and Borderlands, both of which have really fun worlds, so why don't you pretend it's one of those?"
  • OnlyJoeKing 9 Jun 2019 22:48:02 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon yeah it's just not well developed in any way.

Tasteless characters;

inexplicable fighting all over the map, over nothing, to bulk out a boring world;

the Trump guy was poorly done, no incisive critique there;

nothing surprising to find;

weapon and abilities hidden over the map was just annoying, that aspect was much worse than a crafted experience like Doom;

loads of pointless vehicles (and ugh, the driving, bleargh).

I could probably go on for a while.....

I guess that kindest thing you could say, is that maybe they decided to spend most of their effort on perfecting the gunplay? In which case, I guess I could say it was just about the right call. I mean, I played to the end. It was fun.

With better writing and game design, it would have been so, so much better. Hopefully this inspires a few better games.

But yeah, I still enjoyed it all the same! The guns.... I guess that if you're going to get one thing right in a shooter, it should be the shooting...

Edited by OnlyJoeKing at 22:48:28 09-06-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Jun 2019 17:54:42 3,598 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shenmue (xbox one)

When I first played it on the dreamcast, it was amazing "next-gen" experience, nothing like it before. Sadly this is lazy port, very little work has gone into the port, the textures look poor, no work has gone into fixing the low res DC textures. Also that goes for the character models, sound etc. No doubt the port was done on the cheap but its lazier than capcom port

I did like playing most of the game (despite they didn't add in the wait function from 2) but the last third of the game (working at the docks) its fucking awful, the game is stretched out and its not fun doing any of this. Some annoying boss fights unless you dodge and throw and spam that and becomes very easy. The last third of the game really brings it down

5/10
  • whatthefu 12 Jun 2019 19:44:38 1,236 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychonauts.

Second time I've completed it, last time was 2006 or so. I enjoyed it again, straight forward and pretty short. Some nice art and level design and the story/situation is pretty engaging. I didn't struggle as much on the final level as I did last time haha.
    Looking forward to the second one. Crazy that after all this time it is happening. I assume it will continue on where the first left off.

8/10

Edited by whatthefu at 19:45:08 12-06-2019
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jun 2019 21:01:43 22,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I seem to recall they patched the final boss at some point.
  • JoelStinty 15 Jun 2019 08:54:02 8,070 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Resident Evil 4 (Switch).

Time: 18 Hours.

Still a great game. First time i have replayed it since the PS2 days. Recently replayed Onimusha and Devil May Cry (First one) over the last couple of months and this is a giant leap on from those games, i guess its a culmination of everything they learned and more. The change to over the shoulder gameplay, It is more cinematic (influenced by Metal Gear no doubt), and even today it is a stunning looking game.

It is perhaps a little too long, and it kind of repeats itself with Leon losing Ashley, but it is never less than engaging all the way through. Combat is good, the cumbersome nature of aiming creates scary moments particularly in its early moments, but you soon become accustomed to it, and it does become more of an action game in the second half, but managing crowds and deciding which weapons to use i don't think has been really matched since. Its really well designed. I do miss the tighter metroid elements with opening new areas, it is there, but it is a more linear affair than other resi games.

The Switch version is expensive, but 30 quid for 18 hours, i can't complain too much. I felt i got my money's worth. It looks amazing in portable mode it looks and feels like a new game. Its really impressive. Disappointed there is no gyro controls. Hopefully they will be patched in, and will no doubt play it again.

4/5
  • lordofdeadside 16 Jun 2019 13:10:45 1,357 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gato Roboto - Switch

A really tight and streamlined Metroidvania with stylish animation and a CAT IN A MECH! The dialogue was surprisingly good with some gentle humour and a neat plot. 4-5 hours long too which made it a perfect holiday game.

Some of the bosses where perhaps a little frustrating, but nothing too major really.

9/10
  • dominalien 17 Jun 2019 08:21:05 9,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zelda BotW on Switch.

Finally, thank god. 130+ hours on the clock. I don't think I'll be coming back for the quests and shrines I missed. A masterpiece, but I'm just happy to be done.

9/10
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2019 08:24:16 21,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Slay The Spire (Switch)

"Completed" in the sense that I've unlocked everything and beaten the final boss once. But it has strong, random roguelike elements, so it's something I can keep coming back to. Which I will, because it's brillo.

10/10

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:17:30 17-06-2019
  • Malek86 17 Jun 2019 10:43:34 8,741 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Supermarket Shriek (Xbox One)

At a glance, it's a kart racer with unorthodox controls - think the arcade Battlezone. Takes a little getting used to but you'll be drifting like crazy in no time. In truth, however, it's less about racing and more about not dying to the million obstacles in the levels. Of course, going for a record time will net you more stars that unlock new accessories and courses. You don't gotta go fast, but you'd better do it anyway. And in some levels, if you aren't fast enough, you'll die. So there's that.

Later stages get stupid hard. The last few levels were particularly annoying. And judging from the achievements list, looks like the good ending only unlocks if you complete the last level in co-op. Completing it in single player only gave me an award bait song with a depressing ending. That was weird.

Good fun, even if slightly frustrating at times.

8/10

Game Pass keeps delivering. I'm getting through Guacamelee 2 now.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:44:45 17-06-2019
  • Chug666 17 Jun 2019 11:45:23 599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @dominalien I started zelda over the weekend. Its living up to the hype so far but at the pace I play games I think it'll take me years... Are there any non-essentials you would have skipped if you were playing again?
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Jun 2019 13:13:38 14,642 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Zelda BotW on Switch.

Finally, thank god. 130+ hours on the clock. I don't think I'll be coming back for the quests and shrines I missed. A masterpiece, but I'm just happy to be done.

9/10
    I have spent a similar amount of time with Zelda but I have only done 2 divine beasts. (Think I am close to starting the third as I am in a precursory quest for it).

I understand the love for it but it has not blown me away. I enjoy it when I play it but I tend to play 20 hours over a week or two and then leave it for a few months. The sequel trailer has got me interested again though.
  • dominalien 17 Jun 2019 14:36:02 9,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chug666 wrote:
    @dominalien I started zelda over the weekend. Its living up to the hype so far but at the pace I play games I think it'll take me years... Are there any non-essentials you would have skipped if you were playing again?
    Hmm, I would have probably explored less and did more quests. I tried going everywhere for a while and it was enjoyable, but got overwhelming very quickly. The rewards arenít really worth it, itís always just some rupees or a weapon you can easily get elsewhere. Quests are fun for the most part, so if Iíd just stuck to those Iíd have explored plenty anyway and possibly not have got so worn out.

I found the castle a real highlight, right at the very end of the game. An actual dungeon, and of perfect length. Itís totally possible to completely skip it, but Iíd advise against it.
  • Malek86 17 Jun 2019 16:03:42 8,741 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hah, I totally skipped the final castle in BOTW. Just climbed all the way to the boss room. In my defense, at the time I was burned out on the game and just wanted to finish it.
  • whatthefu 17 Jun 2019 18:11:48 1,236 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I skipped it by mistake. I didn't realise there was a dungeon in there
  • dai_bonehead 17 Jun 2019 23:59:30 470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Crackdown 3. Like the first but pyros have been on steroids. Scale is bigger. Some of the propaganda towers have me vertigo. Enemies aren't up to much in terms of A.I. but i still can't think badly of the game. Some nice music in there, too.

8 out of 10. Just like Crackdown, in fact.

And it's great to see Tony Crowther involved. He was a bit of a boy genius back in the day.
  • Darth_Flibble 19 Jun 2019 20:20:23 3,598 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shenmue 2 (xbox one port)

its a shame these ports didn't get a real remaster, tidy up some of the crappy and bad bits. The red leaf bit its horrible pain and I'm sure the devs have fucked up the command QTE as some have weird timing when some are fine (i bet the port team fucked it up)

Walking around Hong kong is still great and at the time on the dreamcast it was massive step up from the 1st game. The game still has a nice charm. One bit pissed me was the end boss fight before the epilogue as you have to do 4 command QTE after you beat him and its ones where the timing is a bit fucked. No checkpoint before the QTE

Hopefully shenmue 3 will not have all these dated gameplay shit but I think Yu Suzuki is stuck in his ways. Also on the e3 giantbomb podcast alex said the demo felt like it was stuck in a vault after shenmue 2 was made

6/10
  • SnackPlissken 22 Jun 2019 14:05:00 1,139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Quantum Break. I wanted to play this for a long time and what a letdown. The gameplay was enjoyable if a little messy. The story was awful and I just wanted it to end. Iím glad it was about 8 hours long.

That was my first Xbox exclusive in a long time.. onto Halo 5 next.
  • Malek86 23 Jun 2019 20:09:53 8,741 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Guacamelee 2 (Xbox One)

Another Game Pass title. Well worth playing through, even if it feels like I've seen it all before already. The dialogue is consistently funny, but I didn't care for any of the new characters, and the plot seems thrown together at random (well, not like the first game was a paragon of storytelling either, but it wasn't as senseless as this).

The chicken mechanics are more prevalent now, which is annoying because I hated being a chicken. Luckily the combat was just as satisfying as ever. Also, it's quite a challenge, while never becoming too frustrating. But the lack of new moves meant that, aside from the chicken parts of the game, it was almost an expansion of the first game rahter than a sequel.

And I still mantain that Metroidvanias need a more efficient form of fast travel.

8/10

That one euro for Game Pass Ultimate is really paying for itself. I should move onto the Metro trilogy next.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:14:42 23-06-2019
  • Trowel 23 Jun 2019 20:38:30 22,646 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Speaking of Metroidvanias in dire need of a better form of fast travel...

Hollow Knight

I'm still a little baffled by the universal praise given the need to play for about 20 hours before the game actually becomes enjoyable. Nothing short of a chore to get around early on, and the early bosses feel OP relative to your weak inventory. Still, I enjoyed most of the other game mechanics and lore, and played for about 70 hours through to 102% completion, at which point none of the remaining objectives appealed. The game comes into its own at around midway, but I think I'll never forgive it for that map.

7/10
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Jun 2019 21:08:36 3,598 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Old Man's journey

Worth playing if you have Gamepass as it so short and easy, but its nice looking and chill game to relax with.

Its a very simple game, you just have to move the hills with some simple puzzles to make the old man move across the levels. But the game has very little replay value

8/10 (if you have gamepass)
  • dsmx 24 Jun 2019 01:47:48 8,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well finally got around to finishing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I'm just left feeling like "is that it?"

Just as everything seemed to be ramping up, the game ended and left me feeling like it only had half the plot in it. I'm pretty certain if you ignored the side missions you would be done in a few hours.

Yes it's nice there re-playability since there are a few binary choices through the game you have to make but that doesn't make up for the lack of length to the main plot.

I'm left with a feeling of disappointment, but at least this time I didn't finish the game with praxis kits to spare like the last game.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jun 2019 08:27:42 15,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I gave this a try over the weekend, but ended up bored with it. I'm probably near the end so might go back. The moving landscape puzzles were a nice idea, but I just had enough of them. The atmosphere and style was lovely though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.