Following Recently Completed Games Page 584

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Jun 2019 12:10:06 6,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @dsmx Mankind Divided felt very much like the middle installment of a trilogy, with an ending which (as you say) isn't really an ending. Problem is, I've not seen anything to suggest that a third installment is on the cards.
  • dsmx 24 Jun 2019 13:23:29 8,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon It didn't even feel like a middle to me, what it feels like is an expansion to the first game simply because the core main missions can be gone through so quickly.

Maybe I didn't do myself any favours by playing Witcher 3 in the mean time but the blood and wine expansion for that contained far more to see and do while being a hell of a lot cheaper.
  • MrFlay 24 Jun 2019 13:39:36 4,120 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Banner Saga

I ended up really enjoying this turn based strategy with choose your own adventure elements. It's a real slog to get going and is initially very opaque about how you're supposed to fight. The tutorial is awful. Also characters dying in cut scenes because of decisions you made hours ago is perhaps not the best design choice. The writing is generally quite good and the setting is an original take on Scandanavian myth. I love the sense of bleakness and doom. It feels very apocalyptic.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jun 2019 14:15:17 21,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love The Banner Saga. It's almost worth it for the art alone, but there's a cracking game hidden under there too.
  • MrFlay 24 Jun 2019 15:02:47 4,120 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

I probably should have mentioned the art. It's fantastic. Wish there was a bit more animation and voice acting.
  • sickpuppysoftware 24 Jun 2019 15:48:40 1,485 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Katana ZERO
    Time-bending, memory-wiped, slashy slashy, pixel mudering fun. Incredibly testing but stylish and morish. I thought I'd finished this game around 5 times before I actually had. Even when I had I wasn't 100% sure. Side-on melee Hotline Miami and just as bonkers.

8/10
  • Rhaegyr 24 Jun 2019 16:03:48 4,808 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steamworld Heist

Great little game - loved the different classes/abilities and the 'real time' aiming. The only thing it needed was a bit more variety in level/enemy design and a bit more length. Hope we get a sequel one day.

8/10
  • docrob 28 Jun 2019 16:57:35 1,206 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thronebreaker: the Witcher Tales (PC)

Completed this last night. Quite pleased as itís one of my PWYGGWYP challenge games, and itís LONG - my playthrough came in at about 60 hours, though itís possible some of that was time when it was sitting idle.

Plus points:
    Very strong storyline (and some good plot twists)
    Excellent voice acting
    I like the graphical style - itís like a storybook
    Gwent is fun
    Inventive variations on the card game theme for the many puzzles - some of them were fiendish to work out
    Meaningful in-game choices: some of the characters may leave your party if they donít like what you do, or never join in the first place.

Minus points:
    Probably a bit too easy once you figure it out
    Perhaps I just donít think laterally enough, but some of the cards seem completely useless. I found myself relying on about half a dozen cards all the time, whatever the opponent. Towards the end I squeezed in the Skellige Captain, not because I needed him, but for a little variety.
    Towards the end of Act 4/5, I had all the upgrades I wanted and there was very little to do with all the cash and wood that I had accumulated, which made all the moral choices pretty easy.

Verdict: it has flaws, but I had a lot of fun playing it. 8/10
  • GloatingSwine 29 Jun 2019 12:36:16 3,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Timespinner (Switch version).

A cute little Metroidvania with some light time travel and time stopping shenanigans, letting you stop time to make platforms out of enemies or avoid their attacks.

Great looking 16-bit but how you remember it not how it was sprite art and catchy but not super memorable OST.

Wears its Symphony of the Night inspirations right there on its sleeve, down to being 4:3 with marquee bars at the side of the screen.

Could have done more with the time stuff, there are a few places where things you do in one map affect the other but it's not common enough so you might get stuck because you just don't think to do it. The time stopping stuff is also rarely used for the main progression, mostly for getting side upgrades.

Short and sweet too. 9 hours for me to get all the upgrades, do all the odd jobs for people, and do the optional bosses and get three out of four endings (most you can have in one playthrough). I'm slow and crap so someone who isn't will probably do it faster, like 6-7 hours.

7/10 but a good 7. The kind that scratches an urge but isn't going to set your world on fire.
  • [maven] 30 Jun 2019 12:44:30 5,636 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Prey - Mooncrash (PS4)

More Prey (i.e. same mechanics), in a new environment, using a clever rogue-like structure to explore the various paths / options available to different characters. Story is not strongly present, and rather open ended / convoluted (but this is similar to Prey itself IMO).

I generally dislike time pressure, but it works alright in this context; in the base game I'm usually taking a very slow methodical approach, which the timer works against, but then you do multiple runs here.

The randomization is great and keeps you on your toes, but it never feels like it completely fucks you over, there's always options.

I think this is a great way to get more replayability out of the immersive-sim genre, and I feel like this may be (part of) the template for Death Loop (even though that's Arkane Lyon and not Austin IIRC).

8/10 (if you enjoyed Prey)
  • ChiefGB 1 Jul 2019 21:54:46 11,330 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inside

Done in one sitting, somehow compelled to keep playing to the end to try and understand what the point of it all is. Iíve no idea wth that last 30 mins or so was about or what the point of any of it was but it sure was entertaining to play.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Jul 2019 10:30:56 15,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @MrFlay I was enjoying this right up until the last battle (I think) and a stupid decision meant I couldn't win the fight and have to start from the beginning again, which isn't happening.

Apart from that it was fun :-)
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Jul 2019 18:10:53 3,598 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Division 2

Its more like The Division 1.5 but in a new setting. the story is even less than the 1st game but the gameplay loop of kill, loot repeat is good. Not sure I will do the end game of the black tusk invasion as its just the levels locked again with better number loot. The last level is lacking in epic setpiece, I was playing with a friend and it we both said, is that it. The second from last level end section is broken piece of shit, as respawning soldiers, Molotov throwing grenades that get spammed, armoured people on turrets while trying to destroy the fuel tanks (that take longer in co-op) Fuck the designer who did that section (the rest of the level is fine) its fucking lazy cheap game design.

Got for £22 on ebay and pleased with the amount of paid for it, wouldn't be that happy if paid £40+ for it

7/10
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2019 10:58:46 21,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (on Switch)

I liked it! I don't really think it breaks new ground or anything, but if I'd kickstarted it I would probably be pretty happy. Lots of fan service in there, lots of love.

I did think that some of the grind for materials was a bit tedious (especially food ingredients), and a few of the areas were a bit larger than they needed to be. I didn't think the bosses were all that memorable either.

Anyway, give or take a few systems, it's basically the same as Castlevania: SotN. If that sounds good to you, then you'll probably enjoy it.

8/10
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Jul 2019 11:33:03 22,775 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Mola_Ram how long a game is it? SotN was pretty long and engaging whereas I read on the thread that a number of people get it done very quickly.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2019 11:56:49 21,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I wouldn't say it's quite as big as SotN in terms of the map, but there's a lot more stuff to level up and collect and such. The shard collecting thing is pretty similar to Dawn of Sorrow.

So you can get the main story done fairly quickly, but there's enough exploring and other things to keep you going for 15-20 hours or more. And I found that bit of it pretty enjoyable.
  • Jackonapes 3 Jul 2019 13:23:52 4 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Observation - 2019
    Developer - no code
    A horror game made by the folks who did stories untold. A really engrossing horror game which was so simple yet so gripping.
    Stories untold was three mini stories/games that concluded an overall story
    Observation appears to be an attempt to make one longer game. The game nails atmosphere, there is so many unique moments.

The game is a bit dodgy round the edges. It seems animation isn't the studios strong point. The first game solved this by just avoiding it. It was all speech and puzzles. Observation has people floating around space and they all seems to move in weird ways which can kill the atmosphere. The level design could have been done with a bit of tweaking aswell, it's easier to get lost in a big station that all looks the same. Treks to the outside are fun at first but become tedious as you just float about unsure where to go.

The story is mad

Conclusion. Fun, creepy, horror experience. Fantastic atmosphere but knocked by a studio that maybe had too much ambition. Trying things that doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

6.5/10
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Jul 2019 14:12:08 22,775 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Mola_Ram thanks. I am definitely interested but I may wait a bit. I pulled the trigger on Dead Cells early in its pricing and found it pretty disappointing.
  • whatthefu 3 Jul 2019 16:37:51 1,236 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I got the PC version of Bloodstained for £25 and thought it was well worth it. It took me about 20 hours but I died lots of times and did a lot of the side quests.. might as well do them since you'll be achieving the objectives anyway, may as well get paid.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jul 2019 17:16:53 6,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep 15ish hours for a normal playthrough, I'd say. Well over 20 if you want to get completionist.
  • QBX 5 Jul 2019 11:31:52 70 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blood: One Whole Unit

I was in the mood for a 90s shooter and had this in my library so thought I'd give it a go. I was already a huge fan of the Build engine (and the simple yet complex levels that could be created) but amazed at just how well it plays today and they've really nailed it with this one.

The atmosphere is immense and a sum of all its parts: memorable yet foreboding levels, fun enemies (except spiders which can burn in hell) and weapons but what really stood out for me was the soundtrack which is just sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OS06n2My0

The game is not without its bugs though but nothing game breaking.

9/10
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Jul 2019 14:30:02 22,775 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cool. When I am done with Spidey I will give it a whirl.
  • Malek86 6 Jul 2019 17:47:15 8,741 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    Blood: One Whole Unit

9/10
    I first played it a few years ago. Didn't like it much - only got to the end of the first episode and dropped it.

I'm replaying it now that the Windows remaster is out, and I'm finding it much more to my liking. I think the first time I wasn't approaching it the right way - you have to play more catiously than in a regular 90's shooter.

Still not a fan of the way Build engine maps look, but the remaster at least gets rid of the vertical distortion.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Jul 2019 17:47:40 3,598 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Far cry New dawn

Posted some comments in the currently playing, only paid £10 off ebay and its worth that price. not the full price it initially was. Its a shame they didn't do anything with the aftermath of the bomb. The game has missions that you get flown to and they are a lot more interesting locations but its just get the package and escape. One level has the paladin aircraft from the splinter cell game and another is the crashed I.S.S. But all the problems mentioned in the currently playing thread bring the score down as its just a rushed game. For a cheap price its worth it for some more far cry

6/10
  • triarii 8 Jul 2019 21:17:38 400 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Total War: Attila

Finished the campaign as the Western Roman Empire and it was tough even on medium! Probably the hardest TW campaign I've played. I really love the setting, a great sense of encroaching doom and hopelessness. Some of the game mechanics are a bit of a pain though like constantly deteriorating soil fertility, limited building slots and never-ending siege battles. Still, once you beat the hordes (Huns especially) the game becomes a bit more traditional TW.

7/10
  • Hicksy 8 Jul 2019 22:19:38 2,624 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)

A considerate and inventive take on loss and the fragility of life. A game everyone should play. We are never alone. Be thankful for every day. Life is a gift.

9.5/10
  • neilka 8 Jul 2019 23:11:40 22,656 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deleted user wrote:
    Days Gone

A handful of niggles aside I really enjoyed it.

8/10
    I choose to believe that this user is deleted because of someone misreading this post.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.