Recently Completed Games Page 586

• Zippity-zap 26 Jul 2019 23:45:54 484 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dominalien Iíd highly recommend the Mooncrash dlc. In some ways, better than the base game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Jul 2019 13:50:24 6,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Super Robot Wars T (PS4) - 6/10

The third of the PS4-era SRW games and the third on basically the same engine and mostly the same assets. This is the weakest of the bunch. The series represented in it feel like a step back to wallowing in nostalgia (Expelled from Paradise is the only '10s) property represented, certain franchises are introduced then mostly forgotten (Cowboy Bebop in particular) and the mission design is lazy. The latter is a real pity, because X mixed things up a lot, with some really challenging defensive missions and the like. T is too prone to resorting to just throwing huge numbers of weak enemies at the player.

For what it's worth, the international (Asian but English-language) versions of V and X (which are much better than T) are getting Switch releases soon. They're also getting Steam releases, but I expect those to be blocked in the West for licensing reasons.
  • uiruki 27 Jul 2019 21:55:47 4,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Catching up!

12. Resident Evil 2 - PC - 5/5

Never played the original but this was excellent. Doesn't outstay its welcome, fun mix of running away and not running away, great visuals and just really well paced throughout.

13. Devil May Cry 5 - PC - 5/5

There's a lot of game here. All the different fighting styles, loads of goofy lines, just really fizzed along.

14. Fate Grand Order - iOS - 4/5 (Lostbelt 4)

A mostly enjoyable romp in India. They're getting better at balancing out story and battles and keeping the difficulty consistent; I kind of wish there were more characters in this segment but another solid 30 hour VN/RPG battle mix. Pepperoncino~!!!

15. Bloodstained - PC - 5/5

This was exactly what I wanted. Sure, the budget shows, but exploring the castle and breaking the battle system over my knee is loads of fun and other games of the style don't really scratch that same itch. Excellent Japanese voice cast too!

PC version was super, super solid; really fast loading, no crashes at all.

16. Superhot VR - Quest - 4/5

I found this unplayable on PSVR. With the Quest's working tracking it's a revelation. I jsut wish there was more (and some more of the goofy side stuff from the PC).

17. Quake 2 RTX - PC - 4/5

The hardest workout for my RTX 2080 yet - Resi and DMC flew through at 100fps plus but I really had to pare back the settings and resolution for this! As a shooter though it's still really fun. Sure, the rocket launcher's a bit rubbish and you don't move that fast, but the level hub system still works really well, the rest of the guns are great and once they patched the music in it brings a lot to the game too. The RTX effects manifest themselves in some surprising ways sometimes, but always in a "oh yeah, I guess it would do that, that's cool" sort of way. A fun glimpse into the future and a great trip back to a classic FPS.

18. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC - 2/5

First, there's actually plenty to like about this game. The levels look great and run great (literally locked at 120fps the entire time with everything maxed), the base in particular has some great art, the storytelling around the plot is excellent (like the fake pop songs) and the main characters are really, really goofy and fun. I definitely want to play as Soph and Jess much more than I would control BJ for another game.

The issues though - plenty of them. First, there's much less story than the other Wolf games and only really one thing that could come close to some of the ridiculous stuff that saved New Colossus for me. More seriously, though, the encounter design is completely fucked in service of Numbers Going Up, numbers which are instantly balanced out by all the enemies just matching your level anyway.

Levels teem with elite soldiers, an enemy type which you have to strip armour off by using the right type of weapon; for every encounter that you can just solve by hurling axes around there is two where you have to just pump round after round into yet another fucking Hammer Soldier. Swapping weapons works really badly too as it takes multiple seconds for the switch animation, and even worse if you push fire it completely skips it. this applies to early reloads too, so on the heat of battle there's a solid chance you'll mess something up from that.

Even worse are the bosses - though there are only really two they're both completely awful. The final boss in particular is barely possible when playing solo because your CPU partner sticks to you super close and you have to shoot the guy in the back so you just can't get back there. I went through the entire game without seeing the 'you died' screen once and I ended up reducing the difficulty on that final boss. The last straw was the CPU partner just staring into space while I bled out. It still took me a few tries, and the game restarting you from a checkpoint with the amount of ammo you had when you died, even if it's zero, is frankly insane.

I still preordered this after being drawn in by the Arkane connection. I'll be waiting on Wolf 3. After all - fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on me. Maybe I'll just watch the story on Youtube next time as it's the only part of the game I genuinely enjoy now. New Order and Old Blood really feel like a fluke at this point.

Edited by uiruki at 21:58:22 27-07-2019
  • TechnoHippy 28 Jul 2019 08:15:51 15,622 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus

I struggled with this - the first level just frustrated me so much it took several attempts over a few weeks to get through it. However I'm glad I did persevere as once through the pain it opens up to a very competent shooter, better than the previous game as it doesn't throw annoying bosses at you.

The story is completely mental of course, with the General being especially crazy. And what the hell happened with the missus stripping off for the final bloodbath?

The story provides plenty of gameplay and so I didn't bother with the extras like the warboard.

7/10
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jul 2019 09:05:07 25,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Your spoilered bit. I thought the same, just wtf :) ;)
  • TechnoHippy 28 Jul 2019 10:05:20 15,622 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To be fair there's a few WTF moments in the story, but that one stood out :-)
  • uiruki 28 Jul 2019 10:19:01 4,991 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think by that point for me there had been so many crazy moments that it just seemed like a natural progression, and that the game just had to end soon as otherwise they'd have to go completely off the rails!
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jul 2019 10:24:28 25,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    To be fair there's a few WTF moments in the story, but those stood out :-)
  • lordofdeadside 28 Jul 2019 13:46:46 1,357 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Plague Tale: Innocence

A refreshingly linear, single player, story driven adventure. The characters are great, in particular the developing bond between the main sister and brother.

It never gets partially taxing (a good thing) but it varies things up as different upgrades unlock and at around 10 hours it's the perfect length. It looks incredible in places too, the number of light sources and rats running about was jaw dropping.

I do sometimes feel that collectables should be unlocked on the second play through, always a bit weird when it's supposed to be tense or time limited and you are scouring round the edges of the level.

9/10
  • heavy_salad 28 Jul 2019 13:59:42 1,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plague Tale: Innocence

Firstly, as above it looks amazing, especially the lighting. First 3/4 of the game were excellent I thought, even if the gameplay was a little samey. It did enough to add new mechanics as you went though, so the puzzles didn't feel exactly the same.

However, there a bit after that point where it started to drag a little bit when the pace slowed down too much for me.

And then finally, it did its best to completely ruin the game with a terrible last couple of chapters, including a couple of ridiculously out of place boss fights and combat sequences. Brought it down from somewhere close to a 9 to where I can't give it more than a 7.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 31 Jul 2019 15:47:50 15,622 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Diablo II: Reaper of Souls

A lot of fun and doesn't require too much thought. I tried the Necromancer and while he feels a bit overpowered he was a satisfying character. The balance of upgrades and progression feels spot on.

Whoever does their cut scenes needs to make a 40K movie.

8/10
  • robthehermit 1 Aug 2019 10:47:16 7,544 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Battle Chasers Nightwar 8/10

Finished this a couple of weeks ago, but decided that the last achievement "Finish NG+" had to be done.

So having wrapped that up last night, I'm definitely done with it now. Overall, a great game. The artwork is great, the environments look good and the random layout and different rooms available in each dungeon usually mean there's a chance you'll come across something you haven't seen before. The turn based combat is well done, but the difficulty level is inconsistent. You hit a wall at a couple of points in the story and have no choice but to grind out a few levels and upgrade your gear if you want to progress, but having done that you're immediately back on easy street (although they do throw a few enemies into the mix that will f*** you up if get a bit complacent). There are a large amount of skills available to each character but you'll likely find you only use one or two and even then only when facing larger enemies or groups. The rest of the time combat can be taken care of with standard attacks.

All of the dungeons have 3 difficulty levels, which effect monster spawns and items you'll find. It tells you under each one how easy or hard that level will be, and it doesn't lie, if it says it's going to be hard it will be.

You can craft and enchant weapons and armour, and craft accessories and potions, although I only used 1 potion in the whole of NG+ so on the whole they're fairly pointless.

Highly recommended to any rpg fans, and it's on Game Pass so if you own an xbox you've really got no excuse.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2019 12:45:14
    Dragon's Dogma (switch) - 8/10

Played this all the way through including the expansion and all using all character types. I'm fairly sure I've seen everything there is to see now and I think after 250+ hours its time to move on.

It was a little hard to get into at first and took a while to actually like. I spent a long time dying and getting pissed off with it. After a while I dropped the difficulty down and changed class and enjoyed it way too much. The story although light was enjoyable and the world was pretty decent (though also light on content). Then I hit the expansion and saw what they'd done there and it felt very Dark Souls, with set pieces and lots of exploring and dying.

I think I could easily spend the same amount of time again playing through the end game content and I may well have another blast, but I need to move away from it for a while and play something else. Not quite sure what, but I need to play something. Roll on the next RPG probably.

Its a bit marmite the game and some people don't like it at all. I think some elements are poor (story, content, inventory, what the hell you're supposed to do, failing quests when you reach an area with no warning etc), but it was a hell of a lot of fun to just explore and learn new things. Monster seeking ricochet arrows were great fun. The first time I met a monster that towered over the trees was also memorable.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Aug 2019 22:53:37 13,332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doom 3 (PS4)

Blitzed it this week as wife and son away for a few days. Utterly solid conversion of one of my favourite games. Immense. Looks great, plays great. Gets my big throbbing seal of approval.
  • Bichii 2 Aug 2019 22:58:39 2,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @wuntyphyve errr get back on w3 you!
  • wuntyphyve 3 Aug 2019 07:55:01 13,332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bichii I know I need to! Just have this massive doom sized itch I need to scratch first...
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Aug 2019 13:28:33 3,758 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rage 2 - 6.8/10

Much like the 1st game, the FPS combat is great, its by ID and it shows, also way the enemies move to dodge attacks is really good. Its a shame the open world is so average and the story is just meh (while the 1st game had this problems) Its a sequel, there is no excuse and Avalanche (Just cause) did the open world side which is part of the problem. Avalanche do a lot of dull quest design and I think they are too stubborn to change how they design missions. The open world is dull to explore, its just another tower turret or bandit camp etc. Also they didn't make good on the crazy tone from the trailer, making it more like blood dragon would of helped the game

edit: also its quite short, at one point you need to level up all 3 mission givers to level 5 to do the final mission by doing side tasks)

Its worth £20 as the combat is just so good (until the new doom game is out) The game is not terrible but it should be much better than that it is. Also the ending is short and lazy like the 1st game.

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 13:31:57 03-08-2019
  • QBX 3 Aug 2019 16:48:18 91 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lost Horizon

Old school point & click adventure. Our hero is an Indiana Jones type who travels across the globe to stop the Nazis from taking over the world. Voice acting is decent with nothing too offensive to the ears. Environments are traditional 2D backgrounds with 3D models that do the job.

Puzzles are a mixed bag of being fairly obvious or obscure to the point where you have to try and combine every item to get the right result. Hit a complete brick wall and chances are you've missed something in the background - so checking every pixel is a must. The only other criticism I have is the cutscenes which are a bit dated though few and far between.

Overall a fun little game with likeable characters and interesting story.

7/10
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Aug 2019 09:46:04 25,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Metro Exodus
    Xbox
    Hours: 24ish
    Skill: normal and reader.

I'm trying to think how it doesn't deserve a 10/10. I thought it was excellent, just watching credits roll right now.

Maybe a couple of sections were overlong ? actually one area did piss me off, was the Volga level with the Catfish, mainly as it bugged out on me, luckily I found a work around.
  • bone-on 4 Aug 2019 09:56:45 439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ace Combat 7

Been getting my top gun fix and really enjoyed this. Great mix of fighters to fly and some memorable missions. Looks stunning in 4K

Online has been fun too

8/10
  • Gunzberg 4 Aug 2019 11:04:49 2,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bone-on wrote:
    Ace Combat 7

Been getting my top gun fix and really enjoyed this. Great mix of fighters to fly and some memorable missions. Looks stunning in 4K

Online has been fun too

8/10
    keep trying to pick it up but so few people selling it, it still has ridiculously high prices on ebay Germany..
  • ChiefGB 5 Aug 2019 15:04:00 11,715 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally finished Detroit:become human.
    Had the fame since launch, played all but the last level as it turns out but parked it shortly after it came out which is a shame a bit as I was so close and it watered down the ending just slightly after a year off but I was still nervous as to how it would all end up so the tension in some of the decisions still rang true.

Thought itís ending was rather poignant and managed to get a fairly decent result losing just one supporting character at the end all be it a fairly central one.
    Felt like a nice payoff and theres just so much variation in the story threads itís impressive. That said Iím kind of a ďthis is my storyĒ kind of guy so not sure if Iíll replay to see absolutely everything.
    Still, well recommended if you like story driven experiences.
  • ghearoid 6 Aug 2019 20:39:40 3,257 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fire Emblem Three Houses. I played through the Golden Deer path as male Byleth. I've started a new game+ as female Byleth with the Blue Lions.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, combat and
    the highly likeable cast of characters. Superb! 9/10 :)
  • wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2019 22:25:17 13,332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ChiefGB I played Detroit so well, managed to completely fuck up and make a stupid design at the very end resulting in the death of kara, the girl and big whatshisface - essentially this lovely family that I'd worked hard to save and stay together the entire time. I was surprisingly gutted. Like you though, I feel like that was my story and if that's how it should end, so be it. it's all because I lead Marcus down a more violent path, resulting in riots and stuff, and all his friends getting killed too, although he lived. . in fact looking back, I REALLY fucked up towards the end after playing about 80% of the game so damn well. It's amazing all the little ways the story can go.
  • Malek86 10 Aug 2019 17:32:37 9,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Metro Exodus (Xbox One, Game Pass)

Open world Metro, except when it wants to be linear, which is half the game really. I liked all the systems, but arguably the crafting was a bit too forgiving (I was playing on normal difficulty). In the end, you can craft lots of medikits to make sure that you'll never have too much trouble. Even so, I still died a lot, so good thing about that quicksaving.

The gameplay can be pretty uneven when it can't decide whether it wants to be open world or linear... but when it works, it works well. Shame about so much semi-forced stealth, because the stealth is one of things in the game that really could have used some refining. And the last level is halfway between impressive and irritating, but it does serve as a climatic final level, I guess.

An extra point for the amazing graphics and scenery, while the voices could have used some more care - while I don't know any Russian, I could tell the line delivery was often lifeless. Maybe I should have played in English after all.

7/10

Edited by Malek86 at 17:32:46 10-08-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2019 19:14:52 6,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Slay the Spire (PC) - 8.5/10

Not a genre I'm usually fond of. "Roguelike" and "Deck Builder" are normally words to get me walking away. But it was in the Humble Monthly, so I thought I'd give it a go. And it was pretty good. Still not really my thing - I suspect that having seen the end credits, I'm done with it - but a well executed example of the genre.

Got the first win in a modded game (so doesn't count) as the Prisma class (from Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya). Then went back and got an unmodded win as the Ironclad on my next run.
  • RedPanda87 13 Aug 2019 19:47:32 1,967 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A Short Hike

A really nice, relaxing, happy game, with a world that's fun to explore and just exist in. It's short, but the world is more densely packed than you might expect, so there's quite a lot to see and do. The upgrade system is good too.

Controls (using a keyboard) aren't great, and nor is the camera, but given how low stress/pressure the game is in general they don't get in the way much.

8/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Aug 2019 22:04:52 6,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fire Emblem - Three Houses (Switch) - 9/10

Completed via the Black Eagle route in around 50 hours. There's a lot wrong with this game. Some of its mechanics are grindy. The combat could badly use an extra layer of depth. The graphics are a bit poor and performance is shakey, as a general reminder that the Switch isn't a very good console, but...

There's also a hell of a lot right with it. The story is engaging. The characters have depth and the second half of the game, where stuff gets... murdery... has real emotional impact. While shallow by genre standards, the combat does move along at a fair old clip. Plus high replay value, due to the different house routes. Overall, I'd say it's easily better than Fates. Is it better than Awakening? Tough call... right now, I'd say "yes", but let's see how I feel in a few weeks once the recency-effect fades.
  • Bichii 16 Aug 2019 22:08:18 2,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Days gone.

I can't believe a lot of the reviews I read of this on release. It is so so much better than these reviews imply.

Brilliant characters throughout, loved the story, the voice acting and animations are superb.

Only real negative is it goes on waaaay too long.

Strong 8/10
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Aug 2019 08:39:27 25,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bichii
    Now come on Ms. You should be posting this in the recently abandoned games... 😉

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.