Following Recently Completed Games Page 590

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Aug 2019 16:45:31 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve I've certainly seen theories before suggesting that Doom 2016 is actually a distant-future sequel to Doom 3. If I remember, Doom 2016 is deliberately vague about a lot of elements of its world and setting, so it's not massively farfetched.

God I need Doom Eternal to be out... like... now. They can't fuck it up, surely? I mean, surely? But then... Wolfenstein: New Colossus...

Ugh.
  • Malek86 28 Aug 2019 17:01:55 8,755 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't really blame id Software for the new Wolfenstein games, I don't think they were ever that involved.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Aug 2019 17:05:48 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 I know, I know, but it's the other classic shooter series that had a well received modern reboot.

Then the sequel to that reboot blew goats.
  • Addy__ 28 Aug 2019 17:40:33 1,432 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    People need to play dusk. It's an awesome throw back shooter like doom of old.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Aug 2019 17:53:55 14,489 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I've just played a little of Doom 3 again and it's pretty close to how I remembered it, but slightly worse. The elephant in the room is the real-time-lighting graphics engine, which was breathtaking at the time and the thing I admired most about the game back then, but that hardly impresses today--so it's lost its main advantage for me.

In comparison to old Doom it's appallingly linear and slow and claustrophobic. Back in the days, Half-Life (for all the incredible revolutionary things it did) turned shooters into a linear on-rails matter.

I'm mentioning this because Doom 3 takes more than a few nods from HL1. The introduction sequence is a blatant (bad) copy of HL1's, it copies HL1's habit of only playing soundtrack in a select few locations, it's just as linear and perhaps worst of all, even HL1 is fast-paced in comparison. Old Doom was very fast, Doom 3 is awfully slow. You may like the slow pace, but that's not Doom. Maybe it's System Shock, but certainly not Doom. You may say people have to go with the times, but if your game's got so little to do with its predecessors, you should just give it another name.

Then the weapons. Basic shooter design common sense says that your guns should have some heft, doing some damage and sound like it. Doom 3's guns make some weird fartsy click and clack noises and they feel awfully weak against even the most basic enemies. Standing right in front of an enemy and shooting with the shotgun in his face shouldn't just make a "plock" noise and not hurt them at all. This may be fine in survival horror games (which part of Doom 3 tries to be), but it's got nothing to do with Doom 1&2. Again, it may be ok in its own right, but it becomes a problem if you slap the "DOOM" name on the box.

(But tbh this has been a problem in many id games--emptying a full SMG magazine into a basic Wehrmacht soldier's face at point blank range without killing him is just as frustrating as the crap going on with your pea-shooting pistol against the most basic enemies in Rage. These games sometimes feel like id Software's got no fucking clue about first person shooters).

Nu Doom fixes a lot of that. First of all, it's not strictly old Doom, but kind of a mix between that and Q3A, and honestly just looking at this formula I don't see how this could be anything but awesome. You may say that it relies too much on isolated arena-style encounters, but I love that oldschool frantic arena-style combat so I can't find much fault in it even if I enjoy old Doom/Quake 1's less digital nature.

Yeah the maps aren't as open as old Doom, but they are much more open than those of other contemporary shooters (and Doom 3), so they do bring back some of that. There is exploration in Nu Doom which alone sets it apart from other modern shooters--and Doom 3. It spreads secrets around its maps, and actually they mean more than in old Doom. There, you got powerups and a meaningless statistic on the results screen. In Nu Doom, finding them also gives you weapon upgrade points, making them actually more meaningful and better than in the old ones.

The aesthetics are obviously a strong move back to old Doom's, I was worried if bringing back the cartoonish demons and cheesy heavy metal-inspired artwork would work nowadays, but I think it did it with great success.

Then the soundtrack. It goes back to playing soundtrack all the time, this time it's adaptive so that it changes in encounters. I'm not sure if I like this more or the system of old Doom, but it's a distinct rejection of modern almost-no-soundtrack shooters including Doom 3. It also takes chances, old Doom went pretty far at times e.g. by copy&pasting Slayer's "Behind the Crooked Cross", Nu Doom isn't afraid to do Meshuggah-style death metal. It fits, it works, it's awesome, and fuck every tasteless sad soul who doesn't enjoy that.

Nu Doom even got rid of weapon reloads, a bold move in 2016 and a "step back" after Doom 3, but it's for the better, because honestly what's that shit even for.

Nu Doom is different but also feels like old Doom in many respects, the high-speed no-nonsense action, the light-hearted colourful take on the invasion of hell, the comical gore, all this no-nonsense shoot demons in the face so they explode stuff.

Multiplayer is pants, but as a single player shooter Nu Doom is up there with old Doom and Quake 1, and that's probably the greatest praise I can think of. Doom 3 is not, that is a completely different game.

Sorry for being rambling and disorganised, I've had a few drinks.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Aug 2019 17:57:05 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wish that UT wasn't canned after gaining no traction after they pushed development responsibility to the community.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Aug 2019 17:59:50 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Oh and I feel all weird that I agree with the good Dr.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Aug 2019 18:28:14 14,489 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Oh and I feel all weird that I agree with the good Dr.
    You make it sound like it wasn't a sign of maturity and wisdom
  • JamboWayOh 28 Aug 2019 18:31:46 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just like that the love affair is over.. So close.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Aug 2019 18:39:31 14,489 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does that exclude any chance of second base?
  • JamboWayOh 28 Aug 2019 19:39:18 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe a cheeky feel.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Aug 2019 20:51:45 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I basically agree with this. I'd add that when it comes to weapons-heft, one of the things Doom 3 got wrong for me was that it fucked up the shooter-design equivalent of the Golden Ratio. In a run-and-gun shooter, I'm firmly of the view that a single shotgun blast (leaving aside glancing hits) should be capable of killing the most common trash-mob enemy. There's something deliciously satisfying about flicking between targets, taking each one down with a shotgun hit, with that satisfying "ka-chic-BOOM" sound on loop.

Doom 3's most common trash mob averaged across the game is the Imp. And it's rare that you can kill one with a single shotgun blast. In theory it's possible, but even up close, the way the game handled spread and hit detection meant that needing 2-3 shots was usually necessary. That just feel wrong on some deep, instinctive level.

As for Doom 2016, its glorious, unashamed cheesiness is very much part of the charm. Doom 3 was trying to be a serious grimdark shooter. Doom 2016 just wants you to have fun killing demons and keeps its tongue firmly in its cheek.
  • Malek86 28 Aug 2019 20:53:39 8,755 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, the shotgun in Doom 2016 wasn't always a one-hit kill against the imps either (though it was more because they moved around too much). I hated that whenever it happened.
  • RyanDS 28 Aug 2019 21:27:53 12,842 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phoenix wright trilogy on the switch.

So much to complain about, illogical, times when you know what the answer is but you are losing life because it is the wrong time to present shit. Times I need to consult a walkthrough...

But fuck it. I love it so much. Played each game as they were released on the ds and replaying all at once on the switch is a genuine pleasure. 50 hours, but playing all as one long game, watching the characters evolve, the bad puns, the running jokes, the recurring characters, I loved every second.

Shouldn't be a 10/10 but for the sheer joy I got in the replay I cant give any other score.
  • DrStrangelove 28 Aug 2019 21:43:15 14,489 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Well, the shotgun in Doom 2016 wasn't always a one-hit kill against the imps either (though it was more because they moved around too much). I hated that whenever it happened.
    I think the main difference in Nu Doom is that you're actually engaging in some sort of war dance with the imp. He's kinda dancing, jumping left and right while throwing fireballs, and you're kinda dancing, evading left and right while trying to get close enough to to get that one shot in his face. And like any good dance, it culminates in your dance partner's jaws being ripped asunder.

Doom 3? Move a little back and forth, "plock" nothing happens. Move a little more back and forth, "plock" again, nothing happens again. Eurgh.
  • wuntyphyve 28 Aug 2019 21:45:53 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meh. Dress it up in your mothers clothing all you like, but Doom 2016 is boring.

There. I said it. Now I'm getting in this fucking taxi. Good night.
  • Bichii 28 Aug 2019 21:52:06 1,894 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fuck you. :). Doom 2016 is one of my favourite games.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Aug 2019 21:55:33 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bichii
    Bloody hell revan, don't do that to me. When I saw you post I assumed you started, played, was brilliant at and beat something else since this morning ;)
  • Bichii 28 Aug 2019 22:03:53 1,894 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No no..today has been some movies and destiny 2. :)
  • wuntyphyve 28 Aug 2019 22:04:33 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bichii Yes but you also like Alan Wake.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Aug 2019 22:05:12 14,645 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://youtu.be/jcMJi5m2Bng
  • JamboWayOh 28 Aug 2019 23:09:22 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Meh. Dress it up in your mothers clothing all you like, but Doom 2016 is boring.

There it is. Proof that Wunty has lost his sanity.
  • mrpon 28 Aug 2019 23:13:06 35,396 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well he does dress up in his mother's clothes.
  • Addy__ 29 Aug 2019 00:45:18 1,432 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Bichii Yes but you also like Alan Wake.
    Alan Wake is great you heathen. So is Doom 4.
    I won't be too hostile though as we are soulsborne bros and I kinda like ya. In a co op soulsborne kinda way. :D
  • Graxlar_v3 29 Aug 2019 08:26:08 7,716 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    wuntyphyve wrote:

There it is. Proof that Wunty has lost his sanity.
    Wunty's favourtie dark souls is 2 - i am pretty sure we can legally discount his opinion.
  • wuntyphyve 29 Aug 2019 09:21:48 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am a man of distinguished taste Iíll have you know.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 29 Aug 2019 10:51:08 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    YS 8 Lachrimosa of Dana (Switch)

JPRG that has been on many formats and finally the Switch. It shows its age accordingly and the graphics are not up to Xenoblade 2 standards. Also there is a lack of "real" open world design with instead lots of small areas with transitions of 1-3 seconds between each area. This can be irritating and can cause you to get lost too easily.

As its a JRPG, it suffers from a couple of the usual issues. Firstly the underlying systems are a bit complicated and it was only towards the end of my 100 hours of playing that some of them became clear. There were other areas that I didn't ever get to fully understand. There were also the usual scantily clad helpless women and even a young girl who said "you better call dibs on me now". Few too many fart jokes too. I'm not sure who finds them hilarious, but its not me. There were also a bewlidering (at times) level of things to do and collect and keep track of.

Those negatives aside, I found the story really, really engaging. Although I've since read that the story is considered to be filled with "standard tropes", but to me it was a really great story which went in directions I wasn't expecting. Something else I appreciated was that almost all the characters were likeable. There were no comedy characters (walking potatoes) and there were no creeps. A couple were unpleasant, but they were meant to be and the game recognised that as did the other characters. The core team were all great.

Skill and level progression felt fairly constant throughout and kept the game fresh. Upgrading weapons, armour and crafting meant that collecting items in the field was essential and worthwhile. I never felt bored... actually that's not true, I did feel bored in Chapter 2 (10 ish hours in), but once I pushed through that bit and the plot kicked in I was hooked.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes the Xenoblade games. I found the plot really great. Some areas were a bit samey and some monsters were a bit wtf, but I was always exploring. I covered about 99% of the content. The ending was really good in that they dragged it out and I felt I could say good bye properly to all the characters who I had spent so long with. It left me much more satisfied than a "you won". There is a new game + mode as well that allows you to go back in and play it all again keeping your learned skills etc.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it and I've not appreciated a story so much in a long time. Its the first time in a long time that I've sat up into the early hours because I just wanted to carry on with the next bit.

9/10 (10/10 for the overall experience and enjoyment that i had).
  • quadfather 29 Aug 2019 12:40:18 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad we sorted out that doom 1 is the best. And not that garish mess that is 2016.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 29 Aug 2019 13:16:36 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Glad we sorted out that doom 1 is the best. And not that garish mess that is 2016.
    What the old git said.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Aug 2019 13:27:17 15,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    All this talk of Doom 3 makes me want to give it another play through.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.