Following Recently Completed Games Page 591

• JamboWayOh 29 Aug 2019 13:49:00 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Glad we sorted out that doom 1 is the best. And not that garish mess that is 2016.
    Don't make me have to cut you.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Aug 2019 14:26:50 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    See, I could compromise on the original Doom as "best". I loved Doom 2016, but the original had a real charm to it.

Except... Doom 2 was basically Doom 1 but better...

Oh dear.
  • wuntyphyve 29 Aug 2019 14:34:53 12,668 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doom 2 is BIGGER, and more mental that's for sure. I would class Doom 1 as superior though. Doom 2 was too gimmicky and felt less coherent. I also think it had far less stand out levels compared to 1. Doom 2 was when they went full on "you want a huge arena full of demons? Have THIS!".
  • wuntyphyve 29 Aug 2019 14:53:54 12,668 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Talking of Doom 2, me and my boy finished it on co-op last night. Bloody hilarious, as you just keep respawning when you die. Our kill percentage on the Icon of Sin pretty much broke the game, it was up around 14,000%... What a mess by the end. Bodies everywhere.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 15:12:39 29-08-2019
  • quadfather 29 Aug 2019 15:38:00 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Co-op doom (1 or 2) is so much fun.

With the new fangled front ends, can you do TCP/IP sessions? Be ace to kill each other a million times in hilarious ways again.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Aug 2019 16:24:52 15,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So Doom 3 is fun again - shotgun is underpowered in comparison, but the little sentry bots are cool - I want one always :-)
  • DrStrangelove 29 Aug 2019 18:49:45 14,489 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I've just re-completed Nu Doom.

Most has already been said, but one standout feature of the game in these times is that you don't have to aim down sights to shoot. Somehow most shooter devs seem to have issues making the guns accurate without the player slowing down, making the action inferior by default. Run'n'gun technology is almost lost knowledge, but id are among the few who are still able to do it. I can't stress enough how important this is.

Oh, and I really like the UAC's promotional holograms, talking about how "pure Hell energy" will ensure prosperity and happiness of your children, "UAC - opening the gates of Hell for a brighter tomorrow" and all that.

The biggest criticism I have is that it gets a little worse in the last two levels when the game just spams the arena with a thousand big demons and it becomes just too chaotic for its own good. Apart from that, a triumph of a game.

9.5/10

edit: I forgot talking about Snapmap. I haven't ever made any levels with it, but I loved the Snapmap puzzles where you had to "program" game logic to achieve victory in a pre-defined level, and/or creatively cheat your way through.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:53:18 29-08-2019
  • QBX 1 Sep 2019 15:49:32 70 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Duke Nukem Forever: The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the history of the base game.

I'd hoped this would build upon the disappointment of that and right some of the wrongs but instead it rehashes some of the worst bits which can be summarised as: an annoying platform section followed by another shrunken driving section leading to a generic boss fight.

The premise itself is underused and over so quickly that it feels wasted.

For the second half the game threatens some enjoyment with a trip to the moon but is quickly snuffed out with an on rails section and being joined by some irritating AI companions. Not even some low quality tits can make this any better. We then get to the moon which is the final boss fight with another fucking driving section. It screams laziness.

I can forgive the poor graphics if the gameplay is fun but my problem with this and the main game is that - for a shooter - there isn't that much actual shooting and what there is feels unsatisfying. Somehow they've made enemies and weapons feel bland and there is just no fun to be had.

Unsurprisingly.

2/10
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Sep 2019 16:14:01 7,716 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wait... it got DLC??? Wait, you bought/played the DLC...
  • QBX 1 Sep 2019 16:27:54 70 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It got this and some multiplayer DLC.

I'm ashamed to say I bought it years ago when it was on sale :cry:
  • TechnoHippy 1 Sep 2019 16:49:47 15,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Doom 3

A lot of fun - it managed a reasonable blend of run and gun with a heavy sense of dread that many regular horror games fail to match. It isn't as good as the original games, or even the newer remake, but it's atmosphere is spot on.

And the sentry bots were excellent - they should have featured more.

8/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 16:50:17 01-09-2019
  • Malek86 1 Sep 2019 18:20:40 8,755 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blair Witch - Game Pass (Xbox One)

It runs like a dog (no pun intended). But it's pretty creepy , certainly a notch above Layers of Fear, because in this game you actually feel like you could mess up somewhere. The sound design is great too, and while the puzzles are always easy, it's not quite a walking simulator.

Unfortunately, the last couple hours are pretty much a haunted house rollercoaster with several annoying faux-stealth sections, and honestly they go on far longer than it needs to. It's not that it's bad, in fact I enjoyed it, but it's way too long to go through again. I had considered replaying the game to get a better ending, but not if I have to replay that whole section.

Well, at least I managed to save the dog.

7/10

Of course, as with all Game Pass titles, it's worth trying anyway, simply because you can.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Sep 2019 19:14:41 15,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Blair Witch

I pretty much agree with Malet86 - for the most part this is a relatively decent horror walking simulator. The dog mechanic worked really well, although I do wish he didn't bark during the stealth sections :-) THe atmosphere is spot on in the woods, with some peril to keep things interesting.

Unfortunately the final section drags it down, it has some good moments, but it's mostly a maze like filler with some jump scares.

I got the bad ending and looking back I'm not sure what I would have had to have done to change it. I too managed to save the dog and that was good enough for me :-)

6/10
  • ghearoid 4 Sep 2019 08:34:09 3,230 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses

My third run through, this time the Black Eagles route, fighting with Edelgard. Such a good game and so much content. It has surprised me just how much extra story you get playing through the different routes. 9/10
  • Red_Bool 4 Sep 2019 09:08:17 1,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Final Fantasy XII (Switch)

Been wanting to play this ever since it came out on PS2, but I can only really play (J)RPGs on a portable (sofa-gamer plus family wants to use the TV as well ;)). Therefore the Switch version was a nobrainer and bought at launch.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Initially I had to get used to the typical Final Fantasy-ness of things (it's been a while), but when it clicked it was awesome. After the gambit-system I don't think I can go back to a traditional turn-based battle system. I actually liked the characters and story (loved to listen to Fran's voice). The hunts were more fun than I expected. I have the feeling I missed most of the sidequests (they're not that obvious to find).

My biggest annoyance was that you had to get really (really) close to treasures before you could open them. Besides that I found the language a bit overly "old-fashioned" (can't think of a better word). It fits with the setting, but I found it a bit tiring (and it didn't help that I usually was already tired ;)). But both a pretty minor.

Anyway, after waiting this long to finally play this, it sure did not disappoint!

8/10
  • Reacher 4 Sep 2019 18:10:51 2,852 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Remnant : From the Ashes

I quite enjoyed the first few bits, but it became a bit of a slog during the middle. Thankfully it was shorter than I had expected and I managed it reasonably enough on the SP/no co-op despite many deaths and I struggled on a few bosses.

7/10

Edited by Reacher at 18:11:19 04-09-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Sep 2019 06:42:18 7,716 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Astral Chain

Between immense combat and plodding pre mission open area bullshit, this is very much a game of two halves. Granted itís platinum so the combat is pretty spectacular, I just wish they had thought about the pacing as itís so bad.

8/10
  • Fonzie 5 Sep 2019 07:41:32 3,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Final Fantasy XII (Switch)

Been wanting to play this ever since it came out on PS2, but I can only really play (J)RPGs on a portable (sofa-gamer plus family wants to use the TV as well ;)). Therefore the Switch version was a nobrainer and bought at launch.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Initially I had to get used to the typical Final Fantasy-ness of things (it's been a while), but when it clicked it was awesome. After the gambit-system I don't think I can go back to a traditional turn-based battle system. I actually liked the characters and story (loved to listen to Fran's voice). The hunts were more fun than I expected. I have the feeling I missed most of the sidequests (they're not that obvious to find).

My biggest annoyance was that you had to get really (really) close to treasures before you could open them. Besides that I found the language a bit overly "old-fashioned" (can't think of a better word). It fits with the setting, but I found it a bit tiring (and it didn't help that I usually was already tired ;)). But both a pretty minor.

Anyway, after waiting this long to finally play this, it sure did not disappoint!

8/10
    Just finished this on PS4. Played and loved it on PS2 when it was first released. Bought it on release day with the hardback game guide which I still have. The 4x speed made grinding for exp and items much better and I managed to so far more extra content than in the original. Got most of the espers and beat most of the marks but just didn't have the patience to go and try for Yiazmat. Enjoyed what I played and new where to leave it after finishing the main game content. Went into NG+ but left it at the start.

A solid 8/10.

Now to replay Dragons Dogma without any frame rate issues as remaster has been sitting unplayed for some time.
  • DrStrangelove 5 Sep 2019 21:26:51 14,489 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shadowrun (SNES) (re-completed)

A really great classic although with flaws. What I love is how it mixes point-n-"click" adventure with action and the occasional hacking mini-game. The "karma" point levelling system is simple but effective. Setting and story are really nice.

On the downside, combat is pretty bare-bones, the UI is too clunky (could have been improved a lot with a few tiny tweaks), but most of all the obscure puzzles. You'll sometimes learn an important keyword in random conversation with a random person, and then you'll have to find some other random person in the game that happens to know something about it and gives you another keyword, and so on. So if you don't know the solution already, you'll spend ages constantly asking every person in the game about every keyword you know. Knowing where to get items and what to do with them is similarly random. It's an unwelcome reminder of those point'n'click adventures where at some point you'll have to resort to just using everything with everything else, hoping to find the needle in the haystack by pure chance.

A good example of an obscure quest is when you're told to get something "from a man". What your dog spirit wants is a magic fetish, but how would you know that? To get that, you'll have to heal a shaman lying in some crypt, but how would you know that? The only way to heal him is to use a slap patch on him, but if you used the only one you got in the early game for yourself, how would you know that? Now where would you get a new slap patch? Street doctors? Nope. Turns out you get them from some little boy hanging around in the scrapyard after asking him about "heal".

This is bullshit. It would've been fine if there were any hints whatsoever, but there aren't. You have to resort to walkthroughs which is a bummer because it kills some of the fun, but not doing so kills even more.

I also had a glitch where a vital armour upgrade wasn't available for purchase even though it was supposed to be at that point. Going through the entire section in question again and going through the same portal again did the trick, but if I hadn't learned about it in the first place I'd have hit a brick wall with no idea what to do to progress.

Without these issues, it could've been a 9-9.5 game. This way, I'll give it 8.5/10. Without the walkthrough, it'd have been less because virtually unbeatable.

Fez (re-completed)

A beautiful, fantastic game. Most people know it anyway, so I won't have to rave about the unique mechanic, the style, the love for detail etc. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

But while it's possible to finish the game without a huge lot of hassle, new game+ which requires you to solve all puzzles has a similar problem as Shadowrun. The puzzles are tough, and I had fun figuring out the number system and stuff like that, but some of them are so random and obscure it's just obscurity for obscurity's sake.

Like how you'll have to find 4 owls spread across the 50-100 or whatever levels and they only appear at night. Or how a button code is two button codes combined from two rooms on almost opposite ends of the game--and then they're not even one after the other, they're two columns of button presses you have to put next to each other and then go through them left-right like reading a text. There is no hint whatsoever of where to even start. Another puzzle has you using a telescope in the right direction at the right time and then you get dots which are morse code which you then have to decipher to get the next button code. Too much!

That the button codes often don't register makes it even worse. I spent a lot of time unsuccessfully doing the correct one, only to find out that after leaving and entering the room again it suddenly worked.

And then there's a puzzle where joypad rumble gives you the code. However, I had turned rumble off. There is no hint whatsoever, so if I hadn't looked it up on Google I'd have never been able to solve this puzzle. I wonder how this puzzle is adjusted for keyboard players, or if it is at all.

So new game+ is a rather frustrating experience, but I'll just ignore that for my score and give it 9/10.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:28:08 05-09-2019
  • DrStrangelove 5 Sep 2019 21:29:12 14,489 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also Super Metroid again.

Jump mechanics are shit, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

10/10
  • Baihu1983 7 Sep 2019 11:33:18 11,625 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man of Medan

Fun if short game. Will play again and look forward to the next game.
  • creepiest-lizard 7 Sep 2019 11:37:34 688 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A plague tale: Innocence.
    Fantastic game. Well written, interesting story with some lovely gothic darkness. Interesting and fun stealth mechanics which are not usually mutually compatible things with me and for a smaller developer it looks beautiful as well.
    Probably the most fun I've had with a game this year, I think
    9/10
  • uiruki 8 Sep 2019 20:53:11 4,899 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    23. Astral Chain - Switch - 3/5

A game of two halves. Everything around the generally excellent combat is irritating and slow; the 'platforming' completely exasperated me. A jump button would have fixed a significant amount of my problems and given me a much better overall impression as it felt like I was just being beaten down by irritations; every time I had to battle the camera, every time I slid around and off a platform.

The scoring system is completely worthless too as it goes by how many different moves without taking into account player damage, maintained attacks and only a limited amount of scoring for speed. As a result, overpowering the enemy quickly and efficiently will land you a sub-standard grade, but grinding out a tough-fought battle of attrition, dying multiple times, will get you an S+.

It really feels like it could have done with another few months in the oven. This includes completely redoing the final boss, because jesus christ it's bad.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Sep 2019 20:55:39 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard

You forgot to mention the lacklustre final chapters and last "encounter"

up until around chapter 13, it was my GOTY. In the end probably a high 7 from me.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Sep 2019 20:56:19 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gears 5 Campaign.
    10/10
  • JamboWayOh 8 Sep 2019 20:59:43 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Gears 5 Campaign.
    10/10
    I am shocked. SHOCKED.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Sep 2019 21:49:51 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JamboWayOh
    ;)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Sep 2019 22:22:50 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Guessing it was a bit of a letdown for you given you didn't give it an 11.
  • JamboWayOh 8 Sep 2019 23:58:26 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @JamboWayOh
    ;)
    Tbh though I'm near the end of Act 3 and there was a bit with a spinning space pod while enemies poured out of holes and I couldn't help myself from grinning maniacally at how good the combat was, especially with Jack's abilities.
  • JoelStinty 9 Sep 2019 21:32:26 8,073 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watch Dogs: Badblood DLC

Decent. 10 missions (or so) worth of entertainment which carries on from the main game with one of if not best character you meet. Short and sweet with more of the same gameplay . Mixes it up with a RC car you can control and some more platformy type gameplay - moving lasers and that. Wonít take you that long to complete but the dlc also includes more side stuff like car time trails and investigations if you wish to do them.

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:37:08 09-09-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.