Gears 5 Campaign.
    10/10
    I am shocked. SHOCKED.
    🤣
  • rwklau 10 Sep 2019 01:21:49 145 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Golf Peaks

Solid little relaxing puzzle game (note that it's golf-themed and not a golf game) that recently got an extra 12 levels (at least on the Steam version) for a total of 121. Perfect game for me to unwind with as everything's turn based.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Sep 2019 08:57:12 14,645 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I also really enjoyed Golf Peaks when I played it about a month ago.
  • JonFE 11 Sep 2019 22:00:14 1,944 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Resident Evil 4 (yes, 4)

After numerous attempts to get into this on the various formats I've purchased it on (GameCube, Wii, x360, Steam) I finally started and finished the Leon campaign - now playing as Ada. The irony is that it had to come to GamePass for me to finally beat it :eek:

It goes without saying that the game certainly deserves the accolades it has received over the years. Apparently, what held me back, apart from the stop-to-shoot controls, were some of its idiosyncrasies, like limited ammo and the need to preserve it, inventory micro-management and the necessity for constant weapon changing. However, after the 30 hours it took me to explore every nook and cranny, they all became like second nature.

No score (this game is a legend, who am I to grade it)
  • Malek86 12 Sep 2019 10:31:12 8,755 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox One)

So let's see. The battle system is pretty great. Cool, right? Too bad nothing else is. The characters make me want to facepalm during every single cutscene. During the first half I just want to punch everyone in the face. During the second half, I just want to shut everyone up. The story made no sense either. Feels like they were just writing it as they went. I particularly cringed at some of the CG cutscenes. What was up with that moto race thing? And the ending? Maybe it's best not to think about it too much.

Even the great battle system can't hold on for long. The second half of the game doesn't feel balanced at all. By the final boss I was switching paradigms like a madman. Don't really wanna go back for the post-end content.

There'd be more to say (weapon augmenting is completely unexplained, items are mostly worthless, etc.) but nevermind that. I don't have to care anymore, at least.

6/10 - I actually kinda enjoyed the first half, while the second half was a lot worse despite the more open design.

Can't find myself caring about starting FF13-2, now or ever. I suppose this is why the Fabula Crystallis thing failed, uh. Goodbye Lightning, it was not that nice knowing you.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:32:45 12-09-2019
  • Doomspoon 12 Sep 2019 13:37:46 2,986 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    Resident Evil 4 (yes, 4)

After numerous attempts to get into this on the various formats...
    I've tried a few times over on Steam and think I own it on the PS4 and X1, (I certainly have 5 and 6 on X1 and REmake, 0 and CV on PS4) I just can't get into it. I feel it's one that I should complete but I just don't get on with it. I played the original trilogy on PS1, most of CV on DC over half of 5 on X1, Revelations 1 and 2, played through Dino Crisis, the original Silent Hill games etc so it's not that I don't get general game mechanics. It just won't gel with me.
  • welshben1982 12 Sep 2019 14:28:27 1,302 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Gears 5 Campaign.
    10/10
    In other news...Water is wet! :lol:
  • JonFE 12 Sep 2019 23:23:59 1,944 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    JonFE wrote:
    Resident Evil 4 (yes, 4)

After numerous attempts to get into this on the various formats...
    I've tried a few times over on Steam and think I own it on the PS4 and X1, (I certainly have 5 and 6 on X1 and REmake, 0 and CV on PS4) I just can't get into it. I feel it's one that I should complete but I just don't get on with it...
    It was the exact same thing for me. I felt I was missing out by not completing it -it is one of the classics- but, I don't know...

First attempt on GC, everyone was raving about it, but aiming with that tiny stick, for me, was a nightmare. Then, came the Wii port where you would aim with the remote. That was definitely an improvement (I think I actually made it past the church on that) yet I couldn't get my head around avoiding enemies; I've been programmed all my gaming years before to kill every enemy. Finally, I got it on the x360 and a Steam sale, but it was mostly to have a playable copy when GC and Wii would eventually be retired from under the TV.

I'm not sure why I kept on playing this time, but, as I was writing this reply, I realized it was probably because of Dark Souls (bear with me for a moment). Before Dark Souls, I had it easy with videogames; I played every game I fancied and if I could not beat it, I would simply move on and abandon it. Dark Souls is the first game that was constantly pushing me away and I would refuse to let go. I kept hitting my head against its wall, over and over again, until I beat it and every souls/borne game/DLC before and after (apart from Sekiro, which I will - eventually). So, I think, DS strengthen my will to keep on playing a game that should be played to completion.
  • Dombat 12 Sep 2019 23:36:21 1,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of Dark Souls, I finally completed it recently. Third version of the game I bought as well :D (Remastered on Xbox One).

I donít really need to say much other than itís a masterpiece and will go down as an all-time favourite.

10/10.
  • Samildanach 13 Sep 2019 01:19:59 107 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Malek86
    Pretty much perfect write up of that games' ridiculousl flaws. The story and characters were so dreadful, I had forgotten that CG race, what was the point? And the reason for it?
    The climatic battle was utterly ridiculous. Why did they fight when that was exactly what the villain wanted, and they knew it? Yet said villain then seemed pissed off that they did want to fight. They win, Cocoon is about to be destroyed as predicted ....then magic happens and woooo, everything is lovely. Were the writers on drugs?!
  • wizbob 13 Sep 2019 01:48:28 917 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just finished Arkane's Prey. A pretty solid 8/10 from me, I loved the setting, the plot twists and the systems. The downsides would be the enemies were a bit dull and their ability to mimic seemed pretty underutilised. Also, listening to audio logs was fun in Bioshock but is played out these days.

High points include the interactions with live characters and some emergent results, the EVA sections and the beautifully designed spacestation.

The setting didn't quite generate the atmosphere that Dishonored did but it was a nice change of pace.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Sep 2019 06:15:05 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    welshben1982 wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Gears 5 Campaign.
    10/10
    :)
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2019 07:11:04 7,716 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    welshben1982 wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Gears 5 Campaign.
    10/10
    Just wait til you hear about the MP...
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Sep 2019 09:47:55 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3
    I'm trying to love it. honestly
  • evild_edd 13 Sep 2019 22:22:21 4,123 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Soma

What. An. Ending.

Easily one of the best narratives told in a videogame.

Gameplay wise it was solid if unspectacular, but the setting was great and it didn't outstay its welcome.

9/10
  • Bichii 13 Sep 2019 23:46:47 1,894 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yep,loved the game and it's ending.
  • creepiest-lizard 14 Sep 2019 05:34:53 688 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Soma was indeed great
  • HarryPalmer 14 Sep 2019 15:02:28 5,958 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Days Gone - 4/10

I had a whole review of this brewing, but honestly, it's not worth it.

Something bad happened during development because this shit ain't finished.

Genuinely never thought it would end.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2019 15:24:06 7,716 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Blasphemous 8/10

I really liked this game, the final boss was a PITA to the point I nearly quit a few times in frustration but glad I didnít.

Its combat and art style are amazing but some of its jumping left me frustrated and a few of the bosses were not great. I would say i liked it slightly less than hollow knight.
  • MrAGSystems 14 Sep 2019 15:44:30 27 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    @HarryPalmer I played it for the first time last weekend for about six hours and it was beyond repetitive. Every mission seemed to be clear out a freaked best, clear out a bandit camp or do a NERO post - did it mix it things up at all? (needless to say I abandoned it).
  • wuntyphyve 14 Sep 2019 15:51:54 12,668 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I grabbed it yesterday. Seems pretty good so far but not be very far in yet.
  • HarryPalmer 14 Sep 2019 15:59:25 5,958 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrAGSystems no it does not mix it up at all. It actually gets worse as it goes along and itís about 49 hours long.
  • whatthefu 14 Sep 2019 17:17:38 1,236 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just completed Hollow Knight yesterday, 67% in 25 hours or so.
    I liked the game overall, the platforming and exploration was fun and the graphics and atmosphere were great. The main thing I didn't like was a lot of the boss battles, I found them much tougher than the rest of the game.

I've seen it said that the game is tough and that using charms to beat bosses is kind of cheating, but some of the bosses are too tough. Unlike castlevania the save rooms aren't close to the bosses either so I mainly got fed up dying and having to trek back to the boss and dying again.

Overall I did like it a lot though. 7/10.

And now I see Dead Cells has been added to game pass :)
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2019 17:21:00 7,716 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @whatthefu who told you using charms is cheating?
  • whatthefu 14 Sep 2019 17:30:17 1,236 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 it's just something I read online, like charms make the game too easy and hardcore players beat the bosses without charms :p
  • wuntyphyve 14 Sep 2019 17:33:33 12,668 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Eh. Hardcore players will always look for an extra challenge. I wouldn't say the game is too easy with charms. At all.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2019 17:34:57 7,716 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well that maybe the case but then Ďhardcoreí players beat dark souls without levelling, that doesnít make it the correct (or best) way to play and doesnít diminish the achievements of people who choose to level.

Seriously, the charms are an integral part of the game and the internet saying not to use them is ridiculous.
  • MrAGSystems 14 Sep 2019 17:46:42 27 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    Yep, like some guy I know saying using your oils and decoctions on Witcher III is cheating.

Wat.
  • docrob 14 Sep 2019 18:20:26 1,210 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like using summons with bosses is cheating in Soulsborne games.

The games are literally designed with this in mind. The only one Iíve finished is DS3, I had help on about half the bosses, and Iím not remotely sorry.
  • Darth_Flibble 15 Sep 2019 12:45:47 3,600 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gears5 (campaign)

Unlike gears4, the 1st act is so much better in 5. The sandbox they add in acts 2 and 3 is new but it suffers from other games where there isn't much to do apart from side objectives to get ultimate upgrades for your floating robot (which are very useful especially the freeze flash) Unfortunately the game has some game breaking bugs (the dodgy checkpoints/freezes have been fixed) but had game breaking glitch on act 2 (had to restart the xbox to use the object you get to break the ice. Part of act 3, had to load the 2nd previous checkpoint as the current CP had the glitch.

The game looks really great even on old style xbox 1 and overall I had a good time apart from stuff above but they really need to improve the AI. Its fucking bad at times like Del running into a snatcher and getting downed again and again or getting grabbed by the tentacles monster. At one point the AI will keep a pipe melee weapon instead of picking up a gun. Also the game has difficulty spikes in act 2, 3 and 4, eg the act 2 boss is so easy on beginner but can 1 hit kill you and takes a lot of shots on the next difficulty up (freeze flash is good for that boss fight) Also fuck the shielded enemies with drop shots. For a AAA game they need to improve the AI as its still as bad as Gears1 when Dom would die a lot against RAAM on hardcore or insane (Cliffy cunt B, has been reminded about that!)

last act stuff
    I felt the choice who to save was a bit cheap as they attack the new queen with just knifes, which is dumb then you have to save one and let one die. Its cheap story telling to get emotional pay off. Also it just ends on act 4, you feel like there should more like a 5th act. It might as well have to be fucking continued in big letters on the screen

I got it on gamepass and got it early and enjoyed a lot of the game, the bugs were annoying and Gears never these sort of problems. I hope they can improve the AI and do more with the story for gears6 and not just another gears game

8/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.