Following Recently Completed Games Page 594

• uiruki 23 Sep 2019 23:04:06 4,933 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    25. Super Metroid - Switch - 5/5

Classic. Always felt the controls were a little stiff but the level design is so great; at this point it's just a really fun, atmospheric trip.
  • Tuffty 24 Sep 2019 13:46:01 4,399 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sayonara Wild Hearts

This game is £10. It can be played from start to finish in a little over one hour. Depending on your preference for synth pop and the games particular visual style, you may be turned off by it just by watching a trailer.

To me however, the game is incredibly gorgeous and stylish as hell, sounds wonderful and the two work seamlessly together with inventive level design to create an easy going game experience. It is one of the tightest, most polished and uniquely affecting game experiences I have had all year. Having played it I know why Rez is so near and dear to peoples hearts and so I am glad to have played this and consider it my own Rez.

8/10

Edited by Tuffty at 13:48:58 24-09-2019
  • Samildanach 24 Sep 2019 16:40:14 115 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on PS4
    So I spent about 110hrs in this one so that I could see it through to the end of the main game and second end of the expansion Dark Arisen bit.
    The main game itself I mostly enjoyed. It has a low point when you first arrive at the dreary main city and suddenly have far to many shit sidequests to do that may or may not disappear forever (thereby losing important merchants etc.) if you progress the main quest. But the world, Big monster battles and Dungeons were much more compelling, especially the Griffin and Dragon fights.

The so called post game dungeon was a bit of a repetitive drag and while the expansion in bitterblack isle was better, it did suffer from Dragon's Dogma's biggest flaw for me: you will generally either steam roll enemies or find that you damage them so little that it would take hours of chipping away at their health. Bitterblack isle therfore became less a game of skill and rather a place of grinding to get better levels and gear.

I hate grinding.

Fortunately the three main BBI bosses were better balanced and provided a nice fair challenges, so I can say I enjoyed it in the end.

Dragon's Dogma Main Game 4/5
    Dark Arisen Expansion 3/5

Edited by Samildanach at 16:40:51 24-09-2019
  • JoelStinty 24 Sep 2019 18:51:57 8,156 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    F1 2019

About to do the last race of my first season (Been racing 50% races)

+F2 Cars. So much fun to drive, have to wrestle them a little bit and their back ends like to get out of shape. Real good addition to the game. The 2019 update hasn't dropped yet, but you get to drive a full 2018 championship.

+ General Racing is really good. A.I is feisty.

+ Lighting in particular is great, you can see the general ambient weather move across the track though its lighting, so particular corners of the track which have weather coming in are darker and it can brighten and darken on the go. The evening and morning light as well is really pretty.

+Handling. Is fantastic on the pad. (Don't have a compatible wheel). Tyres have varying levels of grip and you notice that during races. Long corners are satisfying as you feel the car leaning on the tyres, and can judge if you are pushing too much.

/ Maybe not so much a criticism, but difficulty is inconsistent. Racing dry races I had the AI between 75-90. You can fine tune it after each session (practice, Quali etc) but sometimes you don't really know what you are going to get until you are racing. But the races you have it dialled in, taking tenths of the drive in front or defending from behind is exhilarating. The other races I just create a narrative in my head that the team were shit or I drove amazingly.

/Does have a few frame drops. Doesn't spoil things, but a couple of corners can't handle things and when fireworks go off at the night tracks it affects the last lap. But when you are racing 45/60 minute races its only minor stuff.

- I haven't really nailed wet weather. I find it quite difficult and other cars seems to have too much traction compared to me. This can be an issue on a couple of dry tracks as well where other cars acceleration out of corners seems extreme.

Codemasters really have got their driving games nailed down at the moment. If you are a fan of F1, or enjoy racing games pick this up. 21 tracks, loads of modes on made up championships, a career mode, decent online, great handling, audio and visuals, its a game that is easy to recommend.

4.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 18:53:42 24-09-2019
  • RedPanda87 24 Sep 2019 19:37:12 1,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sayonara Wild Hearts

An endlessly inventive slice of pop perfection.

8/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2019 22:38:32 6,533 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gears 5 (PC) - 8/10

Finished this co-op - my first time doing a full Gears campaign in co-op. Highly enjoyable in gameplay terms. Gunplay is as good as ever for the series, area design is decent and enemy variety is pretty solid as well. The mini open-world bits work pretty well - helps that they're Metro Exodus style "mini" worlds, rather than the full icon-o-thon of an Ubisoft game.

Story is as daft as ever, but the writing is, barring one really shit bit at the end of Act 1, generally less toe-curling than Gears 4. Feels like The Coalition are starting to find the right tone now, after what felt like a heavy mis-step in the previous game.
  • MrAGSystems 24 Sep 2019 23:40:38 102 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @JoelStinty Have you played 2018 at all? I've it almost untouched, just sitting there. Wonder how they compare as you make 2019 sound like excellent fun.
  • JoelStinty 25 Sep 2019 06:39:02 8,156 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrAGSystems I haven't I'm afraid. I don't know if any reviews can answer that. I can't imagine it be too much different, with only some handling differences, but I can't say for sure. Last one I played was 2015 and 2019 felt like a major step up, even if the fundamentals were the same.
  • RedPanda87 27 Sep 2019 16:28:16 1,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Untitled Goose Game

Good fun and constantly amusing. A bit like a small scale Hitman without all the hints Hitman gives you (though being small scale you don't really need them). I wish there were one or two more areas, and that at least one of them was bigger, but what's there is great.

8/10
  • Graxlar_v3 27 Sep 2019 17:17:52 7,937 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Child of light 6/10

A very pretty game, lots of visual charm. But dull as dishwater with a combat system that starts of unforgiving moves to frustrating and the ends up completely broken if you have the right skill (I accidentally fell upon the ability to stun lock the last two bosses into place and stop them from ever attacking, which is lucky really as I would have probably quit if I had to do them more than once).

I wanted to like the game I really did, but I just didnít enjoy myself and was forcing myself to complete it.
  • MrAGSystems 27 Sep 2019 17:35:05 102 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @JoelStinty Ah cool.

I'm reluctant to dive in right now as I'm glued to GT Sport, the handling model is just sublime.
  • Malek86 27 Sep 2019 23:16:46 8,926 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dead Cells (PC)

Possibly the best map navigation I've ever seen in a 2D platformer. So good, in fact, that most Metroidvanias could learn a lot from it. No slowly plodging through already beaten paths here: movement is fast and fluid, killing enemies gives you speed boosts that let you fly around like a ninja, and there are tons of well placed teleporters to go back to previous areas without having to actually run the way again.

All of the above points apply to combat as well, which is frenetic and yet both responsive and always giving out all the feedback a player needs. It works to so well that, once you get used to your build, you are effectively dancing through the enemies. Very few weapons felt completely useless, although I still had my favorites.

I suppose the biggest issue is that, as in many roguelikes, the initial areas can feel like a a slog once you have become experienced enough. In this case however it's especially annoying, due to how the levels are structured. The overall progression is very similar every time, so each run doesn't seem as different as something like Binding of Isaac.

It was great while it lasted, but I feel pretty content with having killed the final boss, I don't really want to go back for more.

8/10

Game Pass delivers once again. Although I really need to go back to Gears 5 now...
  • Dirt3 28 Sep 2019 13:02:08 492 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like F1, but I have to see a good increase in features to justify a purchase, otherwise it's a bit samey.

ATM I'm on F12017 and I've got a massive amount of playtime on that, contemplating buying F12018. That will give me 8 new cars with the headline edition and one new track (Paul Ricard). I will pay £15 for that and it's close to that point.

F12019 if you get the legends edition and with the F2 season as well looks like a good increase in features. The price is still pretty heavy though at 50 quid.
  • MrAGSystems 29 Sep 2019 00:23:46 102 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Spider-Man (PS4)

Had this at release and ditched it, but picked it up again yesterday on the cheap. I remember why I abandoned it initially - it does a lot right, but also a lot wrong.

The production values are stellar, it looks and sounds amazing. Some of the incidental details and dialogue are great (fast travel screens, some of the general public's reactions to Spidey, his own quips). The combat is obviously derivative of the Arkham games, but it works well. Traversal is so well realised and executed to the point where it's probably the best part of the game...

... Just as well they nailed it because you end up doing it for a lot of your playtime. Sam'e with the combat, but that gets old when you realise the majority of side missions are clearing out enemy "camps". The ones with waves are particularly tiresome. At least the main story missions are different, right? Wrong. They also involve a heck of a lot of the exact same combat encounters, except these are topped off with wearisome boss fights.

The boss fights are however, infinitely more welcome than the forced, insta-fail stealth sections. That's right, one of 2018's biggest games is rammed full of them. Unforgivable having this type of shit from a veteran studio that should know better.

I can't help but feel we saw 90% of the good bits game in that one demo back at E3 2017 - 6/10.
  • Nitrous 29 Sep 2019 21:36:05 1,822 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gears 5 xbox gamepass 8/10

Gears campaign is as enjoyable as ever in terms of gameplay and gunplay. It seems to have taken a step up in the way the game looks but I think it's got more to do with lighting and effects bearing in mind this is on the old base xbox.

Story is better than 4 as is the writing aside from the odd bit at the end of Act 1. Difficulty felt about right with the hardest parts coming towards the end of Act 2 on the ice and then the boss battle.
  • RedPanda87 30 Sep 2019 17:29:21 1,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Over the Alps

A brilliantly written spy story full of decisions big and small.

9/10
  • dominalien 30 Sep 2019 20:55:23 9,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap on the 3DS

A very classic Zelda, much in the vein of ALttP. The map seems very small, and I think I read before I started that it was short, but it turned out to be anything but. It doesn't hold your hand at all, there's the occasional marker on the map, but otherwise you're left to figure stuff out on your own. I approached it the wrong way at the beginning and got really stumped at a couple of spots, to the point I left it on the side for a couple of years. I then got stuck in a dungeon because I forgot a mechanic the game taught me before. Thoroughly exploring and re-exploring and talking to people are necessary, I should really have also been taking notes.

Anyway, a real joy.

8/10
  • Trendyninja 1 Oct 2019 10:23:59 219 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Last of Us Remastered

I originally completed this on the PS3 when it was first released and then bought the remastered version for the PS4 when that was first released but never fully started it. This last weekend I decided to make a real go of it again.

Incredible game that still evokes so much emotion from me. The writing and voice acting is exemplary. I can't think of any other game that's had me feel so much empathy for each of the characters...even characters that you meet very early on in the game and are then tragically lost in the most unforgiving way. :cry::cry::cry:

Everything about this game works so perfectly for me, the pacing, the gunplay, the characters, the setting, the writing. I really couldn't ask for more.

If I have any niggle with the game it would be that the a.i. can be quite frustrating at times with Ellie or somebody else standing in the way or walking into your line of fire when you're in the midst of a gunfight. But to be fair those moments are few and far between so easily forgivable.

9.5/10

Oh and I believe it's also going to be free this month if you have a PS Plus account so no excuse to give this game a miss if you've not played it before.

Edited by Trendyninja at 10:24:15 01-10-2019
  • JoelStinty 3 Oct 2019 08:19:33 8,156 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    I like F1, but I have to see a good increase in features to justify a purchase, otherwise it's a bit samey.

ATM I'm on F12017 and I've got a massive amount of playtime on that, contemplating buying F12018. That will give me 8 new cars with the headline edition and one new track (Paul Ricard). I will pay £15 for that and it's close to that point.

F12019 if you get the legends edition and with the F2 season as well looks like a good increase in features. The price is still pretty heavy though at 50 quid.
    Yeah Thatís a fair comment. I often justify buying f1 or sports games the same way. I hadnít played one since 2015 and felt there was enough to justify the price. Think next year be good for those whom havenít touched the series in a while with Vietnam and Holland being added to the track roster. Still playing 2019 after I done my first season surprisingly. Love the racing. Just do a session a day and keeps me ticking over nicely
  • JoelStinty 3 Oct 2019 09:35:12 8,156 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Links Awakening

Completion time: 15-20 hours

A good remake of a classic game. Grezzo have done a great job bringing the game to a modern audience whilst also keeping the style and tone of the original game.

I wasnít entirely engrossed with the game however, it is at heart a gameboy game and an early Zelda title. The series has come on a long way, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless. I think also that my patience isnít as long as it once was, whilst the game does keep pointing you in the right direction there are a couple of obtuse moments where I found myself reaching for a guide much quicker than I may have done.

4/5
  • Globalmeltdown 3 Oct 2019 10:21:16 759 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Trendyninja Iím a big Xbox fan and spend 95% of my time on it but The last of Us is the best game I have ever played, everything about it is near perfect especially the story. Really canít wait for the second one 😀
  • The_Goon 3 Oct 2019 10:56:56 1,396 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Links Awakening

Completion time: 15-20 hours

A good remake of a classic game. Grezzo have done a great job bringing the game to a modern audience whilst also keeping the style and tone of the original game.

I wasnít entirely engrossed with the game however, it is at heart a gameboy game and an early Zelda title. The series has come on a long way, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless. I think also that my patience isnít as long as it once was, whilst the game does keep pointing you in the right direction there are a couple of obtuse moments where I found myself reaching for a guide much quicker than I may have done.

4/5
    I was planning on grabbing this later after release but just saw another advert for it and it looks so gorgeous. Not sure I'll be able to wait beyond Christmas frankly - I have a mental backlog though so probably should hold off...
  • Tomo 3 Oct 2019 21:10:24 16,778 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Observer - 6/10

It's fine. The world is great. The story is pretty good. The game itself is mainly plodding around, tapping into this and that. Then some terrible stealth sections and a bit more wandering. I'd have rather they just went fully walking-simulator and put more emphasis on exploring the environments rather than having one or two game mechanics that didn't really work.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Oct 2019 22:42:45 11,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really liked Observer and how still it all was. I like the puzzles and menu interface stuff. Navigating the drones in the busier and stealth sections was a pain.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2019 08:49:07 15,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Another fan of Observer here, although the ending did get a bit batshit. I loved the atmosphere though and it was decent enough gameplay wise.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Oct 2019 08:52:27 11,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst

I know it's not a super popular view but I'm a fan of the series. The aesthetic is bold and stands out, the core gameplay is beautiful (when it works) and it's a series that actually stands out as pretty unique for a triple A publisher to have backed.

This one is canonical prequel but really a reboot and it fixes almost every issue the original had. The controls are smoother, the open world style environment means you actually have the freedom to run, the combat (while still being first person melee) mostly works and while it falls apart eventually the story does feel more integral to the gameplay.

The big thing is the open world map really. A little bit of Assassins Creed icon clutter but only a handful matter or have fun sidequests behind them so you can ignore half of it. The city is a little deserted but I suppose the point is that you're living and running above and outside normal society.

Eventually the game becomes more restrictive as the plot winds to a conclusion but there's lots of running on the way there and in this game the running is mostly free and fun.

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2019 09:20:01 15,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I enjoyed the first game (except for the shooty bits), but never managed to get into the second game. Maybe I should give it another try.
  • Tomo 4 Oct 2019 09:33:14 16,778 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Another fan of Observer here, although the ending did get a bit batshit. I loved the atmosphere though and it was decent enough gameplay wise.
    I actually really liked the ending. I wondered where it would end up and didn't imagine it would play out like it did. It wrapped up in quite a satisfying way.
  • RawShark 4 Oct 2019 11:45:06 763 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Only just got around to finishing this. Would love to be controversial about it, but nope, it deserves every one of its plaudits. Exploration has never felt so rewarding... well maybe in the Witcher 3.

My only quibbles were that rain could be a real pain in the arse if you were halfway through climbing something, and after such an epic adventure, the actual endgame felt like a bit of a letdown.

Only uncovered about 75% of the game so I dare say I'll be dipping back in here and there.
  • CowsMakeNoise 4 Oct 2019 14:58:22 79 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I thought that both the games were great. Wasnít entirely convinced by the combat in either one, although it felt better in Catalyst. Iím not a fan of first person melee in any game mind, but thought that Catalyst did it acceptably.

That sense of freedom and running around the city is great though, and I love the style of the games. Just said weíll probably never see a third.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.