Following Recently Completed Games Page 595

• simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Oct 2019 21:18:15 11,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I enjoyed the first game (except for the shooty bits), but never managed to get into the second game. Maybe I should give it another try.
    Getting rid of the guns and adding a half decent dodge mechanic improved the combat so much.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Oct 2019 21:19:27 11,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Another fan of Observer here, although the ending did get a bit batshit. I loved the atmosphere though and it was decent enough gameplay wise.
    It's got one of the coolest opening title sequences and theme tunes in a long time too
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Oct 2019 06:25:43 7,937 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol
  • RedPanda87 5 Oct 2019 08:08:13 1,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I enjoyed the first game (except for the shooty bits), but never managed to get into the second game. Maybe I should give it another try.
    Getting rid of the guns and adding a half decent dodge mechanic improved the combat so much.
    Putting you in an arena with waves of enemies you had to kill did not though. The combat was still the weak link and they put it very much front and centre at least once (I say at least because I gave up there. I failed a handful of times and it was some of the least fun I can remember having in a game). It's a shame because the free running was great and the open world at least sort of worked.
  • Zippity-zap 5 Oct 2019 10:06:47 450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dominalien 6 Oct 2019 08:36:21 9,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana on PS Vita

This is absolutely superb.

It's an AA or even A game, it replaces a lot of animations with a black screen and sound of the action being performed, the writing is uneven, framerate often goes down to low 20s, though that never impacts the gameplay as far as I am able to tell and loading times are quite long.

With all that out of the way, it's a grand adventure with a good story I could understand for once, fun characters and splendid combat which never gets old. It requires absolutely no grinding if you do your exploring properly, my characters were always up to the task at hand. It also avoids having tonnes of extra content I'll never be bothered to try, it's all very manageable and while I missed some "100% of this or that" trophies I can totally see myself getting the platinum on this one.

Highly recomedened, it's absolutely one of the best JRPGs I've ever played, topping most FFs. I have played more spectacular games recently, but none were better than this one. 70 hours very well spent.

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 6 Oct 2019 18:45:47 15,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dead Cells

I'm not normally a fan of this type of game, partly because I don't like having to start from the beginning if I die, but mainly because I'm rubbish at them. However this was a joy to play as the moment to moment gameplay is so finely tuned. It took many attempts to reach the end, but the meta progression between runs helps develop your character so you progress a bit further each time.

Lots of fun!

10/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Oct 2019 20:49:37 11,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Putting you in an arena with waves of enemies you had to kill did not though. The combat was still the weak link and they put it very much front and centre at least once (I say at least because I gave up there. I failed a handful of times and it was some of the least fun I can remember having in a game). It's a shame because the free running was great and the open world at least sort of worked.
    Agree it was still imperfect and awkward, especially against multiple opponents (which is how it almost always happens) but it was so much better than Mirror's Edge 1.

It's a shame the progression system couldn't add more to the combat like it did with the movement. Especially the system for hitting a group of enemies with some momentum behind you mid run. There's a missed opportunity for not incorporating the movement and combat. It's such a shame to be zipping through the environment before being bogged down in a patrol or a set piece arena fight.
  • uiruki 6 Oct 2019 21:19:24 4,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    26. Code Vein - PC - 4/5

This ended up being very good. Lots of thoughts:

Good:

Map system - makes it hard to get lost and easy to make sure you have everything (tying into one of the bad points below)
    Item detector - just knowing how many items are left nearby is very good for my obsessive searching!
    Character building - learning skills and jumbling them around to make the Ultimate Build is really fun and in the end my character felt super powerful. No need for currency or anything to respec or anything, and there's a function to check your damage levels in the home base.
    Smooth action - unlocked framerate on PC (though it did bug out at one point, breaking one specific lift until I moved the limit down to 60 in the menus for a second) and a quick hex edit gave me 21:9, which is always appreciated in a console port.
    Character based storytelling - I liked the little moving dioramas telling everyone's story effective, and it all ties up well into the world.

Not so good:

Balance - in the second half it just ended up being a bit of a slugfest and I didn't even need to learn the last few bosses as I just smashed them up with my big sword. Though that was still fun in a way as it tied in to the character skill learning etc.
    Maps - Particuarly in the second half, the maps end up kind of degenerating into a series of gimmicked corridors. The water one, then the fire one, then the sandy one, then the spiky one. Most of them can be dealt with by only minor changes to your build though!
    Music - So does Go Shiina just sell music by the yard Vangelis-style now? Aside from a couple of themes there wasn't much going on at all.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2019 21:45:42 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki Ooooh, somebody finished that! I've put it on hold until I finish Surge 2, as despite the fact they're in the same genre, the controls are completely different and playing one wrecks my muscle-memory for the other.

Surge 2 is awesome, btw. Think I'm at around the 2/3rds mark in it, maybe a bit more.
  • uiruki 6 Oct 2019 22:06:07 4,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I've had Ys 9 on hold for a bit as there's no way I'd be able to swap between the two! That's another good one from the first hour or so but it remains to be seen if it can match up with Ys 8 which is probably still my favourite game of the generation. It does get a bit framey in town, even on PS4 Pro, though when you're in the proper dungeons it's fine. You do fight in town sometimes, which is when it struggles a lot.
  • Tomo 6 Oct 2019 23:21:12 16,778 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ori and the Blind Forest Ė 10/10

100 percented this today. I don't normally both doing such things Ė absolutely loved it.

It's hard to fault really. One slight issue: I discovered about 80% of the way through that I'd missed 2 abilities really early on, so I spent most of the game finding inventive ways of progressing around the map and killing enemies using a depleted toolset. Thought it seemed tricky... It wasn't until I decided to mop up some of the power-ups later on that I realised I hadn't gone down enough and missed an entire area or two! At this point, I felt completely OP and blasted through the rest of the game.

The different zones are wonderful and they get better and better as the game goes on. The controls are absolutely sublime. You can string together different powers and cover huge distances very quickly. This isn't the case at the start of the game, so by the end of it you feel really powerful and a real sense of progression. The story was touching in parts. The artwork was beautiful. It was polished throughout. Loved it from start to finish.

Played on Switch too Ė runs beautifully.
  • OllyJ 7 Oct 2019 06:09:05 4,554 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Control 6/10

Pretty enjoyable but ultimately repetitive.

Pros -
    Visuals and audio design are on another level.
    Stunning atmosphere throughout.
    Fun firefights from time to time.
    Decent world building materials.
    The Ash Maze was superb

Cons-
    Controls (lol) are not great, combat isn't as fluid as I'd like.
    Levitation ability is the main offender.
    Some awfully frustrating firefights with baaaad checkpoints.
    Really bad story, utter drivel.
    Dull characters.

I feel there's a great game hidden in here, and think they could do something cool with DLC. Though if it's just more errand work i would give it a pass.

Edited by OllyJ at 07:20:07 07-10-2019
  • wizbob 7 Oct 2019 12:21:05 918 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Untitled Goose 9/10

Played this through with my kids and they laughed the entire way through.

Absolutely gorgeous artwork, animation, typography, sound and music. They completely nailed the movement and behaviour of the titular goose. It has obviously been tested and iterated on because you are never lost or stuck and the unvoiced story is completely clear.

As a result though, the game is short; I finished it in two short sessions and finished most of the endgame tasks in a third sitting.

I was going to give it an eight, but the clever mise-en-abyme last stage and the final sight gag were worth an extra point.

Edited by wizbob at 21:07:50 07-10-2019
  • Dombat 7 Oct 2019 19:21:37 1,645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Difficult to rate this. I loved the game for most of the playthrough and was absorbed with it, in part due to its depth and admittedly my lack of experience with the genre. By around the 2/3 mark I started to lose steam with it and had to push through but the characters and story were enough to see me to the end.

+ decent combat system
    + good character development
    + likeable characters
    + great encounter design with the paralogue missions and some of the main story missions
    + the monastery offers a good change of pace between battles

but...

- the monastery structure gets very repetitive and tedious after a while
    - part 2 of the story was disappointing with how little it varied the downtime (and if anything it gets less fulfilling). I was expecting the second half of the game to change more than it did in terms of structure and that affected my motivation with the game
    - the game has some balancing issues (on normal you can steamroll most of the game but there are some major bosses you have to cheese)
    - combat arts mostly don't seem worth using. If they were better implemented it could have added a more tactical element
    - the divine pulse charges are too generous and make dying or fucking up not feel so consequential
    - the game is not a looker

Ultimately it's a flawed game I mostly enjoyed a lot and was invested in. Don't think I'll be in a hurry to try another playthrough with a different house though!

8/10
  • ghearoid 8 Oct 2019 11:39:58 3,234 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Persona 5 PS3

Just over 100 hours on the clock. I'd dropped it over the summer as I was finding it to be a slog by the halfway point, but I returned to it anyway and liked it a lot more once I got to the pyramid and had the new characters.

My main criticism is the bloody cat not letting you do anything. Also, some things aren't explained particularly well. I only understood certain mechanics once I was very late into the game. Possibly just my being slow on the uptake though. ;)

Overall, a solid 8/10 from me. I'll be doing a new game plus run at some point now I understand what I'm doing.
  • Malek86 8 Oct 2019 12:01:49 8,926 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The 11th Hour (PC)

Getting ready for The 13th Doll by finally catching up to the original sequel to The 7th Guest.

Rather than a collection of puzzles, this time it's a collection of puzzles that also requires you to solve riddles so you can go on a treasure hunt. And none of the riddles make any sense. Maybe they would for native speakers, but I doubt it. Even if you can work out the solution, you'll still need to scour the house for that particular object, unless you can remember exactly where everything is.

The puzzles aren't much better. They were already bad enough in T7G, but most of them at least followed a difficulty curve. In T11H you get thrown onto a chess pieces puzzle game that requires a minimum of 40 moves to complete, at the very start of the game. And just like the prequel, many puzzles have very slow animations that can't be skipped.

To its credit, the game gives you all the hints you want for the riddles, and also offers to solve any puzzles you might find too frustrating, so it's well possible to play this for the story alone. (the manual says you should expect consequences for abusing the help system, but there's none). For a 90's game, this was actually very much ahead of its time.

And the, ehm, story is typical 90's FMV goodness, if you know what I mean. I'll admit it looks higher budget than usual for the time, but not by much, and the acting is about as bad as you'd expect. On the plus side, it might just be the best-looking adventure game of 1995, with smooth animations to move between each screen.

Anyway, T7G is a classic despite its flaws, but I can see why nobody really remembers T11H. Bring on the new one.

5/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:17:34 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Surge 2 (PC) - 9.5/10

So I never thought I'd see the day when Deck13 gave From Software lessons in how to make a Soulslike. Turns out, 2019 was the year that happened.

Lords of the Fallen was a fucking mess. The Surge was a fairly good game, but one with plenty of flaws and rough edges. The Surge 2 is fucking amazing and knocks 2019's other big Soulslike, Sekiro, out of the park.

Anyway, it adheres fairly closely to the Souls formula. Bonfires become medical bays. Estus flasks become injectables. But first of all, it does the basics of a Soulslike really well. The actual game-world is pretty compact, with a large, intricate ruined-city area acting as hub, with various interlinked dungeons branching off from it. Everything is ridiculously interconnected, with shortcuts everywhere. Like the original Dark Souls, it holds off from unlocking fast-travel until quite late in the game and when it does unlock, it only takes you between three locations. This is a game that wants you to backtrack.

It keeps the backtracking fresh by having the game-world go through two major transitions at specific plot points. At around the half-way mark, a major plot event upends a lot of the game map, opening new shortcuts, closing off old ones and increasing the number and level of enemies. At around the 80% mark, it happens again, with buildings collapsing, new routes opening and enemies stepping up to end-game level.

Combat is really good. The misguided jump/duck system from the first Surge is gone, replaced with a directional-parry system that feels incredibly satisfying. Equip the right module (given to the player early) and enemy attacks bring up a directional prompt in advance. Hold block and flick the right analogue stick towards an incoming attack to parry it, opening up space for a riposte. Works way better than that fucking symbol-attack shit in Sekiro. On top of that, the energy bar system gives you a way to recharge your estus-equivalent mid-fight through attacking or successfully parrying (albeit with maximum estus charges very limited by Souls standards). Gives a nice incentive to play aggressively without crippling playstyles like Sekiro did.

Brought my NG completion home in 28 hours (like the first game, it's on the smaller side as the genre goes). According to the "how you compared to others" bit in the credits, my playtime was 2 hours longer than average, but at 104 deaths, I took 2 deaths less than average.

Best Soulslike since Bloodborne. EG hasn't even reviewed it.
  • uiruki 8 Oct 2019 15:22:37 4,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like the sound of the parry system. Iím a bit soulsed out right now after blasting through most of Code Vein in a weekend, and I didnít get on with the original Surge, but thatís on my list now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:24:46 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki The original Surge was your classic 7/10 kinda game. Some good ingredients, but also some really rough edges and stuff that just didn't work. They've really, really improved on it for the sequel.
  • uiruki 8 Oct 2019 15:45:14 4,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just kind of stopped in the second main area, I just didnít really enjoy any of the move sets, though I did enjoy building up armour sets by smacking up the same enemies.

Also the full stop as the thousands separator set me off.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:50:56 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki Combat in the first game had a few problems. The jump/duck system was completely useless - too hard to execute and only of use in a tiny number of situations anyway. The fact you couldn't move at all while blocking really limited playstyles. And combat could often feel a bit weightless, due to the lack of a proper poise/stability system.

The sequel fixes all of these.
  • uiruki 8 Oct 2019 15:54:28 4,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excellent - sounds ideal. I donít even remember jumping or ducking because I was spending too much time targeting body parts. Just a bit of extra complexity that didnít really benefit the game (unlike the dismemberment which both added a new dimension to the combat and fitted thematically with the gameís setting).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:56:31 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki Also, the drone is much more versatile and useful in the sequel. You can use it to put status effects on enemies and the like. Or you can use it in pure damage mode. It can knock off a good chunk of a boss's health bar (useful for burning through a nasty phase) and there are gear/implant sets that let you regen ammo for it while fighting, making ranged-focussed styles viable.
  • uiruki 8 Oct 2019 16:00:03 4,933 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I remember that feeling a bit weak and just another button to press. Combined with the estus equivalent being rechargeable it sounds like theyíve made the energy system much more interesting.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 16:08:13 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki The rechargeable-estus thing is great. You can only hold a small number of charges - one to begin with, five by the end of NG. Resting in a medical bay does not recharge you to full (though it does recharge you around half way). To charge further, you need to "bank" energy. Energy is earned by landing hits on enemies and parrying attacks (and there are various ways to boost energy gain). Once you have a full block of energy charged (figure 3-6 hits depending on weapon, or 2 parries), you can spend it immediately as an estus-heal, or, if your health is full, bank it as a stored charge.

What that means is that aggressive play and successful parries will let you keep replenishing your estus. However, as you can only bank energy as stored charges when your health is full, you do occasionally need to pull back to get some distance, heal to full and bank your stored energy. In boss fights, it means there is a fine line between playing overly aggressively and getting wiped out, or turtling too hard and losing the battle of attrition because you can't store energy.

During exploration, it's an extra risk-reward mechanic. You can be on a sliver of health with no stored estus charges, but if you can pull off a perfect fight, you might come out of it on full health and with an estus charge or two in the bank. What that basically translates into is an incentive to keep pushing on past the point where it would be wise to turn back and run for a medical bay.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Oct 2019 16:53:15 22,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You can bank the energy by holding down circle, you don't have to be at full health.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 17:01:36 6,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Ooops, yes, my muscle memory never properly accommodated that bit.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Oct 2019 21:37:30 3,625 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Sinking City xbox one

Very atmospheric game but its so janky from a small dev punching above their weight. its their sherlock holmes game with Lovecraft horror (there is even a poster about creepy watson for sherlock play/film), but they could of done more with the sanity effects. There is one good one where the cultists who eat the rock from the horror world turn into rock statues but they move like a weeping angel from dr who to stop you

The sandbox city is big and empty, its a waste of resources as its timesink to walk about in (you can unlock FT by finding phoneboxes) You can't talk to the NPC or discover interesting things in the city. Its a typical game design of must have big city to walk about but nothing of interest (as seen in Ghost recon games, Just cause to name 2)

The patches fixed some of the bugs but it runs a bit poor on standard xbox one still (it looks early gen game most of the time) I had one bug where a NPC T-posed and floated down the street at night, a bit creepy. The combat is bad and the frame rate does not help but shooting KKK members was satisfying

Its a 6/10 game and worth getting at discount price, I paid £25. There is stuff to like about the game but its flawed.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.