Recently Completed Games Page 596

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2019 16:16:52 6,929 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Untitled Goose Game (PC) - 6/10

Really wanted to like this more than I did, but got a bit ground down by the poor controls and fussily precise approach needed to certain puzzles. Suspect it's a much better game if rather than playing it yourself, you watch somebody who knows what they're doing play it through from start to finish, so you get the humour without the irritation. At least it's short enough that it doesn't outstay its welcome.
  • HarryPalmer 9 Oct 2019 19:54:22 6,038 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, definitely donít get the hype. As a game itís not very good, and quite annoying, but makes up for it with humour.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Oct 2019 15:32:44 16,041 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck off Dave
  • bighairybear65 10 Oct 2019 20:18:49 297 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uncharted Drakes Fortune (remaster) oldie but a goodie!
    More gunplay than I thought but enjoyed all of it, graphics looking a little dated but tis to be expected... apparently Among Thieves is a lot better on all fronts, we shall see itís up next after Gears 5!

7/10 turnips

Good fun :)
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Oct 2019 10:23:16 6,581 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Fuck off Dave
    What did I do?
  • monsieur-Cosmo 11 Oct 2019 11:03:14 513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2019 14:22:00 16,041 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Fuck off Dave
    What did I do?
    You know what you did.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2019 14:28:51
    Kept buying Call of Duty games innit, David
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2019 16:15:58 6,929 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Borderlands 3 (PC) - 9/10

Holy crap, that was a big game. Maybe my memory is just compressing things, but I don't remember any of the earlier games (absent DLC) being that long.

Anyway, Steam reckons I have 402 hours in Borderlands 2, so I guess I played a lot of it. If you'd asked me what I'd wanted from Borderlands 3, it would have been more or less what we got. Basically the same looty-shooty gameplay with better graphics and a lot more content. Oh, and no pay-to-win, no in-your-face monetisation and no always-online crap. So yeah, good stuff.

On the downside, the Calypso Twins don't hold a candle to Handsome Jack. They're not bad villains, but they can't really follow in the footsteps of the Man with the Diamond Horse. The humour mostly hits, but its hit:miss ratio perhaps isn't quite as good as the second game's (though much better than the Pre-Sequel's).

But yeah, that was really good. And now... True Vault Hunter mode awaits.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Oct 2019 16:58:14 6,581 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    Kept buying Call of Duty games innit, David
    IT'S TRUE! IT'S ALL TRUE!! /o\
  • uiruki 11 Oct 2019 23:22:00 4,993 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    27. Saga Scarlet Grace - Switch - 5/5

Possibly the ideal battle RPG. Amazing battle system, full of tactical possibilities. Balanced extremely well, too - I beat the final boss in a real do-or-die type situation and that kind of thing happened all the time.

The RPG part is no slouch either, though it's unusual. Presented in a picture-book style, it is more like a tabletop game in that you just move between encounters, either in towns, dungeons or with people or monsters in the open. It's refreshingly direct, and it feels like the non-essentials have been stripped away.

There's some weird loading stuff that goes on in battles, which is a hangover from the Vita version; the machine clearly didn't have the RAM to handle the game running on Unity so it would slowly load all the moves and effects before each turn. It does so here too, but in a much faster fashion. The effect is still a drag on the overall tempo, but it does provide for some great drama as you wonder why it's spending a little longer than usual preparing the turn to play out. I don't think it'd work if the characters had more hit points; a couple of bad hits or a mistake can easily take out one or two of your characters and set you on a slide towards defeat, even in a relatively 'easy' fight by the numbers.

The ports added a limited amount of voices but the real star of the show remains the music. My only real complaint would be that there isn't enough as a lot is spread across the four scenarios. That said, from what I can gather the four different characters progress through the story in a very different manner to one another. I'll definitely be playing through as another character at some point, after clearing it as the sarcastic ceramicist Taria. Dialogue is relatively scarce for an RPG but what's there is well-written and full of character. I really enjoyed the pairing of Taria and Kahn going through her story and the game's actually full of funny little moments, little mysteries, medium length stories and stuff that's left hanging or unsolved because you didn't do stuff in the right order.

I think this is coming out in English relatively soon. I can't recommend enough that you give this a shot. It's huge, it's daunting, the party levelling system initially makes it sound like you can chronically mess your game up but it's actually the opposite because it drags you up to where it thinks you should be. It's a series of systems and algorithms which have been agonised over for hundreds of hours to the point where it almost feels like it's scripted or even that someone's in control of it for maximum drama, but it really isn't. The Grace system in particular contributes hugely to that sensation and it's not like any Japanese RPG I've played before.
  • dominalien 12 Oct 2019 12:51:54 9,355 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Been playing some more Lacrimosa of Dana, getting more trophies. It wasn't hard or time consuming, a couple hours grinding to max all skills, getting the 5 remaining fish and the 3 or so remaining items. Used a guide for the last two.

I'm just missing one trophy, but that requires me to do the whole game from the start on a higher difficulty. :-( I loved it, but I'm not sure I'm ready for another 70 hours. Still, it's just one trophy.

Bastards.
  • dominalien 12 Oct 2019 15:33:13 9,355 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

Got it with PS+ a couple of years ago. I felt like playing with VR today, so started this and after realising how short it is completed in a sitting. It's certainly worth experiencing. I was hesitant to give it a go as everything is that much more intense in VR and so is this... at least at the start. I got used to the scares within the hour and that was that. Still, the spiders still gave me a fright or two.

7/10

Edited by dominalien at 15:33:35 12-10-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Oct 2019 15:54:52 3,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    World War Z

The "story" mode is very short but the game runs out of gameplay ideas before then. The AI isn't bad but they don't use turrets/traps etc or even limited heavy weapons which means they become a bit useless when you fight the zombie horde at points. when its all human players it becomes a better game unless you play with idiots who run off and the special zombies will kill you quickly unless you save them

The zombie tech is good and how many are on screen, also their climb like in the film as it just shit loads of them climbing on each other which you can send flying with a rocket or grenade

The game is very much a gamepass fodder game, play it for a weekend with friends then delete it

3/5
  • TechnoHippy 13 Oct 2019 16:45:36 15,634 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Steamworld Dig 2

Another game pass gem that would normally have passed me by. It's lovely world with plenty to explore and story comes across beautifully. The combat isn't as tight as say Dead Cells, which makes the boss battles a bit frustrating (to be fair I'm not a fan of boss battles), but there are only a few, and they're not too bad. Most of the game is a delight to play.

8/10
  • Malek86 14 Oct 2019 20:44:11 9,188 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gears 5 (Story Mode) (PC)

So, if the main objective was to deliver a better campaign than Gears 4, it definitely passes muster. There are more unique situations, weapons are more fun to use, fights don't last forever (although there are a few frustrating sections), and the semi-open world sections, while feeling pretty tacked on, do add a bit of flavor with their own secondary missions. Of course, Skyrim this ain't, it's more like Metro Exodus, although I think that game managed the semi-open world feel better.

But whereas both games also follow a similar narrative style, unfortunately Gears 5 can't stand up to Exodus in terms of story. And I say that as someone who thought the story in Exodus was average at best, so... do the math. The characters are also extremely inconsistent, and the final "choice" kinda comes out of nowhere, being also pointless since you probably don't care about these characters anyway. By the way, why is it that every robot companion in a shooter must perform a heroic sacrifice in the end?).

By the final act, it gets pretty long in the tooth and you just want it to be over, which luckily happens soon enough at that point.

All in all, a good campaign, but I'm glad I didn't pay anything thanks to Game Pass, because it's not something I would ever want to replay.

7/10
  • dominalien 14 Oct 2019 21:47:28 9,355 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doom 2016 on PS4

I appreciate that it's a pretty good game, but it's mostly not for me. I found a lot to like here, both the weightlessness and weight, the exploration, the basic mechanic of combat. Too bad it's all locked in a cycle of arena-maze-arena. I ended up looking at each map and identifying the arenas (the little zig zag in a circle denoting a powerup a dead giveaway) and counting them down to the end of the level. Luckily those got easier as I kept upgrading my character.

I am torn about the rune trials, they weren't bad, but they interrupted the flow of the game too much.

I really liked the boss fights, with the exception of the final one, where no attack pattern had to be learned and it was just enough to shoot, gather health and ammo and shoot some more.

I appreciated the story, such as it is; it was probably the main thing that saw me through to the end.

Oh, and I really really hated the level design which "encourages exploration" but then slams a door behind you if you go 10 cm too far cutting you off from secrets you were trying to figure out how to get to.

I had fun, but there were many times I wished it was all more like Doom 3.

7/10
  • kentmonkey 14 Oct 2019 22:16:17 23,227 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Gears 5 (Story Mode) (PC)

So, if the main objective was to deliver a better campaign than Gears 4, it definitely passes muster. There are more unique situations, weapons are more fun to use, fights don't last forever (although there are a few frustrating sections), and the semi-open world sections, while feeling pretty tacked on, do add a bit of flavor with their own secondary missions. Of course, Skyrim this ain't, it's more like Metro Exodus, although I think that game managed the semi-open world feel better.

But whereas both games also follow a similar narrative style, unfortunately Gears 5 can't stand up to Exodus in terms of story. And I say that as someone who thought the story in Exodus was average at best, so... do the math. The characters are also extremely inconsistent, and the final "choice" kinda comes out of nowhere, being also pointless since you probably don't care about these characters anyway. By the way, why is it that every robot companion in a shooter must perform a heroic sacrifice in the end?).

By the final act, it gets pretty long in the tooth and you just want it to be over, which luckily happens soon enough at that point.

All in all, a good campaign, but I'm glad I didn't pay anything thanks to Game Pass, because it's not something I would ever want to replay.

7/10
    Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Thought the first act was great, with some good storytelling. From act 2 onwards it completely lost its way, and some sections were overly long and tedious. Had it followed the pace, energy and story delivery of the first act, I would have been really interested to see what we ended up with.

Instead by the time of the.... Choice.....I couldn't give less of a shit. I had no connection with either, it felt rushed in terms of delivery, and without any real meaningful impact.

What started out a solid 9 ended up a very weak 7 for me.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:16:41 14-10-2019
  • ghearoid 18 Oct 2019 08:59:48 3,259 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Completed my fourth playthrough, this time the Black Eagles church route, s-ranked best boy Caspar ;)

Great game!
  • johnnyrocketfingers 18 Oct 2019 09:23:56 79 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Just finished Disco Elysium. 16 hours. The ending dropped on me, I didn't expect it so suddenly. Really wish it supported controller so I could sit back and chill.

I also would like games to stop having the press tab to highlight interactive objects. Solely because when are we ever NOT going to do that?

But...yeah, the story was interesting and I really did feel like shaping a depressive alcoholic detective. Smaller game than I expected, however. When they said open world I expected more than a small road section of a city.
  • Malek86 18 Oct 2019 09:26:05 9,188 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kentmonkey I think they were trying to ape Wolfenstein, and I bet they'll do the same in Gears 6.

But in Wolfenstein the sadistic choice was delivered in a far better way - the proof is in how it manages to be much more impactful despite the fact that it happens very early in the game, before you can feel attached to any characters, including BJ.

I just hope Gears 6 won't go down the Wolfenstein 2 route, with Kait emo-monologuing her way throughout the game.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:29:18 18-10-2019
  • OllyJ 18 Oct 2019 09:29:47 4,615 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 8/10

Took a little while to get going, and I really feel like Team Ninja should stay away from skill trees and crafting, the whole Iso 8 management was a chore.

BUT, you feel like a superhero squad, your moves feel powerful, the fights feel quite epic, and it's just a lot of fun. So much content as well, if we are talking pure value for money this game gives you so much. Definitely one I'm keeping in my collection.

Untitled goose Game 6/10

Sucked into the hype with this one. The first level in the garden was enough for me, it was well paced, funny, charming, and felt like a great toy to play with. After that, I just got quite bored of it, despite it retaining a really high standard of art and level design.

My main issue was the controls, they are infuriating at times and make pulling off the more precise actions a real pain in the arse feathers. It really did not matter if you knew how to do a puzzle, you were always at the mercy of the games clunky systems.

As a toy, as a fun sandbox I say it isn't really worth playing beyond the first area...honk.
  • Bichii 18 Oct 2019 16:58:07 2,041 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dark siders 3 on PS4..

Nice surprise, wasn't expecting much but the level design was superb. Terrible story but lots of fun and they've taken some elements from dark souls. Last couple of hours are pretty terrible but the dozen+ before were a lot of fun.

7.7/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Oct 2019 17:01:32 6,929 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @OllyJ See! Somebody else agrees with me on Untitled Goose Game! I'm not a soulless monster after all.
  • OllyJ 18 Oct 2019 20:57:40 4,615 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon ha! Glad we agree. You have also got me fully convinced I need The Surge 2, so... hopefully our tastes are similar.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Oct 2019 23:33:49 14,808 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now thereís 2 of them.
  • Tomo 19 Oct 2019 00:22:44 17,070 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Line 'em up.
  • Darth_Flibble 20 Oct 2019 16:22:24 3,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the night

Overall its a good game but the bosses are mostly cheap, its like the devs just rammed up their hit damage and thought "fuck it that will do" and went to get some deep fried pizza. They bosses are not difficult unless they get some damaging and lazy attacks in (like the bloodless one I'm trying to beat for a better ending which I might not bother). edit: tried again and flatten the bloodless boss this time

glad its gamepass game, as might be done with it and The outer worlds is out next friday

7/10

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 16:37:02 20-10-2019
  • [maven] 20 Oct 2019 16:44:40 5,648 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Manifold Garden (on Apple Arcade & Epic Store for Windows)

First person-puzzle game with periodic levels and a great low-fi (untextured) aesthetic. The puzzles are generally a mix of gravity and routing puzzles, combined with the periodicity of the levels.

Difficulty seems spot on.

9/10 (as a fan of these types of games)

Other games in a similar vein: Antichamber, QUBE, The Witness, ...

I'm missing two achievements though, so I wonder what I missed...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.