Recently Completed Games Page 598

Next Last
  • Tomo 2 Nov 2019 00:00:17 17,039 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hollow Knight - 10/10

I'd go as far as saying it's a top 20, possibly top 10 game ever. It's just endless in its depth. There is SO much to do and see, and it's all secretly hidden away in an amazing world. Every little nook and cranny has the potential to unlock another enormous area, or interesting little piece of art, or lore, or a new character. I can't think of another game that rewards obsessive exploration so well. And when you get stuck, you go and search out somewhere else, return 5 hours later and the game has passively taught you how to get past what you were stuck with. It's just so good. Can't wait for Silksong now.
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2019 11:29:19 24,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, HK is amazing. Also worth giving it credit for coming out of the gate at a really sensible RRP. Donít think Iíve ever gotten as much bang for my buck. Similarly excited for Silksong.
  • Tomo 2 Nov 2019 11:49:07 17,039 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's way underpriced tbf. I paid 6 quid ffs, lol. But they were wise I guess. New studio, crowded genre, etc. I'd be more than happy for pay full whack for Silksong. If Nintendo can charge 60 quid or whatever for a 20 year old Zelda game, HK is easily justifiable.
  • Kay 2 Nov 2019 12:00:39 20,281 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pretty amazing that it was all made by a tiny team of just three people(?). And yeah, the £11 RRP is just insane, especially since many indie games launch at double that price and still sell really well.
  • ChiefGB 2 Nov 2019 14:16:38 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got through the end of control (bar a few side quests).
    It turned into quite a chore over that last few hours forcing lengthy continual combat encounters, with crap like disappearing floors at the same time.
    And the story kind of shit the bed somewhat at the end but maybe I just took too long a break inbetween as it didnít make a lot of sense.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Nov 2019 09:51:08 15,547 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Outer Worlds

I enjoyed this a lot once I stopped running around like a lunatic with no skills. The gunplay was fun, but I'm a bigger of of how the usually secondary character skills influenced conversations and potential choices. The decisions really felt like they impacted the world (and this was reinforced by the summary at the end informing how the colony fared due to those choices).

My only two real negatives were that it was quite unstable for me, with quite common crashes (on Xbox 1 X) during combat and that I would have liked more discovery game play. The ending also came up a bit suddenly, but overall it was a cracking experience. I'd be happy to return to the world in the future to unravel some more of the remaining mysteries.

9/10
  • QBX 3 Nov 2019 17:13:07 84 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Minit (Game Pass)

Enjoyable for it's brief playtime - it can be completed in about an hour (if that) so doesn't outstay it's welcome. The monochrome 8-bit graphics and sounds are nice enough.

My main criticism is that returning to your home area doesn't reset your timer so you have to manually kill yourself which seems bit of an oversight. The NG+ (which reduces your time and hearts) highlights more of the games annoyances as you get caught on scenery and just how rubbish the combat is.

6/10
  • Malek86 3 Nov 2019 18:27:41 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The 13th Doll (PC)

Fan sequel to The 7th Guest, which somehow obtained semi-official status due to various reasons.

It's kinda scrappy (it was made on a tiny budget after all, the Kickstarter only got around $60k). But hey, they nailed almost everything about the original game. The acting is as bad as you'd expect, but seeing real actors juxtaposed on a pre-rendered background brings me back to the 90's. The puzzles are not as infuriating as the old ones, which is good. Took me around 12 hours to see all the endings.

Pretty good for fans of the original. Everyone else need not apply, since the game won't have much appeal unless you are really nostalgic. After all, you could find similar puzzles for free on any website or app. As a backer, I got the game for $15, around half the current asking price.

7/10

Edited by Malek86 at 18:28:44 03-11-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Nov 2019 20:44:16 3,728 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Afterparty

Enjoyed it but glad its a gamepass game as not sure if I would buy it. Its more of walk around with some dialogue choices with odd mini game (the drinking ones are quite difficult) The humour is generally quite funny, some times it misses but not often. On standard xbox it still has frame rate hic ups even after 2 patches. Worth playing if you have gamepass for xbox

8/10

Thomas was alone
    Quite short game which is a good thing, generally quite easy but odd difficulty spike, the "story" is pointless and its taken so serious. its nice simple puzzle game. its leaving gamepass soon and been meaning to play it

7/10
  • dominalien 7 Nov 2019 08:32:33 9,335 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Crossing Souls on the computer

It's surprisingly well designed. It mixes different gameplay styles to great effect. It gets really tricky towards the end, but it's always (well, almost) skill-based and it feels really good to beat seemingly insurmountable odds with practice and patience.

The story is pretty great, gets surprisingly dark in places. Some elements ghost village feel very rushed and shoddily put together, but overall it holds out very well. There are some animated sequences and these are very stylish and get '80s look spot on.

There are two negatives, but these are pretty bad.

First, the writing it terrible. It's like someone just wrote things as they went along and never bothered to do any editing. At the very start the game tells you it takes place "right at the beginning of 1986", only to have the main character tell you 20 seconds later "What a way to start the summer". The English version is awkward and clumsy, just as if they did a quick first translation draft and just used that. It's mostly serviceable, but that's about it.

Second, performance tanks really bad in places. It's butter-smooth sometimes, but whenever there's more than just a few moving pixels on the screen it goes down to below-20s, usually during boss fights or platforming sections. It's not game-breaking, but definitely makes the game harder than it needs to be. At one point at the very end it went down to single digits just because there was some static on the screen. My computer isn't great, but it handles things like the recent Tomb Raiders or Alien: Isolation well and this is just a pixel game.

Definitely worth playing, could have been so much better.

6/10
  • Mola_Ram 8 Nov 2019 10:44:57 21,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 (on Switch)

It was really good! I'm very happy that the developers are doing Baldur's Gate 3, it really couldn't be in better hands imo. The humour is there, the tactical depth is there, and there's a pleasing lack of fetch quests.

I think the game sagged a bit towards the end, and the choices I have got at the actual ending weren't all that satisfactory. But those are problems that affect a lot of RPGs, so I can't fault it too much for that.

I'd give it about an 8/10
  • SiroccoJetProp 9 Nov 2019 14:26:54 301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Outer Worlds

9/10

Other than the late game crash (for which there is a workaround) I thought it was excellent. Hopefully there will be some DLC in the future, I'm assuming it will be on those 3 planets that you can't visit on the map.
  • Malek86 9 Nov 2019 19:05:21 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pathologic HD (Steam)

There's a game that doesn't pull any punches. Even so, compared to its sequel, it is a bit easier to abuse. The first three days, when you need to understand how the town works and how the plague strikes, it's early hell. But after that, between save scumming, some basic understanding of the town's economy (aka: loot abandoned houses and trade loot for food), and quest rewards, I was already swimming in meat by the end of the fifth day.

That doesn't mean infected districts are a walk in the park. It's just that you can quicksave your way through. It gets tiring after a while. Also, most of the quests are fetch quests. At times it feels like a walking simulator (I specifically say "walking" simulator because there's no run button at all). Mind, with Kojima and Death Stranding, maybe walking simulators will get some more love now.

It's far more built around the story than the sequel: there's no random dice roll for plague victims, and no immunity element to consider. The plague only ever hits important NPCs when you fail story quests, or at specific plot points. And even then, they won't die until the end of the game, so you can always give them some antibiotics if you need to get orders for that day's quest.

After day 7, it was getting way too long. Still, I'm glad I finished it because I wanted to see the story from the Bachelor's perspective (P2 only lets you play as the Haruspex). The story isn't exactly the same between the two games, but close enough.

7/10

Edited by Malek86 at 19:08:08 09-11-2019
  • uiruki 10 Nov 2019 10:28:50 4,981 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    29. The Surge 2 - PC - 4/5

Good fun action RPG once it gets going. I really liked the directional parry system, the way you upgrade stuff by targetting that part of enemies and the little things like being able to bank your currency at rest points. Some of the level design is nice and clever too, like the seemingly expanding 'main area' which you finally fully unlock and actually realise, hang on - it's not that big at all. Gideon's Rock was another highlight, a proper romp through three distinct paths towards a big boss. I also liked the world building, though I am a bit of a sucer for fake companies in the games.

Story was a bit of a letdown which seemed odd, given how much effort that they'd put into the world building. I think they went for the kind of environmental storytelling that From's games are known for but I don't think they quite managed it. Didn't help that I didn't really like any of the characters. Also the thousands separator in English is a comma not a full stop god dammit!!!!

Either way, given Deck13's consistent improvement with every game, I'm going to go in day 1 with their next one. Punching heads and arms off is too much fun not to! Also a good first run out for my new Xbox Elite controller as the paddles felt ideal for running and jumping.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 11 Nov 2019 11:20:34 505 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mutant Year Zero:Road to Eden (XB Game Pass on PC): Took me a while to warm up to this. Played it on EGS (it was free), abandoned it twice, then discovered about XB Game Pass on PC and started playing it there. There must be something true about enjoying games more if you pay for them.
    Anyway, it's a turn based strategy set in a post-apocalyptic world and you control mutants (duh). Following a certain strategy in all battles makes it much easier to win, other than that I enjoyed the setting, the characters and gameplay. The story I found unusually interesting for a video game although the ending twist could be seen miles ahead.... 9/10
  • ghearoid 12 Nov 2019 17:10:00 3,246 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Breath of the Wild Master Mode - my second playthrough after completing the normal mode two years ago. Awesome game. I've never been a Zelda fan but this has become one of my favourite games ever. 10/10
  • HookJaw 12 Nov 2019 17:36:47 2 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    The Evil Within - PS4
    Holy fuck, this game is utterly insane! It has actually taken me three years to complete it, purely due to rage-uninstalling it when I encountered a certain insta-death boss who merely kills you upon touching you.

The level design is sublime, the graphics are great and the combat feels suitably meaty once you begin to level up your arsenal.

Hopefully, the series is given another chance after the lackluster sales figures of EW2; I'd love to see more of this twisted nightmare.

9/10
  • JoelStinty 16 Nov 2019 21:09:48 8,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spiderman

Really good. Insomniac have nailed this pretty much on their first try - ok there is a fair bit they could improve but as for first tries I feel like I am just nitpicking.

Most importantly theyíve captured Spider-Manís character whilst also being their own creation; itís fair to say this is Insomniac Peter Parker and Spiderman controls and plays brilliantly. Combat is fun, sprightly and crunchy, swinging is mostly great; itís intuitive and parkouring around New York is good- there are a few moments where it doesnít quite work and goes a bit wonky but theyíre rare.

The main narrative is compelling, the superhero stuff can be a bit take it or leave it but it excels when the game focuses in on peter Parker, MJ, May and others. This is a game as much as helping people when youíre out of the suit as when you are in it. Superhero wise itís kind of throwaway, it has its moments but feels a bit clobbered together at times and doesnít make the most of its ideas, thankfully most of the missions are fun , theyíre a real spectacle at times and you really feel like you in a motion picture, whilst playing a game and not just being taken for a ride; they built the cinematics around your inputs rather than the other way round, the camera responds to your actions (even if they are scripted) itís clever.

There is probably a few too many stealth segments - which are fine for the first couple of times but after a few more they sag a little bit. Open world stuff is ok. Probably too much of it, but they open up Spiderman skill set but side missions are average too. But I donít think the game is really concerned with that stuff. It just wants you to play the main story. It does an excellent job of bunching missions together so you get the most out of the narrative.
    It will encourage you to either carry on with the next mission or let you have a breather and do some side stuff. Itís well designed.

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 07:50:02 17-11-2019
  • Tomo 17 Nov 2019 01:22:08 17,039 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    The Evil Within - PS4
    Holy fuck, this game is utterly insane! It has actually taken me three years to complete it, purely due to rage-uninstalling it when I encountered a certain insta-death boss who merely kills you upon touching you.

The level design is sublime, the graphics are great and the combat feels suitably meaty once you begin to level up your arsenal.

Hopefully, the series is given another chance after the lackluster sales figures of EW2; I'd love to see more of this twisted nightmare.

9/10
    Correct - superb game. I need to finish EW2. It's on the backburner, but was good fun.
  • Tomo 17 Nov 2019 01:24:30 17,039 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Until Dawn - 8/10

Loved this. Decent story, lots of likeable characters and a fairly terrifying atmosphere throughout made for a thoroughly enjoyable romp. Managed to save half of the kids. A couple of deaths I felt very bad about, but was pretty funny in hindsight.
  • OllyJ 20 Nov 2019 10:17:52 4,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey 9/10

I'm not a massive fan of open worlders, as I often get "choice paralysis" after every mission, especially in a GTA or a RDR. I often find there's too much back and forth, too many things to decide on doing.

I honestly don't know how AC did it, because it's loaded with far too many things, but I never felt that even once. I just played it, and whatever I stumbled across I did there and then, or if I wanted to advance the story I'd track a quest. It felt effortless to play.

Story wise...yeah it's ok. Like any game of this size, the conflicting storylines and arcs end up making everything a bit muddy, I couldn't really tell you what was going on all that well, something about family...but it was well written if not a bit flippin sweary. Also, they did a poor job of giving you a solid enemy, I never really knew what side I was on.

It looks absolutely stunning, the world is so varied and the day and night cycles, weather, and expansive waters offer so many sights, I really feel like it's been an epic journey. (Praise for the fast travel and also the option to have your horse auto ride to a map marker).

Now the negative, and it's a big negative. The "non stealth" combat is just screwed because of how the enemies level with you. It's really hard to explain, but it feels like the game isn't very difficult at all, enemies attack in very obvious ways, and the parry window is easily 2 seconds wide.

Now, on top of this, enemies take about a good 20-30 slashes of a blade, especially mercenaries of which you will be fighting plenty. So you end up just wailing toe to toe for what seems like a comedic length of time. Even at level 40, with legendary everything, and being a full on auto poison bastard, I never ever felt powerful.

In Dark souls you can level ahead of the curve, in ACO the whole game is always right by your side, it never feels like you actually level up, you never have that moment of feeling like a badass Spartan.

I tried making the levelling lighter but it made no difference, the only thing I could do further would be to lower it to easy mode, but the enemies are already very easy...I just want to bring the time to kill right down. Maybe I just shouldn't get spotted as often.

But...I still enjoyed it more than any open world I've played since Skyrim, I'll easily sink another 20-30 hours in as well.

Edited by OllyJ at 10:19:37 20-11-2019
  • Samildanach 20 Nov 2019 11:37:47 145 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Assassin's Creed Rogue

Gradually working my way the the series and I am finding I have reached the point that many others have reached, where you start getting a bit ACreed burnout. Or perhaps I have not really been taken by the two ship based games (this and AC4). It was alright, but offered little that felt new, other than the stalkers enemy which got old quickly. The AC games' story seem to have devolved to a point where I feel the plot and characters are too desperately based on historical events and real characters, so that you flit from one event and IMPORTANT HISTORICAL PERSON to the next, without really taking the time to expand upon it/them. The templar/assassin's conflict is then very awkwardly shoehorned into these events, diluting the depth of the story even further.
    I vaguely preferred this one to AC4 as it had 3 different maps rather than one samey big one to explore, and going after your assassin ex-friends one by one was fun; but it will be quite a while before I start Unity (though I will eventually).
    I am looking forward to Origins and Odyssey as they sound like the breath of fresh air this series needs, only two more to go before I get there!
  • OllyJ 20 Nov 2019 12:04:59 4,602 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Samildanach Yeah I gave up around AC4, and jumped back in with Origins and it was really good.

Despite my combat gripes with Odyssey (the combat is still really good and feels nice, just the sword sponge enemies get a tad tedious in high numbers) it's just a fantastic game that I've been glued to.

I probably wouldn't want to play it straight after Origins though, I'd give yourself a 6 month break at least.
  • Samildanach 20 Nov 2019 12:27:24 145 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @OllyJ
    Oh yeah, a sensible person would not bother with Unity and Syndicate and jump straight to Origins. Sadly I am lacking in a lot of common sense and will proceed to dredge my way through the entire series like a fool. I have missed out AC Liberation, so there is that.
  • Trowel 20 Nov 2019 12:28:03 22,730 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pony Island

...err... o_O
  • dominalien 22 Nov 2019 10:27:35 9,335 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Corpse Party: Book of Shadows on PS Vita

Follow up to Corpse Party, which is excellent. This isn't.

It's interesting, but a terrible slog at the same time.

It keeps the visual novel parts and makes them drag interminably, mostly because a large part of this is basically the same story as the previous game, with some variation (as far as I can remember, I played the previous one years ago). The game strongly hints it's a time loop, with characters going through the same situations faintly remembering what happened before. There are some new stories, but these, while mostly interesting, just go on forever. A couple are really good, but it's a lot of work to get to them.

The game is more splatterpunk than horror, it revels in its blood and entrails, but isn't really much more than unsettling. It's also very reserved graphically. You'll get the occasional picture of a girl with her head bashed in, but mostly all the violence is simply described, more often than not on a black screen. Lots of pantsu shots, too, usually not very sexy. Sound is something else, though, worth playing through with headphones all the way.

The first game's exploration part gets mangled beyond recognition into an overhead map where you move from room to room, each of these a static screen in first person view, which you can usually scroll in all directions. They are practically identical (classroom, corridor, ad nauseam) and you have to scour each with the cursor for hotspots. It's awful. It takes forever, the game makes you walk through the same corridors and rooms over and over again, and while they do change, it's all cosmetic and you have to go everywhere every time so you find all the items and clues.

There's also a stupid Darkening mechanic, which makes a meter rise every time you click on something scary, like a dead body. If you click on one dead body 50 times, the meter will rise 2% every time and you'll get a game over. Some of these are unavoidable and if you clicked too much, the game will end during a non-interactive segment because you just saw a ghost or something and Darkening rose to 100%. Other times, Darkening doesn't rise at all and you can click on everything as you wish. I ended up saving in every room, clicking on everything and then loading up the save to only click on what I needed to.

All this boredom is made almost worthwhile in the epilogue, which sets the stage for the next game, Blood Drive, and is a lot of fun for a change.

There's no point playing this if you haven't played Corpse Party, as it doesn't tell a coherent story and it'll make no sense whatsoever. I'm not sorry I got through it, but I was sorry as I was playing and was just waiting for it to end.

Phew, that's a lot of text for a poor game.

5/10

Edited by dominalien at 10:29:13 22-11-2019
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.