Following Recently Completed Games Page 603

• JamboWayOh 29 Dec 2019 23:44:45 19,315 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm actually intrigued in a very morbid way to see how Starfield will actually turn out. More so because I read that the state of Fallout 76 has had an adverse effect on Starfield development due to them moving devs off the project. This will obviously have a massive effect on TES development. Hopefully it forces them to get their shit together.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Dec 2019 23:47:08 13,539 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I only ever encountered one real big glitch in Skyrim on the 360 and that was entering the plain Whiterun sits on from the north was a guaranteed hard crash every time so you had to fast travel or head south west then loop back and cross the plain that way
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2019 00:06:54 15,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Googled it and yes, it seems that Bethesda is still using the engine for Starfield and TES6.

When a spacecraft falls into a black hole, to outside observers it will look like time is slowing down to a halt on it while its crew will notice no such thing. I think this is the physical explanation of what's going on at Bethesda.

Fallout 4 showed that they can still be good at some stuff that made them great many years before, but it also showed that they're living in a cave completely oblivious to anything going on outside.

They didn't notice that the standards for storytelling had shifted, the standards for character writing, for voice acting etc. They just kept doing their thing as if nothing had happened.

If it's true that they're actually sticking to their prehistoric engine, I'm losing my last hope in their willingness to arrive in the present in general.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Dec 2019 00:21:01 23,696 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As far as storytelling and character writing and such goes, Fallout: New Vegas is what they should have taken their cue from.

I understand (yet still disagree with) the point that you can't really compare their games to, say, Witcher 3, because W3 isn't really a sandbox, has a clearly defined main character etc. But New Vegas was done with their engine, was brilliant, and they took nothing from it.
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2019 00:31:21 15,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't say anything about NV really, because I was late to the game and when I tried it it felt awfully dated and clunky, so I abandoned it quickly.

If Skyrim vs. Fallout 4 is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised though. Skyrim didn't have a hugely engaging story, but it was way above that of Fallout 4. Fallout 4 was like "your child's gone missing, but blah who cares build a base and craft stuff!". It's like they tried to add drama with your abducted child but seriouly it's so irrelevant you wonder if they cared about it themselves at all.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:38:41 30-12-2019
  • Mola_Ram 30 Dec 2019 00:55:23 23,696 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New Vegas had a massively complex system of factions and interactions between those factions. Each decision affected your relationship with them, which could ebb and flow in nuanced ways as the story played out over the course of the game. I think a large part of the game's famed bugginess was down to just how ambitious that system was.

In F4, you choose a faction and it makes basically no difference at all.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:17:51 30-12-2019
  • JamboWayOh 30 Dec 2019 01:35:37 19,315 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Your settlement is under attack but it really doesn't fucking matter"
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Dec 2019 08:59:11 4,241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    NV is the best fallout game in ages and I think bethesda are pissed off about that. Obsidian where given a short time and buggy engine (iirc it was not the final patched fallout 3 one) The faction system was really good and so much then F4 one and also you could wear faction armour and it would help you blend in at a distance. In F4 , you are the messiah to all factions after one mission and work for all of them at the same time.

Also Bethesda are gutting RPG mechanics to make it appeal to the gamer that just wants to shot things and their brain hurts when they see stat screens (I know someone like this and he hates stats, speech checks but wants all these games to made for him to the point is just another shooter (or shoota as he calls it) When I see him I often remind him about X-com games as he really fucking hates them games as they are turned based strategy and he just wants it to be an "shoota"

With the multi player work they did for F76, you cna bet thats going to be in starfield and TES as companies don't do all these work for one game. The awful repeatable quests from skyrim turned up in f4, base building was in f76

I hope we are all wrong about the next Bethesda games but you know the games are going to be broken, the character models are going to look rough and not at all "current gen" for the time. Obsidian made TOW on a budget and whiles its not perfect, its a better RPG than fallout 4 is (F76 is not even a RPG is the The Hills have eyes inbred redneck step-child of gaming) :D
  • evild_edd 30 Dec 2019 11:51:55 4,232 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find it curious how much debate, hope and despair that TES inspires.

From my experience (having tried and bounced off Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim), it's clear that TES are just not very good games. That's evidenced by the fact that Morrowind is held up as the shining highlight of the series. It was underwhelming and embarrassingly wooden at release.

Several games later, and the creaking engine lumbers on. An embarrassment. The developers either don't care or are incapable of advancing not just their engine, but their gameplay mechanics, script writing, and world building.

Every title is a joyless trudge of auto-levelling enemies, dull combat, naff dialogue, laughable character designs, and boring fetch quests.

I hand-on-heart believe that the loyalty for this series is akin to Stockholm syndrome - after all those hundreds of hours 'invested' across multiple titles, the loyalists just don't want to admit that the series has always been a bit shit.

TLDR. Basically I'm saying 'each to their own' ;0)
  • Mola_Ram 30 Dec 2019 12:58:53 23,696 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like their worlds just fine. The problem (well, one of them) is that they're inhabited by personality-free androids with lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes.

And that might have been fine when they were the only game in town. This was arguably the case right up until Skyrim, and even beyond, where they were providing an experience that you just couldn't get anywhere else. But they have competition now, and they're really fucking far behind. Complacency is a bitch.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Dec 2019 13:47:07 15,796 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pokemon Sword

Just finished the main story and have about 250 out of 400? Pokemon. (So will still be playing quite a bit. Although mainly in the top left corner of the wild area based on the Pokedex known habitats of almost everything I missed).

Apart from Let's Go Eevee this is the first Pokemon game I have played since I abandoned Gen 4 near the beginning. Loved the first 3 generations, especially Silver, but never felt the need to return to the series as I thought I had missed too much and the games all seemed generally the same. (Main reason I quit 4).

I was struggling to think of Christmas presents and figured I would try Pokemon again. It also meant there would be a slight surprise as I did not know which version my wife would buy.

The lack of the National Dex was actually a big plus point for me as it eased the feeling I was missing out. Having not played the recent games there were lots of new Pokemon for me which was really nice.

To be honest I still thought there were too many of the originals but I am glad they removed trash cutesy Pokemon like maril and plusie from the later gens. There were also some nice cute looking Pokemon that were actually pretty good.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and liked that the structure had changed from the first few games. There were a lot of archaic design decisions though (which to be fair is true of other 20+ year series's too). More than once I found myself confused as to why they did something when something else seemed like an obvious way of doing it better.

It is a really difficult game to put a score. Enjoyment wise it was a 9 and made me feel like a kid again. In terms of fulfilling its potential though it is merely a 5, functionally fine but missed so many open goals it could have used to improve itself.

So 7/10.
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Dec 2019 16:33:35 4,241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Days Gone

I didn't play it at launch as I heard it was very buggy and the FR performance could be bad. Its been patched and added new modes. I really enjoyed the game, was surprised how the 3 main characters are lot better than the review sites tried to paint them as shitty characters. Even some of the side characters such as Iron mike and Rikki are strong characters.

Taking on the horde is really tense and 1 fuck up means you will get ripped apart. I did like finding about the virus backstory and its not quite the usually zombie virus as these freaks are actually alive and not dead and evolving still

I get the impression it was the studios first big game and not as polished compared to other 1st/2nd party titles

9/10
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2019 16:52:08 17,697 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    I find it curious how much debate, hope and despair that TES inspires.

From my experience (having tried and bounced off Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim), it's clear that TES are just not very good games. That's evidenced by the fact that Morrowind is held up as the shining highlight of the series. It was underwhelming and embarrassingly wooden at release.

Several games later, and the creaking engine lumbers on. An embarrassment. The developers either don't care or are incapable of advancing not just their engine, but their gameplay mechanics, script writing, and world building.

Every title is a joyless trudge of auto-levelling enemies, dull combat, naff dialogue, laughable character designs, and boring fetch quests.

I hand-on-heart believe that the loyalty for this series is akin to Stockholm syndrome - after all those hundreds of hours 'invested' across multiple titles, the loyalists just don't want to admit that the series has always been a bit shit.

TLDR. Basically I'm saying 'each to their own' ;0)
    Yeah I agree with a lot of this. They are so popular because the worlds are beautiful and expansive. If you can stomach the bland gameplay, then you're in for a blast. Which many people seem to be fine with.

I'd rather they shrunk the world by half and focussed more on the story and quests with TES6. But it'll never happen. They do need to up their game severely though. Witcher 3 absolutely wiped the floor with Skyrim.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Dec 2019 16:57:30 15,796 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I initially bounced off all of those 3 too. However I did get into Oblivion a few years after it came out and fully completed it.

Tried Skyrim 3 or 4 times and it has never properly clicked. (Did finish the werewolf quest line last tome I tried though). Main issue with it is that I have also played Witcher 3 which also eclipsed TES entirely for me.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 16:58:15 30-12-2019
  • DrStrangelove 30 Dec 2019 17:08:28 15,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @evild_edd

I'm not a fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, and not a great fan of Fallout 4 either, but Skyrim is easily one of the best games of all time. It's got a lot of flaws, but the atmosphere and interactivity and freedom is just amazing.

What I really like about Bethesda games is exploration, interactivity and freedom, where you can be whoever you want and do whatever you want, you can interact with everything and everything interacts with everything else. I also love how every object is an actual physical object. In other games, a shelf is just a container which will reveal its contents in a menu when you click on it. In Skyrim, everything in the shelf is an actual physical object like in reality that can be thrown around or fusrodah'd or whatever.

It also doesn't spam you with randomly generated citizens, every civilian in Skyrim is actually a unique person with a name, a home, an occupation etc. There's no "old woman" or "beggar" randomly spammed into existence wherever you go.

This is hugely ambitious, and in defence of the engine, it made that possible even on an XBox 360, while other devs don't do that even on current gen hardware. You might say, who cares, but it's pretty simple: one developer crafts detailed interactive world, the others don't even try. Because they can't or because they don't give a shit, I don't know. Fact is, they let Bethesda do that.

As for combat, yeah by action game standards that's pretty rough. However RPG's have a habit of dreadful combat, and by those standards Skyrim does pretty well actually. There's still much room for improvement, but by RPG standards Skyrim and Fallout 4 combat is relatively good.

Characters and dialogue, yeah that's bad. No denying that. Story was ok in Skyrim but not in Fallout 4, they really must do something about that.

But still, let's be honest, even if they'll still use this engine for their next games, it's still going to be more entertaining than the vast majority of other games. There are so many AAA games out there with great engines and technically accomplished etc., like GTA or Assassin's Creed, yet most of them are offensively dull borefests so all the technical accomplishment is wasted for nothing.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:13:02 30-12-2019
  • Dombat 30 Dec 2019 22:32:30 1,749 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skyrim is the only Bethesda open world game Iíve really clicked with. Their usual flaws are still there but I love the world and its atmosphere and the good stuff was just about enough for me overlook the poor animations and dull dialogue.

Hated what I played of Oblivion. Fallout 3 is ok but i didnít love it. Skyrim then raised my expectations and Fallout 4 was a complete disappointment.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Dec 2019 22:43:03 32,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Morrowind is amazing you fucking weirdos.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2019 00:13:55 13,539 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Morrowind never clicked for me but I played through Oblivion several times and using a single character probably put as much if not more time into Skyrim.

It was the exploration which pushed me on in each of them. Which is something that Fallout could never offer and which is also now something which isn't enough alone.

Skyrim is remarkable that it still holds up so well after about a decade but it's all in the environment. The story is fine, the quests engaging enough, the combat functional but post-Dark Souls and Witcher 3 I think you need more. Either in mechanics or storytelling.

Although interesting Bioware have gone to shit on both and their newer games are blander and less well regarded than when they really put it all in.

Bethesda would do well to heed the warning.
  • JamboWayOh 31 Dec 2019 00:23:43 19,315 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Obviously they haven't if Fallout 76 is anything to go by.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2019 00:28:22 13,539 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And to think horse armour was once gaming's biggest crime
  • QBX 31 Dec 2019 00:51:43 165 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tomb Raider Reboot (Game Pass)

I didn't like this.

The cinematic/action direction they were going with became repetitive and eventually wore off around halfway through when it went full Michael Bay. Without that what your left with is a generic (albeit pretty) third person shooter that lacks what made the original games so great.

The few challenge tombs there are are fairly straightforward and lack any sense of scale or actual challenge. Exploration is relegated to collectible hunting and the survival mechanics have nothing to them. They still insist on putting in combat.

I get this is the first of a series but it's the lack of any variety throughout that kills it for me.

4/10
  • monsieur-Cosmo 31 Dec 2019 08:15:27 592 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @QBX I quite enjoyed TRR, ONCE I got used to it. Early on I was shocked by the violence and gore, but later I said to myself "hey, what can you do it's the new Lara". I am actually replaying it now. Also enjoyed the second one (Rise of TR) which is even more action-y.
    /shrug
  • AddyB- 31 Dec 2019 08:34:32 701 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I did miss the tombs of the original games but my god I don't miss the awful controls.
  • QBX 31 Dec 2019 11:34:01 165 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tank controls are a part of the whole experience ;-)

I suspect it's a game I'll look back on more fondly in the future but for now though it didn't click. Aside from how much it deviates from the original games I don't think it hides it's gameplay loop particularly well and the cinematic effect only makes it more obvious.

I skipped to Shadow of TR and even within the first few hours the contrast is night and day. Foraging FTW!

Edited by QBX at 11:42:49 31-12-2019
  • Malek86 31 Dec 2019 12:18:09 10,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ROTR was an improvement in gameplay for sure, but the story and dialogue was possibly even worse.

I tried SOTR too, and while the gameplay was overall similar to the previous one, at that point the dialogue was so bad that I just gave up after a while.

Normally things are supposed to improve with time and feedback. I'm impressed that they managed to make it worse with every subsequent game.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Dec 2019 12:49:02 15,796 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was on track for 100% on RotTR and had a tomb puzzle glitch on me. Didnít play SotTR because of it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Dec 2019 12:51:45 8,694 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch SotTR also has a notoriously glitchy puzzle, around the game's half-way point. Brickwalled on it for hours thinking I must be missing something until google finally revealed that the puzzle can glitch into an unsolvable state from the outset and that reloading from checkpoint doesn't fix it.

Fortunately, I had a manual save about 30 minutes further back that I could regress to. Even then, it glitched on me again when I got back to the puzzle. Third time was the charm and I was eventually able to get past it. Fucking miserable experience, in the middle of what was otherwise a sort-of quite-good game.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Dec 2019 12:54:18 15,796 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That is what happened to me on Rise. It was a puzzle with 2 mine carts going down ramps.
  • creepiest-lizard 31 Dec 2019 12:54:39 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having finished everything in my backlog I had a slight momment of madness and bought both The surge 2 and Days gone on PSN for the princely sum of 50 quid, which I didn't think was too severe. Which to play first though..
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Dec 2019 13:10:14 8,694 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard The Surge 2 is excellent - my GOTY. That said, I played it on PC and I know some people were reporting technical issues (particularly texture pop-in) on the PS4 version. Might have been patched by now, though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.