Following Recently Completed Games Page 604

• simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2019 13:13:41 13,540 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Having finished everything in my backlog...
    The impossible dream
  • creepiest-lizard 31 Dec 2019 13:14:44 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    I do remember the issues being mentioned when it came out but after seeing a couple of reviews (including a jim sterling video) it didn't seem to be a game breaking issue.
    I've been following The surge 2 thread and it does seems very good. In fact I don't think I've read anything negative about it at all really
  • creepiest-lizard 31 Dec 2019 13:16:06 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe
    Ha, yeah. I'm choosing not to look too closely at my library. I'm sure theres something lurking..
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Dec 2019 13:22:36 8,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No, I can't really think of a single criticism. It's on the smaller side, by the standards of the genre, but that's not really a flaw.

It's funny looking at EG's "Games of the Year" pieces on the front page that these days they don't tend to look at anything between "AAA" and "art-house indie". Despite having a regular feature on AA games from past generations, amazingly good present-day AA titles like The Surge 2 might as well not exist as far as the EG staff are concerned.
  • creepiest-lizard 31 Dec 2019 13:27:50 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I suppose A plague tale is the only one I can think of that might pop up in a few lists. My game of the year, incidentally
  • Phattso 31 Dec 2019 13:30:30 25,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rogueywon Astral Chain is in there. Almost a dictionary definition of AA, no?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2019 13:43:32 13,540 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard mine isn't a super long list of titles at the moment but with Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Torment in amongst it there's probably a year's worth of playing
  • creepiest-lizard 31 Dec 2019 14:04:32 1,340 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe
    Yeah, you've got a fair amount of hours in there. 200 odd hours probably, if not more. Mine was massive but it mostly consisted of indie titles that were pretty quick to finish. Virginia, What became of edith Finch, Sole survivor, The missing, The swapper, things like that. I don't even remember buying half of them. I assume it was when I got home from the pub or something
  • JoelStinty 31 Dec 2019 19:27:36 8,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Luigiís Mansion 3

Time: 15-20 hours

A fine game that is hamstrung by a couple of glaring issues that stop it being an all time great game. You play as Luigi (duh) and explore a hotel in search of your holiday pals as king Boo captures them within paintings. You and trusty hoover (which can blow, suck and reveal hidden things) go round cleaning the hotel whilst sucking up ghosts and poking around the hotel. The pleasure of Luigi mansion games is that they are incredibly tactile. Tearing down Peeling wallpaper, or pullings rugs and curtains is a genuine delight, all delivered with aardman attention to detail and a nice weight to your actions (though I thought dark moon (lm2) did a better job at it - though that maybe down to experiencing it for the first time). Levels are varied and fun, and the gameplay is broken up with your partner in slime - Gooigi - a jelly version of yourself which enables you to solve puzzles that require changing between the two.

The game doesnít control that well - mainly in the aiming of your hoover. It isnít generally problematic as the action and gameplay is pretty slow, but it does present an issue in a
    couple of boss battles that become infuriating because of it . One boss really soured me on the game at one point, which comes as the game begins to sag - but thankfully it recovers and some of the best stuff comes hereafter. Itís a minor but noticeable blip.

Sound and graphics are lovely. Game is well worth a play

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 20:54:40 31-12-2019
  • Samildanach 31 Dec 2019 20:09:17 310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Final Fantasy X Remastered

I played this through twice back in the day when it first released and got suckered into buying the remaster like the chump I am. Anyway, it holds up surprisingly well given its age, in fact, it shows how Square have lost the ability to tell a good story with characters you enjoy your time with (i'm looking at you FFXIII).The remastered graphics are decent, it was nice to have an alternative soundtrack as well as the original and the battle system is well designed to keep me engaged. I almost gave up at the Calm Lands as it is such a shit area, but pushed through and surprised myself in not having a too horrible time with the tough end game story bosses. To top it off, it has perhaps one of gaming's finest endings ever created. What a shame they couldn't leave it at that and splurged out increasingly worse dross over the years to follow it. The crap mini games and ridiculous superbosses can go bugger themselves though; I'm not dodging 200 consecutive lightning strikes again that's for sure!

4/5
  • Ror 4 Jan 2020 18:02:59 20,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Bit late to this one - I had played about five or six hours closer to launch, but was a bit burned out as I'd played four AC games in the months leading up to Syndicate's release. I really want to get around to Odyssey at some point (and I'd like to be ready for this year's Viking outing), so thought I had better get caught up.

I really liked the twins. Jacob is a bit of a goon, but a likeable one, and Evie was pretty engaging. Unfortunately, she gets short shrift in the campaign, with a few of her main missions consisting of her going to clear up the mess Jacob made in his prior segment.

London was the big draw for me, and despite its relative age and fairly low resolution (900p on a big 4K screen isn't the best), it still managed to look really good. Loads of SSR in those puddles on the rainy streets helped. But I think Unity's Paris is a better video game city. That game felt more alive, more like a place. There are less NPCs in the streets here, less open buildings, and while the rope launcher is really useful, it does mean you spend a lot more time than usual only seeing rooftops. Still, I could climb up St Paul's and jump off the Houses of Parliament, so that's a plus.

The story also felt a bit short (despite it taking me ~36 hours, with very little side content other than liberating the boroughs), and ended up feeling a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, though that's a trait it shares with the two prior games as well, so I won't ding it too much for that. It also managed to feel a bit disjointed, probably from having to switch between the two leads frequently, and it didn't really feel like the Templars got much of a chance to shine, as they're introduced and dispatched in pretty short order.

It's a good thing it has a pair of entertaining leads and some genuinely excellent missions (especially the final one), but it's left me really hoping that Oranges has completely revamped the controls to play like, well, any other third-person action-adventure game.

All of which sounds quite negative, but I did enjoy my time with it. It just feels like there's a fair few missed opportunities in there.

Onwards, and hopefully upwards, to Origins.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Jan 2020 19:07:28 25,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ror
    I'm sure Origins (brilliant game) and the Odyssey will be exactly what you are after mate.
    Just be warned Odyssey is stupidly BIG with a LOT of grinding. I'm yet to get anywhere near all the dlc that came with the Gold edition.

I'm still playing it, to be honest I'm thinking of sacking it off. I'm lvl 42 I think have 22 (again I think) shards still to to find. I have loads of things still to do and islands I have yet to set foot on. Ubi definitely want your additional money on this, by the way of shortcuts.

I have loved my time with it and Kassie is one of the great AC protagonists, but as I say I'm somewhat burned out by it!
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Jan 2020 20:00:45 15,796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ori and the Blind Forest

This is an odd game for me as I expected to love it. Ori is a Metroidvania which is one of my favourite genres and it has a great art style.

Ori is also one of the most inventive games I have played from a traversal perspective. For instance there is a move where you propel yourself forward by firing an enemy backwards.

I certainly did not dislike it but I find it interesting why it did not quite click.

The main issue is that I do not find the moment to moment gameplay that much fun. Sure it is different but it can be infuriating if the enemy you want to boost off refuses to get into position and shooting at an enemy is just getting physically close and firing.

And secondary is the exploration and secrets. Even though the world is lovely I have not found it particularly rememberable.

Other Metrovanias put obvious block points in the natural path which makes you remember them and it is fun to return and open the path. Oriís blocks are always on the auxiliaries of the map and are used to hide permanent power ups or routes to new sections.

It is very rare you will unlock short cuts that will make overall traversal easier. There are shortcuts within locations but none that link locations to each other in interesting ways.

7/10
  • Devilligan 4 Jan 2020 20:13:50 636 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Ror

I'm playing Origins at the moment and it's a huge leap on from Syndicate. Huge map and loads of engaging missions. Loving it.
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jan 2020 20:28:30 649 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Banner Saga 1 & 2

Started 1 about a year ago but competitive online games like Rocket league pulled me away. Started back up after picking up the rest of the trilogy in the sale and I've not regretted a minute. If you aren't a strategy nut I would advise playing on easy to enjoy the story and decision making. About half way through 3 and I can't wait to get back to it.

9/10
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Jan 2020 20:30:05 15,796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty much played the first Banner Saga all day today. Wish I had picked up the others in the sale.
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jan 2020 20:35:48 649 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sayonara Wild Hearts

This Is a weird one. I'll bet a great many folk just wont get on with it. For the first 15 minutes I wondered if I would...then bam!! you are humming along to the music, collecting hearts, bashing up your musical foes and searching streaming services for the soundtrack. An hour or two later you are done but you immediately do it all again.... and again! I've squeezed over 5 hours out of it and I'm sure I'll replay it over the years. There's nothing special about any of its parts (maybe the soundtrack) but as a whole it's one of those games that just feels fresh, feels right and reminds you why you love games

10/10

Edited by Steifybobbins at 20:36:29 05-01-2020
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jan 2020 20:37:14 649 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch I made the same mistake when I picked up the first too... good isnt it?
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Jan 2020 20:40:26 15,796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really good. Think I am near the end of the third chapter.
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jan 2020 20:55:33 649 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Really good. Think I am near the end of the third chapter.
    Last time I left a game as good for so long was Uncharted. Think it was PES or Fifa i couldn't stop playing back then
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jan 2020 21:00:00 649 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gris

Another short one. A little light on gameplay most of which is light puzzling and platforming. also light on hours to completion at around 3-5 hours but that feels about right. it really is beautiful and really quite heartbreaking. Very much a worthwhile "experience" for the right price

8/10

Edited by Steifybobbins at 21:02:20 05-01-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Jan 2020 21:18:42 15,796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you finished 4 games today?
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jan 2020 21:23:18 649 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Have you finished 4 games today?
    Since Christmas eve just decided to post them because they deserve our cash.
  • Ror 6 Jan 2020 15:30:03 20,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Ror
    I'm sure Origins (brilliant game) and the Odyssey will be exactly what you are after mate.
    Just be warned Odyssey is stupidly BIG with a LOT of grinding. I'm yet to get anywhere near all the dlc that came with the Gold edition.

I'm still playing it, to be honest I'm thinking of sacking it off. I'm lvl 42 I think have 22 (again I think) shards still to to find. I have loads of things still to do and islands I have yet to set foot on. Ubi definitely want your additional money on this, by the way of shortcuts.

I have loved my time with it and Kassie is one of the great AC protagonists, but as I say I'm somewhat burned out by it!
    Devilligan wrote:
    @Ror

I'm playing Origins at the moment and it's a huge leap on from Syndicate. Huge map and loads of engaging missions. Loving it.
    Cheers to you both. I'm a few hours into Oranges now and really enjoying it. Still feels like an AC game in a lot of ways, but greatly freshened up.

I have already noticed the stringing out of the main quest though (offed Medunamun at Lv5 and my next quest is Lv10), but I'm enjoying going to a new area and exploring/sidequesting atm, so hopefully I continue to do so.

I actually played a few hours of it on XBO last year, but just couldn't get into it at the time. I think I'm more in the mood for it now, and I got the Gold Editions of both Origins and Odyssey in the recent Epic sale, so I have a lot to get through! Will probably play something else after Origins to have a bit of a palate cleanser.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Jan 2020 21:40:55 4,241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I have already noticed the stringing out of the main quest though (offed Medunamun at Lv5 and my next quest is Lv10), but I'm enjoying going to a new area and exploring/sidequesting atm, so hopefully I continue to do so.
    They do that in Odyssey as well and didn't like in Oranges. I can't remember if Oranges sells XP boosters but Odyssey does and its shitty. They added a grind then had a way of paying to get around it. Odyssey has slightly better side quests overall but I hated the grinding of levels
  • Nanocrystal 7 Jan 2020 23:29:18 2,080 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mopping up the last few trophies in God of War.

Cracking game, and surprisingly good combat, if not quite as enjoyable as From's games. Although I completed the vast majority of the game on Give Me a Challenge, I have to admit I turned it down to the easiest setting to tackle the Valkyries and only just managed to beat the last one with maxed out weapons, armor and stats. She was a nightmare, way harder than anything in Sekiro. Really great game overall, was particularly impressed with how the hub area evolved as the water level dropped.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2020 00:06:24 8,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Horace (PC) - 7.5

I'm not known for my tolerance of indiewank. And I guess Horace is indiewank. It's a pixelart platformer from a two man team. But it's also pretty damned good in parts.

It's probably impossible to talk about Horace without talking about two other games - Super Meat Boy and Celeste. Horace takes the difficulty from the former. If anything, it's harder. I think Horace may be the hardest game I've ever beaten. It has a deaths counter and I clocked up over 1,200 deaths by the end. And like Celese, it marries bastard-hard platforming with a story-heavy experience.

But unlike Celeste, the story is actually worth following. It's not "oh look at me" hipster millennial narcissist wank. It's an actually decent sci-fi story told through a layer of dark British humour. It has actual plot and character arcs. It lays down early seeds in the story that only bloom hours later. It's stuffed to the gills with retro-gaming and movie references, but never actually gets stuck wallowing in nostalgia. It has a soundtrack to die for.

All of which makes me think...

Somebody seriously, seriously needed to take the two-man development team aside and have a little chat with them. To say to them "It's obvious what you're doing here. You've got a good story, you've got a good sense of style, got a plan for it. So are you sure, are you REALLY SURE, that BASTARD FUCKING NAILS-HARD precision platformer is the genre you want for your gameplay? I mean, it's great you've not gone the walking simulator or visual novel route. But still... you've got a brilliant story that next to nobody is going to see to completion. This makes Dark Souls look like Barbie Horse Adventures. Maybe you should take something like... say... Sonic the Hedgehog as your difficulty reference point, not Super Meat Boy? That way, people might actually see it through."

The Steam achievements tell the whole sad story. This game's been out a good few months, so the initial wave of players has passed. There are regular achievements as you play through the game.

The achievement for getting past the introductory sessions, where the difficulty seems quite civilised and the narrative comes thick and fast, has been obtained by 81.8% of players.

The achivement for getting past the first bastard-hard bit (which is simple compared to some of the stuff that follows) has been obtained by 60.9%. So a more than 20% drop-off rate for the first difficulty spike - which is only a short distance in completion % terms on from that earlier achievement.

After the next bastard-hard bit which also has stealth mechanics... 45.5%. There's then an easier run for a few hours where the % barely dips, only going down to 42% or so.

Another bastard-hard bit... 28.6%.

Evil Metroidvania bit with four fuck-off hard boss fights... 17.8%.

Then the hardest bit in the game (and close to the end to boot)... 9.8%.

And the proportion who actually finished the game - bearing in mind the last couple of hours after that last big spike are pretty easy... 9.3%.

Was it really, really worth setting the difficulty that high for a narrative-heavy game? Less than one in ten of those who started it saw the story through to completion. I've knocked 2 points off the score for difficulty, because I'd find it hard to recommend for friends on that basis. I've beaten every Soulslike around. I hated the story in Celeste but pushed through to the end because it wasn't that hard. This is on another level entirely. Was that really necessary?

Edit: If the above comes over as too negative, I'll add a third game that belongs in any conversation about this... Nier Automata. They both hit exactly the same subversion-of-expectation notes. And both have awesome soundtracks.

Edited by Rogueywon at 00:23:02 08-01-2020
  • Nanocrystal 8 Jan 2020 01:31:33 2,080 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still easier than beating Sigrun.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jan 2020 07:29:15 15,796 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Once again Rogueywon proves he is intolerant and blind to Mental Illness.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 07:29:32 08-01-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.