Following Recently Completed Games Page 605

Next Last
  • Mmmmgrolsch 8 Jan 2020 23:27:39 12 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Steifybobbins i really enjoyed that game alot, little gem that i wouldn't have played if someone else hadn't told me about it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jan 2020 23:37:06 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon thematically this really got my attention but I donít have the time to play anything properly challenging anymore
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2020 23:54:50 7,407 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe "Properly challenging" ain't the half of it. I genuinely think it may be the hardest game I've ever beaten. Did it in 15 hours. They could have done a far better version in 8-9 hours just by dialling down the difficulty.

Such a pity, because the writing is really good (and that's not something I say often). Basically The Terminator, through a lens of very, very dark British humour and a layering of "cosy apocalypse".
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2020 10:06:47 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon I donít mind a challenge but once it starts getting in the way of itself Iím out. Especially since Baby Maybe came along.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2020 10:19:54 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Forgotten Anne

Studio Ghibli-esque adventure game with light puzzle and platforming elements.

Pluses - the story, the characterisation of the world, the music, the animation and voice acting of the main characters

Minuses - itís slightly too long, the animation and voice acting of all the side characters, the jump mechanic doesnít lend itself very well to the little platforming that there is

Overall itís an enjoyable game, gameplay-wise the way it blends its elements reminds me a lot of Valiant Hearts with the linear story and constant forward progression interrupted by light straightforward puzzling.

If anything I think it would benefit from being even more narrative and dialogue choice driven and losing some of the more immersion breaking puzzles.

7.5/10 worth it on a sale price
  • richarddavies 9 Jan 2020 10:25:19 7,012 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prey (2017)

Really liked this one. Very Bioshock in style (not a bad thing) and enjoyed the setting and story. Think I was a bit shit at it though, I struggled in some parts and that was playing on easy. One niggle for me was the shit excuses to lengthen the game. The amount of times you're about to finish a mission and a computer would short out, or the power would go down and you'd have to finish another mission just to complete the last one. Alien isolation did it alot as well.
  • Ror 9 Jan 2020 12:58:49 19,277 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble

Darth_Flibble wrote:
    They do that in Odyssey as well and didn't like in Oranges. I can't remember if Oranges sells XP boosters but Odyssey does and its shitty. They added a grind then had a way of paying to get around it. Odyssey has slightly better side quests overall but I hated the grinding of levels
    Yeah, that's in there, though it's much less in your face than it was in Syndicate, which seemed determined to send you to the in-game store at every turn. It's a lot easier to ignore here (the pause screen ads for it are much less overt), but they do still do that 'the first hit is free' thing, by giving you some helix credits to spend. I used mine to buy six extra skill points and a map to all the stone circles, and I'll never look at that screen again.

Bit further in the game now and honestly really loving it.
  • QBX 10 Jan 2020 00:10:44 118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA/DS)

Played on the DS so graphics were bright and colourful. The gimmick for this one is that Link can shrink himself which adds to the puzzling and something I'm surprised Nintendo haven't used again. Also almost everyone has half a kinstone piece which when matched reveals a chest or secret on the map.

What I only realised near the end is that some people were event specific so sidequests could be missed and items locked off which I wasn't particularly happy about. This isn't helped by the fact there is no log which means a lot of periodic backtracking and shrinking/unshrinking to check everyone.

Otherwise though it's the usual high Zelda standards.

8/10
  • Bichii 10 Jan 2020 09:53:41 2,222 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Star wars Jedi fallen order.

Mixed bag really. Nails the star wars atmosphere with great locations filled with weird creatures and plants. Great music throughout and the sound effects all perfectly fit the star wars universe.

Most of the goodies characters are crap, it would have made a much more interesting game if you were the second sister.

The map layouts are mostly annoying and climbing can be janky. Getting around the levels is like a weak version of uncharted 4 in a gameplay sense and it's layouts a bad dark souls.

Combat while fun on hard is a weak version of sekiro where most deaths feel like bs rather than you making an obvious mistake.

Edit.. my rage might have been less if I didn't have to play almost the whole game with only 2 stims!

The star wars license pulls it through, I think if this was just any old game like the surge with just some normal sword in some unknown universe I might have binned it. Still it's star wars though so that makes it good. Plus the light saber battles, minus some rage, are excellent.

7/10

Edited by Bichii at 10:01:38 10-01-2020
  • Malek86 10 Jan 2020 11:43:58 9,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon wasn't too enthralled by this review, but it's the free Epic Store game for next week, so I guess I'll be trying it out eventually.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Jan 2020 12:28:01 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've never really understood games being difficult for sake of being difficult so much so that you limit your audience. I get the challenge aspect but not when it becomes a war of attrition and is technically unfair rather than your own fault.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 12:54:35 7,407 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I kinda suspect Horace's difficulty might be at least partly accidental. It's made by a two-man team and the credits are not, to put it mildly, over-burdened with playtesters.

Pre-release playtesting often results in difficulty being reduced. Developers spend a lot of time with the games they're making and know the mechanics inside and out. As a result, they become really, really good at them and often over-shoot the difficulty level they were aiming for.

With Horace having a long development cycle and, I suspect, not much playtesting by third parties, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out more difficult than intended.
  • Mmmmgrolsch 11 Jan 2020 18:49:28 12 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    5/1/20 - Final Fantasy VIII remastered 9/10

Still holds up as a great game, it ended up being my 2nd favourite FF after thinking it was my 3rd.

11/1/20 - Death Stranding 9/10

What a masterpiece. Easily in my top 3 this gen, I'm still trying to work out if it beats RDR2 for second place. I normally get a bit fed up 30hrs into a game and take a long break, where I didn't with this. The more I played it the more I enjoyed it and got more addicted. Finishing the game has had the same effect as RDR2 where I now don't want to play any other game, the games I've tried to play today just aren't grabbing me.
  • MrAGSystems 11 Jan 2020 19:53:04 389 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Just from that description I can tell Death Stranding wouldn't be for me as when I was playing RDR2 all I could think about was playing any game that wasn't it.
  • monkman76 11 Jan 2020 19:59:53 15,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved Death Stranding from start to finish, but got bored of RDR2 and binned it less than halfway through.
  • Mmmmgrolsch 11 Jan 2020 23:04:16 12 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I loved Death Stranding from start to finish, but got bored of RDR2 and binned it less than halfway through.
    As much as I loved RDR2 I did end up taking a break for a couple of months, whereas DS had me gripped from start to finish. Put 90hrs into it without taking a break.

MrAGSystems wrote:
    Just from that description I can tell Death Stranding wouldn't be for me as when I was playing RDR2 all I could think about was playing any game that wasn't it.
    Yeah it's not for everyone and I get why some people hated it when they played it. Really is a marmite game.

Weird one for me, it's basically a delivery game but the games mechanics and the world just captured me. I'm so glad this sort of game can be made.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jan 2020 23:29:23 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

Pre-release playtesting often results in difficulty being reduced. Developers spend a lot of time with the games they're making and know the mechanics inside and out. As a result, they become really, really good at them and often over-shoot the difficulty level they were aiming for.
    Around the 25th anniversary of Doom IGN and/or Vice did some letís plays with John Romero and he was very very very good at Doom
  • MrAGSystems 12 Jan 2020 00:09:33 389 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Mmmmgrolsch Yeah to be honest, I'm glad too that Marmite games still get made, even if some of them ain't for me.
  • AddyB_ 12 Jan 2020 08:24:29 98 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Dragon Quest XI (Switch)

My first DQ game and wow it was pretty damn epic. Great story with some unexpected twists. The game world was a joy to traverse and best of all I really dug all of the characters. I still have quite a number of side quests to do but I'm done with the game now.

9/10
  • ghearoid 12 Jan 2020 09:33:42 3,284 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Story of Seasons Trio of Towns 3DS

I've played Harvest Moon games since the Gameboy days and this has become one of my favourites. There have been a lot of QoL changes which have removed much of the tedium of past games i.e. you no longer have to pick up your milk or wool, it's automatically added to your bag. Lots of new crops and facilities too and I found myself experimenting with new products a lot more than previously.

Highly recommended! 9/10
  • QBX 14 Jan 2020 11:34:54 118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spyro: A New Beginning (DS)

I knew this reviewed poorly but the DS version was the least shit option.

As with consoles it's just wave after wave of repetitive enemies but with added performance issues when things get busy. Gameplay is dull and consists of spamming the same breath abilities because everything else is pointless. Some enemies are just dicks and can stagger you to death if your not paying attention and boss fights are on-rails sections where you have to use the touch screen which is unresponsive - a special mention to the final boss which is just the worst.

The only positive thing is a puzzle minigame which is more fun than the entirety of the main game.

Just awful.

2/10
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 14 Jan 2020 13:30:30 32,282 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I remember there being a Spyro DS game I really enjoyed. It was more of an RPG but some of your review does make it sound familiar. I'm going to google it right now.

Shadow Legacy! It was the one before A New Beginning, but it was an RPG so there wasn't all that many gameplay similarities. That said it was a bit repetitive, but it doesn't sound like it's anywhere near as bad as the one you played.
  • Bichii 14 Jan 2020 14:06:06 2,222 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Outer wilds.

Absolutely brilliant except for this one thing near the end where you know what you need but to get it is far too bizarre that I had to look it up. Then I watched the new no clip documentary on the making of this game and the main designer actually apologies for that puzzle and they are working on a patch to sign post it better.

Other than that I can't knock it, every night o couldn't put it down. You start the game asleep and wake up looking up into space and see a planet with something exploding on it. Turns out you're about to go on your first space flight that day. The village you wake in serves as a great tutorial teaching you the gameplay before you even go into space.

The controls take a bit to get used to but after a while everything is second nature. The way the game drip feeds you the story and keeps you intrigued is first rate.

I loved how when you first leave the planet you start on you're free to do what ever you liked. The game gave you the little hint when you first woke but I decided to go to a comet entering the solar system and from there I got my first clues and it spirals from there.

I imagine everyone's playthrough will be unique to them on how they put all the story together and eventually worked out the game goal as it tells you nothing.

Each location is completely different to the last and they all have their own little gameplay tricks. Some genuinely tense moments on one certain planet.

Incredible soundtrack as well which really added to the whole feel of the experience.

Only negatives where that near end game puzzle and once or twice I had to double check something online to remind me what I'd done as looking at the map in game it was a bit of a mess to work out where I needed to go next.

Maybe my 2019 goty
  • monkman76 15 Jan 2020 16:35:30 15,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Control

What a brilliant game, I'm genuinely surprised by the muted reaction in here. The Oldest House has to be one of my favourite game environments ever, and I really enjoyed the combat too. Firing the Grip pistol never got old, and nor did lobbing giant chunks of scenery either. Yeah the glass cannon / poor checkpointing thing was a bit of a drag, but it didn't spoil it for me. Loved it.

Hnnnngh maybe not quite a 10 because of the checkpointing so 9.5/10
  • wuntyate 15 Jan 2020 16:49:56 13,490 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bichii How long did it take you to go through The Outer Wilds you think? I have it installed via gamepass from the end of last year but haven't played it. Quite intruiged but don't fancy taking on something that's too long.
  • Bichii 15 Jan 2020 17:56:22 2,222 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @wuntyate hmm I'd guess 15-20 hours. I guess it really depends on which clues you find in what order. It's like crack, hard to put down as soon as you get your first mystery.
  • wuntyate 15 Jan 2020 18:46:30 13,490 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm. I'm certainly intrigued!
  • Dombat 19 Jan 2020 20:47:08 1,698 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC)

Going to be lazy and say I pretty much agree with Bichiiís review above. The game did sag a bit in the middle and but it picks up and I liked the latter sectionsí boss fights and story development. Good overall but nothing special.

7/10
  • creepiest-lizard 20 Jan 2020 12:37:39 937 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Observation

You play as a slightly sinister sounding AI (think HAL) on a space station. You only have control of the cameras and computer systems and use them to help the crew navigate the station trying to find out what has gone wrong (shits done gone wrong) while it orbits....somewhere.
    Its great. Brilliant sound design and soundtrack with a really eerie atmosphere and a solid sci-fi story.
    Slight niggles are that its occasionally hard to work out where the hell you're going or what you're supposed to do

8/10
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.