Following Recently Completed Games Page 616

• Malek86 19 Mar 2020 13:56:20 10,092 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He sure shouldn't be worried about essays now, and for another couple months at least, I imagine.
  • docrob 19 Mar 2020 16:04:40 1,565 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unavowed (PC)

Now that was a fun little game. I was expecting a lot of mind-bending puzzles in the point-and-click tradition. It's not like that. As an adventure it's pretty easy. Took me about 6 hours. But it has a really good story, good voice acting, likeable characters, and a whole lot of wry humour. It was perfect after spending weeks fighting my way through Hollow Knight.

8/10
  • RyanDS 19 Mar 2020 17:13:23 13,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Unavowed (PC)

Now that was a fun little game. I was expecting a lot of mind-bending puzzles in the point-and-click tradition. It's not like that. As an adventure it's pretty easy. Took me about 6 hours. But it has a really good story, good voice acting, likeable characters, and a whole lot of wry humour. It was perfect after spending weeks fighting my way through Hollow Knight.

8/10
    It is worth a replay choosing different options.

Grandia 2

Played on the switch. I enjoyed it, but thought the first was better. This one was very monotonous with the battles. I rinsed and repeated the same 5 moves the entire game once I had them. Still, it is a charming little game and I am glad I played it.

7.5/10
  • docrob 19 Mar 2020 20:38:06 1,565 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I actually got the worst ending. Then reloaded and got one of the good endings. Then watched a video confirming this was so.
  • QBX 20 Mar 2020 10:40:54 165 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Didn't rally enjoy this partly due to the motion controls and some of the annoying additions; I'm looking at you horse combat. Graphically the game hasn't aged well with character models still being sharp but a blur/haze over backgrounds. The sword skills you learn which rely on the motion controls never work when you actually need them.

Hyrule itself just feels like a big empty space which is amplified by the amount of back and forth you have to do (until your able to warp) and the fact you can't travel through the centre which feels like poorly hidden padding.

But it's Zelda.

7/10
  • Malek86 20 Mar 2020 11:20:50 10,092 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember that TP looked especially worse on european consoles because for some reason Nintendo decided to use its massively crappy deflicker filter on PAL. The NTSC version looks sharper at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGur78ahkl4
  • EMarkM 20 Mar 2020 11:25:30 4,945 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I remember liking Twilight Princess. I had it on the Wii. I am a Zelda fan, but I think Iím right in saying itís the only one Iíve ever actually completed.

I do get easily enchanted by stories and characters in games (I loved Kameo and would give a lot for a sequel, for instance). Twilight Princess really grabbed me somehow.

I did despise the motion controlled stuff though. I still donít like it in any form really.
  • Tomo 20 Mar 2020 13:13:11 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TP is the best Zelda game. The mainline games haven't been bettered since imo. Skyward Sword was a piece of shit with some insipid dungeons and design in general. BotW is magnificent, but it's too fucking massive imo, but most of all suffers without the dungeons.

Link Between Worlds is severely underrated imo. One of the very best.
  • Tomo 20 Mar 2020 13:13:45 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    imo

I really went to town there.
  • monkman76 20 Mar 2020 13:23:34 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LBW is my favourite Zelda by quite a distance, though I've only played that, Wind Waker and BotW.
  • Ror 20 Mar 2020 14:27:48 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finished Yakuza 0 last night. 60 hours, 30% completion. Allow me to summarise in the form of a haiku.

Is it a crime game?
    Perhaps a Greek tragedy?
    No. Real Estate Sim.
  • QBX 20 Mar 2020 16:09:13 165 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wind Waker holds a special place for me. If you bought the special edition of Mario Kart Double Dash for the GameCube it came with a second disc that had all the previous Zelda games plus a 20 minute demo of WW. Went out and bought it the next day.

Enjoyed all the games but really struggled with BotW and the aforementioned lack of dungeons.
  • QBX 20 Mar 2020 16:12:46 165 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ror I've just opened up the real estate stuff after being distracted by substories and looking for telephone cards *ahem*
  • Ror 20 Mar 2020 16:28:21 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @QBX I'm actually just finishing up the real estate storyline at the moment (you can go back into the game world after finishing the story by choosing 'Premium Adventure' mode from the title screen), as the last few chapters really funnel you to the ending. Just need to defeat the last billionaire and I will call it a day.
  • uiruki 20 Mar 2020 22:23:15 5,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    6. Black Mesa - PC - 4/5 (Xen section)

This ened up being really good. They definitely got that Half-Life feel down for the most part with a lot of reasonably organic feeling paths through levels. It does have you rely on basically one gun for a large chunk of it though, and it is maybe a bit long, but overall I'm really impressed. Good use of music and there's one great boss in there!
  • Tomo 20 Mar 2020 23:28:02 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Life is Strange 2 - 8/10

It's not quite the classic that the first LiS was, but it's very, very good. The story is a lot more serious, often veering into political territory. It's pretty bold for fairly mainstream gaming. The characters are all mostly fantastic, but it doesn't have the strange sense of levity that the first has, even though that is very dark at points. I don't think Sean and Daniel have much time to relax through the course of their journey, whereas Max and Chloe have time to actually live like teenagers and the childish sides of their personalities shine more.

The other slight downside to LiS2 is the superpower. The mechanic in the first game was absolutely crucial to both the story and the gameplay mechanics. It was a large part of what made that game so interesting. The superpower in LiS2 is a lot more straightforward and it means the game plays in a much more conventional way, like a more regular point'n'click/moral decision type game.

Still, I'd happily play another one. It's a great franchise.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Mar 2020 12:03:33 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Slay the Spire

Simply fantastic.

10/10
  • JoelStinty 21 Mar 2020 18:18:31 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I finished Yakuza 0 last night. 60 hours, 30% completion. Allow me to summarise in the form of a haiku.

Is it a crime game?
    Perhaps a Greek tragedy?
    No. Real Estate Sim.
    Yakuza 0 is a weird game. I can't really say I enjoyed its gameplay, but its Story and characters are so good that I powered through it. I will start Kiwami at some point.
  • dominalien 21 Mar 2020 20:45:17 9,598 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Resident Evil VII on PS4

Got on launch, played two hours, never touched again until yesterday. What I really wanted to play was RE2 or 3 Remake, but I canít, so I played this instead. It is fantastic.

I wasnít convinced the 1st person perspective was a good fit for a RE game and I still am not, but it certainly fits this game. I wasnít keen on the very un-RE setting (though I should have known better after 4), but it becomes very RE after a while. I also usually donít appreciate the seemingly requisite change of scenery many games and films think is necessary in the last act, but here itís pulled off impeccably and makes the game that much better.

The length is about perfect and the incentives to replay are very strong. RE is glorious again, even more so with the two remakes, though admittedly I only know those from their demos.

9/10
  • Bichii 21 Mar 2020 22:53:00 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Doom eternal.

Amazing game! Too much fluff added that arguably took away from the experience but I bet if they made a sequel too much like doom 2016 people would moan about that as well. Some rage inducing difficulty at times but very rewarding. 100% will all secrets. One enemy type was beyond shite but otherwise the combat was a joy.

9/10
  • JonFE 21 Mar 2020 23:34:46 2,007 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wasn't Doom released just yesterday? Geez, you really are fast!!!
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Mar 2020 09:01:43 15,797 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    Wasn't Doom released just yesterday? Geez, you really are fast!!!
    https://youtu.be/chiKi95j9UM
  • MikeP 23 Mar 2020 15:54:35 2,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Two recent completions for me:

First was Surviving Mars. I've not played through all the scenarios but I bought the Green Planet expansion and have a lovely terraformed planet with an abundance of food and happy Martians. I'm not normally a sim-game player but I enjoyed this a lot, just enough complexity for me to enjoy without getting lost in micromanagement. Once you get momentum behind your colony it gets a lot easier. A strong recommend, would take our species interplanetary again.

Second was Mutant Year Zero, a turn-based X-COM(ish) combat game with an underpinning narrative that drives the action. Based on a paper & pen RPG. Character and environment design is fab, there's not really any base-building/management to do, it's much more focused on environment exploration.

One of the nicest things is that you explore & sneak in realtime and only drop into turn based combat action when you start an ambush. Apart from one annoying little difficulty spike early on I though it was pretty fair.

For those of you who like a bit of turn-based action without too much else to fuss about I'd recommend, especially if you snagged it for free from the Epic Store a while back and it's just sat in your backlog. If the idea of roaming the mutated post-societal backwoods of Sweden trying to figure out why one of your companions is a talking duck, another is a fox with a bad cockney accent, and you're a sentient boar appeals, then I'd also give this a strong recommend.
  • Blackmarsh63 23 Mar 2020 16:02:15 3,275 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JonFE Thursday , but still....
  • JonFE 23 Mar 2020 18:33:30 2,007 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Blackmarsh63 I kind of I envy her, not for her gaming skills or quick completion, but for the fact that she finds the time and appetite to actually play all these games to the end. I hate to admit that I often start a new game only to lose interest or track of progress/controls/systems etc, once I've missed some daily gaming sessions due to lack of playtime.
  • RyanDS 23 Mar 2020 20:16:30 13,214 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    @Blackmarsh63 I kind of I envy her, not for her gaming skills or quick completion, but for the fact that she finds the time and appetite to actually play all these games to the end. I hate to admit that I often start a new game only to lose interest or track of progress/controls/systems etc, once I've missed some daily gaming sessions due to lack of playtime.

He doesn't. He youtubes a stream. Admitted to it before.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2020 20:46:26 28,821 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nier : Automata

I completed Playthrough A and part of B but not C so I suppose I only completed half the game but that was enough.
    It's a real mixed bag of great and terrible.

+ Music is great
    + Artistically great in terms of character design
    + Initially engrossing story with great twist during Playthrough B

- Technically mediocre in terms of the environment.
    - The "open world" is dull, full of invisible walls.
    - Some shitty bullet hell sections
    - Repetitive combat
    - Having to repeat 90% of Playthrough A again just to access the 2nd half of the game.
    - Unstable

The story is the best part of the game but the shitty structure and the fact that the core gameplay was to me, unsatisfying, meant that my decision to bin Playthrough B (after the game crashed and lost 1h15 minutes of progress) and watch the rest of the story on Youtube was the right choice.

It's great to have weird Japanese games like this but ultimately this one just didn't click with me fully.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Mar 2020 22:42:02 28,821 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Nier Automata felt like it had a shitty version of Bayonetta's combat and the absolute worst map design I've seen in a game.
    Yeah, pretty much.
  • dominalien 23 Mar 2020 23:05:29 9,598 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bayoneta should not even be mentioned on the same page as NA. Otherwise, youíre both about right.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.