Recently Completed Games Page 617

• Dombat 23 Mar 2020 23:31:30 1,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nier Automata is a weird one. I can't really argue with the weaknesses listed above but I mostly really enjoyed my time with the game and I'm glad I played through to all the main endings. I think its charm and quirkiness carried the game for me.
  • Dombat 23 Mar 2020 23:33:35 1,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Final Fantasy VII (Switch)

Easily my most played single player game of all time but I hadn't played it in about 15 years. I was worried about how much it had aged or whether I would enjoy it like I used to but it was still a pleasure to play through. While the graphics are obviously very dated, it mostly holds up well in the gameplay department. The only notable exceptions are the mini games, which were always a bit clunky and gimmicky but have aged HORRIBLY at this point. Fortunately the forced mini games are very brief and not at all challenging.

It's not quite a 100% run as I haven't fought Ruby or Emerald Weapon but I've done that enough in the past and would rather move on and play other games.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Mar 2020 10:01:03 28,696 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Nier Automata is a weird one. I can't really argue with the weaknesses listed above but I mostly really enjoyed my time with the game and I'm glad I played through to all the main endings. I think its charm and quirkiness carried the game for me.
    I get that.
    In my case, the strong points didn't outweigh all the flaws but can see how it went the other way for plenty of people.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 24 Mar 2020 11:12:22 32,417 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I adore the minigames. Definitely a bit clunky but I'd happily play a full game of that submarine one, even now.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2020 16:01:28 17,011 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Doom Eternal

The combat was great, if a little tough in places, but once you get into the rhythm of the different kills it comes together nicely. Although a couple of the enemies are a real pain - especially the bloody marauder. It does get quite manic and a lot of fun.

On the other hand there's the platforming, mostly ok, but some of them are a real pain and almost had me rage quit. They detract from the fun quite a bit for me.

I didn't mind the story elements, it's nice to learn more about the world, and they weren't too onerous.

7/10
  • CitizenGeek 24 Mar 2020 22:03:32 3,484 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Resident Evil HD Remake. 9/10.

Had played the original, but so long ago that I didn't even remember if I had enjoyed it or not. The remake is just fantastic though, and the game is so meticulously and cleverly designed. Loved more or less every minute (clumsy camera angles are the only real drawback).
  • Rens11 25 Mar 2020 16:40:47 1,827 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doom 64

First time playing this and consider the original doom and Doom 2 my favourite shooters. Bought on switch the gameplay feels mostly smooth with the odd stutter here n there. The soundtrack reminded me of PS1 doom which I much prefer to the pumping pc music nostalgia don't shoot me

Not many changes to enemies or guns but the pain elementals are a nightmare, much worse than the original hitting harder and faster. Some clever levels dotted throughout but too much reliance on switches which were harder to see

9/10
  • JoelStinty 25 Mar 2020 16:57:42 8,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ori and The Blind Forest, Switch

Completion time: 11/12 Hours

Great. It's always a bit daunting going into a game that has universal high praise. For the most part it doesn't disappoint. It is quite a challenging 2D platformer that at times threatens to overwhelm and ruin the experience, but I always seemed to pull through at those borderline moments that could ruin a game. I was quite surprised in a good way how serious the platforming gets early on. It doesn't mess about. The game is not without its faults, there is a couple of brutal segments that seem a little unfair, and it is one of those games where you sometimes progress screen by screen, you get past one punishing segment to be floored immediately by the next. I could see why people might just give up with it.

However, I seemed to be pulled in by its challenge, because the moments where the games gives, it is really gives. Learning the movesets can be a challenge, but once you get your hear around them moving through the stunningly detailed game world feels really good. Movement is exquisite. About 2/3 ways of the through I decided to mop up stuff I missed and couldn't reach and I really enjoyed it. Its been a while where I just enjoyed moving about in a game world. It was a pleasure to explore.

I really enjoyed my time with it, its a challenging game that is let down by a few poor design decisions, and some naff combat, but for the most part its a really good game, that is beautiful to look at it. Its defiantly one of the best looking games on the switch, and its runs great in portable mode as well. Noticed no hitches or tearing or anything like that. Its a great port.

4.25/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 16:58:22 25-03-2020
  • Rufus 26 Mar 2020 09:01:03 1,843 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    Doom 64

The soundtrack reminded me of PS1 doom which I much prefer to the pumping pc music nostalgia don't shoot me

it was the same composer for each - Aubrey Hodges. I love both of those soundtracks! IIRC he used to have them to download for free on his site, but now has a bandcamp where you can buy both. Might chuck some money his way considering just how cheap the game was!
  • Rens11 26 Mar 2020 10:12:36 1,827 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rufus

Cheers for the information, just listened to a few tracks. Got so many great memories playing PS1 doom as a 6-7 year old just hearing the weird groaning soundtrack brings it all flooding back.
  • uiruki 28 Mar 2020 14:52:16 5,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    7. Half-Life: Alyx - PC - 5/5

Best VR game yet, and a real step forward in combining physics and motion controls as something cohesive. Less freedom than Boneworks but much less glitchiness too!

As a shooter I would say it's my favourite campaign since Titanfall 2; basically ten hours or so of setpieces and plenty of memorable moments that'll stay with me for a long time. It's also the best looking game I've seen in VR, with surprisingly good performance.
  • Trowel 28 Mar 2020 20:51:44 23,303 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oxenfree - 4/10

Probably should have read more about this before I picked it up, as it's exactly the sort of indie west coast schtick I can't stand. Throw in ponderous gameplay, a nonsense storyline, and some of the worst loading times I've seen this generation, and it's one for the bin.
  • Nanocrystal 28 Mar 2020 20:59:18 2,048 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also thought Oxenfree was pants.
  • RyanDS 28 Mar 2020 21:31:36 13,189 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Assassins creed odyssey.

Loved it, brilliant world, stunning to watch, good missions. But so so long. One of those games I loved playing but 60 hours in just wanted to get it done with so ended up doing the 3 main endings. Haven't even touched Atlantis etc.

In some ways I wish these games had an end, but I want to do shenmue 2 and persona 5 royal and resident evil are out next week so need to break away.

But i am still sitting there going "but I dont have all x collected..."

9/10
  • Tomo 28 Mar 2020 22:17:58 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    I also thought Oxenfree was pants.
    Both objectively wrong! It was great.
  • whatthefu 28 Mar 2020 22:27:39 1,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @RyanDS
    What are the three main endings?
    I just killed the sister on the mountain and pretty much stopped playing after that. It's a big map to not really know what to do next. I'd have liked to kill all the cultists.
  • Vortex808 29 Mar 2020 12:14:27 13,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gears 5

Took a long time to get through it. Not it's fault tbh, i just couldn't be arsed playing games much for a good while. Lockdown made me go back to playing stuff a bit.

7/10 i guess. 's' allright.

Lack of momentum in the story didn't help given i was about halfway through, then stoppped for six months due to game playing ennui.
  • whatthefu 29 Mar 2020 13:39:38 1,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    I'm stuck at the end of chapter 2.
    The matriarch battle?
    Took me a while to get the idea but then I found it a decent battle. There have been some difficult parts in the game for me.

I'm on act 4 in chapter 3 now, so will get this off my backlog soon enough I think
  • Vortex808 29 Mar 2020 14:08:26 13,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The red mist was a bit cheap. I was getting miffed, but did sort it.

Gnasher is good on ice for freezing it. Flash freeze if you have it also helps!

Edited by Vortex808 at 14:08:45 29-03-2020
  • RyanDS 30 Mar 2020 11:19:57 13,189 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    @RyanDS
    I just killed the sister on the mountain and pretty much stopped playing after that. It's a big map to not really know what to do next. I'd have liked to kill all the cultists.
    They are:
    The one you did
    Kill all cultists
    Then one I had to look up, killing the 4 legendary creatures. To do that you need to find your father and that starts the quest.
  • Red_Bool 30 Mar 2020 12:09:45 1,953 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    whatthefu wrote:
    @RyanDS
    They are:
    The one you did
    Kill all cultists
    Then one I had to look up, killing the 4 legendary creatures. To do that you need to find your father and that starts the quest.
    Did all those things (except I chose not to kill the brother) and even then I wanted it to go on. There's also the Atlantis questline (not sure if that part is DLC or not).
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Mar 2020 12:23:57 4,193 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ori and the will of the wisps

More balanced and fairer than the 1st game, better combat, checkpoints, bigger map with simple fetch quest side quests. The game does has some cheap deaths/instant kills but with the better checkpoints its not as bad as the tree escape. Towards the end it does start doing no checkpoint escape sections and its learn from your deaths to get past it

The performance is still a bit crappy at times as you get freeze up for couple of seconds (normally when trying to make jumps or dashes) Apparently a patch this week will fix it

its a great gamepass title as I enjoyed it but not sure if I would play it again from the start.

8/10
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Mar 2020 12:35:30 15,689 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Red_Bool
    Atlantis is the 1st DLC. I am basing that on not having it myself having bought the Vanilla game.

Last week I did another quest which was quite detailed about 2 brothers losing their Dad. There was a trophy at the end of it separate to the main games list. So that was clearly a DLC add-on too.

Not sure if Ubisoft gave me access to that DLC as part of their free trial or if was free DLC, available to all that just happened to unlock at the point of the story I was at.
  • Red_Bool 30 Mar 2020 14:44:21 1,953 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

You are right. I was actually thinking of the 4 mythic creatures storyline, not the Atlantis DLC (it's been a while since I completed it).
  • Cadence 30 Mar 2020 15:33:07 2,463 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Watchdogs.

Pretty good actually, a solid 8/10 game. I missed all the hoo har around the whole downgrade thing when it first came out and picked it up for 4 quid in the PSN sale the other day. Given ubisoft's penchant for cut and paste mission design I though the storyline was actually pretty decent with soem inventive missions. Of course there is still the usual map with icons spunked all over it but I ignored most of the filler and stuck to the main game.

Edited by Cadence at 15:33:38 30-03-2020
  • RichDC 30 Mar 2020 16:29:15 8,815 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Final Fantasy XII (Switch)

Decided to go back and finish it, not realising I'd stopped literally just before the final boss. It pretty much plays itself but it's still a lot of fun. A good story and cast, aside from Vaan and Penelo who both appear to have no actual role in the plot they star in.
  • dai_bonehead 30 Mar 2020 23:57:49 487 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ori and the will of the wisps.

Fantastic game. Beautiful to look at and listen to. Iím not a platform player normally but this and the prequel really captured my attention. There were a couple of frustrating boss battles but Iím a below average game and managed to get past them with a bit of patience and perseverance.

Recommended.
  • QBX 1 Apr 2020 13:23:17 161 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Game Pass)

I played online with my niece and our experience was bit of a mixed bag due to some bad luck and connection trouble.

We got some decent guns early on which made looting more or less pointless until about level 15 when things started to get fun again. The last few days though there's been some increasing network problems (ranging from instantly disconnecting to not connecting at all) so I'm glad we finished when we did.

But I do prefer TPS compared to BL2. There's something about the atmosphere and gliding about/slamming down on someones head that never gets old.

CL4P/TP

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.