Following Recently Completed Games Page 620

• Bichii 10 Apr 2020 08:17:54 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I like the look of bobble heads but I'd never spend money on any gaming merchandise. The kids have slowly built up a good collection of them over the past few years. They have most of the major marvel characters and some Disney and Pixar ones. I've got a few t shirts of games that have come with pre orders that I use for baking, that's about it.
  • Bichii 11 Apr 2020 00:25:36 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Control on PS4

Hard one to score. So much to love about it, the flowing combat, the world, the abilities, the visuals, the story, the atmosphere.

It has some major issues as well..terrible map, poor loading times, poor performance, awful checkpoints, way too frequent text collectables (even though I loved the story).

Still maybe a 9 if I'm generous and remedy deserve my generosity as I love all their games.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Apr 2020 11:56:32 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC) - 6.5/10

Completed in a shade under 5 hours on normal difficulty. It's ok, but it's a pale shadow of RE:Make 2. It definitely feels like a bit of a cash-in that was put together on the cheap. That's not just about the playtime - it feels like a game with a lot of corners cut.

Compared to the previous game, this is very much in the linear "theme park ride" model of AAA survival horror games. For much of the game, you simply move down a linear path. Only a couple of locations have more opportunities for exploration and unlocking new paths (the city streets early on and a hospital around the mid-point). There aren't many puzzles and they're all pretty straightforward. You lose the sense of place from RE:Make 2, where you actually started to feel like you knew your way around the police station and knew where was safe, where wasn't and occasionally got a nasty surprise when the game inverted that.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment is Nemesis. REMake 2's Mr. X created high expectations for how Nemesis would be implemented, and Capcom themselves talked it up in pre-release teasers, going well beyond the bounds of truth. Unlike Mr. X, Nemesis is entirely scripted. Your only encounters with him occur at narrowly defined, pre-set points and more or less play out on rails. There's never a feeling that you're being stalked by him, or that you have the opportunity to slip around him by outwitting him.

It's not all bad. Visually, the game is beautiful. The story isn't bad, though with the game being so short, it feels rushed in places. A couple of the weapons are fun to use. The mid-game hospital is a reasonably good location, even if it's tiny compared to the previous game's police station. An early-game section in an electricity substation is properly creepy.

But overall, this feels like something that should have been sold as a DLC for REmake 2. Unless you think you're going to get loads of satisfaction from replaying and speedrunning a fairly indifferent game, it's hard to justify picking it up at full price.
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Apr 2020 09:41:24 4,311 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Broken Ages (PS now download)

Started off really enjoying it, it was nice point and click adventure game but it really shits the bed later with the wiring puzzles and does not get any better. The game is really obtuse at giving you any hints and its randomise with hundreds(?) of variations, once you find a good guide it becomes much easier but there is so many walkthroughs that were shitted out by people and sites to "get those clicks" that show their way which will be different for 99% people. Also it becomes more frustrating after that.

up to a point it was 8/10 but after finishing it, more like 5/10
  • JonFE 13 Apr 2020 07:19:52 2,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Steamworld Dig 2 (Gamepass)

Finally, finished a game that is not from From software. Loved it, as I did its predecessor. There's something really compelling and addictive when you dig for those stones, the tok-tok of your axe. Took me long enough (20 hrs) to find all secrets, max my abilities (but not all cogs) and beat the end boss, but it was worth it :)

Want to beat the ultimate trials as well, which are a bit hard...
  • damagedinc 13 Apr 2020 09:08:28 2,857 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Modern warfare

Now that I have kids my gaming time is limited and MW was the perfect pick up and play, I enjoyed my time with it but season 3 has finished me off.

Ridiculous size for the game means my hard drive is all but wiped out by it. Along with lag issues and recent problems getting a game I'm done.

I just want a decent online shooter, not interested in battle royales or games that go on for 40 min. Such a shame counter strike isnt on ps4 as this would be perfect.

I'm interested in any suggestions?

Battlefield was always my go to but getting stuck into a big long match not always possible.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Apr 2020 09:13:05 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    There's talk that the next gen will see games broken down so you can download the bits you want, to help what is going to be an ever increasing file size issue.
    I'm in favour of that as I tend to only bother with single player.
  • damagedinc 13 Apr 2020 10:23:16 2,857 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know why because of the shared assets but u had no interest in warzone and it's taken up so much space. Not going to bother with hard drive upgrades this late into the generation either. When I've mostly had no issues till now

Edited by damagedinc at 15:16:15 13-04-2020
  • bighairybear65 13 Apr 2020 11:36:51 333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @damagedinc

Apex Legends
    Over watch
    Rainbow Six

Used to play them all, jump in, jump out all good fun tho 🤔
  • uiruki 13 Apr 2020 14:55:16 5,245 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    9. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4 - 3/5

Really dropped off at the end, I thought. I've got a lot of thoughts on this but by and large they can be boiled down to: when it's following the original or building on it, it's lots of fun, exciting and enjoyable, but when it branches out or (god forbid) tries to be clever, the whole thing just kind of falls apart.

The exception is the music, which is the opposite: when it's just the original tracks but with orchestral synths it's boring and annoying (especially when it gets stuff wrong on purpose to try and make you anticipate it getting it right) but when it goes off in its own direction it fits a lot better.

Special mention goes to the battle system - what a mess. Basically the only way it can make enemy actions matter is to make them ignore your characters and interrupt them. Biggest culprit are the worthless dodge roll and awful counter moves you have. In addition, the fact that hitting elemental weaknesses is so strong massively limited my materia choice: since you can't change in battle, you have to be ready for anything.

Suspect that this is one of those games that I'll feel less keen on the more time passes. I'm already feeling like I'm forgetting the positives in favour of the negatives.
  • Steifybobbins 13 Apr 2020 19:11:37 660 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Metro 2033 Switch

Bought this after Half Life Alyx released to hopefully scratch that itch and I must say it did. It's an old game and most of you who are interested will no doubt have played it but if you haven't don't hesitate. A solid, story driven, methodical FPS with great atmosphere that really draws you in. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror but I managed to see this through comfortably so dont let that put you off either. Both Redux games are in the sale on switch right now. Do yourself a favour, buy them dig out your headphones and enjoy

• Steve-Perry 13 Apr 2020 20:06:33 1,483 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Steifybobbins is it more like half life than fallout? I might try it but was always out off by the Fallout 3 vibe. Granted I don't know anything about it really.

I've run out of shit to play!
  • JamboWayOh 13 Apr 2020 20:09:04 19,988 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    @Steifybobbins is it more like half life than fallout? I might try it but was always out off by the Fallout 3 vibe. Granted I don't know anything about it really.

It's linear in the sense of Half Life. Limited ammo, you have a timer on your gas mask but it never feels overly oppressive to ruin gameplay.
  • Steve-Perry 13 Apr 2020 20:23:50 1,483 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Sounds good then. Downloading now, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow
  • Steifybobbins 13 Apr 2020 21:23:12 660 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:

Sorry for the delay, yes it's very much a linear story driven FPS with great atmosphere much like half life only darker and scarier ha. I almost gave up after a couple of hours but it really picks up. Put it this way it forcefully sandwiched itself between my animal crossing obsession ha ha
  • Steifybobbins 13 Apr 2020 21:23:53 660 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:

It's linear in the sense of Half Life. Limited ammo, you have a timer on your gas mask but it never feels overly oppressive to ruin gameplay.
    Did you enjoy it Jambo?
  • JamboWayOh 13 Apr 2020 22:02:00 19,988 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoyed Last Light more than 2033. Still a good game though but it had some annoying quirks. I feel Exodus is the better game overall.
  • Steifybobbins 13 Apr 2020 22:43:36 660 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I enjoyed Last Light more than 2033. Still a good game though but it had some annoying quirks. I feel Exodus is the better game overall.
    Good to know I was going to pick up last light 😀
  • Malek86 13 Apr 2020 22:51:00 10,158 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2033 Redux added a remixed mode that should make it more similar to Last Light, I think.

I'll have to try it again someday. I liked Exodus, but 2033 felt a bit too restrictive with its survival elements.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:52:11 13-04-2020
  • Steifybobbins 14 Apr 2020 06:01:34 660 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrAGSystems that's where the dumb AI helps particularly the beast dog things. I'm crap at FPS 's and I managed
  • Calo64 14 Apr 2020 17:21:09 31 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Doom Eternal - and I wish I didn't play it on Ultra Violence. Was left with a feeling 'thank god that's over with' rather than 'man, that was fun'

to sum it up in a few lines at least.
  • Steve-Perry 14 Apr 2020 17:32:45 1,483 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Just started Metro. It's a bit 'gaming cinematic' so far. Lots of rubber faced dick heads waffling on with cliched dialogue. But I'll persist.

I've only just realised that you can turn v sync off on PCs without screen tearing with Nvidia Fast Sync. Currently getting over 200fps with this! A gaming PC is wasted on me.

Edit: it's not for me. played 100 minutes according to steam, and thus far it's just cut scene after cut scene of boring dialogue punctuated by average fps shooting of generic gaming monsters. Going to see if I can get a refund on steam.

The atmosphere of the game is nice, it reminds me of STALKER, but I CBA with it.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 18:42:10 14-04-2020
  • garryo'neill 14 Apr 2020 17:43:50 28 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Resident Evil 3 Remake.

I never finished the original so i can't really compare, but it was just as enjoyable as 2 was to me, i loved what they did will Jill, Nemesis in his pursuer form was terrifying and i do wish we had quite a bit more of this.

The game had such a cool Aliens feel to it in the later sections as well, i took my time with it and explored all the nooks - im a massive fan of all the Lore and finished on 12 hours! amazed people are doing it in 4-5 to be honest.

8/10 for me - will go back and replay on nightmare once final fantasy 7 is done, and i have not touched multiplayer yet.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Apr 2020 20:32:39 4,311 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Grim Fandango Remastered

Overall I enjoyed it although, its a shame they didn't fix up some of the more shitty bits. the forest in year 1 is pretty naff. The vault lock puzzle in year 3 is shit, really bad game design as is laughably made. Also some slightly annoying bits in year 4 on the right pixel to stand to use a item. There is a game breaking bug on year 4 with the bone grinder they never bothered to fix

But the game is mostly funny and its so much better point and click compared to Broken age (which really goes downhill halfway through) The remaster does a great job with the static backgrounds as they look good in HD, turn off the remaster graphics and its just the character models change. A remaster should fix the bad or broken parts of the game

7.5/10
  • Malek86 14 Apr 2020 20:41:00 10,158 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd say Grim Fandango really went downhill after the first disc too.

If you haven't played it, do try The Journey Down, it was one of the best point and clicks in recent memory for me. Kinda dropped the ball in the final chapter, but that's understandable since it was made on a super low kickstarter budget.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Apr 2020 20:58:26 4,311 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Malek86

If The Journey Down appears on gamepass/ps now/plus, will give a try
  • JoeBlade 14 Apr 2020 21:29:04 5,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    2033 was a chore to play because the weapon/baddie tracking just doesn't work very well on a controller. Can imagine it's a whole lot better on M+K
    I'll say it again: the first Nazi station in 2033 just kills the game for me. It's bastard hard in a totally not fun way. No matter how well you play you (almost) can't be properly equipped for the fights there.

Last Light doesn't have such completely unforgiving bits. Or if it does I'm not there yet.

For the record: I finished 2033. That one bit is just... gnnn.

Edited by JoeBlade at 21:30:05 14-04-2020
  • JonFE 14 Apr 2020 21:37:39 2,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Regarding Grim Fandango, I skipped playing it when originally launched on PC, even though I had played all LucasArts adventure games released at that point. I tried again many years later on the PSVita and at some point felt I would only finish it with a playthrough, which kind of negates the point (and click); I'll see myself out :cool:

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.