Following Recently Completed Games Page 626

• uiruki 10 May 2020 00:30:30 5,196 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    11. Streets of Rage 4 - PC - 4/5

Good one, this. Sure, the story mode structure's a little weird, and I'm not a fan of the music or art style (just the style - the graphics are technically really good with loads of little effects which mean that it's a high resolution 2D game where the foreground and background work together super well) but the actual game is bang on and feels great. Play it with a Mega Drive-style controller, it definitely feels better with the "real" button layout! I liked the unlockable characters a lot, the SOR1 characters in particular are super beefy and powerful. using Axel and just smashing everyone around with SOR2 weapon impact sound effects is great.

After playing the previous game (see below) I really noticed some of the little touches like enemies not hiding off screen - very considerate.

12. Amid Evil - PC - 4/5

Super fun old-style shooter. Goes for a slightly different target in that it's more like Heretic or Hexen than Quake or Doom and this makes for a suitably different game since you're firing magic that takes a little while to get to its target and the different forms that takes are nicely differentiated. It also lets you fire the BFG equivalent a lot - you hear that, Doom Eternal?

Doesn't quite hit the highs of something like Dusk but by about Episode 4 of 7 you could see the makers really hit their stride and the lasst few levels were easily the best. I'm looking forward to seeing what the team behind this come up with next.

13. Bare Knuckle 3 - Mega Drive - 3/5

Yes, Bare Knuckle - I played the Japanese version. Originally I was just going to play for a little bit to test out the Retro-Bit Saturn controller I got for my Mister (verdict: seems good, dpad's a little spongey but suspect it'll break in, buttons feel great, cable's about a metre too long) and before I knew it I was done. Nice cooldown from another session on Nioh 2!

Since this is the Japanese version I knew it'd be easier but didn't realise how much so; the game's got practically no challenge at all up until maybe the stage 5 boss. It starts to turn the screws a little bit by stage 7 but that's the end of the game! Still didn't manage to beat the final boss in time fo the best ending but it still counts. Coming from SOR4 I was surprised to find how much it ends up expecting you to actually use your dodge up and down; in 4 just walking at normal speed up or down dodges a significant amount of even tracking enemy moves. The star moves are kind of game breaking too and having a 6 button controller lets you fire them off at will (albeit with a fiddly, Primal Rage-esque pad combo). It basically gives you control over most of the screen for most enemies.

Overall it does feel a bit half-baked; the game feels like it lacks consistency at times, and sound effects are noticeably worse and there are only 7 stages, one of which basically being three corridors with a few single-screen rooms branching off.

One note on the soundtrack - I think time's been kind to a lot of it and it definitely grows on you with some neat, complex tracks but there are still some dreadful tracks on there. The one for the ending in particular reminded me of the infamous Resident Evil Basement track, just random notes without the more progressive sounds other tracks have. Some really long tracks in there for a game like this too - there are multiple ones where it has one more bridge section or even more before looping. Cool to listen to when it's working.
  • JoelStinty 10 May 2020 10:09:26 8,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Great. My first AC game, and I enjoyed logging in everyday for the last couple of months. Typical Nintendo really. Solid foundations, alleviated by lots of neat touches and details. Could do with a couple of quality of life changes (mainly when you want to make more of 1 thing) but its a good light sim game. Just unlocked the terrain editing stuff so plenty to still be getting on with.

4.5/5
  • RyanDS 11 May 2020 14:24:11 13,212 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Persona 5 Royal

10/10. Took a game I had already spent 100+ hours on and got me to replay it again from the start and spend another 115 hours on. And I loved every second. Should be more than 10/10 as I gave P5 a perfect score and this is somehow better.

At first I thought the extra stuff was tacked on (the ending stuff, not the new characters who slotted in fine) but it all made perfect sense and came together wonderfully.
  • PierrePressure 11 May 2020 14:37:08 1,070 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Brothers - 8/10

Lovely little game with controls that were occasionally clever and infuriating in equal measure.

Bit depressing too.
  • Rhaegyr 11 May 2020 14:37:10 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

FROM at the absolute top of their game. The combat is unparalelled, the sense of place is astounding and the 'leanness' of the game gives it a singular focus that is executed perfectly.

I've never bothered with achievements or trophies, ever. I finished this and dived straight back in to complete it another two times. I've got my first ever Platinum and still want to play it.

I love Demon's, Dark, Nioh, Bloodborne, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden etc. but this may sit at the top of the pile. Astounding.

10/10
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 11 May 2020 15:02:48 32,458 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mad Max

Saw this in my list of Playstation Plus games I had never played and thought I'd always fancied it, so why not? I had held off as I suspected it's the sort of map icon clearing game that'd consume all my gaming time. I was right :p

I really enjoyed it. There wasn't much depth to it gameplay wise, as play for an hour and you'd seen almost everything the game has to offer, but if that core gameplay loop clicks with you it really is very addictive chasing that scrap and parts to upgrade your lovely car and your lovely Max. It captures that feel of tearing around a wasteland in a bunch of scrap parts held together only with hopes and prayers.

That said it's way longer than it needs to be. I get that they wanted a large map to make it feel like a real huge wasteland, but they didn't have to fill so much of it with so many icons to clear. As I say though, I enjoyed it enough to stick with it, so it must've been doing something right :)
  • Mola_Ram 11 May 2020 15:10:09 23,685 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mad Max was much better than Just Cause 3. I hate that that's the case; I love the Just Cause series. But it's true.
  • waggy79 11 May 2020 16:33:40 2,251 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I enjoyed them both and still occasionally put them on today. I just hope they didnt kill the franchise with Just Cause 4. Now that was bad.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 11 May 2020 17:40:07 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I enjoyed Mad Max too, the setting and atmosphere were top notch imho. The one gripe I had that boss fights were kind of same-y.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 17:40:40 11-05-2020
  • Zippity-zap 12 May 2020 02:17:42 537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    Sniper Elite 4 (PS4)

A year or so ago I abandoned this game but restarted recently and something clicked. So glad it did as its rather good. The slow motion bullet tracking as you nail a target through the lung, head ect never gets old.

I'd start out stealthy but once or twice cover was blown especially if blowing something up. Rather than reload a game save I'd see it through and it actually made things a little easier as they'd come to you and then you can get the documents you need without having to sneak about.

Don't normally mention loading times but this is probably one of the fastest loading games I've played in awhile.
    I had a great time with this title last year, and would definitely double dip if they ever released it on switch.

Hey, everybody probably already knows this, but players can actually tag corpses that are holding intel/collectibles/supplies. Super useful mechanic.
  • PierrePressure 12 May 2020 10:05:39 1,070 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Halo 5 Single Player

I enjoyed it for what it was, think the basic gameplay loop is getting a little stale now though.

Might be in need of a reboot soon.

7/10
  • uiruki 12 May 2020 11:02:03 5,196 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    14. Red Matter - Oculus Quest - 3/5

A short and easy puzzler, but pretty good. Looks amazing on the Quest - a good example of what you can do with a bit of clever planning and some trickery - I particularly liked the effect on your laser beam and some of the background effects like the privacy glass on some of the doors. Excellent atmosphere, and I really liked the way the investigation board in the pause menu updated based on the information you find in the word. Gets a bit too clever for its own good though, and doesn't quite stick the ending. The whole thing's undermined a bit by some terrible voice acting though to its credit I was second guessing whether it was meant to be rubbish.
  • Darth_Flibble 12 May 2020 19:07:34 4,240 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Deliver us the moon

On one hand, its walking simulator with a bit more to do than the usual games in the genre. The graphics and sound work really well and its worth a play if you have gamepass or get it cheap. Early on there is a really shitty bit where you have float through electric sparks and its really crap (no checkpoint) Also the X Y controls need the sensitivity boosted to 8 at least, at 5 the default its awful

Also a really shit stealth bit later on, its worth looking up how to get past that section than rather than dying over and over. Its just hiding behind things but don't put stealth in non stealth games

gamepass/10 is the score I would give it - its better than Kona I also recently finished on gamepass
  • richarddavies 13 May 2020 12:16:59 7,660 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Completed Yakuza 0 last night.

This is one of those games where I think I enjoyed it overall, but when I break the game down into parts I think I dislike every bit. When I look back on the story it's just unnecessarily convoluted and too many of the Yakuza characters just behave absolutely nothing like a Yakuza would do.

I think I actually hate the combat system. Like a real, actual hatred of it. I could ramble all day about the things I dont like so I'll just say it sucks donkey balls.

There's alot to do I suppose. Took me a good 30 hours and that was while avoiding most of the side mission stuff.

The characters themselves I liked though. I think that's just a general fondness for them as I've played a few of these now in the past.

7/10 or a 2/10 I cant make my mind up.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 12:23:07 28,818 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Completed Yakuza 0 last night.

This is one of those games where I think I enjoyed it overall, but when I break the game down into parts I think I dislike every bit. When I look back on the story it's just unnecessarily convoluted and too many of the Yakuza characters just behave absolutely nothing like a Yakuza would do.

I think I actually hate the combat system. Like a real, actual hatred of it. I could ramble all day about the things I dont like so I'll just say it sucks donkey balls.

There's alot to do I suppose. Took me a good 30 hours and that was while avoiding most of the side mission stuff.

The characters themselves I liked though. I think that's just a general fondness for them as I've played a few of these now in the past.

7/10 or a 2/10 I cant make my mind up.
    C'mon beating 7 shades of shit out of Kuze never gets old :)
  • richarddavies 13 May 2020 12:32:27 7,660 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aww yeah, Kuze! Why the fuck do you have to fight the same guy about 5 times? Theres only about 6 bosses in the whole game and 4not them are Kuze. Shithouse.

All this bitching about it and I know full well I'm gonna be playing kiwami before long.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 May 2020 12:40:47 10,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @richarddavies why did you avoid the best bits of the game?
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 13:32:14 28,818 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Aww yeah, Kuze! Why the fuck do you have to fight the same guy about 5 times? Theres only about 6 bosses in the whole game and 4not them are Kuze. Shithouse.

All this bitching about it and I know full well I'm gonna be playing kiwami before long.
    It's awesome, I never tire of battering him :)
    Kiwami is great too but tbh it's not as good as 0, I've only played 0,1 Kiwami, 2 Kiwami and 4 (years ago) but 0 is definitely the best so far.
    I just bought the remastered trilogy and 6 in the PSN sale so I'll be playing through them all soon(well, not soon because I have at least 70 more hours of Persona 5 Royal :(
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 May 2020 13:43:55 3,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @richarddavies why did you avoid the best bits of the game?
    I was just thinking the same thing. You need to play the crazy sidestories as a nice balance to the main story (and throw in miniga. mes as appropriate if you enjoy them)
  • Mola_Ram 13 May 2020 13:58:29 23,685 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the side bits are absolutely brilliant. They're completely nuts, and no matter how nuts they are the stupid heartwarming music track plays at the end of them and that just makes it funnier.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 14:04:52 28,818 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also really enjoy the combat, mostly for the comic value, especially when you unlock the bystander silliness.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 14:06:01 28,818 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The photography of models in bikinis in Kiwami 2 was a bit...unexpected, especially as it was real video.

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 14:06:16 13-05-2020
  • Rhaegyr 13 May 2020 16:04:35 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really enjoyed Yakuza 0 but can't really disagree with the combat being pants and the story being a little convoluted. My biggest gripe was the maid minigame which wasn't half as fun (or lucrative) as the property side.
  • Mola_Ram 13 May 2020 16:08:22 23,685 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What exactly was wrong with the Yakuza 0 combat? I keep hearing people talk about how crap it is, and it's like they're speaking in a completely different language.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.