Recently Completed Games Page 627

• Rhaegyr 13 May 2020 16:25:14 5,038 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just a bit button mashy and not in a good way - there's barely any tactics or strategy to it. After the initial rush in the first 10 hours or so it felt fairly rote. The 'finishers' always remained fun though.

Wished it was more similar to Sleeping Dogs.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 16:28:32 28,692 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Breaking a bicycle over some chumpís head is never bad. Nor Is kicking them off a bridge into a canal.
  • Rum_Monkey 14 May 2020 13:56:59 607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Links Awakening switch

Never got to finish it on the OG Gameboy as a friend borrowed and lost it. The art style is how I imagined it looking all those years ago and it's amazing how faithful it is to the game. Still holds up really well with good secrets and dungeons.

The last level in the egg is a bit underwhelming and the end is a bit meh but the journey to get there is great.

8/10
  • dai_bonehead 14 May 2020 22:43:40 485 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wolfenstein 2.

Itís alright. Apart from Anyaís gratuitous topless scene.

6.5 out of 10.
  • dai_bonehead 14 May 2020 22:43:40 485 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wolfenstein 2.

Itís alright. Apart from Anyaís gratuitous topless scene.

6.5 out of 10.
  • uiruki 14 May 2020 23:49:01 5,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    15. Nioh 2 - PS4 - 5/5

Yeah, it's similar to the last one but there's a lot new and the whole thing just moves along at a really high speed. The extra moves you get in your demon form as well as the demon core system make staying on the attack even easier and I'd say the whole thing moves about 15-20% faster than the original.

The story's a fun romp through most of the Warring States period as you follow Hideyoshi Toyotomi around. Lots of names from Japanese history and folklore, including some unexpected ones (and a great pun near the end which won't mean anything to non-Japanese speakers). Mostly great voice cast too but mixed results with the 'names' they got in for the main two roles; Naoto Takenaka does a decent job but the model they used for Mumyo was terrible - she's no Emi Takei.

I did find it occasionally frustrating but in the end I was always able to tip the balance in my favour. Compared to the predecessor it's a lot less keen on throwing multiple difficult enemies at you, rather preferring to just make sure that what it does throw at you still need to be properly controlled. Particularly in the back half it has NPCs tagging along with you as well, making for a quite different experience compared to the original. You can also summon CPU controlled player characters but I find that while often useful in levels at splitting enemy aggro, especially towards the end they were much less useful on bosses as they tended to die very quickly to magic attacks in particular. By then, though, I has become accustomed enough to the game mechanics that I didn't end up stuck in any of these encounters for very long so it was a surprisingly smooth experience. That doesn't mean I still didn't die a lot though - for a good chunk of the game I was in a position where anything more than a light tap from an enemy would take at least half my health.

Still plenty to do in the game - but I think I'll be waiting for the inevitable complete edition for my PC. I could definitely go through this again and I have a friend who would probably be up for rushing through the first loop at least in coop.

Ultimately it's one of those games that I've been chipping away at for a few weeks and it'll probably be staying with me for a while yet. Don't get too many of those.

Edited by uiruki at 00:07:00 15-05-2020
  • Gunzberg 14 May 2020 23:53:28 2,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dungeon Siege Collection. Was recently 2.99 GBP on GOG so I played through the lot.

Dungeon Siege 1 - aged poorly, repetitive, too long, minimal plot 6/10
    Dungeon Siege 2 - vast improvement but pain too play without mods and massive pain to get mods to work. Still much better 7.5/10

Dungeon Siege 3 - apparently this was massively slated but I freaking loved it Beautiful game world, decent plot, awesome levels of customization and equipment trade-offs, great skills, quite a decent length with the DLC. Fabulous fun to play. 8.5/10 Needs a few quality of life improvements and it would have been a 9/10 for it was just sheer pleasure from start to finish. Also, a game by Obsidian that crashed 0 times and had 0 bugs :o
  • Ror 15 May 2020 17:07:21 19,968 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Final Fantasy VII Remake

Finally finished it. I'm very mixed. It's far, far too long - honestly, I think you could cut it in half and it'd improve it dramatically. I don't quite understand how they decided to focus just on Midgar, and then failed to capitalise on the potential there. Instead, they filled it with new minor characters no one will give a shit about in three weeks, a load of basic sidequests, and plenty of backtracking. There were times I was begging for it to end.

On the plus side, I really like the cast. I feel like the dev team for the most part understood who these characters were in the original game, without letting their later appearances in things like Kingdom Hearts colour their image of them.

The battle system is mostly good, though I would make some changes. For a start, I wish your AI-controlled party members were better at building ATB, because sometimes it doesn't make much sense to switch characters when you're trying to do something with one you're already controlling. Perhaps some sort of selectable programming would do the trick - not necessarily FFXII's gambits or anything, but maybe more along the lines of the routines you can select for each character in the Tales of series. Additionally, I wish you could create and switch out materia sets; there are times where you are frequently switching party members, and then having to go into the menu and move materia around a piece at a time.

The soundtrack is a highlight, though there are a couple of pieces that would feel right at home in FFXIII. This isn't necessarily a negative for me as I love XIII's OST (and obviously Masashi Hamauzu worked on both), but they do stand out a bit as they feel so FFXIII. Somewhat related to that is the final playable area before the ending, which really feels like it belongs in XIII or one of its sequels, and I didn't like it much at all.

There's some nice fanservicey bits spread throughout the game, and I'm aware that they were my favourite parts of it, but the initial thrill of, "I wonder how they're going to adapt this awesome bit from the original" eventually becomes, "I wonder how they're going to change that awesome bit from the original," because they decide to change some things up seemingly for no reason; I mostly enjoyed the Shinra HQ, but it changes up things around the party getting imprisoned and President Shinra's ultimate fate, and I don't know why. The end point is the same, but I don't think the build-up is handled as well.

This applies to Sephiroth as well. We see so much of him in this, whereas he was never seen at all in Midgar in the original. I liked that he's completely anonymous until the very end of that section, and then he starts to come into focus towards the end of Shinra HQ. Even then, you only ever see what he's done. In this, you see him for the first time right after the first bombing run. It feels like the Remake team didn't understand what made him so effective in the original. In Remake, he's Advent Children Sephiroth.

As for the ending? I'm really not sure how I feel about it yet. It seems to undo some things that happened in the original, and it's left me feeling that I don't really know what's going to happen in the next part. And I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that yet.

One thing I am sure of, is that I hope they reign themselves in and don't stretch six hours out into 40 again. It's not a good idea.

NO SCORE

Edited by Ror at 17:25:36 15-05-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2020 21:07:43 8,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - 8/10

Yep, I just finished it too. The 8/10 score's a bit of a stab in the dark. At times, this felt like a 10. At other times, it felt like a 4. Having reached the end, I liked it a good bit more than I disliked it, but the flaws are too big to ignore.

I'll start with the stuff I liked. It looks and sounds superb. In visual and storytelling terms, it's pretty much everything I'd want from the early part of an FF7 remake. The characters look exactly how I thought they should with a modern update (and much better than their Advent Children versions). They're very well fleshed out compared to their old versions; Barret comes off as properly-crazy at times, Aerith is surprisingly funny in a low-key way and the minor Avalanche members are a likeable bunch. Tifa has a massive rack.

They absolutely nail the big iconic scenes from the Midgar section of the original. But more than that, they also properly capture the weird, quirky, silly stuff from the original... the squatting contests, the crossdressing, the cheesy-but-awesome lines (Aerith's "A LOCAL FLORIST" line near the end cracked me up).

And the new story additions mostly work well for me. I like getting to spend more time with the rest of Avalanche. I definitely like the new meta-plot, which is difficult to talk about here without going into spoilers, but which I'll just say leaves me more excited for part 2 than a straight remake would have done.

But there are problems. Oh my, there are problems...

The combat system isn't great. It shares the flaw of too many recent Final Fantasy combat systems in prioritising visual flair over gameplay. Worse, the camera and controls don't really work for the combat system they've gone for. Blocks and dodges feel unresponsive. The camera often makes it hard to see both your character and the target and the auto-lock has a habit of switching between every enemy except the one right in front of you. On normal difficulty, battles just take too long. Even minor encounters drag on, thanks to an over-use of enemy immunities and status-ailment spam. Some of the big one-on-one boss fights work better, but those are the exception. And even bosses often feel needlessly prolonged, with massive health bars and cutscenes between phases (often taking away your ability to pile on the damage). The stagger system returns from FF13 and can frankly fuck off and die.

And a lot of minor areas from the original game have been expanded too far. Dangerous areas that were just one or two screens are now dungeons that can take an hour or more. This doesn't just get tedious, but it detracts from the pacing of the game and sadly ends up undermining a couple of key sequences by robbing them of any sense of urgency.

All told, the game feels needlessly prolonged. There are probably 20 hours of greatness in a 40 hour game. A lot of people wondered how they'd stretch Midgar to a full game. It turns out, they just went for masses of padding.

Overall, I liked it and am excited for part 2, but I really, really hope they can fix some of those flaws.
  • uiruki 16 May 2020 11:52:47 5,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    16. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - PC - 4/5

Solid exploration game, in the end. Not too sure about the game balance though - in the beginning it felt fiddly and a little frustrating but I could practically fly by the end. The combat still felt imprecise and lacking impact throughout, but it was at least better than the predecessor. Not enough buttons to assign to abilities, either. Really nice graphics, especially once they fixed up the performance, and good sound. Looking forward to what comes next from Moon.

Edited by uiruki at 11:53:45 16-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 16 May 2020 16:49:17 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Terminator Resistance

I've been struggling with getting into games recently, but this one, despite being far from great, managed to keep my attention. Everything about it was adequate, the story was predictable and the gameplay quite old school for an FPS. But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

7/10
  • Mythica 16 May 2020 17:34:06 118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - remaster

The weakest in the series, but by no means terrible

6/10
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2020 20:47:09 9,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Trials of mana 8/10

A really good video game. It is a remake on a game from 35+ years ago, so some of the writing is very simple and the overarching plot is very shallow , but there was enough To hold onto for the 20+ hours of completion and everything moves with a nice pace that made playing fun.

On annoyance was the RNG relating to getting the second class change but it didnít take any additional grinding fo get all the ??? Seeds I needed.

Anyway game was fun.
  • neil74 17 May 2020 08:34:08 2,330 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Last of Us Remastered.

Played the original on the PS3 a long time ago so it was almost like playing a new game,

Combat could do with some work (especially how NPCs behave) but honestly I think the game is a masterpiece.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 May 2020 09:12:52 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @neil74
    Are you playing the dlc as well ? Totally worth it. Only a month until 2, can't wait.
  • uiruki 17 May 2020 11:59:13 5,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    17. One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 - PC - 1/5

Genuinely disappointing. A step back in pretty much every area compared to the excellent third game. The new limited scenery destruction is good but only seemingly in a limited number of levels. I only ended up enjoying using one character, and others like Jinbei and Nami who I enjoyed in 3 felt extremely weak in comparison. It feels like these licensed Musou games are working the opposite way to how I expected; usually the sequels improve things after a shaky first game. This was a massive regression, and yet Persona 5 Scramble is excellent (albeit extremely long!)

I'm also going to take out my frustration on the embarrassingly poor translation here - the reason why I've knocked this down to a 1. It's absolutely full of errors and was seemingly translated by a disparate group of first-year students, judging by the basic grammar errors and mistranslated dialogue. I was spotting a translation error pretty much once every few minutes in the back half, ranging from getting the subject and the object of a sentence mixed up, botched idioms, just plain not understanding the meaning of words, reversing the meaning of words and even leaving a Japanese in-universe term untranslated right in the ending cutscene. It genuinely reminds me of the dreadful crap I used to turn in when I was doing my first classes in translation - and then I had the excuse that prose is usually written in longer form. The producer responsible for this should be ashamed. The original writing isn't exactly amazing in the first place, with the plot culminating in a literal fan fiction episode at the end, but if it's for something which people will pay money for then you should take some pride in what you do.

I bought this on PC and didn't have access to the original Japanese text because they didn't feel like putting it in (likely because it cost half as much as the PS4 version on PSN) but I genuinely feel that the shoddy translation detracted enough from the experience that I should have put in the extra money and dealt with the inevitable PS4 technical issues. Next time I'll just buy it on console - second hand of course.
  • neil74 17 May 2020 12:33:48 2,330 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I played left behind also the first time around, but yes am going to play it again
  • mrcrumley 17 May 2020 18:34:11 602 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Due to being furloughed and having a 4 year old who's recently discovered a love for gaming we've completed a fair few co-op games

Rayman legends - got to be one of the all-time great platformers .. would love to see a new one. 4 year old loved it too.

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean - we also loved this, finished the stories but still so much to do

Lego Batman 2 - see above!

Lego Marvel Superheroes - see above!

All good wholesome fun
  • PierrePressure 17 May 2020 18:39:17 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lego marvel superheroes was the first game I completed 100% with my 6 year old. Such good fun, shame the sequel didn't really live up to the first.

Lego dimensions was another decent co-op game, we were gutted when they stopped making the sets.
  • PierrePressure 17 May 2020 18:39:18 1,036 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lego marvel superheroes was the first game I completed 100% with my 6 year old. Such good fun, shame the sequel didn't really live up to the first.

Lego dimensions was another decent co-op game, we were gutted when they stopped making the sets.
  • mrcrumley 17 May 2020 19:03:56 602 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PierrePressure

Interesting as I was going to pick up the sequel I'll probably give it a miss. Did you give the avengers one a go?
  • kentmonkey 17 May 2020 19:38:37 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can your two actually play Lego Marvel Superheroes and "help" or were they basically just going off doing something and losing their lives constantly?

I seem to spend the whole game saying "no, shoot the gold chest.... The gold chest...... No the GOLD chest....... Look just there on the right.....THE GOLD CHEST..... Oh just give me the controller" with my five year old and wondering if I'm being a bit harsh.

We have fun all the while it's just bashing things, but as soon as it needs him to actually do something specific, with instruction even, it falls apart.
  • uiruki 17 May 2020 21:23:02 5,153 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    18. Ryu ga Gotoku 3 - PS4 - 3/5

Tough one to rate as I still really like it - and the story is really good - but man, it's a rough game to actually play. Stiff ingame animation, clunky interface and a combat system that's not quite there yet are made up for by an interesting story and some really good character moments. As much as it was cutting edge for Japanese games in 2008 it really feels its age but I still think it's worth playing, for the story if nothing else.
  • mrcrumley 18 May 2020 00:03:48 602 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kentmonkey there has definitely been a lot of guidance but he has definitely figured bits out on his own before me (which may well say more about me than him) and has improved. Wouldn't be convinced that he could do a whole level on his own though.

Edited by mrcrumley at 00:06:20 18-05-2020
  • kentmonkey 18 May 2020 07:59:43 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @mrcrumley that sounds similar then. Thanks.

I think I'm just too quick to get frustrated, which I need to be more conscious of. I still have to get the bloody gold brick for getting the required amount of Lego studs for example. 😂

I think the issue is me, rather than him.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 May 2020 08:20:43 24,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I'm busy playing through the Lego Marvel game with my boy and it's equal parts joy and frustration. The Ninjago one even more so as that's a bit more difficult.

Surprised to hear Rayman being mentioned though, I thought that would be too difficult to play with a 5 year old, I'll give it a go.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 May 2020 08:40:30 15,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech

This is a card based RPG and it has been a long time since I played one. Mechanically it seemed really good and I enjoyed the battles.

I did not like the characters and story much though and quickly got bored by the writing.

Good game but weaker than the other Steamworld games (especially Heist which is brilliant).

7/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.