Following Recently Completed Games Page 628

• mrcrumley 18 May 2020 08:42:38 608 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kentmonkey it is hard and I definitely get frustrated and most of the time it isn't really necessary!

Re Rayman it's got a great gimmick when you die you go into a bubble and the other player has to pop you so it does make progression a bit easier as you can just leave them in the bubble for the tougher bits.
  • uiruki 19 May 2020 00:35:14 5,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    19. Lone Echo - PC - 5/5

Wow! This really knocked me for a loop. Earlier I talked about Red Matter having great atmosphere; this does everything so much better. Top drawer voice acting, high quality art and a zero-gravity setting which would only work in VR. Floating around, pulling yourself about using your surroundings and adjusting yourself using your boosters becomes second nature by the end and I found I was navigating around really smoothly and precisely. That didn't stop me from actually panicking at the end to the point where I lost all hand-eye co-ordination though; it takes a lot to get me to that point.

After the climax I looked it up and saw there's a sequel coming. Can't wait. A 'premium' experience and one that hasn't come down in price but one that's worth it if you're in PC VR; it's still around 6 hours worth which I think is fair enough for the price. The multiplayer's supposed to be very good as well.

Edited by uiruki at 00:35:49 19-05-2020
  • jonathanlealand 19 May 2020 10:43:50 85 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RE2, fourth run, Leon B.

Phenomenal game. Atmosphere and tension just perfect. GOTgen contender for me. Will mop up the extras and then move onto the supposedly disappointing RE3

Edited by jonathanlealand at 10:44:10 19-05-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 19 May 2020 17:05:37 4,443 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    X-com 2

Overall it was really good, the game still has issues like crashing on loading screen, frame rates drops in the alien autopsy video screen and also frame rate drops in loading screen when it shows your soldiers in the jet

But it still great when you plan your ambush and gun down the aliens. Played it with the aliens rulers DLC installed but the game still puts it into the game despite you unticking the box, really bad game design as shen's gift dlc, you get all the stuff without the mission ticked. If you don't know the aliens rulers are thrown in early (unless tick the box to add the mission) and you have shit equipment at this time, they will beat the shit of your squad as they take a turn everytime you move or fire. Later on when you have beam weapons and acid rounds/grenades, and loads of perks, you can bully the shit of the rulers. Also if you wear their armour, eg normal berserk become panicked by the sight of your RAGE armour

Heard war of the chosen dlc runs like shit on console still, shame as if its offer for just that part i would like to get it

The last mission was a bit lazy with kill 3 avatars with endless spawning enemies, imo spawning enemies are cheap and lazy game design trick when done poorly Managed to beat it rookie, if I play it again, will take some snipers and put them on the high up ledges

8.5/10
  • Graxlar_v3 19 May 2020 20:49:01 10,463 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble you should have Rykartíd it and 1 shot the boss with a 30% chance headshot
  • PazJohnMitch 19 May 2020 21:04:22 16,187 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mars Power Industries

Currently 79p on eShop and a fairly good puzzle game.

6/10
  • MadCaddy13 20 May 2020 18:47:18 3,134 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gears Tactics

Loved this from start to finish.
    Big Gears fan and a big TBS fan too so this is a match made in heaven
    As you may know itís bang on par with Xcom with a few little differences here and there.
    I got to what I thought was the last mission hoping I was wrong because I wanted it to keep going until I looked up the chapters and I indeed was on the last mission.
    I havenít experienced that in a game in a long time where I just didnít want it to end
    Really hoping for some DLC of some sort

9/10

Edited by MadCaddy13 at 18:47:51 20-05-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 20 May 2020 18:49:24 4,443 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

he is a WOTC character? the dlc is on my to by list when in the sale
  • MrFlay 20 May 2020 19:16:18 4,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Evil Within - 8/10

I really like this but it has some major issues. It's basically a direct, unofficial sequel to Resident Evil 4 with more modern controls and stealth mechanics. The early part of the game is made for stealth and is quite creepy and atmospheric. The final third is basically a shooting gallery which I didn't enjoy so much. It feels like the devs either ran out of time or enthusiasm. The story is completely batshit crazy and doesn't make any sense. The action is pretty good and you have a wide range of options when things get shooty. I'm going to try the DLC and I will play the sequel too.
  • Graxlar_v3 20 May 2020 19:19:56 10,463 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3

he is a WOTC character? the dlc is on my to by list when in the sale
    Nah he is Ex giant bomb... they did a long form feature where 3 of the team took turns to play xcom 2. The last episode had them take on the last mission all together and the two others looked on and were telling him not to be a prick and go for the 30% shot, it doesnít work and there are too many other enemies they should be picking off. Only for him to one shot the main boss and win!

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 19:20:13 20-05-2020
  • MrFlay 20 May 2020 19:36:49 4,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mythica

The first two thirds are excellent. The last third really drags.
  • Devilligan 20 May 2020 19:40:55 642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shadow of the Colossus - PS4

Loved the atmosphere, and the colossi.

Found the gameplay loop fine but pretty thin.

Found the clunky controls deeply, deeply annoying.

7 / 10.
  • Humperfunk 20 May 2020 19:45:04 8,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After 14 years, I have finally played and beaten Okami.

10/10, 55 hours of pure excellence. Just amazing.
  • Samildanach 20 May 2020 20:25:50 396 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    After 14 years, I have finally played and beaten Okami.

10/10, 55 hours of pure excellence. Just amazing.
    Yeah, it's a good un. I remember the final dungeon was a bit lacking (just boss fight reruns) but the final battle well and truly made up for it.
  • Zippity-zap 21 May 2020 04:04:34 566 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Void Bastards (switch)

Iíve rinsed this twice through now, and have to adjust my initial score downwards a wee bit.

Yeah: The core game play loop is very satisfying. Tight, tactical, tense. Wonderful visual style, with some decent humour.

Nah: Performance on switch is highly questionable. I experienced quite frequent hitching and frame rate drops in handheld. There is also an extremely annoying bug that pops up once in a while, usually after numerous hectic explosions, wherein the playerís weaponry will just stop doing any damage whatsoever, and the player will also be unable to pick up any loose items or supplies. This necessitates sprinting to the exit, thus resetting the issue to normal upon entering the next ship.
    Also, the price at release is exorbitant, as once you get right down to it, there isnít much content there. The dlc is pretty laughable, offering only a single new enemy type that is barely any different from a certain regular type. It needs 2 or 3 additional enemy types, and more variety in ship environments. This would improve replay value, which is currently pretty average really, and justify the price a bit better.

7/10
  • PierrePressure 21 May 2020 09:28:56 1,154 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Can your two actually play Lego Marvel Superheroes and "help" or were they basically just going off doing something and losing their lives constantly?

I seem to spend the whole game saying "no, shoot the gold chest.... The gold chest...... No the GOLD chest....... Look just there on the right.....THE GOLD CHEST..... Oh just give me the controller" with my five year old and wondering if I'm being a bit harsh.

We have fun all the while it's just bashing things, but as soon as it needs him to actually do something specific, with instruction even, it falls apart.
    I think my lad was a little bit older and he seemed to grasp most of it, if it was too difficult I would just take over :lol:
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 21:48:57 9,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Creatures (C64) - 7.5/10

Played this through tonight thanks to a fit of nostalgia inspired by the Recently Abandoned Games thread. This game really does have nostalgia value for me, as I absolutely loved it when I was a kid. A remember being incredibly hyped for it by the Zzzap64 series on its development, then loving it when I got it. Probably the very first game release I ever actively desired before it came out.

If you grew up in a computers-not-consoles household, games like this were your Mario and Sonic. My parents had no problems with me spending loads of time on computers, as they could have educational uses, but were convinced that the slightest sniff of Nintendo or Sega into the house would turn me into a crack-smoking delinquent (though I did sneak a Game Gear through eventually). So this was as good as platforming got for me 30 years ago (and fuck me, how is this 30 years old?).

And today it holds up... reasonably well. It's no Mario competitor, that's clear now. Movement is stiff and jumping occasionally too finicky for that. Having to jump rather than walk up slopes feels bizarre. But it still looks vibrant (at the time, it was amazing for a C64 game) and the gameplay is filled with inventive little touches. The torture-room puzzle sequences are still funny, albeit more straightforward than I remembered and the game has a pleasantly dark humourous edge throughout.

The difficulty is insane - I never finished it as a kid - so yeah, I used an infinite lives cheat for this one. But even so it still nearly broke me in places - certain sections took me dozens of goes to get past. The last couple of levels are insane and I have no idea how you were supposed to beat them with a life-limit and lengthy tape-loading pauses between levels.

Feels curiously satisfying to have beaten a game that saw me off 30 years ago. Even if I did cheat.
  • wuntyate 21 May 2020 22:49:24 15,270 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's awesome eh. See what i mean about the last part!! There's a graveyard bit with dips and loads of birds (i think, bit hazy) that takes mental precision.
  • Steve-Perry 21 May 2020 23:02:04 1,770 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Why did they make games so bastard hard back then!?

Almost everything was 10x harder than even something like Dark Souls
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 23:14:27 9,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    It's awesome eh. See what i mean about the last part!! There's a graveyard bit with dips and loads of birds (i think, bit hazy) that takes mental precision.
    The birds are FUCKING BASTARDS. That bit took me fuck knows how many attempts to pass. The breakthrough came when I realised they always came down at the same angle, so I could work out their path from the moment their eyes appeared. Still bloody hard, though, and needed insane reactions and precision.

The boss demon before the final torture chamber can also do one.
  • neilka 21 May 2020 23:18:58 23,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:

Because most games had about half an hour's worth of content if you could get through them without dying.
  • JoeBlade 21 May 2020 23:22:42 5,233 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:

Because most games had about half an hour's worth of content if you could get through them without dying.
    Exactly. That's the same reason you had to do certain levels or bosses multiple times, that allowed to stretch the game length without requiring additional assets.

Also, many were conversions of arcade games, which were meant to shake your for all your coins.

Old school difficulty was often not "good" difficulty.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 00:04:48 9,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes, a perfect run of Creatures with no deaths would have taken me less than an hour.
  • Nitrous 22 May 2020 13:26:35 2,077 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    God Of War (2018)

Had this for awhile and decided to start it again after finishing Days Gone.
    Visually impressive and great fun to play and cant wait to see how the next game turns out.

10/10

As it looks like I cant work till September I'm hoping something else can keep my attention long enough to see it through. Maybe Resi Evil 7.
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 13:29:18 20,723 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Nitrous

Do it, Resi 7 is a brilliant return to form.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.