Following Recently Completed Games Page 629

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 14:19:34 9,336 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Turrican (C64) - 8/10

Another one from my trip down nostalgia alley. Never managed to beat this one either as a kid, but having just replayed it with an infinite lives cheat, it seems I did manage to get irritatingly close to the end back then.

It's not exactly suble about where it's borrowing from. Your power-armoured player character transforms into a spinning ball to mow down enemies or fit through narrow gaps, laying mines as it goes. Even back in 1990, it was dangerous to bait Nintendo's lawyers like that.

But despite the Matroid influences, it's actually its own game. It's a linear, level-based game, rather than... well... a Metroidvania, but those levels are large, sprawling and usually have multiple paths to completion. Controls feel smooth and surprisngly modern at times, with a nice degree of air-movement on jumps. Pretty much every level has extensive secrets to find, with these pretty much essential due to the 1-ups they grant when found.

It's a more combat-heavy game than Metroid and combat feels good, with the player able to choose between a range of upgradable weak-ish weapons that can be used while running, or a powerful rotating lightning gun that can only be used while stationary. A half dozen or so bosses mix up the more run-and-gun action and two levels flip the gameplay into a vertically scrolling shooter.

Visuals are at the absolute top end of what could be achieved on 8-bit hardware. Animation is fluid, the multi-directional scrolling is smooth and some of the sprites are huge and well-drawn. Only a couple of levels have background music in the C64 version, but when it's present it's excellent.

It does have a couple of flaws, mainly around its later levels. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between background art and impassable walls, which can make finding paths in the penultimate level a bit flakey. The platforming in some later stages can require irritating pixel-perfection.

But it was clearly a game well ahead of its time and it's aged well today.
  • RichDC 22 May 2020 14:27:11 8,906 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Finally decided to finish the story, though still feel like I have loads of side quests, blades to get and the DLC to go through. Brilliant game. Up there with Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia as my favourite jrpgs.

10/10
  • wuntyate 22 May 2020 14:34:03 15,270 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon You playing Turrican 2 next? Do it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 15:03:29 9,336 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyate That's the plan - probably this evening.
  • Trowel 22 May 2020 16:27:47 23,649 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yoku's Island Express

10/10 on Steam, 84% on Metacritic, even an illustrious EG Recomeded. ...the fuck were people playing?

It's a novel game design and I'm a huge pinball fan, but what I can't abide is a game which deliberately obscures basic navigation of the game map, which this does by sticking flippers everywhere combined with sub-par ball physics. And don't get me started on the slugs. Nice music, and over quickly at least.

5/10
  • Malek86 22 May 2020 19:26:42 10,514 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wasn't a fan of Yoku either. Played for maybe two hours, then dropped it.
  • JoelStinty 22 May 2020 19:31:30 8,970 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dishonoured.

Unbelievably this game is 8 years old already but it doesnít really show it. Thereís a lot to to enjoy about the game, it as a nice simplicity to it, whilst also offering options if people wish to delve a little deeper. Game does reach a zenith (story wise, gameplay and even player motivation) and kind of falls away and even ends abruptly, which is a shame as so much good work as done into the world building and immersing you within it but for 90% of its days of its running time its an engaging game with a strong identity and stealth action.

Still looks good today.

4/5
  • Bichii 22 May 2020 19:39:26 3,457 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh I love the dishonoured games so much. I remember on my second run on 2 I kinda broke the last level as I killed the last target when I shouldn't have really been able to be in that area yet. :). I should re buy 1 actually as I haven't played it since the Xbox days.
  • Vortex808 22 May 2020 19:41:57 14,008 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mythica wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @wuntyate That's the plan - probably this evening.
    Turrican 2 had some excellent music on the Amiga.
    Ah, I loved that back then. Hope it's held up well enough!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 20:29:02 9,336 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Turrican 2 (C64) - 8.5/10

Pretty much a straight sequel to Turrican. Essentially more of the same, but more polished. Combat is streamlined a bit, with the morph-ball now unlimited use and the lightning gun being faster to activate and aim. Level design has more of a flow to it. The vertical-scrolling shooter section from the original becomes a much better side-scroller.

It felt a bit shorter than the first game and the difficulty is maybe a bit lower. Several of the bosses have fairly obvious safe-spots where you can stand to avoid damage.

Techically, it gets about as much from the C64 as any game ever managed.
  • wuntyate 22 May 2020 21:10:21 15,270 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a brilliant game. The bosses are great. Giant walkers, wall slammy thing, giant turret ect. The second ship level where the large boss ships fly in the foreground before you fight them both is immense. Amiga version fucked that bit and the ensuing fight up.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 May 2020 21:17:30 16,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Really enjoyed this and 100%d it. Fair bit easier than Returns but still a good challenge. Did a really good job of making me feel like I was good at platform games. Something Rayman Legends did brilliantly too (and Yooka Laylee failed miserably at).

Unlike Returns the controls also felt really tight this time.

8/10
  • JoelStinty 23 May 2020 09:56:05 8,970 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fix
  • Dombat 23 May 2020 14:25:36 1,788 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Death Stranding

I liked this more than I thought I would. The open world elements are quite compelling considering it's mostly a grind. The big open world segments give you a steady stream of new equipment which adds convenience to the various encounters and traversal. The game does start to outstay its welcome towards the latter chapters, although at least the game picks up its pace towards the end.

The story is ok - there was enough curiosity there to drive me to complete it but I think if I didn't enjoy the bulk of the gameplay and was only playing for the story I would have considered it a big let down.

The standout weak points of the game are the boss fights, which vary from boring to outright frustrating.

Pleased I played it which I suppose is the main thing.

7/10

Edited by Dombat at 14:25:54 23-05-2020
  • Fourwisemen 24 May 2020 11:12:08 935 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jedi: Fallen Order

Likes;

For the most part theyíve really excelled at creating a sense of place with the environments and the sound design and this kept me in the game to completion when some of the annoyances were kicking in.

The combat can be fun, when you get it right, parrying shots from blasters was fine because of the visual cues, and no doubt you can feel like a badass.

I liked a lot of the character work, if not Kal necessarily.

Dislikes;

The sliding sections, seriously, go fuck yourself. Totally inconsistent control to this that ruined what could have been fun.

No auto stim, not even with an upgrade.

Opening boxes that only ever give cosmetics. I had to do it because they were there but a sense that these were intended as a loot box mechanic.

Locked boxes, why the hell ask BB to slice it and then have to ask to unlock it stupid, stupid, stupid design. If Iím slicing it, just fucking open it, Iím not doing the first bit for no reason.

Some poor environmental signposting.

Difficulty;

I may not be the best person to judge this, never to have played a souls like game, but I found it so inconsistent and frustrating. Getting parry timing on melee attacks seemed to happen by accident rather than good timing. Better tutorials on this would have been appreciated.

I played on Jedi Knight until the last maybe 15% of the game And dropped it to story just so I could rattle through it, another annoyance was the difference between the two felt too big.

Summary

I wanted to like it more than I did, when it clicked I thought it was great, but when some unseen creature knocked me off a ledge I wanted to crush the controller.

6/10

Edit...... I for got respawn times.... if your company is called respawn entertainment, and you put that front and centre and have to push a in order to get back into the game, seriously, donít keep the player waiting for 30 seconds each time. Arrrggh...

Edited by Fourwisemen at 11:15:46 24-05-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 24 May 2020 11:16:57 10,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hyper light drifter 7/10

It was good fun to play but I spent my entire time with it not really understanding what was happening. There is a lot of secret stuff I missed... I think but I donít really know what the point of it was so ignored it. The upgrades were rubbish too!
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 May 2020 11:22:12 8,196 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Turrican (C64) - 8/10

Another one from my trip down nostalgia alley. Never managed to beat this one either as a kid, but having just replayed it with an infinite lives cheat, it seems I did manage to get irritatingly close to the end back then.

It's not exactly suble about where it's borrowing from. Your power-armoured player character transforms into a spinning ball to mow down enemies or fit through narrow gaps, laying mines as it goes. Even back in 1990, it was dangerous to bait Nintendo's lawyers like that.

But despite the Matroid influences, it's actually its own game. It's a linear, level-based game, rather than... well... a Metroidvania, but those levels are large, sprawling and usually have multiple paths to completion. Controls feel smooth and surprisngly modern at times, with a nice degree of air-movement on jumps. Pretty much every level has extensive secrets to find, with these pretty much essential due to the 1-ups they grant when found.

It's a more combat-heavy game than Metroid and combat feels good, with the player able to choose between a range of upgradable weak-ish weapons that can be used while running, or a powerful rotating lightning gun that can only be used while stationary. A half dozen or so bosses mix up the more run-and-gun action and two levels flip the gameplay into a vertically scrolling shooter.

Visuals are at the absolute top end of what could be achieved on 8-bit hardware. Animation is fluid, the multi-directional scrolling is smooth and some of the sprites are huge and well-drawn. Only a couple of levels have background music in the C64 version, but when it's present it's excellent.

It does have a couple of flaws, mainly around its later levels. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between background art and impassable walls, which can make finding paths in the penultimate level a bit flakey. The platforming in some later stages can require irritating pixel-perfection.

But it was clearly a game well ahead of its time and it's aged well today.
    Turrican was one of the first games for me back in the days that felt like proper AAA - especially in terms of playability.

You should give the Mega Drive (the Factor 5 version) and Super Nintendo versions a go. They're both really good.
  • [maven] 24 May 2020 16:33:36 5,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (PS4), 40-ish hours

Bought it on sale for Ä20, and had a lot of fun with it (playing solo entirely ó I have no friends). Can't judge how bad it was at launch, but seemed totally OK now.

I even kind of enjoyed the story and setting after all, even though it leaves things a bit too open-ended for DLC episodes for my taste.

For that price and the current gaming drought, recommended if you like open-world sneaky-shooty stuff. 7/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 May 2020 12:33:31 9,336 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maneater (PC) - 6.5/10

This is a tough one to score. I had quite a lot of fun with it at times. Exploring the different environments as a big-ass shark is fun, the way your shark grows as it levels up is kinda cool and the low-budget reality show trappings are great. I particularly like the way it gives you a sense of moving up the food chain. In my first 30 minutes in the game (after the tutorial section), alligators were a major threat I had to run from. Then they became challenging but killable. Then they became trash mobs I'd munch on for a quick health boost.

Unfortunately, there are some big problems as well. Combat tends to devolve into simple button-mashing, hampered by terrible camera controls with no proper target lock function. This makes fighting multiple enemies at once fiddly and frustating. Fortunately, the difficulty is pretty low and I only took a couple of deaths all game, usually when I got into a fight with too many enemies at once.

Also, the pacing of the game feels a bit off. It's not a long game - the end credits pegged my playtime at a shade under 9 hours. But I'd estimate I was level-capped for the last 3 hours of that. Having been thorough with exploration early on, I easily ended up over-levelled, to the point that it barely felt worth exploring the last two zones.

There's a fair degree of jankiness as well. Some of this is almost certainly deliberate and adds to the game's charm. But the wild framerate dips when activating certain lighting effects (for instance when eating an albino creature) were less impressive, particularly given the game isn't remotely taxing on the hardware the rest of the time. On PC, I had no crashes, but I note console players (XB1 in particular) are reporting these.

The big problem with this game is the price. The RRP is £35, for a game which is fairly short, has limited replay value and often approaches Goat Simulator levels of jankiness. I got it for £10 off in the EGS sale, but it still feels over-priced at that. At a £15 sale price, I'd probably have upped the score to an 8.

Ultimately, it's worth playing, but wait for a sale or for it to show up on Game Pass.
  • AddyB- 25 May 2020 12:58:55 916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Rogueywon

Cheers for the thoughts. I expect this may drop quite fast. I will probably go for it around the £18 mark.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 May 2020 14:40:19 9,336 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC) - 9/10

Second completion today. Finished a singleplayer campaign as Wei (Cao Cao). Obviously there's a lot more to do in the game, but I think that counts as completion as per the requirements of this thread.

It's really good. It felt very strange going back to a historical Total War game. The last one I played was Shogun 2, but I've played a hell of a lot of the Warhammer games in the interim. I played TW3K in Romance mode, rather than Records, which keeps some of the Warhammer features, like fancy hero abilities, but the economy is obviously massively more complex than in a Warhammer game and I had a few false starts before I got into a viable campaign.

The difficulty felt high throughout. There were two points where it felt like I was about to lose: once at around the turn 50 mark, when I had enemies on too many borders and once again at around turn 90, when I'd just confederated a huge faction and my economy went to shit. But both times, I pulled it back.

Production values are stellar, with none of the jankiness that sometimes characterised older Total War titles. This has the polish of Warhammer 2 and then some.

Two complaints. First, the UI puts form over function. It's very pretty, but key functions just aren't where you'd expect them. Second, while Total War AI has always cheated, TW3K makes it more obvious than ever. Having a tiny, bankrupt enemy faction recruit up army after army is just daft.

But overall, an excellent game. Next step, stick the Koihime Musou mod on and play it as Lu Bei/Ryubi.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 25 May 2020 15:19:00 32,613 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really want to play that but I fear it'd get to the point where I just want to get on the ground and do stuff myself, Dynasty Warriors style. Don't think that'd fit the theme they're going for :p
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 May 2020 16:56:33 9,336 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People always over-complicate Kojima's games.

• HarryPalmer 25 May 2020 18:45:19 6,166 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Zelda Breath of the Wild - 8/10

A bit late to the party on this one. I can understand the praise for this, and I wouldn't argue with someone saying its a masterpiece, it's clearly a great game, but it left me cold.

The first 20 hours are a joy: exploring, getting to know the systems and what's possible is marvelous. The freedom to explore and approach problems has been rightly praised, although you don't really get to use the systems in innovative ways very often. It looks, on the whole, really nice, but the draw distance is a big problem.

Then I realized that there was no story, and the nitpicks started to mount up. The story is a problem for me, I didn't care about the world or anyone in it, and the game didn't go out of its way to change that. Sure, that's a personal thing, but I like an RPG to have a really strong story that compels me to explore and push forward.

The main quests consist of finding memory locations and doing a puzzle/boss four times, that's it. The side quests are a bit more varied, but still uniformly quite dull, with the odd exception. It doesn't feel like an epic adventure, in fact it feels like Link is wasting time!

The weapon durability is a terrible design decision. There is no joy in discovering a new weapon because a) you've seen it before, and b) it will break after a few fights.

I had fun but was glad to complete it.
  • Kay 25 May 2020 19:55:45 20,724 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Been on a bit of a retro binge recently.

Pilotwings 64

This was one of my favourite N64 games, so was glad to see it still held up a lot better than many of the other games I tried on the console (hilariously dated graphics aside). The controls are tight, it's still addictive trying to get the highest scores, and the bonus games are quirky and generally fun. Only really let down by a couple of the missions being a bit annoying (mainly Mecha Hawk), and the camera sometimes being a pain, but I ended up getting mostly gold medals again in all of the classes.

I love the series and am always clamouring for a new entry, but tbh, playing this again made me realise that there's not much else they can really do with the premise. It's far too niche to warrant a drastic reinvention, so any new game would just feel like the same with shinier graphics (as the 3DS version showed). So I guess that's it for the series, but it's been a decent run.

8/10

Pikmin (GameCube)

Never played the series before, so wanted to try the first game to see what the fuss was about. And yeah, it's a fun, clever, accessible and cute RTS game, which works mostly well on the GC controller despite some fiddly camera controls. I found the strict 30 day time limit more interesting though - it definitely gives the game a sense of purpose, and it was hugely satisfying planning out a strategy to try and get pieces before the day ends, and seeing it all work out nicely. But it also exacerbated the more frustrating elements of the game, such as Pikmin not always paying attention or just wading into danger, or having to wrestle with the camera during boss battles.

I managed to complete the game with all 30 pieces of the spaceship, although that was with a lot of planning and reloading saves. And I thought the game was the perfect length for what it was, and wondered if it really needed an expanded sequel without the time limit, which would make it lose a lot of the focus and drama that made the game unique, for good or bad...*

8/10

*I've since put a couple of hours into Pikmin 2, and I can say that an expanded sequel without the time limit is probably exactly what it needed. Early days but that game feels so much more liberating and fun, and I think the controls are ever so slightly tighter too. Can't wait to crack on with it.

Edited by Kay at 19:56:39 25-05-2020
  • Lt_Drebin 25 May 2020 21:20:15 283 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Titanfall 2

Took me 3 years (got halfway on an EA access free trial and then picked it up on sale last week) but what a campaign! Up there with Portal 2 in terms of both level design and how the character controls. Leaping about the place as the pilot is such a lot of fun that I enjoyed my time outside the titan just as much, if not more, than charging about the place in my mech.

The story itself worked great, the buddy dynamic is like something straight out of an 80's sci-fi movie, and I found myself far more invested than I normally get with FPS campaigns. It's a crying shame that the franchise seems to be dead now.

Might try the multiplayer if there's still anyone on it.

9/10
  • Fourwisemen 26 May 2020 08:58:59 935 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HarryPalmer

Interesting take, and I totally get your point about the story not exactly compelling you forward.

A different take on this I had though, as a game it took me a while to get into and I think partly because there wasnít a compelling Ďgo do thisí call to action.

After a while though, and this might be a bit pretentious, but it felt your my in the environment was the story, learning the systems, getting the lay of the land, turning left when the next task is really to the right and seeing where you end up.

Iíve still not completed it, my son has it and I want to do the Master Sword Trial before taking on the castle. Iíve spent over 100 hours in the game and still not killed Lynel (they kinda scare me).

I really must steal the cart back off him.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.