Following Recently Completed Games Page 630

• HarryPalmer 26 May 2020 09:38:11 6,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Fourwisemen Itís great, I just didnít connect with it on the same level as say Witcher 3 or even RDR2. But could easily make a case for it being better than both those games. I also think itís a game that you need to take slow, and Iím not very good at that as thereís always something else I want to play! I completed in about 60 hours.
  • Gunzberg 26 May 2020 11:15:44 2,796 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kay God, I loved Pilotwings on the N64.

Totally agree with your score
  • Steve-Perry 26 May 2020 20:49:19 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    FF13 - Lightning Returns. I played this on 360 years ago and fancied a spin.

Like the rest of this series, the story is pretty terrible, but slightly better than the other two. All the characters are as terrible as I remember. Noel is basically Vaan, Lightning is Cloud with tits, Snow is Barrett but with lovely hair, Cauis is Seymour from 10. The moogle needs a kick in the neck. I hate them all very much.

The battle system is different and is OK, though probably not as good as the paradigm shift system. It's needlessly overcomplicated and there are fights where you're just sitting waiting for the bar to reload doing nothing. You would do that with ATB, but at least you could queue up your next attack. With this game you just wait. And wait. Battle pacing is often poor.

Once the main questline is done, it gets really fucking boring yet I had 5 'days' left. I just skipped the lot by sleeping at an inn. You can do sidequests but they are all just fetch this, kill x of that.

Ends with the gang fighting actual god in space and floating around making wisecracks. Even for FF, it stretches credibility.

The final boss is wank too.

Not as good as 13-2, much better than 13.

7/10. For reference, I'd give 13 6/10 and 13-2 8/10.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 20:52:08 26-05-2020
  • Steve-Perry 26 May 2020 20:50:02 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Oh and they should fire whoever decided to make the summons transformers. They look absolutely crap.

And the ending, which I'm watching right now, is absolute guff.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 20:52:44 26-05-2020
  • monsieur-Cosmo 28 May 2020 09:33:01 592 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, I actually completed Mafia 2 Definitive Edition PC (main game). It started to click after a while, and since I'd forgotten most of the story from my first playthrough, it felt kinda fresh. Took only about 13 hours, it's realy not a long game. Not decided on DLC yet, although I already started Joe's Adventures which is also great fun.
    I suspect Mafia 3 DE will be next, which requires much more time to beat...
    Eh, I'd give this 9/10, but only if you're into sort of linear GTA clones.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 11:35:07 29-05-2020
  • Trowel 28 May 2020 20:13:50 23,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    EDF 5 - 7/10

I'm giving it a good rating, because who doesn't love an EDF, but boy does it make itself hard to love:

Positives:
    + Some great new enemies, especially the aliens and humanoids
    + Some genuinely tough levels - I played on normal throughout, as Ranger as usual (boo)
    + Plenty of the usual EDF :)

Negatives:
    - Arguably the best of the new enemies (green ants!) don't appear until right towards the end, and even then are barely used
    - Same old weapons - admittedly I could have picked a different class, but I've never enjoyed using them in the past
    - Length - if ever a game outstayed its welcome... Around level 60 the game feels like it's peaking and about to wrap up, and then......... 110 levels is taking the piss, especially as so many of the later levels are nothing but filler, repeating the same scenarios and patterns
    - Trophies - same as with every EDF to be honest, nigh on impossible and completely unfair - I picked up 2 trophies (a bronze and a silver) in 53 hours

Ngh, puts me off the expansion packs. But I know a couple of years away again and I'll be back for EDF 6...
  • mrpon 28 May 2020 21:39:36 36,224 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    5?! Fuck me, I need to catch up.
  • uiruki 28 May 2020 22:50:24 5,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Brandish - PSP - 4/5

I really wish I'd gotten to this sooner - it's basically a real time DRPG, complete with all the fun gimmicks like warps, spinner tiles and falling between floors.

Even in remake form it still feels a little rough - the battle balance is a little weird, the speed could do with a bit of tweaking and it could do with some more shortcut features - but the main part of the game's solid and it kept me going til the end with varied, interesting dungeon layouts. The music's decent too, but I really wish there was more of it: you end up going through ten floors with each short-ish loop which isn't great.
  • SolidSCB 29 May 2020 09:14:42 12,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Life is Strange 2

A decent little series but wasn't a patch on the original. I got a pretty nice and heart warming ending, which I'm sure is payback from the game giving me three and a half episodes of my whiney little fuck brother disagreeing and ignoring every single thing I had to say when I explicitly looked out for him at every opportunity.

I think I'd have connected with it a bit more if we had got a full episode of the boys being at home before the escape to Mexico began. I found it really hard to feel that arsed about what they were leaving behind when we spent all of ten minutes seeing their lives before the incident. I think it would have been much better set up if the first episode had a bit more Sean, Daniel and Esteban interacting normally, Sean going off to his party and seeing his connections there and then the cliffhanger being the incident that kicks off the chain of events for the rest of the game.

Still, can't say I didn't enjoy it. It really puts the telltale efforts to shame IMO.

7/10
  • Rum_Monkey 29 May 2020 10:44:25 829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I don't think Life is strange hits the heights of telltales TWD, especially the first season.
  • Globalmeltdown 29 May 2020 12:50:43 790 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maneater Xbox 8/10
    Good fun while it lasts
  • JoeBlade 29 May 2020 13:00:26 4,954 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    I don't think Life is strange hits the heights of telltales TWD, especially the first season.
    Funny, I don't know about LIS2/LIS:BtS but I consider the first LIS and S1 of TWD to be way up there as far as this style of game goes. I find it impossible to rate one above the other to be honest, they both have absolutely superb moments.
  • SolidSCB 29 May 2020 13:17:14 12,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TWD S1 on its own is a masterpiece, as is LiS S1. TWD just went to the same well too often, once you work out none of it really changes an awful lot in the grand scheme of things it's hard to care.
  • Rhaegyr 29 May 2020 13:52:16 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd put The Wolf Amongst Us up there with those two seasons, too.

Hell, it deserves to be in there for the fantastically cool intro alone.
  • SolidSCB 29 May 2020 13:56:28 12,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Forgot about Wolf Among Us there. Absolutely deserves to be held in the same regard.
  • PierrePressure 29 May 2020 14:05:43 1,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really loved the story during my time with Wolf Among Us.

Are we still getting the sequel?
  • Rum_Monkey 29 May 2020 14:12:37 829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Are the Telltale Monkey Islands' any good?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 May 2020 14:39:36 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey Meh. If you're up for a slightly bland pastiche of the old Lucasarts games, but without the shit tank controls of the fourth one, they're fine.

I completed them all back in the day, but not much sticks in my memory about them.
  • JamboWayOh 29 May 2020 14:42:56 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:

Apparently so, I hope so because after letting it gather dust in my installed list I absolutely loved it. Personally I think it's Telltale's best work.
  • PazJohnMitch 29 May 2020 14:54:40 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wolf AU was my favourite of the TT games.
  • Rum_Monkey 29 May 2020 15:21:41 829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Rum_Monkey Meh. If you're up for a slightly bland pastiche of the old Lucasarts games, but without the shit tank controls of the fourth one, they're fine.

I completed them all back in the day, but not much sticks in my memory about them.
    Kind of what I was dreading. Its why I never bothered despite it being one of my favourite game series.
  • docrob 30 May 2020 00:35:41 1,565 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Batman: Arkham VR

Very short. Iím sure thereís more to it, with Riddler challenges et al, but I rolled the credits on the story anyway.

Yes, itís essentially a glorified tech demo. But what a tech demo! It makes you Batman, and I love it for that alone. Iím glad I got it for £3.79 though,

6/10
  • Samildanach 30 May 2020 01:49:41 311 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thunder Spirits (Snes)
    One of the few shmup 1cc completions I have achieved. I am gunning for a 1cc in both Thunder Force III and AC (as they are all similar versions of the same game) but those two are proving much harder.
    Spirits is plagued by consistent slowdown throughout, as well as a very fast aurofire which destroys the bosses in seconds, hence the easy win. It contains four levels from the original TF3, two from TF AC and two new exclusive to TSpirits itself (St 6 and 8). Those last two were made by Toshiba EMI when porting the game, rather than Tecnosoft themselves and they certainly miss the adrenaline filled mania of the rest of the levels, so all in all I can safely say this version is the weakest of the three by a country mile. Still had fun mind!
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 07:34:51 25,868 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Uncharted 2 on PS4. It was a slog. I did like the writing and humour however.
    6.5/10
  • docrob 30 May 2020 12:23:40 1,565 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    PierrePressure wrote:

Apparently so, I hope so because after letting it gather dust in my installed list I absolutely loved it. Personally I think it's Telltale's best work.
    It was good enough to make me go and read some of the comics.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 May 2020 18:38:49 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Astral Chain

Overall I enjoyed it but it contains some really annoying components. The camera is terrible and the final boss having an instant death move which depending on how it uses it can be unblockable.

The premise and combat are both great though and the overall story is pretty good even if it can be a tad slow at times.

Voice acting was pretty good apart from one cop that pops up a few times and the voice actor really hams it up.

7/10
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 19:54:57 25,868 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fix
  • Vortex808 30 May 2020 20:01:45 13,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Wolf AU was my favourite of the TT games.
    I liked it a lot, but tales from the borderlands was probably my favourite one.

Both of them beat twd for my money tbh.

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:01:56 30-05-2020
  • uiruki 30 May 2020 21:43:55 5,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    21. Minecraft Dungeons - PC - 2/5

Meh. It's very slight, the balance doesn't seem to be quite there (you're either indestructible or made of glass) and the customisation is 100% on the gear, which means there's not much you can do without picking up anything. I also got stuck in the scenery at one point which one would argue is something I shouldn't complain about in a game with "Minecraft" in the title. Clearly made for co-op play.

Loses another mark for not pausing in the separate offline mode. When you've got lots of stuff roaming about it's not great.
  • Malek86 30 May 2020 23:29:53 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Splinter Cell Double Agent (Xbox One)

While everyone was busy with the next-gen version of the game, the older consoles also got their share.

Gameplay is pretty close to the old games, with none of the daylight stuff and indicators that were eventually forced on us in Conviction. Specifically, it runs on the same engine as Chaos Theory and shares many of its traits. Guards are still blind and have zero tunnel vision, and the obstacles are still defanged - what's the point of having cameras and sensors if you can disable them at any time with ease?

So it has similar issues as Chaos Theory. But it also lacks many of its strong points. The map design, aside from a couple levels, is either repetitive or confusing. Difficult navigation is reduced to a minimum, and alternate pathways are also far less common. The trust meter can be fun at times, but is not hard to keep in check without too much effort.

The story was never Splinter Cell's forte, but this game tries a bit harder than usual. Alas, that just means it fails even harder than usual. The plot in the last couple levels is especially disjointed and the ending is ridiculous.

It's still Splinter Cell, meaning the basic gameplay loop is still fun overall. But it doesn't live up to the original trilogy. I wonder if it was because of lower budget, since clearly the majority of the money must have gone to the 360 version. Either way, disappointing.

6/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.