Following Recently Completed Games Page 632

• Phattso 8 Jun 2020 09:41:21 25,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, that might explain it. It's definitely the tall levels that were making it all feel very unfocused. Y'all say wide... but it's the excessive verticality that I found annoying, whereas in Gradius they made that work a lot better by breaking up the foregrounds Into discrete paths.

I'll go back to it and give it another proper go.
  • Samildanach 8 Jun 2020 09:57:50 311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first R-Type is a masterpiece of perfect gaming design, but the rest of the series seems to double down on the 'only one correct path' philosophy that turns them into massive memorisers. I still enjoy them, and have backed R-Type Final 2, but they don't give me the adrenaline rush of the slightly chaotic, seat-of-your-pants, flying of the TF series.

Gradius was my introduction into shmups back in the day (Nemesis on the gameboy) and holds a special place in my heart. Unfortunately I do have post traumatic stress disorder from trying to beat Gradius III arcade though.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2020 10:29:58 25,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Now for me to contribute something to the thread that isn't just shmup whinging:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Ending the trilogy on a whimper, it seems. Played on a PC with pretty much max settings, and the visuals were muddy. A clear step back for me from the second game especially. It also felt substantially less epic overall. Relatively few "oh woooow" vistas in it. Or maybe they were there, and the muddy visuals just killed it. One area that should've been a showstopper (an underground cavern with a Spanish Galleon) was wrecked by being stupidly dimly lit.

I recall that it's a different team making it this time, and it shows. They walked back on the "here's a graphical effect to show where you can scramble/climb up" at random, deciding instead that handholding was for the weak and just blending the effect with the rockface/mud was the solution. Fuck's sake. In fact, the "flow" and signposting in general was shit in this one. Clearly a team that wasn't quite on top of its game, riffing on someone else's tune.

They even dialled back the hunting stuff. Actually, only the first of these "New Raider" games really force that on you in its opening section, but I found the second game's upgrade path really incentivised going hunting. The third one throws pelts at you from random looting to a much larger degree, and I didn't realise until the very end that I'd done literally fuck all hunting... and it was one of my favourite features of the earlier games.

A couple of set pieces also showed them trying to outdo Uncharted, but actually just showcasing the jank.

But hey - I played it to the end, I persevered with the niggles, so it can't be all bad.

6/10

(I'd give the first an 8, and the second a 7 or a 9 depending on mood)

Edited by Phattso at 10:57:07 08-06-2020
  • JoeBlade 8 Jun 2020 10:33:08 4,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Um, Rise is the second one, Shadow is the third. Which one is this about then?
  • monsieur-Cosmo 8 Jun 2020 10:33:49 592 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso But isn't Shadow of TR the third one, or you did not play them in order?
    EDIT: Eh JoeBlade beat me to it.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 10:34:24 08-06-2020
  • Switch024 8 Jun 2020 10:34:47 3,746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having read Phatto's review I'm going to take a punt on the third game.
  • Samildanach 8 Jun 2020 10:42:20 311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrAGSystems
    I didn't know that. With the additional temptation of having the unique Darius MD on it (which I hear is a truly excellent version of the game), I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on MD Mini. I might wait to see if the rumoured Darius Cozmic Collection 2 has it though. Sorry all for the shmup takeover, I'll shut up now.

Edited by Samildanach at 10:42:42 08-06-2020
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2020 10:56:24 25,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. NFI why my brain farted on that one.
  • JoeBlade 8 Jun 2020 11:05:48 4,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Phattso Thinking of The Dark Knight maybe? Rises is the third one in that trilogy :)
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2020 11:15:14 25,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And it, likewise, shit the bed compared to the previous two. That's probably it exactly. :D
  • Samildanach 8 Jun 2020 11:31:36 311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    And it, likewise, shit the bed compared to the previous two. That's probably it exactly. :D
    Isn't it almost always the way that the third game/film/whatever fails to reach the heights of the first two.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2020 11:32:18 25,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll let you know after Baldur's Gate 3 launches. :)
  • Malek86 8 Jun 2020 13:07:43 10,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso I played it on Xbox One and also noticed it looked a lot muddier than Rise. At first I thought it was just the slightly lower resolution, but the difference was too much. Whatever antialiasing solution they used, it didn't work.
  • Phattso 8 Jun 2020 13:32:20 25,306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Malek86 yeah - I'd have to look again to be sure, but I'm almost certain that my options on PC were "TAA" or "None" on the antialiasing front. Insert more up to date golfclap meme here.

On reflection, I should've just turned that off. 1440p sans AA would've been better.
  • Samildanach 8 Jun 2020 13:35:42 311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Samildanach wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    Isn't it almost always the way that the third game/film/whatever fails to reach the heights of the first two.
    But... Thunderforce 😆
    Ha ha. Oops. In that case TF6 has to stand in as the apparent disappointment, though I would still love to have a crack at it one day.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2020 15:33:57 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Command & Conquer Remastered (PC) - 7.5/10

Finished Nod and GDI campaigns on normal difficulty, obtaining the secret ending for the GDI campaign by destroying the Temple of Nod with the Ion Cannon.

Overall, this is one hell of a remaster job on a game that has only aged middlingly well. The various aspects of the facelift are all spectacular, right down to the pseudo-DOS installer video that starts up the first time you run the game. The high res visuals are great and they did an amazing job of keeping all the charm of the original unit and structure visuals while greatly increasing fidelity. Some of the cutscene work is a bit mixed, but the loss of the original master videos has been well documented. The behind-the-scenes content is great.

The game itself is a mixed bag. C&C was the original mass-market RTS (building on Dune 2's work but adding that all-important drag-click selection). In some ways, it still plays well as a simple, fast-paced RTS. But other elements have dated badly. Pathfinding is an absolute disaster. A number of scripting bugs survive from the original game into the remake, occasionally requiring missions to be restarted from scratch. Balance is dubious at best, with Nod being particularly underpowered in the mid-sections of their campaign. Having to hunt down every last little enemy unit at the end of each mission gets infuriating and when that unit is a stealth tank, it's even worse.

I liked it, despite its flaws, and it's good to see an old classic treated so well. If only the recent remaster of Warcraft 3 - a game that's dated far better - had been done so carefully.
  • neil74 8 Jun 2020 17:10:29 2,338 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Now for me to contribute something to the thread that isn't just shmup whinging:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Ending the trilogy on a whimper, it seems. Played on a PC with pretty much max settings, and the visuals were muddy. A clear step back for me from the second game especially. It also felt substantially less epic overall. Relatively few "oh woooow" vistas in it. Or maybe they were there, and the muddy visuals just killed it. One area that should've been a showstopper (an underground cavern with a Spanish Galleon) was wrecked by being stupidly dimly lit.

I recall that it's a different team making it this time, and it shows. They walked back on the "here's a graphical effect to show where you can scramble/climb up" at random, deciding instead that handholding was for the weak and just blending the effect with the rockface/mud was the solution. Fuck's sake. In fact, the "flow" and signposting in general was shit in this one. Clearly a team that wasn't quite on top of its game, riffing on someone else's tune.

They even dialled back the hunting stuff. Actually, only the first of these "New Raider" games really force that on you in its opening section, but I found the second game's upgrade path really incentivised going hunting. The third one throws pelts at you from random looting to a much larger degree, and I didn't realise until the very end that I'd done literally fuck all hunting... and it was one of my favourite features of the earlier games.

A couple of set pieces also showed them trying to outdo Uncharted, but actually just showcasing the jank.

But hey - I played it to the end, I persevered with the niggles, so it can't be all bad.

6/10

(I'd give the first an 8, and the second a 7 or a 9 depending on mood)
    Shadow was my least favourite too, I was not a fan of the story and the hidden city left me cold TBH.

I recently purchased the expansions at 5 as they seem well regarded so I might give them a go
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Jun 2020 22:29:01 4,241 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Doom eternal

Much prefer the single player of the 1st game, they messed with the formula. I don't mind the chainsaw for ammo, glory kill for health, flame for armour (calling it combat chess is a bit much)

The dashing and climbing sections are shit mostly, really clunky. its more like a shopping trolley going through the air

The marauder enemy is shit, my friend told me a good tactic of actually keep far away as he dash attacks then shoot him as he does his axe attack thing. the fanboys on YT are very salty about negative comments especially about this enemy! :) Its cheap game design as he can fucking annoying at times, it breaks the game mechanics

Also the ending was poor but and short the combat is still great as you dash around, killing demons etc which saves the game. Tried battlemode with my friend, once again the MP mode is naff in a doom game. I'm not the only person think they missed the mark with the game. There is a lot of demon ripping and tearing fun but its a lot of shit around it

6.5/10
  • QBX 10 Jun 2020 12:09:12 165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Note: The arcade version doesn't have the swap thing between the two games.

Banjo-Kazooie - 10/10 (XBLA)

I'm sure the bear and bird need no introduction. Graphically both this and Tooie have been given bit of a touch up with the camera mapped to the right stick. There are still a couple of issues when moving from the fixed camera back to manual (looking at you Click Clock Wood) and a touch dark in places but still great fun.

Banjo-Tooie - 8/10 (XBLA)

I didn't get the same enjoyment from this. Levels feel too big and your trudging about what feels like forever achieving fuck all. This isn't helped by the fact you have to transform with Mumbo and Wumba then travel back to them to change back. Levels themselves don't have that same identity as the originals other than mine level, factory level etc. The darkness is also cranked up in places so it can be hard to see in the daytime.

Enemies respawn after a few seconds so you don't get any peace to explore. The game has FPS sections which manage to emulate the awfulness of the N64 controls in places and the high sensitivity swings all over the place as you try to aim. This makes the final boss fight a chore and really sums up my experience with the game.

I applaud the scope of having worlds interconnect but it all comes together a bit too late.
  • minky-kong 10 Jun 2020 12:16:55 14,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I concur.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Jun 2020 12:24:29 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    Note: The arcade version doesn't have the swap thing between the two games.

Banjo-Kazooie - 10/10 (XBLA)

I'm sure the bear and bird need no introduction. Graphically both this and Tooie have been given bit of a touch up with the camera mapped to the right stick. There are still a couple of issues when moving from the fixed camera back to manual (looking at you Click Clock Wood) and a touch dark in places but still great fun.

Banjo-Tooie - 8/10 (XBLA)

I didn't get the same enjoyment from this. Levels feel too big and your trudging about what feels like forever achieving fuck all. This isn't helped by the fact you have to transform with Mumbo and Wumba then travel back to them to change back. Levels themselves don't have that same identity as the originals other than mine level, factory level etc. The darkness is also cranked up in places so it can be hard to see in the daytime.

Enemies respawn after a few seconds so you don't get any peace to explore. The game has FPS sections which manage to emulate the awfulness of the N64 controls in places and the high sensitivity swings all over the place as you try to aim. This makes the final boss fight a chore and really sums up my experience with the game.

I applaud the scope of having worlds interconnect but it all comes together a bit too late.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Banjo-Kazooie is/was incredible but Tooie was just far too big for its' own good. When you have to get a train to travel the overworld and the levels themselves have multiple warp points you know it's gone a bit too far. Too many minigame related Jiggies and one of the worst levels in a platformer (Grunty Industries) too.

My score for Tooie would be closer to 5/10.
  • andytheadequate 12 Jun 2020 22:31:57 9,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Assassins Creed Origins
    Really enjoyed this, and the first AC game I've completed since 2. It took them over 10 years but they've finally nailed the core mechanics and the essence of what the games should be about. Even the story was alright, with maybe 30 minutes at most spent in the modern day.

The world was utterly brilliant, didn't expect Egypt to be that interesting but was pleasantly surprised. Only downside is the fact is forces you into doing a lot of side quests to make sure you meet the level requirement for a mission. Not a massive issue as they're generally fun and gets you to explore the map, but they can feel a bit samey and forced at times.

Took me 31 hours in total, but I can see how people could spend an awful lot more time in the game if they tried to do everything.
  • triarii 13 Jun 2020 16:59:37 421 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wall of text that nobody asked for:

Halo Wars 2 (X1X Game Pass)

Pretty average but still fun & it's nice to have another RTS game to play. The campaign was a bit of a disappointment compared to HW1 but there is still enough mission variety and new units to keep you going until the end.

My biggest gripe is probably the Covenant glassing beam, it feels way too over-powered. Apparently the counter to it is to "get good" and not group your units too close together, which might be possible with a mouse & keyboard but is very difficult with a controller. Also, far too much (over-priced) DLC.

7/10

Assassin's Creed: Origins (X1X)

Like most other reviews here, I loved it. The main quest was actually pretty decent for an AC game (it helps that I love the era), side quests were pretty lacklustre as always but Egypt is definitely the star of the show, it's spectacular. Most of my time was spent exploring the world, climbing pyramids & mountains, raiding tombs and clearing the map. They've even improved combat and climbing. I think the Curse of the Pharaohs DLC is on sale at the moment and I am tempted.

I'll probably wait a year or two before tackling Odyssey though.

9/10

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (X1X Game Pass)

I just didn't get it. I think I see what it's trying to do but it's just not much of a game, the combat is pretty bland, the puzzles are basic & repetitive and movement felt quite sluggish to me.

Points for the excellent voice acting, graphics and tackling a tough subject.

5/10

Deliver us the Moon (X1X Game Pass)

Interesting enough puzzle/mystery game set after Earth has exhausted all its resources and relies on a moon base to send back energy via microwave beam. Then the base goes dark without explanation. The puzzles aren't overly taxing but the base environment is nice enough and the lunar surface is pretty class. The black of space looked great on my new LG C9 too :) It doesn't overstay its welcome either.

7/10
  • Bichii 13 Jun 2020 18:04:54 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good luck getting refunds off Sony.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jun 2020 18:11:34 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    COD Ghosts

I tried Ghost Recon on trial, and there's just so much faff between the combat - the campaign here is much tighter. In COD tradition it's completely batshit mental - even Tom Clancy's fevered dreams don't reach these heights. The gunplay is satisfying and they manage to include enough cool toys to vary things up a bit.

I'm not a fan of being forced 10 minutes of credits to see a final two second cutscene though.

7/10
  • Bichii 13 Jun 2020 21:39:32 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nioh 2

Excellent game with a boring pointless story. Build and improved on most aspects of the original and it was either an easier game or I was more used to it then when I played the first? As in the first I really struggled and it was pretty rare in this that I was stuck on any level.

I'm torn between a mean 8 or a generous 9 out of 10.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Jun 2020 15:08:09 4,241 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dishonoured 2

yesterday was near the end when I posted in the what are playing thread. It was good to replay the game. 2 is the best Dishonoured game of the 3 (the death of the.... was just expansion pack still good but not quite the best of the series)

Hopefully arcane can continue the series although I don't think this sold very well

9/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.