Following Recently Completed Games Page 633

• TechnoHippy 14 Jun 2020 16:14:45 17,316 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Beyond Blue

Go diving in the ocean in an exploration game loosely based on Blue Planet. It's quite a chilled experience and a pleasant way to spend a few hours. The narrative is a bit of a distraction, but the diving and scanning is fun. There's a few lovely moments in there too.

7/10
  • uiruki 14 Jun 2020 23:35:10 5,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    24. Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers - PS4 - 4/5

This is about as good as you could have expected this to be. The story is all-new and actually a follow-up to the events of P5, the action on PS4 Pro in frame rate mode is a faultless 60fps and the whole game is an exceptional conversion of what would otherwise be a straight JRPG format to an action game. An action game which took me 65 hours to clear - there's a lot of content here, with huge levels, a massive script and a story which stretches from Japan's north to its south.

Looking at it as an RPG, it's more than good enogh to stand on its own, even if you move through encounters in the easier modes; oexisting characters continue their paths generally without being too exagerrated (Ryuji being an exception, but also excellent comic relief), but the new characters really shine. This is Zenkichi Hasegawa's story in many ways, and the team did well to rest the role on Shin'ichiro Miki's shoulders. His story resonated as well as anyone's in the main game, and although I wasn't as impressed with the way the story concluded (mostly due, I suspect, to the game having to be a Persona 5 sequel), I was extremely happy to see his story properly completed.

Sophia's progress through the game is also a standout, while being a bit more formulaic. Again, though, if you come in just expecting a side story with some button bashing, as I did, then your expectations will be massively exceeded.

The button bashing itself is good fun, with speedy combat and if you surprise the enemy a group of 10 enemies can be dispatched as quickly as any simple encounter in P5 thanks to the weakness system and opportunity attacks.

In the end then it's just a few things which stop this being a whole-hearted recommendation. Things which seem minor but are genuinely annoying; you can't change character during battles, for example. The menu for healing items quickly becomes overcrowded and infuriating. The fact I apparently missed a trophy for doing the tema's requests even though I am sure I did them all. My PS4 Pro seemingly trying to commit suicide every time the game loads by spinning its fans at max speed in an apparent attempt to make it shatter, thus piercing all its key components (and yes, I did open the damn thing up and there wasn't any dust in it even before I gave it a once-over with brushes and compressed air!).

Overall a success. I ended up liking it more than the original P5, so if you liked P5 I'd recommend it - even if you usually aren't a Musou kind of person. They put in the effort, and it shows. If you didn't like P5 but are huge on the different licensed Musou games, I'd recommend it too; it might feel a bit like you're expected to know more than you do at times, but the varied battles and smooth gameplay should still satisfy. Either way, this is a highly recommended title, and the 4 is very close to a 5.
  • Nazo 15 Jun 2020 07:55:59 1,328 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn, you stole my thunder, I also completed P5S this weekend and came to write it up.
    I also really enjoyed it, with a few caveats. I wouldn't rate it as highly as P5 certainly.

All the time-management / social link stuff has been stripped out, leaving just the dungeon crawling and story sequences (including a bit of in-town exploration) so variety is a bit lacking. In taking away the time management element it loses some of the urgency and challenge of P5. You are free to come and go from the dungeons most of the time, which also replenishes HP/SP, which makes the game much easier than it otherwise would be.

Combat is fun and most of P5's systems have carried over surprisingly well to the real-time system along with a few new additions. The camera can be problematic though, the perspective doesn't feel quite right to give a good view of the battlefield. I often found myself slashing out of the screen at enemies I couldn't see.

The story is set in the summer holiday following the events of P5 and has a much more breezy feel to it. The villains are less moustache-twirlingly evil and each one has a resonance with one of the team's backstories. The gang feel like a proper team of friends now and are allowed to have some fun along the way. It's much more like P4 in this regard.

The opening area is by far the stand-out section of the game, the following dungeons have their ups and downs but most are a fair bit shorter and none match up to the first one.

I took a bit longer at about 75 hours, but I did get the trophy for all team requests completed so obviously I was being more thorough :p

8/10
  • triarii 15 Jun 2020 10:23:22 421 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MrAGSystems

Yeah, I agree completely. I suppose the gameplay isn't similar to God of War but the mythology is...
  • uiruki 15 Jun 2020 10:46:42 5,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Nazo Good timing - I think that pretty much covers what anyone would want to know about the game.

Interesting that you came in at 75 hours - I thought I was dithering quite a bit so my playthrough was longer, especially in the first half where I ended up doing a lot of the repeatable requests. Right at the end I did knock the very last optional quests on the head as I was jonesing to move on to 13 Sentinels and they wouldn't stop coming and the rewards also required a fair bit of grinding PP and levels to actually use.
  • Fourwisemen 16 Jun 2020 15:23:28 902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Halo 5

Picked this up again as I was just flicking through stuff Iíd cut off mid way through.

One the X with an HDR Oled screen the image was stunning and pulled me through the rest of the missions.

I canít say I found the solo campaign quite as memorable as others in the series but still enjoyed it and with the silky smooth 60fps it felt fantastic.

I enjoyed in.

3/5
  • ghearoid 16 Jun 2020 17:08:50 3,574 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition NSW

Played it on Wii, played through it again on Switch and loved every moment. Such a fun, absorbing game with great exploration and atmosphere. Oh, and the music!

/chef's kiss

10/10
  • Red_Bool 17 Jun 2020 06:51:59 1,972 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Resident Evil 4 (Switch)

I had it on the Gamecube but somehow never finished it. Anyway, I got it on the Switch in the recent sale to correct that "mistake".

What's there still to say about this game? It's 15 years old but still so awesome to play today. Entertaining from the beginning to the end, there is not one dull bit in it (and yes I even like the inventory-Tetris). A classic.

10/10
  • Trafford 20 Jun 2020 06:32:16 8,474 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Death Stranding.

Enjoyable hokey plot in a novel Sci-Fi setting.
    I was sick of the cut scenes by the end of the elongated finale.
    I think the accusations of boring walking delivery simulator are a bit mean. I do like hiking up mountains in real life but also by about 25% into the game you can be hoofing around on motorbikes and running over rocky ground with
    the various suit upgrades .
    I liked it's systems and the soundtrack is pretty good as well.
    Nice to have a game get right under my skin again ( it's been a while).
    It took me just over 100 hours to complete, the added bloat time was down to me getting hooked on building roads and grinding out 5 star connections with the delivery people.

9/10
  • Rum_Monkey 20 Jun 2020 09:49:35 829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Luigis Mansion 3

So much creativity and charm pack into the game right from the off. The main combat loop is pretty uninspired but there's some really inventive boss fights to make up for it. Loses momentum a bit with a boss that makes you backtrack and throwing waves of enemies near the end but I really enjoyed the game.

8.5/10

Without a certain boss and a bit better pacing towards the end I'd have given it a 10.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jun 2020 17:15:37 17,316 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maneater

Swimming around as an ever growing shark eating pretty much everything is good fun - for a while. The balancing is a bit off so before long you're almost unstoppable, and so making the latter parts of the game quite easy and a bit of a chore. The TV style voiceover does work well and adds some humour to the proceedings.

6/10
  • uiruki 22 Jun 2020 22:35:08 5,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    25. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - PS4 - 5/5

Outstanding. A great, sprawling sci-fi yarn presented in a way you can only really do in a game, and with a solid, if slightly easy at the standard difficulty, tower defence game attached. Wonderful soundtrack, too. It's a love letter to idea-based science fiction, so dense with references and character that it becomes its own thing.

This one will be staying with me for a long time. It isn't often a game takes my full attention for 40+ hours but I ended up powering through it as I couldn't stop playing; the structure means that the storyline feeds you new information constantly and doesn't become boring as there's always a new perspective.
  • Rufus 23 Jun 2020 14:49:50 1,844 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Resident Evil 4 (Switch)

(and yes I even like the inventory-Tetris). A classic.

10/10
    Fannying around with the inventory is one of my favourite bits! Like a mini game in its own right. Also, as I'm being tested for severe OCD at the moment its no surprise I like to keep it ordered.....like, every time I collect something!
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jun 2020 14:56:36 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
    Simply the best JRPG I have ever played.
  • Rhaegyr 23 Jun 2020 15:00:03 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ^^ This guy knows what he's talking about.

A friend of mine has nearly finished it and was adamant he'd never play a greater JRPG than Skies of Arcadia. Got a single line message on WhatsApp from him yesterday;

"You were right."

:)
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2020 15:37:19 25,868 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Last of Us 2
    Excellent, but not perfect 8/10

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 07:50:17 24-06-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 23 Jun 2020 16:03:13 829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    How long did it take you to finish?
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2020 16:05:26 25,868 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey
    27 hours and I did not feel I rushed. I didn't find all collectables though, not that I think this sort of game should have them.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Jun 2020 18:59:52 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert Remastered (PC) - 6.5/10

Finished Soviet and Allied campaigns. As with C&C, the remaster job is stunning. What did strike me, however, is just how much worse Red Alert holds up today, compared to the original C&C.

Despite sharing basically the same tech as C&C, it was quite an ambitious game. It added proper air/land/sea combat, more varied mission types, more asymmetric factions and indoors missions. Unfortunately, few of the changes really worked well.

The Allies just aren't much fun to play as until very late in the game, as their unit range is pretty dire. Sea combat is dreadful - no fun at all. The need to ferry forces across water means missions take much longer, but doesn't actually add much tactical depth. The indoor missions are tedious exercises in trial-and-error.

The story is fun with the Soviet campaign in particular being an absolute ham-fest, setting the scene for the later evolution of the Red Alert games into B-movie schlock while the Tiberian series tried to be more serious.

Overall, Red Alert is an interesting historical artefact, but largely failed. It took Starcraft to properly execute a lot of its ambitions.
  • up_the_ante 23 Jun 2020 21:34:09 1,324 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon Out of interest did you prefer C&C remastered or Red Alert remastered? I've finished C&C and most of the covert pack and just wondering I should bother with Red Alert or leave it on a high?

Also I noticed a 940MB patch came out yesterday making Hard mode a bit easier
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Jun 2020 21:39:08 8,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @up_the_ante C&C, by a long way. The remaster work on both of them is excellent, but C&C has aged far better. It still has a certain purity to its gameplay that RA lacks.
  • Rum_Monkey 24 Jun 2020 15:58:13 829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    That was predictable.
  • Bichii 26 Jun 2020 19:58:52 3,092 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The last of us: part two.

Incredible. While I feel the overarching story of the first I enjoyed more I can't think of too much to fault in this game. Perhaps it was too big, something you don't feel often in modern gaming as usually it's the other way around.

A bit like the original it's head and shoulders above nearly every other game released.

Easy 10/10.
  • uiruki 26 Jun 2020 20:10:18 5,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    26. Alliance Alive HD - Switch - 3/5

There's plenty to like, such as the fun characters and the Masashi Hamauzu soundtrack, but the battles (while fun) are a little too unbalanced for me. There were to main areas where I had to grind, once for the entire cast and once for just a single party, and the difference between being steamrollered and winning easily is just a little too fine.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jun 2020 11:56:57 25,868 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A mere 3 days after completing TLoU2 I beat Terminator Resistance yesterday and nabbed my first Platinum trophy (having played around 130 ps3,ps4 and Vita game with Trophy support!) into the bargain.

I enjoyed it, but for the licence it is pretty average...but it does have the licence and uses it wonderfully, fleshing out T1 and T2. Also has the iconic Theme tune/soundtrack. Can you ever get bored of that. It is like the Rambo theme tune, both brilliant.

7/10
  • wuntyate 28 Jun 2020 13:38:42 14,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 it's the last mission that really made it for me, as the music kicks in etc.

I enjoyed it overall far more than i should have overall i reckon.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jun 2020 14:33:56 25,868 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @wuntyate
    I agree mate 👍👊

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.