Following Recently Completed Games Page 634

• Globalmeltdown 28 Jun 2020 15:07:16 790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Do you think itís worth a punt on the PS4 at the price Duff?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Jun 2020 20:11:05 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4) - 7.5/10

Completed in a little over 24 hours. I'll avoid any spoilers here, beyond very general observations (even less than you'd get from the reviews).

In gameplay terms, it's mostly alright, good on occasions, but outright bad in a few places. It's at its best when you're up against human adversaries (and their dogs). The stealth gameplay is decent and the gunplay is fine, though nowhere near best in class. Where things break down is when you go up against the infected (the game's zombie-equivalent). Failing at stealth vs them gets you rushed and when it comes to close quarters and melee combat, the game's pretty awful, with the controls mushy and the camera a hindrance. Boss fights, of which there are mercifully few, are also pretty terrible.

Exploring the world can be decent, but I wasn't bowled over like some seem to have been. There's a lot of visual flair on display, but in other respects, this is one of the least-interesting post-apocalypses we've seen in an AAA game for ages. The notes scattered around the world are mostly pretty transactional, with very little colour to them.

And the story... is generally fine. It's obviously proved "divisive", with some proclaiming it the Second Coming of Christ in video-game form, some decrying it as vile leftist propaganda (we had a forumite banned after he went shrieking "beta cuck" on the front page comments over it) and others uncomfortable with the violence on display.

Personally, I think all three of those groups are reading way too much into it. The genre's changed since the original. That was a Netflix Originals level riff on The Road, with a heavy focus on the apocalypsey stuff and the whole dad-dynamic. This one lifts more directly from the darker end of the Young Adult fiction range - so think Hunger Games, Maze Runner (and their sequels) as they're written, not as their slightly sanitised film adaptations. So you've got the teenaged relationship drama, the whole apocalpyse thing taking a bit of a back seat as the plot progresses and, yes, the general all-growed-up-now grimdark edginess. It's fine - perfectly passable popcorn entertainment, but don't read too much into it. Yes, it has a whole "cycle of violence" theme going, but Borderlands 2 did that better almost a decade ago and managed some fart jokes along the way.

Overall, a decent enough game, if a bit typical of US-developed AAA games at the end of the current console cycle.
  • docrob 29 Jun 2020 00:26:42 1,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Observation (PC) - 7/10

Well, that was an experience. Not a horror game per se, but very creepy and atmospheric. Casting you as the AI on the space station (who may or may not be part of what is going on) provides a great narrative, which obviously owes a great deal to 2001. Excellent voice acting and strong story.

In the negatives column: the interior of the station looks VERY samey. I always have this issue with zero-G parts in games, but I found getting my bearings really difficult and I got lost frequently. Some sort of mini-map would have helped a great deal in preventing this. Also, some of the later puzzles were effectively QTEs, which would have been easy on a gamepad but were surprisingly hard on keyboard!

Overall, I spent 9-10 hours on this, I enjoyed it, and I feel as if I have had my money's worth. I'm happy to support a Scottish developer too (Loved the floating Irn Bru cans in the captain's cabin!) It's not a blockbuster, but it's a lot of fun and I think 7 is about right.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Jun 2020 07:58:09 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I wanted to like Observation as the subject mattter is right up my street, but the interaction is just too dull, and I hate QTEs. In this instance I'd rather it'd been a film, or a walking simulator style game.
  • Tuffty 29 Jun 2020 08:09:42 4,512 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Wonderful 101 - 8/10

Really enjoyed this game in spite of a few hiccups. For one, the game isn't the most complex game Platinum has ever made but there's still a degree of hidden depth there which they don't necessarily explain all that well in game, which forced me to look up some help online as it felt like I was missing something. There are also abilities to unlock which I think take too long into the game to acquire and would have been much better suited to get earlier as I enjoyed the combat much more with them. With a number of options for combat my instinct was to go crazy with it and be stylish like a DMC game but found that it actively punishes you for it because it will drain the unite gauge which leaves you unable to change weapons, can't dodge or block leaving you running around in a weakened state waiting for the gauge to fill up and elongate fights way longer than they need to be. Its very difficult to get high rankings on each fight as it can be quite chaotic, normal difficulty is really challenging on its own merits, framerate can hitch at its most frantic (played the Switch version) and on multiple occasions the game crashed on me after dying and selecting the option to resurrect.

With all of that said, I still managed to thoroughly enjoy the game. It still plays well and is so satisfying to get into the flow of combat. It constantly surprises you with new forms to play with on each operation with each one ending with an outrageous boss battle that gets more and more ridiculous with each new level that it drives your interest to keep playing and see what they can come up with. It has a slapstick sense of humour, bright and colourful while being effortlessly charming, evoking the feelings of watching the Power Rangers. You can't help but get excited when you hear the leader shout "ENGAGING UNLIMITED FORM" and have the team do their poses in the face of a new boss. It switches gameplay up with on rail shooting sequences and homages to arcade classics like Space Harrier too. What else would you expect from a Hideki Kamiya game? It also has an incredible bombastic soundtrack that adds to the excitement. By the end of the game, you've come to like the cast so much that it ends with one of the best prompts in video games ever, that left me so excited

There are a fair number of faults, but if you can put up with it, you'll see the game was made with a lot of love and I feel it deserves a wider audience and recognition than it currently has.

Edited by Tuffty at 08:15:31 29-06-2020
  • QBX 29 Jun 2020 11:52:47 165 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Conkers Bad Fur Day (Game Pass)

I'd missed this first time round so it was good to play the original N64 version in all it's unwieldy glory.

Given the games age I don't want to comment too much on the negatives but it commits every gaming sin imaginable and requires a fuckton of patience to play so would point people to the Live & Reloaded remake.

However I can see what makes it so great. The adult humour against the cutesy backdrop breaks the mold of most platformers and is what pulls it through (with some great parodies from the time) so it's a tragedy a sequel never happened. Graphically I still think it looks rather good with Conkers facial animations and low quality voices adding to the charm.

It is a frustrating experience from start to finish but one I'm glad I got to experience and the Mighty Poo song makes it all worth it.

9/10
  • Fourwisemen 29 Jun 2020 19:08:19 902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Last of Us - Part 1

After deciding to pick up a PlayStation Pro after selling my PS4 a few years ago just to play TLoU 2 I felt it worth revisiting part 1 first.

I played it through on PS3 and itís interesting how my feeling second time around are the same but even more pronounced.

I recall thinking at the time that thereís a lot of world building and artwork put in the the levels that you just walk through, in relative silence, rather than every moment having to feel action packed...in fact Iíd say there's a greater percentage of taking things in and contemplation than action...and this is not bad thing.

The story telling really is a masterclass in video games terms. There are so many games that I play and I couldnít tell you the plot at the end, I thought that maybe I just donít engage with video game narrative like I would a boom or film, but I absolutely do with TLoU.

The plot is simple, yes, but all the better for it. So many games I feel have massively convoluted plots/storyís that just donít hit home with me. If a story is meant to create a feeling of caring or emotion, this does it better than most and possibly still up there as the best I have played.

I also recall thinking after my first play through Ďdonít do a sequelí and after a second play through can understand why I felt that way. This make me genuinely apprehensive to play part 2.

Fingers crossed.

TLoU - Left Behind

An excellent bit of DLC to flesh out Ellieís character, and was great to spend more time with her as the protagonist.

Itís an interesting juxtaposition of a really light touch when it comes to the Ellie relationship and an increased sense of violence, in particular the use of knives.

No doubt this (main and dlc together) is a masterpiece of their time in gaming.

If youíve never experienced, find a way to do so.

Part 2 starts tomorrow.
  • Globalmeltdown 29 Jun 2020 21:18:58 790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Fourwisemen hope youíve gone into the game avoiding spoilers as it truly is a masterpiece. Hope you enjoy it 😊
  • Fourwisemen 29 Jun 2020 22:00:46 902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Globalmeltdown

I inadvertently read one spoiler on a Guardian article (which I canít complain because I skipped over the spoiler warning) from the first hour. Gutted I know about this before I experience it but apart from that I havenít a clue.

Edited by Fourwisemen at 22:03:13 29-06-2020
  • andytheadequate 1 Jul 2020 01:39:15 9,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really a game you can complete, but I think I'm done with Dirt Rally. It's an excellent game, played it for over 40 hours according to Steam. First played for a few hours 4 years ago, but since I started playing again it's really grabbed me.

I've finished 6 seasons in the career, managing to finish in mid-table on the highest difficulty in my final season. It would have been slightly higher but I had an engine failure just driving along on the second to last stage of the final race, whilst in third place. I couldn't recover after a catastrophically bad first few stages where I kept smashing my car up, so my engine eventually just gave up in protest even though the later stages were fairly clean. I've also had some races ended prematurely by flying off a cliff and wrecking a car. I think this sums up the game pretty well, it's a strange mindset where the best strategy is often to be consistently above average, rather than going 100% for the fastest possible time. Each season is 6 races, and each race is 12 stages on the highest difficulty, with a stage being between 3 and 9 minutes, so the amount of concentration required to do well is pretty intense.

I think it's a game you need to commit to to get the best out of it. First person camera, limiting your number of stage retries, and paying attention to car set up all made it more fun for me, but the key was learning to fully rely on the co driver's calls. I'm generally pretty good at it now, but sometimes find my concentration slips, which means it's guaranteed to end badly if there's a slightly hidden tight corner.

It has kind of spoiled other single player racing games for me though. I had a go at Grid after playing this and it felt painfully boring, even though I've enjoyed it in the past. Dirt Rally really nails the driving physics and constant sense of danger which keeps it interesting, even though you never see another car on track.

Only downside to the game is the career mode structure is a little bit samey. I quite liked the idea of getting promoted to go up difficulty levels rather than it being an option, but it would have been nice if they'd added a bit more depth to it. I also wish they'd released some DLC for it as the track selection starts to get a bit samey, but that's perhaps an unfair criticism as I was still enjoying the majority of tracks after 40+ hours.

My laptop could only play it on pretty low settings, and the frame rate still occasionally dropped even then, so the game looked pretty ugly if I wanted it to run at 60fps. I'll definitely be getting Dirt Rally 2, but going to wait until I have a console to play it on. Hopefully there'll still be EG online leagues going by then so I can join in with that fun!
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 04:35:20 25,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Globalmeltdown wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 Do you think itís worth a punt on the PS4 at the price Duff?
    Sorry mate, only just seen. Absolutely worth it for that.
  • HarryPalmer 1 Jul 2020 09:48:45 6,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Last of Us 2 - 7/10

This is a difficult one for me to review, as I have very mixed feelings about it. I think The Last of Us is a masterpiece, it was one of the first games to deliver a 'movie-quality' story, and I didn't really care for a sequel. However, for the first 10 hours of this, I was convinced it was going to be a 10/10, top 5 games of the generation contender.

It's incredibly immersive in those opening hours. ND are wizards when it comes to creating highly detailed game worlds. The graphics, sound, animation, voice acting, writing, all come together to place you in this world. I was in awe of it.

But the game is 30 hours long, and in this time the story loses its way, its convoluted, baggy, and the actual gameplay sections feel like filler in a lot of cases. This isn't to say that I didn't like the story - I did. I also really cared about the characters, which is hard to achieve in a game like this. But something wasn't working, and I think its to do with the pacing, but also its because the gameplay hasn't evolved for almost a decade. This is ND's weakness IMO, they are great at production, but their games are archaic to play.

You will notice that you are being funneled towards a predetermined point and your actions do not matter. Once the illusion is shattered you are left with some very nice cutscenes and gameplay where you are either doing the same thing combat-wise over and over or pushing forward to follow a character - there is a lot of following.

Everything about the first game has been expanded upon but not improved, and it's bloated as a result. They've essentially made an interactive 30-hour movie, where you have zero agency and probably won't agree with your character's choices.

This is where I have a serious problem: the story is about how all-consuming revenge is, a simple concept. But you are hit over the head with it until you are sick of it, the way ND chose to deliver this message is heavy-handed and basic, even immature. I was sick and tired of the endless killing long before the end - yes that's the point, but the pay-off was not worth it. ND cannot do a boss encounter for love nor money and here it feels cheap and unnecessary.

Overall, I would recommend it for the opening 10 hours, and it definitely has it's moments after that, but never returns to that level.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:51:15 01-07-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 09:54:02 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @HarryPalmer I'd agree on the pacing. I particularly struggled with the length of some of the barely-interactive sequences. ND have a real fixation on lengthy sequences where you are nominally in control, but all that you can do is walk slowly while conversation happens. For me, that's a cutscene.

There's one particular flashback sequence in the first half of the game that's basically an hour of that. We ridiculed MGS4 for its hour-long cutscenes and it's no less annoying when ND do it. Personally, I found the length and frequency of those sequences really held the game back from building up any sense of pace or momentum, particularly in the first half (the second half is less prone to it).
  • HarryPalmer 1 Jul 2020 10:09:00 6,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I think if I restarted I would notice that in the opening sections even more, but I was very wrapped up in it to begin with.

The slow walk exposition dump is really old at this point.
  • HarryPalmer 1 Jul 2020 10:09:00 6,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 10:11:11 25,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe
    Good to read, what skill level did you play on?
    I always enjoyed the original, will get at some point.
  • Bichii 1 Jul 2020 10:33:36 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interactive movie is such horse shit. It's not like walking simulator where you don't actual do anything. Sure there are plenty of cut scenes, sure there are plenty of quiet levels but half or more of the game is the glorious encounters that are nearly all beautifully set up and frankly no game does violence/killing/hunting/being hunted better.

Once you get in the groove of using all your tools in combat it's beautiful how you can clear an area in one flowing sequence that could involve stealth, sniping, smashing someone with a wrench, shotgunning someone's legs off from under a truck, jumping down on someone from above with your knife, grabbing someone then shooting their friend in the face to them trying to wrestle you off to then get jumped on by a dog to kicking it off then throwing a brick in its face to then hearing the others chasing you get blown up by your bomb you put down before it all started to jumping through a window you just shot out to quickly hiding behind the book shelf to quickly switch to the explosive arrow to blow the final two enemies into a dozen pieces! That just one example of the amazing chaos this games combat is most of the time. Philistines.

Edited by Bichii at 10:35:14 01-07-2020
  • HarryPalmer 1 Jul 2020 10:38:48 6,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I didnít find them that interesting, not saying they werenít enjoyable to a degree, just that I found them repetitive. And it does seem to me that ND are much more interested in telling you a very rigid story over an original gaming experience. I can 100% see why you would enjoy it, just didnít click with me.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Jul 2020 10:39:00 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it possible to watch the end of interactive movies on Youtube?
  • Steve-Perry 1 Jul 2020 11:19:17 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    I didnít find them that interesting, not saying they werenít enjoyable to a degree, just that I found them repetitive. And it does seem to me that ND are much more interested in telling you a very rigid story over an original gaming experience. I can 100% see why you would enjoy it, just didnít click with me.
    Same with the first one. I don't like any game where I'm sat with the controller in my hand not doing anything for long periods.

I've got netflix for that.
  • Fixxxer 1 Jul 2020 11:42:54 1,354 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Whereas I love that too much so that any hurdles in the game frustrate me hugely because they hamper my progress through the story and delay my next cutscene.

But the fear of missing out on a unique gameplay experience stops me putting the difficulty down to Easy.
  • andytheadequate 1 Jul 2020 12:01:12 9,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    Whereas I love that too much so that any hurdles in the game frustrate me hugely because they hamper my progress through the story and delay my next cutscene.

But the fear of missing out on a unique gameplay experience stops me putting the difficulty down to Easy.
    I've started playing action/adventure style games on easy and it doesn't really spoil things. Certain games that rely on clever AI to make it fun (e.g. strategy) are ruined by dropping the difficulty, but actions games generally aren't.
  • Switch024 1 Jul 2020 12:02:35 3,746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love both games and the walking sections play an important role in that. They slow things down at just the right time, giving you moments to process whatever has just happened whilst still playing the game. The ebb and flow of it all really works for me.

Edited by Switch024 at 12:03:02 01-07-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Jul 2020 12:19:02 15,801 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I agree that having slow sections in an action game is actually a good thing to break stuff up.

TLOU2 however seems slow throughout so it does not really work. This is probably due to me playing it at a snailís pace though.

After 15 hours nothing seemed to have happened and as the game was reportedly 25 - 30 hours long I was expecting a big moment around the 14 hour mark. Then at 17 hours I thought I had reached the midpoint only to realise there is a clear mid point later which took me 21 hours to get to.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 12:20:10 01-07-2020
  • JoelStinty 1 Jul 2020 18:47:09 8,879 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TLOU2

Loved it. I agree with sentiments that it is too long - but it kind has to be as its story acts as a symmetry. I did feel the need to pace myself, but I never got bored by it, and the time it takes to tell it story really paid of me. Its rare for games to illicit any emotion or feelings from me, but this one certainly did. The gameplay is more refined and sharpened up, and its kept fresh by two different styles of play emerging. Its probably the most immaculate game I have played as well, a stunning technical achievement. Brave and bold game.

4.75/5
  • ryan_isthisit 1 Jul 2020 21:53:46 26 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Last of Us Part Two - 10/10

I had avoided all spoilers or even hints about the nature of the story, though I had come across some of the vitriol, without knowing what exactly had upset folk. I must say, this was one of the most affecting games I have played in my thirty years of gaming. Unlike virtually all work in this medium, I thought it was beautifully written and said something quite profound about the human need to create meaning in an empty universe. It was a thrilling revenge tragedy, but itís ambitions were so much more than that, I think. The love and empathy that the writers obviously have for their characters is impossible not to notice - they were flawed and deeply broken, but rarely less than totally believable.

In terms of raw gameplay, I suppose I understand what people might say about its essential similarity to the first one, but I honestly found it to be a great mix of incredibly tense gun play and astonishing pieces. I know now that some folk found the game to be badly paced, but I think it worked flawlessly. When I was ready for it to end - when I think the characters had completed the arcs that typified the overarching themes of the piece - it ended.

It has been a long time since I have sat down to play a game and struggled to put it down. An astonishing experience.

Edited by ryan_isthisit at 17:05:02 03-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jul 2020 00:25:07 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Toe-Jam & Earl: Back in the Groove

A few tweaks here and there like rudimentary character progression and more playable characters but this plays essentially exactly like it did on Mega Drive. Only with full updated graphics do it really looks like the 90s Nickelodeon show it always aspired to be.

I really like it. So many games and either bloated too big epics or grind or all about intensity itís a real relief to have a game back which is dedicated to chilling out and vibe based gameplay.

• Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2020 00:34:03 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished a full Experienced campaign of Invisible Inc on Switch. I'm not done with the game yet (Expert is where it's really at), but I've unlocked all the things so I think I can call it "completed".

It's such a great game. Very hard in places, but it's so satisfying when you're in an impossible situation and manage to cobble a solution together.
  • Zippity-zap 3 Jul 2020 07:13:49 542 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Just finished a full Experienced campaign of Invisible Inc on Switch. I'm not done with the game yet (Expert is where it's really at), but I've unlocked all the things so I think I can call it "completed".

It's such a great game. Very hard in places, but it's so satisfying when you're in an impossible situation and manage to cobble a solution together.
    Iím gonna need you to go ahead and stop tempting me to buy this game for the fourth time.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2020 08:26:20 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was the third time for me lol.

It's really good for portable play. Not quite as good for train rides as something like Into the Breach (II missions take a bit longer), but it definitely nails the "just one more mission" moreishness that leaves you awake at 3am wondering where the last few hours went.

The port has some slight issues with temporary hitching in later missions (solved by closing and restarting the game), hopefully to be addressed with a patch of some kind. It's mostly really good though.

I'd buy it on whatever system they port it to, really. Not just because I love it, but because I want them to sell enough copies to justify making a sequel. There's definitely room for one, considering how the story ends.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.