Following Recently Completed Games Page 635

• Rodimus-Prime 3 Jul 2020 11:58:01 384 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Terminator: Resistance.

I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, it's an average game in almost every way, but for a movie tie-in, average is pretty good. I would have killed to have Colonial Marines be this enjoyable. The best i've played since Quantum of Solace 12 years ago, i dare say.

The soundtrack was on point. Saving the main theme for the last level had it feeling suitably epic. And it felt a little like Metro: Exodus lite - which is a positive.

No real negatives. I'd like more FPS games to include minor conversation/choice mechanics, whilst remaining ostensibly as shooters.

For £12 in the current Playstation sale, it's a good way to spend 8 hours.
  • Bichii 3 Jul 2020 12:07:33 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmm I'm tempted, just looked at that and also noticed the control season pass is £12 as well. Maybe a double purchase.
  • PierrePressure 3 Jul 2020 12:12:18 1,109 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Last of Us 2 - 10/10

I'll keep it short and sweet but pretty much everything about this sequel is superb. A follow up to the first didn't need making but the fact it does it so well really needs applauding.

I can't remember the last time I played a game and all I thought about whilst not playing it was getting back on and continuing the story.

No issues at all with the new characters and ND going all SJW as some like to call it. It told a pretty stale narrative with flair and invited me to appreciate a story from a much different perspective than mine.

Can't wait to see what ND do next.

Edited by PierrePressure at 20:21:59 03-07-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Jul 2020 16:07:16 4,311 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Minecraft dungeons

Glad its gamepass title as its just a average dungeon crawler with minecraft skin. People defend with "its a kids game you shit!!!11111" but these idiots don't get minecraft is for kids but it has more imagination and creative tools to do some amazing things. Also its very short game and the ending is "buy the dlc you pricks"

As a game to waste time on its average but they could of done a lot more with the minecraft name that will make it more than just another RPG lite dungeon crawler

5/10
  • Zippity-zap 4 Jul 2020 05:10:51 555 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It was the third time for me lol.

It's really good for portable play. Not quite as good for train rides as something like Into the Breach (II missions take a bit longer), but it definitely nails the "just one more mission" moreishness that leaves you awake at 3am wondering where the last few hours went.

The port has some slight issues with temporary hitching in later missions (solved by closing and restarting the game), hopefully to be addressed with a patch of some kind. It's mostly really good though.

I'd buy it on whatever system they port it to, really. Not just because I love it, but because I want them to sell enough copies to justify making a sequel. There's definitely room for one, considering how the story ends.
    Thanks. This feedback and rationale was just what I needed to justify my purchase.
  • DrStrangelove 5 Jul 2020 10:38:05 15,207 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Supraland Crash - 9/10

Crash is Supraland's first DLC, but essentially it's Supraland 2 by both scope and pricing. It was first planned to be Supraland 2, but it was decided to make it a DLC because it relies on puzzle/mechanics knowledge learnt in the first game. The main game is currently 55% off on Steam, so half the price of the DLC.

When I say "scope", I mean length, not actual size of the world. It is a smaller world with more puzzles crammed inside a single place--there are "loops" where you return to the same locations but new gear allows you to solve more puzzles each time. On the upside this avoids getting lost like in the main game, on the downside it does feel smaller and a little repetitive because you're spending all the time in the same few locations, even though my playthrough duration equalled that of the main game (about 12 hours).

Thankfully, the odd flat triple-jump mechanic of the main game is replaced by a single jump with normal jump height. The puzzles are great as ever and feel a little more refined, meaning they feel a little more logical than those of the main game which could be a little fiddly/obscure at times. This time I was able to solve them all on my own without looking up hints on the internet.

What I'm not a fan of is that the sense of adventure/exploration is mostly gone. Combat is almost nonexistent, it's all about the puzzles now in more confined areas. There are no bosses. I loved exploring every corner in the original game to find all those little (but mostly optional) health and weapon upgrades. Or fighting respawning enemies to get more gold to buy more upgrades. There are very few upgrades in Crash aside from the gear that you need to solve the puzzles, and enemies drop no gold, just other currency you need to proceed to the next set of puzzles.

Also, Crash has almost no new gear, it's mostly the same you had in the original (less actually as that magnet hover thingy is absent) and as a consequence most of the puzzles feel pretty similar. There are hardly any new mechanics, it doesn't really feel new.

The main game rightfully called itself a mix of Portal, Zelda and Metroid; Crash is much more Portal and much less Zelda. If you prefer it that way that's great, for me that's a little disappointing. Definitely less replay value, I played through the original 2-3 times, I can't see myself playing through Crash a second time.

I don't want to sound negative, it's great and if you loved the original it's a no-brainer, but for my liking this time it's not GOTY material, and it doesn't do quite enough to really set itself apart from the main game.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 10:51:08 05-07-2020
  • lordofdeadside 5 Jul 2020 12:01:31 1,362 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Last of Us 2

A masterpiece. A new level in storytelling and characterisation. It makes you feel so strongly what the characters are going through and yet flips to make you understand different points of view and even hate what the characters are doing.

The structure, jumping back and forwards in time allows for so much depth and meaning to be added to each characters behaviour too.

Of course it looks jaw-droopingly incredible and is tense and rewarding to play.

A couple of very minor niggles; there is the occasional clunky old-school boss fight and the enemy AI is quite dumb. These really don't take anything away from what is probably my game of the generation.

10/10
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Jul 2020 17:58:38 15,989 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Last of Us Part 2

9/10

Would probably have been a 10 if the game didnít crash 3 times and occasionally forget about things I had picked up, including a Skill book!

(Think it was due to the dodgy save system as I found the book just before I saved and quit for the night. Didnít realise I did not have the book until 2 hours later and I wanted to use the primary skill from it). Fortunately I had essentially saved next to the book. So when I realised I loaded up the save and repeated the 2 hours.

Also the pacing is all over the place. Content wise though I thought the story was good. (Although it is certainly not Schindlerís List).
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Jul 2020 19:45:39 10,218 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogue legacy - 9/10

I have tried playing this a few times throughout the years but never really understood Ďhow to play ití. This time though, on a suggestion from a friend I have it one more go and boy it clicked this time. Apparently running/attempting to run to the boss over and over was not a good idea and it is better to do farming runs to build up levels. Once that was understood I managed to beat the game in less than ten hours. Will probably go back for ng+ at some point.

Mortal Kombat 11 - story mode 8/10

Really good story and a great fighting game. Playing on switch so the net code is garbage and I get a lot of slowdown when trying to play online. So think I will just use it to do towers/practise and get it on ps4 to play online.
  • Rufus 6 Jul 2020 16:47:24 1,847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Couple of oldies:

Portal (X360). Last time I played through this was nearly a decade ago (and on PS3 -sorry Gabe). As close to a perfect game as I can think. Played it as preparation for finally getting Portal 2.

Max Payne - (Xbox via 360 back-compatibility). Never played this series before. After hearing someone mention how he felt that Max Payne 3 wasn't played by enough people, I wanted to jump in at the beginning and see what the fuss was about.

After a false start on PS2 (where the frame rate dropped to low single digits at points) I bought this and MP2 cheap from eBay for the OG Xbox. The frame rate on this version isn't great either, but saving/loading is far quicker and you can go back to recap story elements at any point - something the PS2 version doesn't have. Really enjoyed it despite how clunky the controls can be, and it never outstayed it's welcome. The 'dream' sequences can absolutely get in the bin though. I went straight into MP2 afterwards and it seems to be treating that, and all other elements far better already.
  • Opti 7 Jul 2020 19:16:19 96 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Last of Us - Part II

Canít add anything to what others have already said.

10/10.

Fucking fantastic. One of the best games I have ever played and a truly meaningful experience from start to finish.

Cheers Naughty Dog.

Opti
  • HarryPalmer 7 Jul 2020 19:42:48 6,141 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Luigi's Mansion 3 - 7/10

Tons of character, the environments, and animations are brilliant. When it's flying it's super-fun, but too often I found it intensely annoying to play. The controls suck, and a lot of the puzzles are obtuse.

Was fun to play through on co-op though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Jul 2020 20:28:21 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Great Giana Sisters (C64) - 5/10

Finally got around to playing this, having know about it since I was a littl'un as "that C64 game that Nintendo banned". Its reputation at the time was of a near-perfect Super Mario Bros clone for the C64, that Nintendo wouldn't let us have.

It's not a near-perfect Super Mario Bros clone. You can see why Nintendo cracked down on it - it's definitely in the "rip off" rather than "homage" category. The first level, in particular, is virtually idential to Mario's 1-1.

But get past that and it's a fairly standard 8-bit platformer. Movement on the ground does actually feel very close to Mario's with that sense of momentum. Air control is much floatier than Mario, however. Enemies are generic, with none of the character of Mario's and there's no real boss.

Levels are visually bland, with only two environments - a blue-background above-ground theme and a black-background cave theme. There are no pipes to travel through and each level takes place on a single horizontally scrolling plane.

Overall, it's an interesting historical artefact and a reminder that shameless rip-offs and asset-flips didn't start with Steam. But it's also not a very good game.
  • uiruki 7 Jul 2020 22:23:49 5,245 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If nothing else it's a good indicator of how different an approach they had to take on the C64 as they do differ in terms of raw CPU power - that remake that came out last year struggles on a stock 1MHz unit.
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Jul 2020 10:05:43 5,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The last of us part two

Very conflicted on this one. It has 10/10 performances and graphics (not that graphics matter) but I found myself underwhelmed by the overarching story, more specifically the ending.

As others have said, the first game is more focused and more memorable - you could tell that it was a story that the creators desperately wanted to tell you, where as this feels like more of a ď......this is what happens next, I guessĒ.

Part 2 boasts some truly wonderful (and horrific) moments that video games have yet to produce and I strongly believe that this is a game that should be experienced by anyone remotely interested in gaming...but itís not a flawless experience for me.

Itís a 7/10 story in a 10/10ís clothes.......so 8/10.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 10:06:20 08-07-2020
  • Pierre2k 9 Jul 2020 14:14:12 1,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last of Us Remastered

I'm massively late to the party here despite owning both a PS3 and PS4, and considering the Uncharted games to be some of my favourite titles from the whole 360/PS3 era. By the time this came out, I was primarily playing on PC before getting a PS4 so it passed me by. For shame. With all the hype for the sequel, and always thinking it looked good anyway, I finally jumped in (only £8.99 on a PS Store sale).

I'll not go into a ton of detail, but whilst there is a lot to love about the game, I did find it to be very overrated. The opening is epic, the visuals still hold up though didn't blow me away like they would have at original release, the general world building was really good, and I love a linear story driven game in general. That the game was one long corridor didn't bother me at all.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of stealth games in general and it leaned a bit too far that way for my liking. It was still a bit stealth light though (not exactly Splinter Cell), and I always felt compelled to keep playing. The bond between Joel and Ellie was interesting, but I didn't find it to be all that convincing. Ellie is a great character though. I wasn't a fan of the last level and the turn the story took, albeit that's subjective.

At times though, I did find the game a bit boring and ponderous. The boss fight with David was horrendous, and the ending was far far too abrupt for a game so heavily dependent on story.

Overall, a great game no doubt, which I ultimately did enjoy, but I didn't quite think it was the absolutely essential 10/10 it seemed to receive everywhere. Glad I played it and looking forward to Left Behind before I jump on the sequel. In that sense, I clearly liked the game enough that I want more.

8/10
  • waggy79 9 Jul 2020 15:02:21 2,295 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Second time I've heard recently of someone having trouble with the David boss fight.
    Not sure what the issue is. Thought it was suitably tense and pretty easy. Creep up behind him 3 times, being careful of stepping on the glass.
    It even allows you to run and reset if he spots you.
    What was horrendous about it?
  • Pierre2k 9 Jul 2020 16:42:31 1,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    Second time I've heard recently of someone having trouble with the David boss fight.
    Not sure what the issue is. Thought it was suitably tense and pretty easy. Creep up behind him 3 times, being careful of stepping on the glass.
    Fair comment, and I don't really disagree with you in general.

Personally, I just found it really cheap. It was tense, I'll give you that. It was also pretty clear what needed to be done, albeit at the time I didn't know how many times I needed to catch him.

It took me 4-5 attempts but it left a memorable impression, and not in a good way. Combination of:
    - taking multiple stab attempts after killing multiple assailants with ease already
    - that on the 3rd hit it basically disables your listening ability
    - the size of the space to stalk him in, given that limitation
    - his AI was quite jumpy compared to most enemies. No pattern, would be walking but suddenly run or turn.

It was actually perhaps more realistic than most of the dumb as a post enemies, but it just felt more like luck than skill, and out of step with the rest of the games mechanics before and after
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Jul 2020 16:49:28 15,989 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember really disliking the David fight and the section with the sniper.

Really glad ND did not reprise those bits for the sequel...
  • waggy79 9 Jul 2020 17:11:33 2,295 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Sarcasm meter just exploded lol
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jul 2020 18:16:55 13,966 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    I posted about it last night. Such a fucker.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jul 2020 18:17:51 13,966 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Pierre2k Iím with you on all of these. I beat him last night and that third hit was a total fluke
  • waggy79 9 Jul 2020 18:23:59 2,295 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Theres a video of a speed runner with Nolan North on YouTube called 'what just happened' and one of the sections he plays is the David bit.
    You guys may not want to watch it though ;)
  • Pierre2k 9 Jul 2020 18:34:04 1,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    Theres a video of a speed runner with Nolan North on YouTube called 'what just happened' and one of the sections he plays is the David bit.
    You guys may not want to watch it though ;)
    Had to look but couldn't quite find that. Was surprised to find in one video though hat Nolan North was the voice of David. Quite different from his usual, "everyone sounds like Nathan Drake" tone (note: I actually really like his voice acting, but he is often quite recognisable).

EDIT: Found it. Can see why you didn't want me to watch, given how quickly he finishes him off, lol. Had avoided that video as it also goes into the sequel. I know absolutely nothing about Part II, and I'd rather keep it that way.

Edited by Pierre2k at 18:34:18 09-07-2020

Edited by Pierre2k at 18:40:20 09-07-2020
  • waggy79 9 Jul 2020 19:01:16 2,295 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh sorry if you saw anything you didnt want to. It just popped up in my recommended youtube clips recently and found it interesting. I've played through the first game a few times but the level of knowledge that guy has in regards to how many bullets get dropped etc is quite something.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Jul 2020 00:56:10 13,966 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Last of Us Remastered

Another player super late to the party, I was a 360 guy and didnít get a PS4 until well into the generation.

It still mostly holds up but when it does feel dated it feels Jurassic.

The good - most of the story, the characters, the vibe, the setting

The bad - very cheap at times, the final chapter feeling so rushed, the big finale just being shooting waves of dudes in two rooms

The dated - massively signposted chest high wall filled encounter sections, being a cover shooter in general

I had fun with it and it was obviously ambitious as a narrative experience in AAA action gaming at launch but itís so obviously last gen in its gameplay that itís probably a bit hard to judge fairly coming at it fresh today.

8/10
  • Rufus 10 Jul 2020 01:04:30 1,847 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Max Payne 2 ( jamming to the music of Ristar's 'Break Silence')

A fantastic sequel that forgets some things......tries new things - and ultimately does better out of it. I simultaneously miss and don't miss the pretentious poetic cutscenes. Everything is more to the point this time - and all the better for it. Some great shootouts; some not. It has one of the most hilarious escort missions I've ever done, but also one of the most frustrating sniper missions. All in all though, a far better game than the original. The
    gameplay is so much better. Includes a reminisci-package for those that haven't played the original.

Now playing Max Payne 3 - which has Rockstars hands ALL over it. But I'm enjoying it so far. (Also playing 3D Dot Game Heroes, 3rd Dungeon) :)

Edited by Rufus at 01:05:30 10-07-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Jul 2020 06:30:39 26,034 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Erica free on ps+

Enjoyed it. I'm happy to play an "interactive" movie from time to time. Story was ok, Horror, Drama genre. I played through twice over two days with each run about two hours. Both of my stories had very different decision choices and this was reflected in the endings being polar opposites.

I think there are a few more endings and twists along the way but I think I'm happy with my two runthroughs.

7/10.
  • TechnoHippy 10 Jul 2020 12:53:14 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Night Call

When I say completed, I mean I completed the first investigation and am unlikely to return to do any others. This could have been so much better. The writing was excellent, the encounters in the cab varied and interesting. The investigation worked pretty well. Unfortunately it lacked presentation - in particular it would have benefited immensely from decent voice over. The soundscape generally was quite lacking and that made it quite dull to interact with. A nice idea though.

6/10
  • uiruki 10 Jul 2020 21:42:44 5,245 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    27. Yomi wo Saku Hana - Xbox One - 4/5

It feels like it's been a long time since we have had an all-new DRPG from Experience and it's been worth the wait. The setting is interesting (early 80s Tokyo, basically playing a miner brought in as all the 'best' people were already bought up by the big company in the area), though the story does kind of run out of steam by the end. In fact I'd argue the whole thing kind of settles into an old groove after about 15 hours; that said, it's a groove that I was looking to settle into anyway, and the whole game system has been made that bit nicer for the player.

The biggest concession is an extremely regular autosave which triggers every time you beat an enemy, go to a new area or even open and close the field menu. As a result, combined with the infinite use dungeon escape item you get after a little while, battles end up being relatively low stakes. This feels like Experience's final answer to the question raised by them still sticking fundamentally to the classic Wizardry game system, including instant kill critical attacks. There's no raising of characters in the field so it's still inconvenient to have someone struck down but the stakes aren't ever more than a few minutes of gameplay.

Overall, while I was a little disappointed that they didn't go further with the new setting and the battle system changes (though 0 MP abilities have been removed, you soon get the ability to take a turn without using any MP; this is actually a great balancing measure as it does limit the ability of a tank to just block everything for you while still making it possible for casters to attack regularly and combined with the other special abilities you get it becomes a new choice that I enjoyed having to make) it's the easiest Experience game to play without actually removing any of the systems that tie it back to that original Wizardry game in 1983. Well, there's one they removed but I'm not sure people will be that sorry to see it go.

In the end, I don't think it quite fascinated me like Stranger of Sword City did, but it came quite close. Well worth the time and money for any dungeon RPG fan who wants to map out some levels and hack some slashes.

Looking forward to what they put out next. Next time, I want to see curved corridors in the maps. I put on Shining the Holy Ark a little while ago and the maps in that are insane compared to this - and that game came out in 1996!

Edited by uiruki at 21:43:35 10-07-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.