Following Recently Completed Games Page 646

• Steifybobbins 1 Oct 2020 22:42:22 710 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you beat Hades 10 times (I think) you actually see credits. Over the course of those runs (and faliures) more of the main story and side stories develope. Basically what I'm saying is A. It's not due in this thread yet ;-) and B. Theres loads more fun to be had. With a bit of luck I can beat it most tries now. If i do die, i die at the very end but it's still not gotten old. Tons for me to do and collect still too. If i was to be critical I'd say the weapon upgrades are less upgrades more restyles and i find in most cases the originals are more fun to use.

Mola_Ram wrote:
    I completed Hades (on the Switch), in that I just finished a run of it. There's more story to go, and I'll definitely keep going, but it's probably completed enough to go in this thread.

It's reeeeeaaaaally good.

The difficulty balance is perfect. There's a great mixture of you getting naturally more skilled at the game, and heaps and heaps of unlocks to make progress easier or harder. There's also an optional eas(ier) scalable difficulty setting that you can switch on whenever you like, if you hit a wall. I've lost many more runs than I've won, but never felt frustrated like I did with Dead Cells.

It encourages experimentation with the different weapons, and there's huge potential variety with the weapon aspects and Boons. The combat itself is really crunchy and satisfying (though I wish there was a bit more boss variety).

And it has a story! And characters with their own stories that react to what you're doing over many runs! It doesn't all work for me - I still don't really know why Hades goes to so much effort to stop you from leaving - but considering how bare-bones most roguelite stories are, it's a real breath of fresh air.

Oh, and it looks and sounds great too. Fully voice acted, with not a dud among them.

The hype is real and justified. It's not quite my GotY (that goes to Disco Elysium), but it's a very close second. BUY IT NOW.
  • Rum_Monkey 1 Oct 2020 22:45:53 1,457 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Mario Odyssey

Charming game with some nice secrets and a good central gameplay mechanic with the hat. Some of the worlds are much better than others and it let's itself down with an overreliance on boss fights towards the end. I'm still amazed what they can get to play smoothly on a switch lite, it's a great console.

7.5/10
  • Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2020 01:42:13 24,589 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Steifybobbins well, it's too late, I already put it here :p

But maybe I'll post again once I get to the magic number of completions (currently on 2).
  • Tomo 2 Oct 2020 01:57:24 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    REmake 2 - 9/10

Finished Leon A and now Claire B. Think I prefer Claire's story overall. Plus the grenade launcher is so strong.

It's really everything you could hope for in a remake. Probably the best remake ever made. Can't really think of any others that come close.
  • Trowel 2 Oct 2020 05:26:23 23,800 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    God of War 8/10

A stunning game in places, but the open world hub leads to some lumpy pacing. I was exploring the Lake of Nine a bit too much, which meant that my progression was directionless - I was close to abandoning until I committed to the main storyline and the Mountain well and truly grabbed me by the scruff of the neck. The real star of the show is the relationship between Kratos and Atreus - stunning storytelling. Just a shame that the last few hours is a bit of a mess - there's so much jumping about the game world that I completely lost track of where I was, and the final battle is nothing to write home about.
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Oct 2020 07:19:17 10,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    If you beat Hades 10 times (I think) you actually see credits. Over the course of those runs (and faliures) more of the main story and side stories develope. Basically what I'm saying is A. It's not due in this thread yet ;-) and B. Theres loads more fun to be had. With a bit of luck I can beat it most tries now. If i do die, i die at the very end but it's still not gotten old. Tons for me to do and collect still too. If i was to be critical I'd say the weapon upgrades are less upgrades more restyles and i find in most cases the originals are more fun to use.

Mola_Ram wrote:
    I completed Hades (on the Switch), in that I just finished a run of it. There's more story to go, and I'll definitely keep going, but it's probably completed enough to go in this thread.

It's reeeeeaaaaally good.

The difficulty balance is perfect. There's a great mixture of you getting naturally more skilled at the game, and heaps and heaps of unlocks to make progress easier or harder. There's also an optional eas(ier) scalable difficulty setting that you can switch on whenever you like, if you hit a wall. I've lost many more runs than I've won, but never felt frustrated like I did with Dead Cells.

It encourages experimentation with the different weapons, and there's huge potential variety with the weapon aspects and Boons. The combat itself is really crunchy and satisfying (though I wish there was a bit more boss variety).

And it has a story! And characters with their own stories that react to what you're doing over many runs! It doesn't all work for me - I still don't really know why Hades goes to so much effort to stop you from leaving - but considering how bare-bones most roguelite stories are, it's a real breath of fresh air.

Oh, and it looks and sounds great too. Fully voice acted, with not a dud among them.

The hype is real and justified. It's not quite my GotY (that goes to Disco Elysium), but it's a very close second. BUY IT NOW.
    To be fair... I have beaten it 21 times now and my thoughts are the same as Mola’s... it is valid to be put in here.
  • Kangoo 2 Oct 2020 23:11:06 1,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Days Gone 8/10

Wanted something easy to pick up and play after finishing TLOU2 and had this downloaded for over a year so gave it a try.

Initial impressions were poor but I kept playing and finished it. Really weird that it's janky as hell, frame rates drop frequently, ai is poor, loading is awful, quests are derivative and came across so many bugs even with the latest patches loaded.

Yet, it's massively fun to play and the horde mechanic is brilliant. Its not too long to outstay its welcome and the characters are likeable.

Would love to see a sequel on PS5 as I think they could really push the hordes with rhe number of zombies on screen and much better performance and loading.
  • Steifybobbins 2 Oct 2020 23:11:44 710 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @Steifybobbins well, it's too late, I already put it here :p

But maybe I'll post again once I get to the magic number of completions (currently on 2).
    Mind you given my sketchy record for Completing games I'd allow one completion to be considered done

Just done my 6th and the story is ramping up 😀
  • dfunked09 3 Oct 2020 00:19:46 517 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I beat the first boss in Hades after a few runs, but always seem to get bitch slapped by her on any runs since then.
    Probably doesn't help that I tend to fire it up after a few drinks...

I'm definitely loving the game and will be back for more, but getting god roll (heh) perks on one run that mean you can steamroll your way through everything, then playing a few more runs and just getting merely OK stuff is a bit demoralising. How many more games do I need to play before I luck out and get a combo like that again?

I haven't finished it, so what do I know anyways...

Edited by dfunked09 at 00:21:10 03-10-2020
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2020 00:25:03 24,589 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As with most roguelike/lite games, it's more about doing your best with what you get, rather than expecting to get broken combos all the time.

But if you want an easier time of it (without using God Mode), I personally found the shield weapon to be much easier to progress with at the start.
  • docrob 3 Oct 2020 01:16:14 1,616 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Divinity - Original Sin 2 (PC)

What can I say about this? It's a fantastic game. Rich, detailed and with a surprisingly deep story for all of the characters.

It's also insanely long. I am a bit of a completionist when it comes to games like this, but my playthrough topped out at about 200 hours. That's way more time than I have to spare. Also, the final Act felt a bit cheap at times. The final fight was both impossibly hard and relatively easy, according to your dialogue choices.

So - a flawed masterpiece. I enjoyed it a lot, and at the same time I am really glad it's done with now.

8/10

Edited by docrob at 01:16:30 03-10-2020
  • lordofdeadside 3 Oct 2020 19:18:57 1,363 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ghost of Tsushima

Enjoyable open world adventure even if it does bring very little to the table.

It's slightly below par animation and wooden cut scenes do feel a lot like an early Assassin's Creed. The actual landscape and texture work isn't top tier either, but it's all so they can ramp up the lighting and they've done it to incredible effect.

It would have been nice to have a little choice in the main story conceit of abandoning the samurai code too, it all played out a little predictably.

Still, I enjoyed my time with it.

7.5/10

Observation

Loved the concept of playing as the AI in a 2001-esque space station. Visually fantastic with really nicely designed UI, important as that's what you spend a lot of time interacting with.

A solid script and decent voice acting, let down a little by terrible face animation. Made me realise how much more powerful games can be when they don't show people directly.

I also found myself reaching for a guide in places too, not for the puzzles themselves, just where to go next. It really needed an objective marker, which actually would have been perfect as you are playing through security cameras & bots.

8/10
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2020 20:07:42 15,266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Forager 8/10

It's fun while it's going, but in the end it's kinda... meh. It takes a clue or two from Terraria (and doesn't pretend it didn't); it's just that Terraria had much more of an endgame and more incentive to come back. Forager endgame is completely broken, I have like two dozen drones now that elminate/do everything in sight while I'm having trouble to even see where my player character is. The endgame is basically an endless raid that just spams ever more of its few bosses all over the place.

And I have to mention that it's pretty broken, tbh it does still feel like early access/beta. There are minor niggles like bridges built causing issues because they're not exactly matching the grid, but there are more pressing issues like power plants not working. Power plants increase the efficiency of nearby structures, but whenever you load the game, they don't work. You have to place a furnace (or any other structure, but furnaces are cheap) in their vicinity (or destroy one) to make them work again. This extends to leaving buildings and even leaving the skills menu. Yeah, after going to the skills menu you'll have to plant or destroy a structure just to make your power plants work again.

It's kinda fun to some point, but at some point it gets just repetitive. The glitches don't help really. It was fun while it lasted but it's no Terraria. 8/10.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:12:17 03-10-2020
  • Rogueywon 3 Oct 2020 23:14:03 9,486 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Star Wars Squadrons (PC) - 6.5/10

So much wasted potential...

The agonising thing is that the skeleton of a proper X-Wing/TIE Fighter game is just about visible, but they don't ever put the flesh on it. Instead, the combat is dumbed down to levels only just above the Rogue Squadron games (actually, that might be unfair on Rogue Squadron, which had other strengths) and anything potentially interesting in gameplay terms in the singleplayer campaign is sacrificed on the altar of multiplayer balance.

There's a lot it does right. Technically, it ran pretty well for me (PC, non-VR). It's a really good advert for HDR, as the explosions really pop when you enable it. It's great that they kept so many ship-types and so much of the nomenclature from the old games - I loved seeing the boxy old freighters and did a big grin when they refered to a frigate as a Nebulon-B. But even there... where at the B-Wings? The TIE Advanceds? Frustratingly, one of those even appears in one mission. But hey, it's fun that they kept the whole "scan targets" thing and the component-targetting when fighting capital ships.

But oh my word there is so much dumb. The writing lurches from one cringe-inducing moment to the next. Remember how TIE Fighter gave the universe some texture and gave the Imperials a weird kind of nobility? None of that here. Instead, it's Space Hippies vs Puppy Murderers. The Puppy Murderers actually end up less annoying. The New Republic cast is utterly loathesome and I wanted to kill them all. It's absolutely the Disney version of Star Wars, where every line of dialogue sounds like something scripted for a minimum-wage "cast member" at a Disney theme-park. The nods to the old Expanded Universe just serve as a reminder of what a pale, shallow imitation the new one is.

And the combat loses most of the depth of the old games. Thanks to the overwhelming need to maintain multiplayer balance, all of the starfighters blend into a big mish-mash of blandness. The game seems terrified to have actual space-combat. Space is big and doesn't have much in it. Instead, every single mission out of the 14 in the 6-7 hour campaign seems to force you to fight in a confined area. Tactics go out the window - mostly, you're just pressing the "target next objective" button, killing whatever pops up then rinsing and repeating.

Maybe I'm jaded. The old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games had sharp edges and it's impossible to imagine the modern console player going for them. The game does a reasonable job of fitting all of its controls onto a console controller, rather than needing a keyboard overlay. But still... overwhelming stench of disappointment.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 4 Oct 2020 07:02:17 376 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon Super helpful review, thanks. Sounds like worst fears confirmed.
  • uiruki 4 Oct 2020 08:25:30 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like they botched the VR implementation on PC too, as it doesn't work above 60fps properly and forces itself to undersample in VR mode for extra blurriness.
  • Samildanach 4 Oct 2020 11:18:38 437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Double Dragon on Gameboy (emulated)
    This and Duck Tales were the first games I ever had, not counting stuff on the BBC Micro, and I could never beat it. I remember once getting as far as the final part of the the last mission before being knocked onto spikes by a yet another annoying insta-death moment.
    Now, with the magic of save states I can merrily bludgeon my way through to the end credits at last.
    I had more fun than I expected. Repeatedly punching baddies in the face has a very pleasing crunchiness to it and it is short enough that it didn't outstay its welcome. It still has a couple of pissing annoying sections like the moving platforms over lava, but at least I could keep trying at them rather than being sent back to the start of the level with repeat fails.

In all my years gaming, I have only given up on 10 games that I have bought/been bought, and this was one of them. I tend to stick to any game until I see the credits at least, as you never know what treat they have stored up in the end game. On the GameBoy, the other two unbeaten games I had were Castlevania Adventure and Batman The Animated Series, both too damn hard back then. Time to see them off as well!
  • Tomo 4 Oct 2020 11:33:25 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    To the Hades players... Is the combat/feel similar to Bastion? It's the only Supergiant game I've played. Tbh they all look like reskins of each other.
  • richardiox 4 Oct 2020 12:10:02 8,994 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    To the Hades players... Is the combat/feel similar to Bastion? It's the only Supergiant game I've played. Tbh they all look like reskins of each other.
    Combat is way way better than Bastion. Much more arcadey like a proper twin stick shooter.
  • dfunked09 4 Oct 2020 13:21:57 517 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    So finished my first run of Hades... It's a bit bloody good! Probably a contender for GotY already.

I'm normally more of a gamer that plays for the journey rather than the challenge, but this kept dragging me back in for just one more go.
    Fantastic story, VA, soundtrack, nice varied combat with different weapons/boons.

I ended up beating it with a bit of a cheesy combo - the final weapon (gun/grenade launcher thing) with the hammer upgrade that makes it do 300% damage and fire slower + damage you
    Came close to beating it with the shield before that, but there's no way I would have survived Hades' second phase

So glad that I stuck with it after my initial (wrong) thoughts on a previous page.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2020 13:36:39 24,589 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting that you beat it with the railgun first. All of my completions (6 so far) have been with the shield and bow, I just can't seem to get anything else to work past the second area.

The sword is hardest by far for me. I get hit ever, ever so much.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Oct 2020 14:34:19 10,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah the rail gun for me was not an easy completion. I ended up using the 3 shot burst that doesn’t need reloading and the second completion with it I had upped the magazine.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Oct 2020 14:35:00 10,586 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Interesting that you beat it with the railgun first. All of my completions (6 so far) have been with the shield and bow, I just can't seem to get anything else to work past the second area.

The sword is hardest by far for me. I get hit ever, ever so much.
    My favourite runs have been with the fists but the easiest have been the spear.
  • Saul_Iscariot 4 Oct 2020 19:22:37 3,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon I have just finished it, I enjoyed it for what it was. But, as you rightly point out, there is so much wasted potential. The story seemed to offer ample opportunities for twists and turns. But everyone of them seemed to be ignored. And it is a shame, as a great story can lift a game from average to great.

I have only dabbled into the online multi player and training modes, so the game may gain more traction when I become a more competent pilot. I think you are unfair to compare it to the old X-Wing series. Those games had a real depth to them. This is a budget game, and so it was always going to be lacking there. But there is the framework to build a bigger and better sequel, if Motive are allowed to.

I found it hard to get on with in VR, I played it on PS4 Pro. It seemed to just get too hectic and became easy to lose track of what I should be doing. That may be more my fault than the games.
  • Malek86 4 Oct 2020 20:20:33 10,767 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon did they differentiate in any way between X-wings and TIE Fighters, or is it just minor variations for the sake of balanced multiplayer?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.