Following Recently Completed Games Page 647

• Rogueywon 4 Oct 2020 20:33:24 9,484 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86 X-Wings have shields, TIE Fighters don't. That sounds right, yes? Except TIE Fighters can still take a shitload of damage and have ways to regenerate their hull strength. They're all completely flattened in spec terms and the whole equipment setup thing further reduces any uniqueness.

Think of them as different loadouts in CoD or something and you're not far off the mark.
  • StixxUK 4 Oct 2020 21:10:54 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I haven't yet had much luck with the fists... just take too much damage from being in close. I guess it needs a combination of protection (maybe something to do with movement or knock back) and all out DPS to be viable?

I've beaten it with the bow, and gotten to the boss once with spear, once with something else (can't actually remember what).

Do you need to complete a run at each heat level to unlock any bounties at the next level? I got a bit trigger happy spending my Titan blood after the first completion thinking I only had to beat the first area boss at the next heat level, makes it a bit different if I need to do a full run!

Great game, I think what I love most is that every run is different but you can shape it. All about knowing what you can and can't change and working with it.
  • Trowel 4 Oct 2020 21:20:12 23,800 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Do we even have a Hades thread? It's fookin brilliant.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Oct 2020 21:23:09 10,586 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @StixxUK nah, you only need to beat it once with a weapon to unlock the next heat level.

The fists are great as you can stun lock non armoured enemies to oblivion.

My fastest clear was 23 minutes with fists. I beat it on switch for the first time today - 7th run which wasn't bad.
  • dfunked09 4 Oct 2020 21:40:39 517 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    There probably should be a dedicated spoiler allowed thread for it. It's pretty much the perfect "just one more go" games, but then you realise that you've been playing for well over half an hour for each "short" run.
  • StixxUK 4 Oct 2020 21:47:21 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah and the various tactics definitely merit some discussion as there's no "right" way to do it really.

It's dangerously addictive.

@Graxlar_v3 what I meant was - I can't just whack it up to heat 2 to get more titan blood, until I've beaten heat 1 at least once.

Getting there, I've reached the boss 4 times now, 2 of which were with not particularly great builds.

Edited by StixxUK at 11:16:39 05-10-2020
  • Saul_Iscariot 4 Oct 2020 22:10:46 3,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon Compared to the flying sections in Battlefront, this felt like a very backwards step. When you chose an X-Wing or an A-Wing, or their Imperial counterparts, you knew the difference, and how it played out strategically.

In Squadrons I tend to pick the vehicle that has the better cockpit view. I didnít feel like the Y-Wing was able to take more damage than the X or A-Wing. And that is one of the things that really takes something away from the game. I want to feel like my choice of ship is more strategically important.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Oct 2020 14:52:56 24,589 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, completed Hades for real this time. :p

See review on previous page. Spoilers: I really liked it.
  • CitizenGeek 5 Oct 2020 19:09:16 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Prey. 7/10.
    Solid game, decently challenging, well designed and some excellent RPG elements. No one thing stands out as particularly great, but it was compelling enough that I was surprised at how quickly I racked up 40+ hours with it. The story was not very sophisticated but still enjoyable. Combat is a bit clumsy but ultimately I had good fun with it. I'm intrigued by the Mooncrash DLC but it's not top of my list.

Horizon: Zero Dawn. 8/10.
    I don't usually like open world games but had been meaning to play Horizon for a while due to the hype. It mostly lives up to its stellar reputation, though there's the usual open world tedium for sure. Aloy is a great character and the world/backstory is fascinating, combat was challenging but never frustrating and the side quests are varied and interesting for the most part. I started the Frozen Wilds DLC but, after spending 60-70 hours with the main game, it didn't really keep my attention. May go back to it some day but not in any rush.

Edited by CitizenGeek at 19:14:58 05-10-2020
  • Samildanach 5 Oct 2020 19:30:13 437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Part 2 of my previously long abandoned games now completed and we turn to Castlevania Adventure on the Gameboy.

While Double Dragon (also Gameboy) was an okay game with some issues, Castlevania Adventure is just a bad game. It may be one of the worst I have ever played (bar BBCmicro shovelware) as there is so much that makes it painful. I had to check my emulator wasn't running it in some terrible slow-mo mode until I realised that was its normal turgid speed...that is until slowdown occurs, even with only one enemy on screen. There is a slight delay between pressing the button and Belmont actually reacting with his whip, which means you often have to attack before you know you need to attack. Inevitably you get hit which then reduces your whip strength to a feeble bit of string.
    I could cope with that but what really kills the enjoyment is the combination of awful platforming where pixel perfect precision is needed in ridiculously unfair settings full of instadeath pits and spikes, together with dreadful hit detection on said spikes. Belmont will die seemingly from a heart attack if he only gets vaguely close to the myriad of pointy death spikes that litter the game.
    There are four measly stages though they nonetheless all drag on tediously. I would say the first half of stage 1 is okay, but after that the pain/tedium begins. It comes to a head in stage 3 which may be one of the least enjoyable sections of gaming ever created. The whole level has walls of spikes closing in on you constantly, first from above, then from below up a tower of near impossible jumps, before a final stretch being chased by more spikes from the side. One tiny mistake in your timing and it is right back to the start for you.
    I never made it past that level back in the day, and only with the magic of save states was I able to put this wretched game to eternal rest.
    The good? Well the sequel was bloody brilliant. Oh, this game? I suppose the music is pretty good.
  • dominalien 5 Oct 2020 22:03:02 9,936 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    EG recommends Squadrons. Iím sorry, Reporter Emma Kent, I trust Rougey more than you, I donít know how old he is but you surely havenít played x-wing or tie fighter when they were the best thing in the world.

That makes me ageist and a very bad person, doesnít it?
  • dfunked09 5 Oct 2020 22:25:43 517 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @dominalien

Pretty sure you need to be cancelled now. Nothing else for it.
  • dominalien 5 Oct 2020 22:32:10 9,936 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíll just go cancel myself now then.
  • QBX 6 Oct 2020 11:40:46 192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Turing Test (Game Pass)

Puzzler ala Portal where you have to work out how to get to the next room. I was enjoying this until about halfway when the puzzles became a bit more finnicky and started to piss me off. It's plot is a bit more serious so lacked the fun factor to make it a more enjoyable experience.

7/10

Yooka-Laylee (Game Pass)

Completed the worlds a while ago but only beat the final boss before it was removed.

The nostalgia glasses are on but I really enjoyed it. It takes me back to that era of Banjo & Kazooie but also brings a lot of the frustrations with it (shit bosses/anything with a timer) that really shouldn't be there. All in all it's a worthy successor and would love to see a sequel.

9/10
  • uiruki 6 Oct 2020 12:34:51 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    38. Hajimari no Kiseki - PS4 - 4/5

It's Sen no Kiseki 5, for all that means both good and bad. I really liked the battle system as they just completely gave up on attempting to balance it; the ingame gacha showers you with extremely powerful spells and abilities, it's easy to keep the massive cast of characters level appropriate and you're just steaming through bosses by the end. Great fun and with the extra bonus characters in the 'hub' dungeon it's just fan service central.

I can't really go into any more as at that point we'd be in spoiler territory (happy to if anyone is actually curious) but I'm looking forward to a new start with the next series. The issues I had with Sen 4 are still very much here, and a reset of the scope is exactly what the writing team need. It didn't actively annoy me as much as the last couple of games but they also kind of forgot to write in a proper enemy. Weird stuff.
  • StixxUK 6 Oct 2020 12:40:02 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Reaching the final boss in Hades most runs now... Usually only with one death defiance though which doesn't seem to be enough unless you have a very strong build.

Definitely feels within reach. Really loving the progression in this game, perfect balance of unlocks/upgrades, knowledge and skill growth. GOTY so far for me, can't imagine anything beating it.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2020 13:49:06 24,589 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The final boss is much easier once you recognise his attack patterns. I can usually do it on one (full) health bar now, though obviously having various mirror upgrades/boons helps out a lot.
  • StixxUK 6 Oct 2020 17:07:20 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I generally do OK but its just a war of attrition (prob not doing enough damage) and then when he does hit he often hits hard - and multiple times if you take your eye off the ball.

Earlier I had a decent run and nearly beat him but was cooking at the same time, got distracted and that was pretty much the end of me. Just need the extra wiggle room that those extra death defiance provide.
  • Steifybobbins 6 Oct 2020 22:31:00 710 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram awesome I did at the weekend too. Great game
  • Steifybobbins 6 Oct 2020 22:33:54 710 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    I generally do OK but its just a war of attrition (prob not doing enough damage) and then when he does hit he often hits hard - and multiple times if you take your eye off the ball.

Earlier I had a decent run and nearly beat him but was cooking at the same time, got distracted and that was pretty much the end of me. Just need the extra wiggle room that those extra death defiance provide.
    Change your skill to the yellow death defiance one at the mirror. That gives you one for sure then equip the tooth.
  • Rogueywon 6 Oct 2020 23:18:44 9,484 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Remnant: From the Ashes (PC) - 8/10

Took me a while to finish this one (first started it at launch), but when I did finish it, I finished it twice; first in singleplayer and then 30 minutes later in co-op.

It's actually a lot of fun. It's interesting playing a Soulslike that is definitely a third person shooter, not a melee game at heart. The slight randomisation elements (you may see different dungeons or bosses on different playthroughs) is an interesting touch. Difficulty is maybe just slightly below the midpoint for the genre.

But my word it's short. As in, 15 hours or so, which is tiny for a Soulslike. We're playing around with Adventure Mode in co-op now, which extends the playtime a bit, but this really is tiny. Also... there's major difficulty spike. The game as a whole is, as I said above, maybe slightly below average for the genre, but there's one fight just past the game's mid point (two bosses on a narrow bridge) which could give Ornstein and Smough a run for their money and possibly beat them.

But yeah, was fun.
  • Devilligan 7 Oct 2020 22:49:21 643 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Bought this on release, but got distracted by other games and dropped it after a few hours.

Decided to have another crack at it in this great year of clearing my backlog and discovered it to be a huuuuuuuge and mostly satisfying JRPG. The only thing I didn't really like is some slightly dull design towards the end of the game, but it was all saved by one of the most epic endings I've seen in years.

All in all, I loved it. Really surprised it's not talked about as more of a classic.

9/10
  • uiruki 7 Oct 2020 23:28:09 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    39. Strange Brigade - PC - 3/5

Perfectly fine. Runs great, really nice and efficient engine. Played with a fun Boys' Own kind of flourish. Definitely would be better in multiplayer but well balanced solo.

Edited by uiruki at 23:28:27 07-10-2020
  • OnlyJoeKing 8 Oct 2020 00:54:16 1,150 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I finished Katana Zero on Switch the other day.

Cracking game. Very much like Hotline Miami, from a side scrolling perspective. Interesting story, with tight, responsive gameplay mechanics. Gorgeous, classy, highly-polished presentation.

Top drawer.
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 Oct 2020 00:59:08 3,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing Breaks into house and searched top drawer. Finds one of those early Wiimotes with the haptic feedback that Mummy used to keep in her top drawer. And the same cherry flavoured lube.
  • FoxMoody 8 Oct 2020 09:39:18 100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Replayed and finished Brutal Legend on Brutal difficulty.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.