Recently Completed Games Page 653

• Bichii 5 Nov 2020 15:57:50 3,856 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Samurai jack: battle through time.

A mostly good fun action game. Mostly just a hack and slash game with very limited platforming and exploration. Being samurai jack definitely elevates a pretty average game overall. The last level is one of the shittest things I've ever seen in gaming. I didn't die for the first half of the game, then each of the final few missions I died 1-3 times. The final level when I got to 12 deaths I felt the need to launch the controller into the TV so just put it on the easiest setting to end the rage. Imagine playing dark souls and on the last level the games just throws dozens of thrash mobs at you over and over though out the level. Like dark souls the combat system doesn't allow you to manage that many attacks incoming from several angles with the dodge/block system. What makes it worse is how the inventory works you could easily get stuck on a checkpoint with no heal items left and you'd have to do the penultimate room (a fucking joke how many enemies you need to kill before the next checkpoint) and the final boss with no heals.

So maybe a 6.5/10 overall but that final hour is about a 2/10.
  • Rogueywon 7 Nov 2020 14:14:38 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wasteland 3 (PC) - 9/10

That's a high score to give a game with a lot of flaws, but the stuff it does well, it does very well.

Those flaws... it's buggy, rough from a technical perspective and has a good few balance flaws. Quests are prone to glitching, mechanics are badly explained and a few times I had to backtrack to an earlier save after hitting a progress-blocking bug. Those are not good things.

But when it's good, it's damned good. It's an incredibly rare example of a game that does political themes without going the facile culture-wars route. As far as major titles go, that puts it in a small group with... erm... Persona 5 and not much else. Some of the decisions you face are as tough as those in The Witcher 3, and, like that game, there isn't usually a clear "good" or "bad" option.

Combat is fun, being a blend of the XCom reboots and Divinity: Original Sin. Despite a few balance problems, it generally works extremely well.

The music is fucking amazing. Seriously, this has the soundtrack of the year and probably the best game soundtrack I've heard since... well... Peronsa 5.

Plus it's actually funny. Yes, it has a serious grimdark plot. But unlike Obsidian's recent RPGs, from Pillars of Eternity onwards, it knows the importance of lightening the tone sometimes and having some daft, surreal bits. It has the best parrot in all of gaming.

So yeah, flawed masterpiece.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Nov 2020 17:41:30 16,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finished Mario Sunshine today. All 120 shines.

It is certainly not a bad game but I was not itching to play it when I was away from it like 64. And I struggled to pull myself away from Galaxy when I started that straight afterwards. (Already gotten over 20 stars).

The final boss on Sunshine was a huge disappointment and more luck than skill to overcome. Also having a boat bit before made it even worse. Pretty much left a stale taste. The lack of long jump also hurt.

First time around I didnít mind the blue coins but they felt like a chore this time. This detracted from the overall experience.

7/10
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Nov 2020 17:33:48 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Children of Morta

Almost gave up yesterday for a while but gave it one more go and beat the end boss. I had better runes/powers this time and made a difference, all the other times it was useless random crap.

But its a really good game that (like Hades) makes the Rouge lite genre actually fun as your money carries over. So even if you lose, you can still upgrade and get further next time. Also other characters you can play as (which have different fighting styles) once leveled up their runes and skills can help other characters, which is nice feature.

The narrator is awful tbh, its really corny and cringey. Sometimes the bosses can be a bit cheap but thats the only 2 bad things.

8.5//10
  • docrob 8 Nov 2020 17:45:40 1,683 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Half-Life: Alyx

This really is a showcase for what VR can do. At heart it's a corridor FPS, with one clear path forward at all times, but it looks fantastic and plays flawlessly. It's taken me a while to play through, but it has been a fantastic adventure. I really hope we'll be getting more VR games like this in future.

I rarely if ever manage to finish an FPS, so arguably this one is easier than most, but I had a blast with it and it never felt unfair (though some of the bits near the end did require a bit of lateral thinking!)

9/10
  • Nanocrystal 9 Nov 2020 03:09:14 2,268 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mafia 3 - 7.5/10

After absolutely loving this for the first ten hours or so, the repetition in mission design and the clunky combat started to grate and spoiled it a bit. Still enjoyed it overall, particularly the soundtrack, and main characters Lincoln and Donovan who were well written and really likeable.
  • papalazar0u 9 Nov 2020 08:40:22 188 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 10/10

Easily the best VR game i've played and also one of the best, most inventive, smartest platformers ever. I smiled all the way through, a joy to play.
  • Rodimus-Prime 9 Nov 2020 10:48:59 393 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution 'directors cut'.

Even on the eve of being two console generations old, this game is amazing. Replaying it actually helped sooth my restless spirit over the fact that i haven't been able to pre-order a PS5.

I'm intending to use the time until i am able to get one to finish everything i started on the PS3.

I had only played the original version before, and the few extra cut scenes did a really good job of leading into Mankind Divided. I feel like i'm probably gonna have to replay that next now.

It's an easy 10/10.
  • garryo'neill 9 Nov 2020 12:15:34 48 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dombat you really summed this up well! I read this and nodded the whole way.

It's somewhere between 8-9 for me as well, I was utterly addicted to it when started Act 3 - the story really picked up.

Amazing display from sucker punch though it's a massive step up from infamous.

I actually don't feel like we need a sequel to it either - I would prefer they go do something else.
  • RyanDS 9 Nov 2020 17:27:24 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Horizon Zero Dawn

Wow. Bounced off this hard when I tried last year. Decided to try to clear my backlog and wow...

I think this may be the best story in a game I have ever played, the world, the history, the characters, all amazing. Gameplay was a little janky at times, especially trying to work out where to climb, but the game is more than the sum of it's parts. It's been a long time since I played until 3am as I just wanted to find one more audiolog, one more upgrade to learn what was happening.

10/10

And 3rd 10/10 game in a row for me! (Spiderman and TLoU2)

All downhill from here...

Edit: Genuinely dusty in here at the end scene.

Edited by RyanDS at 17:29:59 09-11-2020
  • Steifybobbins 9 Nov 2020 18:51:05 727 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No More Heroes - Switch

Fun, fun fun. No More Heroes is lewd, dumb, interesting and clever all at once. In essence It is very much the sum of its parts. If deconstructed its incredibly hard to recommend but taken as a whole it's a glorious action game where every action feels satisfying. Deliberately boring sections manage to avoid being actually boring and the boss battles are packed with character and are super fun to experience.

Basically Its kill Bill via Japan.

Its awesome

9/10 STRAWBERRIES ON THE SHORTCAKE
  • wuntyate 10 Nov 2020 09:46:22 16,022 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silent Hill 3

The other one in the HD collection, on the One X. Again, it's a poor remaster but it's far from unplayable. Most noticable thing this time around was the out of sync voices and the low res shadows (more prominent as there are far more in-engine cutscenes in this than SH2). Apart from that, I don't think I really had an issue with anything.

As a direct sequel to SH1, it weaves in far more of the order and their intentions, filling in a lot of Alessa stuff and... to be honest I tuned out. One of the reasons I love SH2 so much is that it doesn't really feature anything from the "main" narrative, and stands alone as it's own thing. I find the whole Order stuff a bit too pantomime and SH3 veers into that territory too often for my liking. The enemies are more non-descript as well, with most of them not really meaning anything symbolic.

However, it's still a phenomenal game and more than a little fucked up at parts. There are some brilliant moments and some right creepy shit that's still incredibly effective. The puzzels are on a par with 2 and apart from a relatively mundane retread of the hospital (albeit with just-as-spooky-in-a-different-way nurses), the area design and the way they again mash it up with the otherworld is brilliantly done and there's a good variety of weapons. Ended up favouring the katana through most of it.

I would actually say it's creepier and more fucked up than SH2, and I loved that about it.

So. Not as good as SH2 imo which I think for me will forever be the best SH game ever made, but still utterly brilliant where it counts.

11 dead merry-go-round horses out of 12

Edited by wuntyate at 09:47:24 10-11-2020
  • DrStrangelove 11 Nov 2020 03:49:22 15,330 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doom (2016) and Quake 1

Everything's been said about Doom I guess. However I was surprised just how good Quake 1 still is. It really needs the soundtrack though, that somehow adds a ton of atmosphere to those dark blocky mid-90s graphics. I believe it was this that rose my attention to NIN back when I was 14, nobody I knew at the time knew them and it took a while until I found a shop that even had anything NIN.

John Carmack said the game is thematically a mess because they just didn't really know which direction to go, and that's why you have gun-wielding soldiers, demons, chainsaw/grenade launcher ogres and medieval knights in the same level, or some facility followed by something castle-like followed by some weird lava pit place. But I agree with some retrospective I've read that this actually gives it a unique surreal vibe. Nothing makes any sense really, and what are those structures even for? They seem to have no other purpose than to make you shit your pants and die. This makes it feel like you're going through some nightmare instead of anything resembling awake space. Doom 1/2 had a lot of nonsensical places too, but it was bright and colourful and had heavy metal soundtracks. The utter darkness of Quake, especially with that soundtrack, makes all the difference here.

Action is really good, frantic as usual, especially when fiends are involved. Those blob things from episode 4 can fuck off though. One thing that caught my attention while playing this next to Doom is that it has much better weapon balance. I mean, e.g. Doom's plasma gun and rocket launcher are far too weak, while other weapons are downright broken, especially with a rune that gives you unlimited ammo. Quake doesn't have anything like that, the weapon lineup is pretty well-rounded.

But what's best is level design, playing it along with Doom really highlights this. Doom mostly provides a bunch of arenas to fight waves of monsters in, Quake has these tightly designed levels id was known for at the time (and I think they reached their peak here). If you imagine there were no enemies, I think Doom would feel pretty empty whereas Quake would still have ingenious mazes to explore.

It has this funny thing going on with traps. There is no surprise that something is a trap, because everything is a trap. If it could be a trap, then it is a trap. If nasty monsters could be hiding behind that corner, then nasty monsters are hiding behind that corner. If there's a key you have to take or a button you have to press, it's a trap. The "surprise" is simply what exactly will happen (most of the times you're suddenly surrounded by monsters, but they may be exposed by walls going down, being teleported in, etc.).

Somewhat later in the game when you think you know how this works, sometimes they add a little extra spice, a trap within a trap. Like you figure that you take that key, then quickly run to the corridor you were coming from and move backwards through that while shooting the monsters chasing you. That's exactly what happens, only that you're suddenly falling into a lava pit because the level designer removed the bridge leading to the corridor. Well played sir. I like to imagine the grin on his face because I did exactly what he had in mind. Snap.

Late in the game, when you are familiar with this, he lets you peek into a room you'll have to enter and you can see some horrible contraption in plain sight. It's like the designer is smiling and saying "we both know that's not the real trap, but let's see if you like what I have prepared for you. Let's see if you saw that coming." I did not. You evil bastard.

This is actually one of the reasons why I recommend not to save the game all the time (I always save at the beginning of each level). Saving before each trap and just looking what happens would really water the experience down, and you couldn't really appreciate how well the level designer murdered you. Dealing with the traps thoroughly, getting prepared for what might or might not happen, is part of the game. Sure it can be frustrating at times, but I mean, the maps aren't that big.

Well this was much longer than expected. I'm wondering if I should give it 9.5 or 10 because it's not perfect. But by that reasoning, no game ever would get a 10 (yes yes I know, except for Witcher 3). But considering how good and unique it still is even after 24 years, this has to be one of my top best games of all time. And those get 10.

Quake - 10/10
    Doom - 9/10

edit: If you want to play Quake and have the soundtrack as music files, the original game bought on Steam etc. won't play them (I actually couldn't even get it to run after burning it on audio CD). Many source ports however can do that. I played this with the popular Mark V port, but I wish I hadn't because I had some problems with it. The worst was that it sometimes wouldn't register fire button presses, or even worse, releases. Your rocket launcher not stopping to shoot can be pretty unfortunate. Other annoyances include the inability to have the soundtrack louder than the sound effects. Sadly, once you've decided to go for a certain port, you may have to stick with it because their savegames aren't compatible with each other. After my playthrough I switched to DirectQ which works flawlessly so far.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:49:24 11-11-2020
  • Nitrous 12 Nov 2020 10:09:05 2,127 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Little Nightmares (PS4+DLC)
    Main game 9/10 and DLC 8/10 and can't wait to see how the next game turns out. If you like Limbo or inside then its well worth a look especially if like me you purchased it a sale and left it in the back log. Looks and plays great although I would have been happy enough without the DLC.

Soma (PS4) 7/10
    Another game from the backlog which is now five years old and and starting to show a bit in places. It also doesn't run all that great on the base PS4 with the fps taking hit in places especially on checkpoints. It's got a decent enough story and the atmosphere is great and while the newer safe mode might be the easiest way to play you do end up with more time to explore. That said I didn't really enjoy the gameplay and by the end I'd had enough. Probably took me about 5 hours to complete mostly becuase I'd get lost back tracking through areas.
  • Opti 12 Nov 2020 16:58:29 107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    No More Heroes - Switch

Fun, fun fun. No More Heroes is lewd, dumb, interesting and clever all at once. In essence It is very much the sum of its parts. If deconstructed its incredibly hard to recommend but taken as a whole it's a glorious action game where every action feels satisfying. Deliberately boring sections manage to avoid being actually boring and the boss battles are packed with character and are super fun to experience.

Basically Its kill Bill via Japan.

Its awesome

9/10 STRAWBERRIES ON THE SHORTCAKE
    Did you play handheld? Curious to see what thatís like.

Opti
  • JoeBlade 12 Nov 2020 17:16:25 5,389 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Man, Quake, that brings back memories. It was released the year I worked in the games industry myself.

Everyone and their dog at work was playing it, we had death matches at lunch time and after work and everyone was suddenly a huge NIN fan (it wasn't long after the release of The Downward Spiral) Those were the days.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Nov 2020 18:20:14 15,330 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JoeBlade heh yeah I remember playing it against a friend on a 16k modem or whatever it was. I knew nothing about NIN's discography at the time, I thought the Quake soundtrack was what NIN was like, so imagine my surprise when the first NIN record I bought was Pretty Hate Machine, which had like nothing to do with the Quake OST at all. I later bought Further Down the Spiral (the remix album for Downward Spiral) and even later the actual Downward Spiral. I think Eraser in particular is pretty close to the Quake OST.
  • Samildanach 12 Nov 2020 19:58:41 497 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Faststriker PS4

Originally a top down shmup released for the Neo Geo, this is also available on PS4. I've seen it often drop to about £2 on psn, so it is nice and cheap...but is it worth your time?
    Well, maybe yes? It is well made with 6 levels, big detailed bosses, decent bullet patterns and good music. Critically, there aren't any cheap deaths, all lives lost are down to player mistakes and not bad design. The difficulty is balanced well, I can 1cc easy mode, beat Normal and Manic using the limited continues and was beaten by the hardest mode (omake).
    The downsides really come into play on whether you are into your shmups or not. The repeating backgrounds get dull fast and almost all are the same theme (variations of metallic base). A casual player will get bored after one or two runs and only a dedicated shmup expert will get proper fulfilment from it. I sit in the middle of those two camps in that I had quite a few good goes at it, but I couldn't be bothered to spend hard time to learn its every nuance properly. There are too many other games that are that bit better I guess.
    3/5

Edited by Samildanach at 19:59:10 12-11-2020
  • TechnoHippy 12 Nov 2020 19:58:41 18,076 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd happily play a remastered Quake.
  • dfunked09 12 Nov 2020 22:42:38 1,028 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Man of Medan

I really don't know how I managed to get through to the end credits, even if it only lasts 4 hours.
    I keep wondering if I totally misremembered Until Dawn and that was actually a steaming pile of shit too, but I'm pretty sure it was good.

In Until Dawn you wanted each horrible horror trope character to die horribly, but at the same time wanted them to live. In this you want them all to die for being so dull but don't want to delay the ending so just try to keep them alive.

Fuck me I haven't had much luck with games this month! WD:L, AC and Destiny 2 already abandoned, yet this is the one I stuck with!

Edited by dfunked09 at 22:44:24 12-11-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Nov 2020 20:19:22 16,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Super Mario Galaxy

It is not quite as good as I remember and I have always thought that itís sequel was better. However it was a pure joy from start to finish. Easily the best game I have played this year. In fact itís the best game I have played since itís sequel. Still the second best game ever made.

10/10
  • evild_edd 13 Nov 2020 22:58:52 4,277 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

Play Spelunky. It's better than SMG 1&2 put together. You're welcome.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Nov 2020 23:08:08 16,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @evild_edd

You are very wrong.
  • Kay 13 Nov 2020 23:11:16 20,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Why can't Spelunky and Mario get along? They're both glorious in their own unique way.

SMG2 is quite possibly the best game ever made, though. Still so annoyed they didn't include it in 3D All Stars.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2020 23:15:36
    Murderhouse. A homage to PS1 era survival horror games. It's fucking brilliant.

Feels really shonky at first but when you get into it, wow. It's a love letter to old Resi and Silent Hill.

It's presented like a VHS video nasty from the 80s too, complete with VHS filters.

I can't recommend it enough. Took me about 3 and half hours to complete, it's not hard or long.

The music is also brilliant and it's really funny in places. And a bit scary when the fucker is chasing you around the house.

Play it.
  • evild_edd 13 Nov 2020 23:16:36 4,277 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Why can't Spelunky and Mario get along? They're both glorious in their own unique way.

SMG2 is quite possibly the best game ever made, though. Still so annoyed they didn't include it in 3D All Stars.
    Hey, I love SMG, it's a great game. People can love both.

But Spelunky is infinite perfection. (Imo etc etc)
  • Mola_Ram 13 Nov 2020 23:43:38 24,904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Play XCOM. It's better than all of those games. You're welcome.
  • Rogueywon 13 Nov 2020 23:45:00 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And BattleTech is better than XCom, so that settles that.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Nov 2020 23:50:33 24,904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And BattleTech is better than XCom, so that settles that.
    Actually, you know what's better than Spelunky? Stardew Valley.

It's better than BattleTech too.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:52:38 13-11-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.