Recently Completed Games Page 654

• Zippity-zap 13 Nov 2020 23:57:21 582 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ghostrunner slashes all those games in half. After 49 attempts and instant restarts.
  • Zippity-zap 13 Nov 2020 23:59:36 582 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...on one single arena encounter.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Nov 2020 00:00:57 24,906 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you'll find that Madden handily beats it.
  • Zippity-zap 14 Nov 2020 00:02:46 582 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure, Madden is great, but itís no Samurai Shodown V Special.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Nov 2020 16:44:33 16,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Nov 2020 16:45:04 16,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Abzu

Wonderful experience, particularly musically. (No real gameplay at all though).

7/10
  • Kilters 14 Nov 2020 17:34:54 627 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Horizon Zero Dawn

Not a fan of the collectafest ubisoft games which i thought of as similar to this but got it on sale due to hearing good things.

Glad I did as it's got one of the best stories going. Aided by being one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever played.

9/10
  • Rogueywon 14 Nov 2020 18:21:10 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War (PC) - 8/10

This year's vintage of spunkgargleweewee isn't a bad one (I'm talking campaign here, multiplayer can fuck off). It feels, in many ways, like a spiritual successor to Black Ops 2, which is a good thing. It doesn't have Blops2's RTS sections, but it does have some branching story choices and multiple endings. The story's the usual Blops silliness, but less po-faced than is the norm for the series.

Visuals are excellent and this really does look quite next-gen in places. The gunplay is as sharp as usual for a CoD game. I did come across a few bugs and glitches, but nothing game-breaking.

The biggest problem here is length. Nobody expects or wants a 20+ hour CoD campaign, but other installments in recent years have been in the 8-10 hour range. This one... the Blizzard client doesn't have a time played counter, but just working it out myself, it's no more than 6 hours, maybe a little less.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Nov 2020 18:27:26 21,665 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I heard a YouTuber say it was close to just over 3hrs which is ridiculous if true.
  • Rogueywon 14 Nov 2020 18:29:55 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I heard a YouTuber say it was close to just over 3hrs which is ridiculous if true.
    If you're shit-hot at CoD games, skip the cutscenes and the two optional side-missions... I could see three hours being possible.

I took a good few deaths, watched the story stuff and worked out the puzzles to do the two optional missions. I reckon it took me somewhere between five and a half and six hours.
  • Bichii 14 Nov 2020 18:32:12 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    What do you expect. Cod for many many years has been making the same campaigns that are easy to beat in one sitting on normal. Then they make the same old multiplayer with a few changes etc. It's basically FIFA, madden of shooters.
  • Rogueywon 14 Nov 2020 18:33:43 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    What do you expect. Cod for many many years has been making the same campaigns that are easy to beat in one sitting on normal. Then they make the same old multiplayer with a few changes etc. It's basically FIFA, madden of shooters.
    CoD campaigns are never long, but this one must be not much more than half the length of last year's Modern Warfare reboot.

Edit: I can see my playtime history for most other CoD campaigns in Steam, given multiplayer counts as a separate title. The exception was COD4, which I played a couple of times, but I can take the campaign time for that from the remaster. So...

CoD4: 5.8 hours
    World at War: 4.6 hours
    MW2: 5.2 hours
    Blops 1: 5.7 hours
    MW3: 4.8 hours
    Ghosts: 4.5 hours
    Blops 2: 8.4 hours
    Advanced: 7.2 hours
    Blops 3: 8.9 hours
    Infinite: 9.3 hours
    WW2: 7.9 hours

You can see from that how the playtime jumped once the series hit the PS4/XB1 generation. Blops CW reverts to the kind of length of the PS3/360 era games.

Edited by Rogueywon at 18:42:46 14-11-2020
  • RyanDS 14 Nov 2020 20:44:08 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shenmue 2

Worst fucking controlling game since red dead 2. Although I managed to fight through the controls in this whereas that piece of shit I dumped.

Utter hatefuck of a game. Awful, bad acting, slow, repetitive. And yet somehow still quite engrossing and occasionally brilliant. ( i loved the whole handcuffed together sequence and the slow paced epilogue.)

Worth a playthrough as the story is fun and it is gaming history. But also a bit shit really.

Maybe 6/10? Or 7.

Despite that just ordered part 3 from amazon.

Edited by RyanDS at 09:50:34 15-11-2020
  • dominalien 15 Nov 2020 07:00:43 10,116 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How many parts does Shenmue 3 have? Do you have to buy each separately?
  • Gunzberg 15 Nov 2020 07:44:17 2,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nier Automata

There I was playing through Fallen Order (thx Gamepass) when all the backtracking pissed me off and I took a break. So I retried Nier: Automata after dumping it following the demo that completely turned me off (samey enemies, ugly locations, introduces twenty billion concepts in one second).

I'm glad I did. Completed the game in three sessions - Ending A. There are parts that are wonderfully atmospheric and clear 9/10 bits. Then there are other bits which are utter shite, like leaving the machine factory part 2. An utter 5/10 bit. Sometimes the camera angles are utterly phenomenal, other times so infuriatingly close, you have no overview of where the boss is or what he is doing. The music is great until it loops. Side quests are interesting until they force more backtracking. The fast travel system unlocks way too late in the game.

There are some outstanding story bits I love the machine village, forest king bit and religious suicide cult

The story ventures from profound to anime garbage. The combat whilst initially interesting becomes samey and dull by 70% of the game. That's also one of the main reasons I couldn't be faffed to continue my part B playthrough. Yes, the game has basically five main endings and 26 total ones including joke endings. But fuck having to replay some of that shit with that combat. Thank god for Youtube.

Still, it really is a unique game and deserves..

a very solid 7.5

Edited by Gunzberg at 07:45:27 15-11-2020
  • RyanDS 15 Nov 2020 09:50:59 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    How many parts does Shenmue 3 have? Do you have to buy each separately?
    Duh! Part 2 finished. Edited post as I am a moron.
  • dfunked09 15 Nov 2020 10:02:47 1,028 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Gunzberg

I wasn't totally gripped with it on the A playthrough, but it just gets better and better imo. Sounds like you disliked a lot more about it though so fair enough, no point pushing on.

10/10 game for me and I've played through it twice now (well, 40+ times I suppose)
    Some endings are way too much of a grind and I never bothered on either playthrough.

Curious to see how it performs on PS5.

Edited by dfunked09 at 10:03:26 15-11-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 15 Nov 2020 10:04:50 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    NFS Heat

Thankfully a very short game, playing the day races are quite easy and it becomes a game where you have a quick race and listen to podcast or something. Where it fucks up is how lazy the police "AI" is, its cheap and lazy and has not improved from 2005 era games. The devs spawn in cops from nowhere and smash into you at 120 mph. Gone are all the ways to escape the cops, you get a few upgrades but not great

The plot and characters are awful but the car handling saves it as its arcade racing fun. At least payback had unique main missions, this is just racing/sprint and 1 follow a car. Its on gamepass and not worth buying

5.5/10
  • Tomo 15 Nov 2020 10:18:24 18,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    CoD campaigns are never long, but this one must be not much more than half the length of last year's Modern Warfare reboot.

Edit: I can see my playtime history for most other CoD campaigns in Steam, given multiplayer counts as a separate title. The exception was COD4, which I played a couple of times, but I can take the campaign time for that from the remaster. So...

CoD4: 5.8 hours
    World at War: 4.6 hours
    MW2: 5.2 hours
    Blops 1: 5.7 hours
    MW3: 4.8 hours
    Ghosts: 4.5 hours
    Blops 2: 8.4 hours
    Advanced: 7.2 hours
    Blops 3: 8.9 hours
    Infinite: 9.3 hours
    WW2: 7.9 hours

You can see from that how the playtime jumped once the series hit the PS4/XB1 generation. Blops CW reverts to the kind of length of the PS3/360 era games.
    Jesus Roguey! I'm simultaneously impressed that you've played through that much repetitive jingoistic shite and starting to think we need a charity thread to get you some good games.
  • Tomo 15 Nov 2020 10:19:12 18,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Shenmue 2

Worst fucking controlling game since red dead 2. Although I managed to fight through the controls in this whereas that piece of shit I dumped.

Utter hatefuck of a game. Awful, bad acting, slow, repetitive. And yet somehow still quite engrossing and occasionally brilliant. ( i loved the whole handcuffed together sequence and the slow paced epilogue.)

Worth a playthrough as the story is fun and it is gaming history. But also a bit shit really.

Maybe 6/10? Or 7.

Despite that just ordered part 3 from amazon.
    This was very amusing. Can feel the confused hatred and respect.
  • Gunzberg 15 Nov 2020 10:28:38 2,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    @Gunzberg

I wasn't totally gripped with it on the A playthrough, but it just gets better and better imo. Sounds like you disliked a lot more about it though so fair enough, no point pushing on.

10/10 game for me and I've played through it twice now (well, 40+ times I suppose)
    Some endings are way too much of a grind and I never bothered on either playthrough.

Curious to see how it performs on PS5.
    Kudos! I love so many bits from Part B, even the opening itself. Maybe I have a soft spot for the cute machines. But then those glory moments are interrupted by mediocre stuff.

Also, that crazy Inventor was a money pit🤭
  • StixxUK 15 Nov 2020 11:08:20 8,459 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ok, finished the last of us part 2.

Great technical achievement, fun gameplay, fucking grim story. It's super bleak, makes the walking dead look like Teletubbies.

The game was also way too long.

I won't be forgetting it in a hurry.

Edited by StixxUK at 11:08:37 15-11-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Nov 2020 18:34:37 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mafia 2: definitive edition (xbox one)

Its a real shame it still crashing after few patches and some graphical glitches (had amusing one in the meat factory where the accountant's face was stretched across the screen). Also the game really needs some improving like Chapter 11, the shitty mission design at the start could of been updated as still 9/10 times give you a slow old car to get to Leo before the strict timer ticks down.

The game deserves an enhanced remaster, not just some graphical improvement but enjoyed the story and the journey (unlike Mafia 3) It all the DLC, so will give that a try

7/10 (would be higher if not for the crashes still)
  • OnlyJoeKing 17 Nov 2020 00:55:12 1,181 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prey (2017, PC)

It's fucking great!

Bit like Subnautica. Guess I have a soft spot for these immersive sims. It's freaking excellent though. Tense, atmospheric, engaging upgrade options.

Tried it a while back and kind of bounced off it - my mistake. Should have given it a proper chance.
  • Samildanach 17 Nov 2020 01:11:52 497 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Darius Twin (Ps4 Cozmic Collection)

This shmup is the perfect example of utter averageness. From the graphics, to the music and the gameplay it is remarkably unremarkable. It also achieves the incredible feat of being both slightly tediously easy as well as being unfairly hard. "How?" You ask while stifling a yawn. Most of the time you are shooting down the same predictable enemy formations who shoot few or no bullets when not waiting through some of the games' dead spaces. Suddenly 'BAM!' you're dead as an enemy bursts from behind and somehow ignores all your shields.
    This comes to a head in the truly dreadful last level which features a massive number of the games' four minibosses all at once. For 95% of it you just sit in the top right corner and nothing can touch you until the bastard hermit crab miniboss suddenly appears and, I tell you, it is pretty much pot luck whether you make it through those 30 seconds alive. Then it is on to the blandly tedious final boss duo. Luckily all this shit can be avoided if you pretend the penultimate level (on the lower route) is the final level instead. That level ends in the pretty good and epic Hyper Great Thing boss battle with its own unique boss music
    I can't be arsed to spend time to learn to 1CC this game. Not with Bloodborne competing for attention!
    Average/10

Edited by Samildanach at 01:16:29 17-11-2020
  • samharper 17 Nov 2020 12:50:42 1,123 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 on PS4 Amateur

"Finished" as in completed three pro skaters + custom skater, all the gaps bar one in THPS1 (Roswell...) and a couple to clean up in THPS2, all plushies, all VV logos, all goals, most of the pro scores, all the skaters etc etc etc

Just absolutely fabulous. I'm still playing it. My hopes were 0 after THPS HD and when I heard it was "not shit" I picked it up immediately. Improves on the preceeding games in so many subtle but brilliant ways. Straddles a really nice line between having tons of little features like the THUG games (minus coming off the board, thank goodness, but acid drops and hip transfers etc. are appreciated), but keeping the pace and physics a bit more like the THPS games.

It's got me going back through all the old ones again and I really think this is the best it's ever been and I really, really hope they add THPS 3 + 4 to it. Or, even better, make a new one. The rules are well defined, the map design really holds up even with the different physics, some of the built in challenges are absolutely nails hard, it looks great, it runs great, loads quick, fun multiplayer (let me play HORSE online though please), split screen(!), absolutely tons of content with a great level creator and a preserved soundtrack that automatically mutes itself when you turn Spotify on.

Probably my favourite game this year, even taking into account Ghost of Tsushima and FFVII Remake, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed, GoT especially enough to get my first platinum in 8 years.

10/10
  • Gunzberg 17 Nov 2020 16:06:37 2,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fallen Order 7.5/10

100% it but the backtracking...

Levels large both pro and neg
    Didn't really care for a forgettable story
    Decent atmosphere
    Ok combat

Thanks Gamepass
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Nov 2020 17:15:32 6,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gears 5 (started on One X, finished on Series X)

Started playing it the day it came out and finished it this week, which sums up my relationship with the gears series. It took me the same amount of time to finish Gears 4 too.

It all comes down to repetition and fatigue for me with Gears : There have been six mainline games in the series (correct me if Iím wrong) and all six of them are identical to me - ďget into cover, shoot a thing. Get into different cover, shoot a different thing. BIG SET PIECE. Get into cover, shoot a thingĒ

Yes, there have been graphical improvements and new weapons sporadically introduced, but I personally feel like Iíve been playing the same game over and over again since the first one came out 14 YEARS AGO.

Gears really needs a ďGod of War-styleĒ revamp to get me interested again - the formula needs shaking up and they need to take some risks.

Itís fine for what it is, but Iím so bored of the series at this point.

5/10
  • uiruki 18 Nov 2020 09:26:53 5,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gears 5 - PC - 2/5

Not great. The open world type structure sucks all the energy out of the game with the repetition and backtracking, and the game just kind of stops at the end after a pointless 'emotional choice' which given the charmless nature of most of the new characters just seemed like a cheap way to try and get the player invested. There's a bit at the end where it turns into Gears again but it's not enough.

Further mark deducted for letting me start the game, going through the three minutes of unskippable intro/connection shit and only then deciding that I need the new 14gb multiplayer update to finish the single player game. Glad to have the drive space back.
  • wuntyate 18 Nov 2020 10:14:35 16,022 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silent Hill Homecoming

Hmmmmmmm. Lots of good things, lots of bad things.

Good things:
    + I really dug the combat. Bit simplistic but it worked well enough and was really enjoyable.
    + Creature design was excellent. The way the nurses stutter about the place, or the freaky schisms to the hulking Siams and awesome bosses. This has the best design since 2 - ever since they started moving away from the monsters having any real meaning in 3 (with only a handful being symbolic to Heather, the rest by the designers own admission just being generic monsters)., they weren't going to hit the highs of 2's creations. But visually these monsters were great.
    + Level design, progression and layout. From Shepherd's Glen to Silent Hill there was a nice mix of locales with the familiar foggy streets etc
    +Otherworld Transitions - loved the siren followed by the peeling and shit.

Took a lot of cues from the film - like the nurses above and the aforementioned peeling effect. I liked the film, so thought that was all quite cool.

Negatives:
    - Soundtrack. Which is a shock considering it was Akira Yamaoka, but it was just... there. it wasn't particularly effective and had none of the power of his previous efforts.
    - Not scary, freaky or disturbing in the slightest and when it tried to be, it was all rather silly.
    - Plot and characters - very weak. I did like where they went with it but it wasn't delivered well enough to have the emotional punch it was going for.
    - Weak puzzles
    - The last area and The Order - the last area was shite. Bland as hell and punctuated with encounters with silly order members in silly mining suits. Shite enemy, shite location, poor end to the game. Apart from the last boss who was decent.

Glad I played it and will definitely give it a playthrough again, but when it's weak, it's very weak indeed.

Downpour next. Curious to see how that holds up. I liked it first time I played.

I say next. The imminent arrival of a PS5 and Demon's will put that on ice for a few weeks I reckon.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.