Following Recently Completed Games Page 661

• dfunked09 30 Dec 2020 11:07:07 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Heard the level gating is not there in Valhalla unlike Odyssey (that pissed me off, also you got thickos claiming "there is no grinding as they put 100 hours in and didn't need to grind once" no shit if you put 100+ hours in
    Not sure about story content level gating, but I believe there are parts of the map that you won't be able to explore even after 50 hours of play due to not being high enough level.

I put this one on the back burner as it was just too close to my playthrough of the AC Odyssey DLC. It was so jarring coming from a ridiculously OP demigod to a weak starter character that takes fall damage from waist height falls.
  • captbirdseye 30 Dec 2020 11:07:25 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not that I found but then I just auto assigned my skills about the halfway point.
  • Dazimus 30 Dec 2020 11:27:35 1,554 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmm I might give Valhalla a pass. Iíd been looking forward to grabbing it for £20 or so but Iím really not sure I can be arsed with a 100 hour game. And one of the best things about games like that is the loot and that hook when you find more loot, but if this is lacking that well ... I think I might give it a miss. 100 hours can be spent elsewhere I reckon.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Dec 2020 11:32:23 26,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dfunked09
    Agree, also Eivor (female, not played dude) is not fit to lick Kass's boots. No offence to the actor but she is not a patch on her, maybe it is the writing?
  • GNS1991 30 Dec 2020 12:36:06 50 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Heard the level gating is not there in Valhalla unlike Odyssey (that pissed me off, also you got thickos claiming "there is no grinding as they put 100 hours in and didn't need to grind once" no shit if you put 100+ hours in
    Not sure about story content level gating, but I believe there are parts of the map that you won't be able to explore even after 50 hours of play due to not being high enough level.

I put this one on the back burner as it was just too close to my playthrough of the AC Odyssey DLC. It was so jarring coming from a ridiculously OP demigod to a weak starter character that takes fall damage from waist height falls.
    Just a question regarding Odyssey, since I am more than 50 hours in. Are Likonia and that upper region (forgot it's name) above it the last places the "family" storyline takes place? Because right now I'm at Euboea island doing side quests, but want to quickly finish up the Myrrine, Deimos and Wolf storyline (supposed to go to Likonia to take care of Spartan kings).
  • dfunked09 30 Dec 2020 13:08:09 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I honestly couldn't remember which regions the last missions took place in. Finished off the main game in May 2019 and my memory isn't that good sadly!

Upper region is Macedonia, but I can't remember spending all that much time there in the main game (but you do in the DLC)
  • Graxlar_v3 31 Dec 2020 07:24:24 10,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bloodstained Ritual of the night 9/10

I managed to beat this with just under 95% of the map completed. Such a good game, I will probably go back and do the last 5% at some point in the future. Some annoying sequences, but this far after release itís pretty easy to find how to Ďswimí or find the item you need to progress.
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Dec 2020 13:52:58 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    An way out

another gamepass game, really enjoyed the playthrough with my friend. It can be very slow at the start but gets going. the cover based shooting bits are not good (feel old and clunky like ps2 game) but thats near end of the game. Lots of good set pieces. Little replay value, so play it on gamepass or ea play

gamepass/10
  • Mola_Ram 1 Jan 2021 05:45:26 25,155 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grindstone (for the Switch)

All levels done with all the bonus things.

It's a fun distraction, not quite as good as Clash of Heroes but still really satisfying to smash around in. Sometimes it's tricky, but I never found it particularly difficult. Just something light and breezy to play on the train.

All in all, a solid 8/10
  • JoelStinty 1 Jan 2021 09:14:02 9,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WRC 9

Like many others only picked this up on a whim because of good word of mouth about its dual sense integration and it was going cheap at launch. Bloody good thing it was as now Iím likely to pick this up every few years to fufil that itch and see where the series is going. Itís rather good.

As a pretty substantial and engaging career mode where you go from the lowly ranks of WRC 3 up to the main deal; WRC taking you all over the world from Argentina to Japan. In the end career mode is nothing but a series of menus to get through but if you know youíre car set ups it obviously goes a lot deeper than checking on staff morale and planning your weeks ahead with what events youíre going to partake in.

It does a good job of breaking up the monotony of main career events (rallyís- well are they ever boring?) with events like historic races and maintenance events where you drive blind without your co driver to reach a suitable distance to Ďimprove the reliability of your carí. Stretching it, but it works.

This is all underpinned by a great driving model. Bumper/bonnet cam really drives great. It has that truism where is things arenít going great they donít but when youíre nailing sectors itís thrilling. You feel like Colin McCrae. It also has a fair difficulty system - which you can tweak as you wish. It does have issues with odd results, you can win one rally by a lot and lose the next by the same amount particular in its early game but it did feel more consistent as the game went , but you do get that experience of pushing to correct a mistake and make those valuable seconds and even tenths up. Itís not quite there but almost. When the driving is so pure and fun I canít complain. You also get 4 restarts per stage which is just right. Some youíll pass through in one others will test all 4 of this restarts and your concentration.

Looks a bit dated, nice in places (especially storm weather) but could do with a spruce up. Great sound which ties in with the haptics which is great. The sensations you get through the dual sense from stones pelting your floor to your rear tyres struggling for traction in loose sand reallt
    Does comes though and I canít imagine playing a racing game without it anymore. It may be in its infancy but itís a good start. Looking forward to what Gran Turismo does with it.

Highly recommended!

4.5/5
  • HisDudness 1 Jan 2021 15:06:01 1,745 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Void bastards. Got it with a humble monthly a little while back. Installed on a whim and it captured my attention immediately. It's a rogue lite bioshock, with a unique art style and humour. I don't finish many games, so high praise from me! Will definitely keep an eye out for more from this dev.
  • QBX 1 Jan 2021 15:52:56 205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

I can't remember if this was the big blockbuster game.

Anyway turns 19 this year and needed a bit of tweaking to get started. Graphically the age is beginning to show - though surprisingly there is a recent mod which gives things a lick of paint - there's something about this instance of the Quake 3 engine that feels a bit off.

Gameplay wise its after the D-Day mission where the problems begin. As levels open slightly enemy placement/visibility become an issue and more often you'll be killed by some prick which has been deliberately placed out of sight. This continues throughout but is most egregious in the sniper alley mission.

What only occurred to me (as I started the original CoD) was the lack of atmosphere. Apart from a few sections your on your own and for what is a shooting gallery it all feels so flat and lacks any bombast you might expect from a World War 2 game.

I was going to play the expansion packs but don't think I'll bother.

-/10
  • Malek86 1 Jan 2021 19:57:06 11,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heretic II (PC)

So, if Heretic was Doom with magic, then Heretic 2 is Quake 2 with magic... but it's also pretty obvious that Activision wanted a slice of that Tomb Raider pie, because the third-person camera and platform elements kinda feel out of place. The game would work better as a standard shooter.

Even then, it's not as good as Quake 2. The gameplay elements are similar (there's limited backtracking, and no hub system like in Hexen). However it's quite a bit shorter, and the magic doesn't have much of an impact on enemies. At least the level design is okay, and some of the weapons are indeed pretty cool. Surprisingly, the game has dismemberments, and if you cut off an enemy's arm, they might either run away or start punching you with their remaining limb. Considering that it predates Raven's own Soldier of Fortune by a couple years, that's impressive... but I doubt there's a proper body damage system in there. It seems to happen at random.

Anyway, this venerable series ends not with a bang, but with a whimper.

6/10

I don't know what kind of licensing issues might be preventing its digital release, but it's not really worth thinking about.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:58:22 01-01-2021
  • Trafford 3 Jan 2021 12:33:59 8,853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.
    I've binged this game over the last 10 days, and it really was quite a treat.
    I loved how the narrative compulsively pulled me through a frankly bonkers sci-fi story.
    It was very coherent for the most part, I got really invested in it.
    The soundtrack was a great mix of styles, the animation of the story, lovely. The Tower Defense sections were a lot of fun, completed on normal without much difficulty.
    I was a big fan of Odin's Sphere and Dragons Crown.
    Can't wait to see what Vanillaware do next.
    9.5/10
  • HarryPalmer 3 Jan 2021 13:39:18 6,283 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jedi: Fallen Order - 6/10

A bit of a mixed bag. Uncharted, Souls-lite, Metroid, Arkham, Tomb Raider all mixed together. Some works really well, the Uncharted style was a great fit for the Star Wars theme, everything else - not so much.

I didn't care to explore too much and found the combat a bit annoying. The problem is that the story and pretty much all the main characters are terrible, and the planets are dull as fuck.

I never got a real sense of place, the level design just isn't good enough, and the slidey section/squeeze through tiny gap mechanic is used way too often.

It isn't helped by the fact that all you will ever find in a chest is a new poncho material. You can't upgrade or customize your character in any meaningful way.

That said, once you get all the force powers, the combat is pretty cool, and the best locations are Imperial Bases - which are awesome. The final location is actually amazing and I wish the game spent more time there.

I feel like a sequel could be great.
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Jan 2021 17:13:18 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Spiderman (ps4)
    Bit late finishing this as got distracted by other games. Its a great game, the only negatives are the mary jane and miles stealth sections. They are not shit but they feel out of place as they are not as good at the rest of the game. I bet they didn't improve them for the remaster

The combat is excellent, main missions are good and well voiced acted but the uncanny valley is a bit weird at times.

9/10
  • dfunked09 3 Jan 2021 18:09:33 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The Last of Us Part II 8/10

Really didn't get on with it at first and just gave up on it when I got to the open world bit (the bank infected encounter to be specific). Decided to give it another go on Thursday and pretty much ended up mainlining it since then!
    I can't remember the original's encounters being anywhere near as vertical as this, and it's always interesting finding different routes you could've taken through them. (the car park one was a standout for me)

Absolutely stunning animation throughout and I'd say it could really pop with a 60fps PS5 patch.

My main criticism would be that it's just too damn long (could've done with shedding 5 hours or so)

Laying awake in bed when I was still partway through the game thinking "that dog I killed... That was Alice" is one of the many things that'll stick with me for a long time.
    How relentlessly bleak is it, though! I feel like I need to play something bright and colourful to get over it.

Still not a fan of the gunplay though I have to say (yeah yeah, git gud etc...). Lost count of the number of times I reloaded the most recent checkpoint because I'd wasted a couple of shots.

Edited by dfunked09 at 18:23:16 03-01-2021
  • killersrquiet 3 Jan 2021 18:18:38 3,192 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quantum Break (Series X)

Unmistakably a Remedy game and I wasn't disappointed. The actual live action story elements worked quite well and the acting was on par. Gameplay wise it was an enjoyable experience with some nice touches.

8/10

Jedi Fallen Order (Series X)

Excellent light sabre combat, decent story and gameplay elements, story was so so. Loses a point alone for the absolutely abysmal map and navigation issues on some of the maps. Infuriating at times.

7/10
  • Dazimus 4 Jan 2021 08:49:16 1,554 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Immortals: Fenyx Rising - 7.5/10 (maybe an 8)

Really enjoyed the general gameplay, with regards to exploration, finding chests and loot, combat, humour etc.

Really didnít enjoy the puzzles and brought the game down quite a bit for me personally.

If you like BOTW puzzles, youíll get your fill of the them here.
  • MrWonderstuff 4 Jan 2021 09:17:39 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @HisDudness Just started Void Bastards - I like it mainly. Not a fan of roguelike elements and timed missions. Gets all panicky too quickly. I'll stick with it though.
  • Blakester 4 Jan 2021 09:23:46 5,179 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Spiderman: Miles Morales (PS5)

Really enjoyable few hours in what is essentially a PS5 tech demo. Works best when you're chaining together long, fluid combos to take down the bad guys and obviously looks stunning. Left me wanting much more, which I guess is a good thing until you consider the price of the game.

6/10

COD:Cold War (Campaign on PS5)

The COD campaign formula has barely changed over the years, they just add a new layer of sheen for whatever platform it's running on. This obviously looks terrific, and I really enjoyed the Vietnam and Russia levels. But again, it ends just as you've started to settle into it. 4-5 hours is just not good value and don't get me started on the ludicrous install time and size.

5/10
  • SolidSCB 4 Jan 2021 11:00:57 14,596 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CoD:Cold War

First proper CoD game I've played since ooooooh, Modern Warfare 2?

Would have been an alright, serviceable campaign if not for the horrendous aim assist that snaps towards enemies that are 8 miles away and behind several buildings.

Didn't think much of the graphics on PS5 and whatever Ray Tracing it had in there wasn't any more impressive than the average baked in lighting/reflections you get in a big budget title.

Was alright but nothing special. I certainly won't go out of my way to buy another CoD title for a while off the back of this.

5/10
  • Phattso 4 Jan 2021 11:07:50 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Didn't think much of the graphics on PS5 and whatever Ray Tracing it had in there wasn't any more impressive than the average baked in lighting/reflections you get in a big budget title.
    RT was only used for shadows, so everything should've been "real" and smooth. Clearly didn't make much of an impression on you though. :)
  • SolidSCB 4 Jan 2021 11:21:36 14,596 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah I didn't think a right lot of it visually to be honest. Obviously not bad bit not exactly mind blowing either.
  • monkman76 4 Jan 2021 15:16:35 17,700 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Last year's COD was amazing looking. Don't know how it would stand up now I've played some PS5 games, but back then it seemed kind of next-gen itself.
  • HisDudness 4 Jan 2021 16:00:58 1,745 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @HisDudness Just started Void Bastards - I like it mainly. Not a fan of roguelike elements and timed missions. Gets all panicky too quickly. I'll stick with it though.
    Yes sometimes things just go really wrong and you have to bail out of the mission. But you'll get used to the timing and watching the clock, etc. The most important thing is to have a plan. Know the enemies on board and which weapons work best. Some enemies are so annoying that I would just skip those missions.

This was the first rogue lite that I have finished, by the way. The only other ones I really liked were Invisible inc and darkest dungeon.
  • HisDudness 4 Jan 2021 16:01:00 1,745 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Yes sometimes things just go really wrong and you have to bail out of the mission. But you'll get used to the timing and watching the clock, etc. The most important thing is to have a plan. Know the enemies on board and which weapons work best. Some enemies are so annoying that I would just skip those missions.

This was the first rogue lite that I have finished, by the way. The only other ones I really liked were Invisible inc and darkest dungeon.
  • 46matt 4 Jan 2021 17:06:43 168 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:

Was the first rogue lite game for me also and of all the many games I played last year this would probably be my favourite. Agree on the getting to know the enemies and carefully choose your path of least resistance
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2021 11:02:34 11,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Duke Nukem Manhattan Project (PC)

So this is what a good Duke Nukem game is like? Well, good is a bit of a stretch. Decent, more like. But considering what a mess Forever turned out, and that DS game as well, I suppose it's easier to remember this one as one of the highlights of the series rather than the throwaway spinoff is was originally supposed to be.

The platforming needs work, and there's a lot of platforming, so yeah. Shooting is more satisfying than the average Unity platformer run and gun, and overall there's a good level of challenge here... but bosses are too easy. Also the levels are long and twisted enough to eventually become repetitive, which makes the annoying final episode all the more annoying.

But hey. It's Duke Nukem, and they gave him a lot of new one-liners. Overused or not, I can't complain about that.

6/10

Edited by Malek86 at 11:03:53 05-01-2021
  • SolidSCB 5 Jan 2021 11:15:36 14,596 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Last Campfire

Got this on release but only just got around to finishing the second half yesterday. A very short but enjoyable little puzzler. Reminded me an awful lot of Journey but never quite had the same emotional punch in the end. Think it's actually on sale at the minute on the PS Store, so well worth a look imo.

7/10
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.