Following Recently Completed Games Page 662

• MrWonderstuff 5 Jan 2021 12:01:45 3,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @HisDudness Yea I am getting to grips with it now. Upgraded various things and understanding the mechanics a bit more. Really very enjoyable with that 'just one more ship' feel. The penality on death isn't too awful - annoying but not unfair. I keep imagining this game in the Alien Isolation engine.
  • JoelStinty 5 Jan 2021 18:22:42 9,196 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Donut Country

A decent hour an a half time waster that takes inspiration from Katamari. Instead of rolling around collecting everyoneís possession (trash) you collect into an ever increasing sinkhole. The game doesnít really go beyond collecting things in size order (can only collect things that can fit into the hole and it grows as you collect stuff) and a couple of intriguing puzzle ideas but itís run time, irreverent humour, presentation and script elevate it into something worth checking out on a wet Sunday afternoon.

3/5
  • muddyyfunster 5 Jan 2021 22:29:27 804 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spiderman Remastered

Played in the new Performance RT mode and it's very impressive. The in-engine cut scenes are as good as I've seen, period. Combat is pretty well done and enjoyable but not enough to justify the number of samey side objectives. The main story was pretty engaging, though I'm not a particular spider-man fan. If they'd made it more streamlined I think it would be a better experience, and from what I've read Miles Morales is more focused. Will probably leave it a bit before starting that though.

8/10

Haven't yet decided whether to play the DLC. I'e started the first one and it seems decent, but again wants me to do a load of fairly dull side stuff to progress the plot. Is it worth continuing?
  • Hicksy 6 Jan 2021 07:56:03 2,637 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The dlc is worth it but my advice is ignore the zonal crime events just do the main and side objectives only (fixed map markers) to progress the story cutscenes. Depending on your patience level you might want to ignore the screwball challenges too.

If you need a break Fenyx rising makes an excellent alternative!
  • Dazimus 6 Jan 2021 10:24:39 1,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ori & The Blind Forest - 8.5/10

Started this years ago, put an hour or so in and enjoyed it before something shiny distracted me. Started playing it again last week or so and just carried on with it.

Apart from the awful escape sequences which were just massively frustrating, I really enjoyed the game. I never clicked with the likes of Hollow Knight, Iím not one for traipsing around once you get killed and fighting your way back to where you just were, so being able to save so often was huge for me. The mechanics felt great too.

Iíve got the sequel downloading and Iíll definitely get to that at some point as Iíve heard itís even better than the first game.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jan 2021 10:27:13 16,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Donut Country

A decent hour an a half time waster that takes inspiration from Katamari. Instead of rolling around collecting everyoneís possession (trash) you collect into an ever increasing sinkhole. The game doesnít really go beyond collecting things in size order (can only collect things that can fit into the hole and it grows as you collect stuff) and a couple of intriguing puzzle ideas but itís run time, irreverent humour, presentation and script elevate it into something worth checking out on a wet Sunday afternoon.

3/5
    I really enjoyed this. Thereís almost zero channel in the puzzling until near the end but the vibe and humour are so good.

My first playthrough was one handed with Baby Maybe sleeping on me when I was on paternity leave so itís got a special place in my games library.
  • SolidSCB 6 Jan 2021 11:13:40 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Donut Country

3/5
    I really enjoyed this. Thereís almost zero channel in the puzzling until near the end but the vibe and humour are so good.

My first playthrough was one handed with Baby Maybe sleeping on me when I was on paternity leave so itís got a special place in my games library.
    I just played through this the other night too with it being a few quid on the PS Store. Not a right lot to it but I think that's what makes it so enjoyable. Perfect game for a chilled evening.
  • monkman76 6 Jan 2021 11:16:26 17,700 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't know there was a sequel to Donut County :p
  • SolidSCB 6 Jan 2021 11:19:39 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should check it out, takes place in a mid-pandemic UK.
  • monkman76 6 Jan 2021 11:20:35 17,700 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chuckle.

On that note, when will the first Covid open world-em-ups appear I wonder.
  • SolidSCB 6 Jan 2021 11:25:11 14,596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played through Everybody's Gone to the Rapture last night to try and get the platinum and the most unsettling thing about it was how close to home it hits right now in a lot of ways.
  • papalazar0u 6 Jan 2021 11:30:59 201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dazimus Played this on release and loved it, one of my favourite games of all time. Actually enjoyed the escape sequences, but from memory there were some collectibles that I missed during one of them that stopped me 100%'ing the game, and you're unable to go back to them once escaped and that really pissed me off!

I tried the sequel but bounced off it, just didn't feel the same (think it was the combat elements that I wasn't that fond of) but still a good game. The saves have also been made easier than in the first game. Might try it again at some point with it being on Game Pass.
  • Dave_McCoy 6 Jan 2021 11:31:58 3,375 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dazimus wrote:
    Ori & The Blind Forest - 8.5/10

Started this years ago, put an hour or so in and enjoyed it before something shiny distracted me. Started playing it again last week or so and just carried on with it.

Apart from the awful escape sequences which were just massively frustrating, I really enjoyed the game. I never clicked with the likes of Hollow Knight, Iím not one for traipsing around once you get killed and fighting your way back to where you just were, so being able to save so often was huge for me. The mechanics felt great too.
    I think I'm playing that wrong. I like it but the backtracking when you die is a pain. I always thought there was some penalty for generating the save points so do it rarely. Sounds like I should be using them a bit more liberally.
  • papalazar0u 6 Jan 2021 11:39:28 201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dave_McCoy yes, in the first one you absorb the energy cell things if you create a save - it forces you to think about the game, routes/risks you take etc. but can be a pain if you forget The second one does away with that and from memory reverts to a more traditional approach.
  • Dazimus 6 Jan 2021 12:26:33 1,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @papalazar0u So the second one doesnít let you save when you want and has forced checkpoints?
  • papalazar0u 6 Jan 2021 12:34:39 201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dazimus can't remember exactly how the saves work, think it's triggered either by loading/exiting the current screen or something like that. The biggest difference is that you don't have to expend those orb things to save, there's no penalty/compromise for saving.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jan 2021 12:37:13 16,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I played through Everybody's Gone to the Rapture last night to try and get the platinum and the most unsettling thing about it was how close to home it hits right now in a lot of ways.
    Iíd been meaning to replay this after reading Day of the Triffids in the autumn before my PS4 bricked.

My village is nowhere near as picturesque but I was curious how realistic it had become
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Jan 2021 12:37:55 26,465 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Love this game so much, also I must listen to the soundtrack at least once a week, sublime.
  • scott1987 6 Jan 2021 18:58:26 222 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished miles morales and I have to say I bloody enjoyed that game, was nice it was more streamlined and I could just get on with missions. The game was a good length also, which keeps you engaged.
  • Dombat 7 Jan 2021 00:12:44 1,876 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found the first Ori pretty generous for saving tbh. You restore energy quite easily and there's an upgrade not too far down on the upgrade paths for reusing save points without expending energy, which helps with the backtracking.

I'm not far into the second game but I haven't found the checkpoints quite as generous (but haven't had problems with it either).
  • spookyxelectric 7 Jan 2021 16:04:26 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Chuckle.

On that note, when will the first Covid open world-em-ups appear I wonder.
    Isn't that what The Division was?
  • uiruki 9 Jan 2021 00:18:39 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    1. Art of Rally - PC - 4/5

Looks simple but is actually a really nicely tuned driving game with a nice mellow soundtrack. Initially challenging as it's hard to monitor your speed and the undunlation of the track but once you get into it, nailing a drift is so satisfying and you genuinely feel a connection with how fast you're driving. Going through a stage smoothly is an excellent feeling.

So close to a 5 this one, just felt a bit baggy towards the end of the campaign with the 20-stage seasons. If possible I'd have had the same number of races but maybe one more short 'super-season' at the end; the Group A cars were just about doable for me in terms of speed but going past the limit one last time would have been a great way to polish things off - like the Lakeland stage/Stratos in Sega Rally.

2. Ace Combat 7 - PC - 4/5

Initially weird and confusing as someone who doesn't know my Osea from my Erusea, once it gets into its stride it's really compelling. By the time I got into an F-35 the flying felt great and I was just shooting down stuff left and right, and the ridiculous action move finale really brought things to a close nicely.
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Jan 2021 12:27:03 4,815 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Day of the tentacle remaster (gamepass)

Played it before on psn+, its an classic game and its still excellent. I don't think its aged compared to the Monkey island games I played few years on XBLA. Onto Full throttle remaster now

9/10
  • GNS1991 9 Jan 2021 17:00:21 50 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    AC: Odyssey. +80 hours. Main-storyline completed, most of main game's side missions and some of the additional content side-missions also completed. Gonna pick it up maybe in a year or so to complete other stuff (like killing all of the cultists, monster bosses and going to Atlantis). In general, I liked it, but after 40th or 50th hour felt like busy-work, and after 70th hour simply wanted to get it over with and concentrated solely on the main storyline. My opinion - the world map should have been much much much much much smaller with fever question marks, because you can't go one hundred meters in that game without encountering some hostile territory.

6-7/10.
  • PrivateFloyd 9 Jan 2021 17:44:47 5,399 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Had a bit of a flurry the last few weeks.

Miles Morales - 8/10 benefited from being smaller length wise than Spiderman but I still felt that there was bloat with some boring side missions (in particular the ones where you have to find the sounds).

God of War - 8/10 got me excited for Ragnarok, again, I felt the skill trees were a bit too bloated, and a lot of enemy design repeats. The lore and story carrying it through for me.

The Last of Us 2 - 10/10 game of the generation for me. Glued from start to finish and pretty much improved on every aspect of the original (if that was even possible).

Uncharted 4 - 9/10 a fitting end to Nates storyline. The high point remains number 2 (low point 3). An extra point because I have a soft spot for this series and the schlocky plot lines and characters.
  • Bichii 9 Jan 2021 18:28:38 4,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still think uc4 is head and shoulders above any of the other UC games.

Gow is so good that Ragnarok is one of the main reasons I'm going ps5 over xsx.
  • JoelStinty 9 Jan 2021 18:31:15 9,196 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    1. Art of Rally - PC - 4/5

Looks simple but is actually a really nicely tuned driving game with a nice mellow soundtrack. Initially challenging as it's hard to monitor your speed and the undunlation of the track but once you get into it, nailing a drift is so satisfying and you genuinely feel a connection with how fast you're driving. Going through a stage smoothly is an excellent feeling.

So close to a 5 this one, just felt a bit baggy towards the end of the campaign with the 20-stage seasons. If possible I'd have had the same number of races but maybe one more short 'super-season' at the end; the Group A cars were just about doable for me in terms of speed but going past the limit one last time would have been a great way to polish things off - like the Lakeland stage/Stratos in Sega Rally.

Really hoping Art of Rally gets a switch port soon. Looks ace
  • spookyxelectric 9 Jan 2021 18:34:46 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    3 is my personal favourite Uncharted. Agree about Last of Us 2 though. I thought it was much better than the first game. Even the bits that dragged on in the first half felt intentional to recreate the feeling the character's going through at that point of the story. The second half flows much better, despite being hours in, so it feels like a design choice, even if it worked better for some players than others.
  • DuckBreaker 9 Jan 2021 19:21:52 206 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • Samildanach 9 Jan 2021 19:23:12 523 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stardust Galaxy Warriors Stella Climax (terrible name)
    Quite alright for a Euroshmup but still falls for the typical Euroshmup bad habits such as unnecessarily long levels, uninspired enemy design and general repetitiveness. On the plus side it has decent music, got quite fun when it did get busy on screen and had a wide variety of weapons and mechanics to try. Deaths weren't always fair due to bullets being hidden behind the score/health bar etc. and some boss attacks could have done with a bit more play-testing.
    Overall a 6/10

Soldner X-2 Definitive Edition
    Yep, it has been a bit of a Euroshmup blitz over Xmas as this is another one, in this case remastered from the PS3 edition. Too long levels? Health bar rather than relying on a small hit box and great hit detection? Grinding to unlock the full game? Yep, got them all, but despite all that, I loved it back then and still rate it quite highly now. The first 5 levels are a bit average, but the last 5 make up for it, especially the last three which were originally a later dlc addition that many original players would have missed out on. I had never gone for the 1CC back in the day because I eventually burnt out on grinding for the trophies and unlockables, so took this opportunity to get it (I did - woo!). Even now the 'surprise' at the final boss raises a smile from me, definitely a guilty pleasure this one despite its faults.
    8/10

Deus Ex Mankind Divided (Main Game)
    I was previously impressed by Human Revolution and although I guess I enjoyed this, it didn't impress me anyway near as much. Other than one aspect which I'll mention below, I felt I was just gaming to finish it. There was no compelling narrative or innovative gameplay to make it stand out and it just felt like more of the same.
    The one good aspect? Putting Jensen and all cyborgs as the oppressed, simply because of the fact they were not fully human. It was an interesting dynamic to see injustice and police brutality meted out on the specific part of the population that the player character was part of and to see it occur with increasing regularity as the world state worsened. Unfortunately the main plot wasn't particularly about that and instead followed some Bad Cyborgs trying to bomb stuff. Also Jenson was probably the least discriminant against of all cyborgs. The devs sadly weren't brave enough to bring Jensen low enough by the oppression to raise any sense of impotent rage/despair that would follow. He was chilled and in control at all times.What a missed opportunity!
    7/10
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.