Following Recently Completed Games Page 663

• Beetroot_Bertie 9 Jan 2021 23:26:34 531 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A Short Hike (Epic)
    Spent a chunk of today playing this and have really enjoyed it. It's been a really nice a relaxing platform/explorer/collect-em up and kept me occupied for 5 or so hours. Quite charming really.

Star Drift Evolution (Steam)
    Whilst I've not aced everything (I find it quite challenging and am a bit crap at it), I've managed recently to open all the tracks and gain enough stars to unlock all but one car. I've not played 'Art of Rally' but I can imagine it would appeal to fans of that unless they dislike the handling. It's more track/circuit-based but has a selection of point-to-point rally levels too. Loads of tracks/cars to go at and it's been surprisingly consuming for what I originally thought would be a simple top-down drift racer.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 23:28:44 09-01-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2021 23:37:15 16,065 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Day of the tentacle remaster (gamepass)

Played it before on psn+, its an classic game and its still excellent. I don't think its aged compared to the Monkey island games I played few years on XBLA. Onto Full throttle remaster now

9/10
    Of the classics this was my favourite when I replayed them a couple of years back.

Grim Fandango was the one I struggled with most but then it still has all the janky edges of an early 3D game. The 2D ones all look amazing.
  • JoeBlade 10 Jan 2021 10:10:25 5,713 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The style and humour of those games is fantastic but my goodness are some of the puzzles contrived and unintuitive. I couldn't bring myself to finish any of the remakes without frequently looking at a guide.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jan 2021 11:21:49 14,596 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played through Day of the Tentacle the other day too. I just used a guide and played it as a graphic novel. I'm not interested in even trying to work out/remember the puzzles these days.

I think I'd hate Discworld these days, I remember that one being the absolute worst.
  • JoeBlade 10 Jan 2021 12:22:51 5,713 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I think I'd hate Discworld these days, I remember that one being the absolute worst.
    I remember the issue with Discworld being mostly wordplay, which was well done but required a pretty solid grasp of the English language (me and my mates were still fairly young when it was released) and not being familiar with the Novels yet back then didn't help at all either.
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Jan 2021 12:24:19 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Discworld on ps1 was horrible game to play as the puzzles were so fucking obtuse without a guide. The 2nd DW game on PC was lot more user friendly to play

simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Of the classics this was my favourite when I replayed them a couple of years back.

Grim Fandango was the one I struggled with most but then it still has all the janky edges of an early 3D game. The 2D ones all look amazing.
    I played Grim Fandango when I had psn now during the spring/summer and the game was not overall fun to play as shitty puzzles and janky as mentioned
  • JonFE 10 Jan 2021 12:38:48 2,049 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I tried playing Grim Fandango remake on the PSVita a few years back; managed the first two chapters IIRC, but some backtracking and the seemingly frequent need for a guide lead me to abandon it.

Will try again on GP though. I have fond memories of LucasArts adventures from my youth and it leaves a bitter taste to have this remain unplayed...
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Jan 2021 13:09:27 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yakuza Kiwami 1 (gamepass)

Played it on psnplus a while ago and almost disliked the game due to the rare shit bits like the utter trash boss on Chapter 3, horrible difficulty spike and the boss is cheap AF. Also the 2nd to end boss is annoying with his guards with guns (Guns are annoyance in the game) Shame they never bothered to fix the issues which include the cheap boss heath regen but its a great game overall. Better than the remasters of the ps3 game as its more modern

8/10
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jan 2021 13:30:09 16,554 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Demon’s Souls

Really wish I had persevered the first time round. Turns out it is not actually that hard. Had a few road blocks on route but nothing completely unmanageable.

Anyway it is excellent and well worth playing if you have a PS5.

9/10
  • Malek86 10 Jan 2021 15:23:37 11,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    I tried playing Grim Fandango remake on the PSVita a few years back; managed the first two chapters IIRC, but some backtracking and the seemingly frequent need for a guide lead me to abandon it.

Will try again on GP though. I have fond memories of LucasArts adventures from my youth and it leaves a bitter taste to have this remain unplayed...
    Lucasarts adventures always suffered from being products of their time.

Probably the only one that has aged well is Loom, because it was much closer to a modern adventure - despite being one of their earliest games, before Monkey Island even. Would be nice to see a remaster.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jan 2021 00:48:07 16,065 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Full Throttle has aged really well. There are still issues but because it was the least puzzle focused it mostly plays as a stylish interactive graphic novel.

It probably helps too that it was always a bit underrated anyway
  • docrob 11 Jan 2021 00:51:21 1,720 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)

This is an odd one, because I completed it by accident, more or less. Did the final quest without realising it was the final quest, and suddenly the credits rolled. Still have loads of game to play, and want to get a better ending, so I'm still playing now, but technically I've finished it.

I've really enjoyed it. The city is amazing - a superb technical achievement. The acting is good, and the characters well fleshed out - you do end up caring about them. They did skimp a bit on the main story though - hopefully there will be DLC to solve that! Also driving is a bit crap.

8/10 - but a good 8.
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 01:01:09 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I played Grim Fandango fairlyyyy recently and thought it had aged really well. The controls were a little clunky but broadly the puzzles were doable and the story was absolutely superb. A real classic.
  • Dombat 11 Jan 2021 14:36:24 1,877 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Disco Elysium (PC)

Hit a few progression walls with this and nearly abandoned it at one point but eventually managed to get past them and the game was nicely paced for the second half of my playthrough.

While this is a cRPG it has a lot in common with traditional point-and-click adventures. I enjoyed the story and piecing together what was going on as the at the same time as the main character - probably the best use of the amnesia narrative mechanic in a game that I've come across.

Writing, world design (artistically) and music are all brilliant. Can see me replaying one day in the future with the voice acting added by then.

• PierrePressure 11 Jan 2021 16:07:26 1,260 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Miles Morales - 8.5/10

I can't believe I've been putting up with 30fps for so long.
    Beautiful game to look at and super smooth to play, the animation is fantastic too.
    Being a shorter experience certainly helped, even if I did replay the game against to get the Plat.

Looking forward to seeing what the sequel brings, 2 player co-op maybe?
  • senso-ji 11 Jan 2021 16:57:15 10,127 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hollow Knight

This was outstanding; forget being one of the best Metroidvania games, this is one of the best 2D action games ever made. The music, level design, challenge and content (I got the Voidheart edition) were incredible and I enjoyed exploring the world the devs had created immensely. Got this as part of the £1 PC Game pass deal but would say it is easily worth full price.

10/10

Edited by senso-ji at 16:57:32 11-01-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Jan 2021 16:59:26 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Carto (gamepass)

Its nice looking puzzle game where you have to flip and join map pieces to solve problems etc. By chapter 3 (which is mess of game design and random elements) you need a video walkthough as the game is terrible at giving you idea what to do next. You need to mind read the devs, another game where it feels like the devs know the game inside and out but they didn't ask someone to play test it (apart from bug testing) Shame as it could of been a nice game to relax but becomes a pain to keep checking walkthrough

5.5/10
  • Phattso 11 Jan 2021 16:59:51 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Given that full price for Hollow Knight is only £12, it's the best value game OF ALL TIME. Also my fave of the generation pretty much.

Edited by Phattso at 17:00:05 11-01-2021
  • dominalien 12 Jan 2021 20:06:19 10,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AI: The Somnium Files on PS5 (yay! \o/)

A detective’s friend is murdered and for some reason he’s the one to investigate.

Pretty standard Spike Chunsoft fare I’d say, which basically means it’s very good. Solid story, well written, fantastic twists and good resolution, although I thought the ending took some shortcuts which were very out of place as the story never took shortcuts before. I was pleasantly surprised I was able to mostly remember all the twists and turns and had no trouble following along.

The “puzzle” sections are basically a much more involved McPixel, you just click on stuff randomly until stuff happens and then work out the most efficient way to get to the end. They’re not bad, but far from the best I’ve seen.

In free move sections you get to click on almost everything and usually you get descriptions like “a table” or “a window”, but sometimes the characters will talk and those can vary from awful to quite funny to pretty witty, so my OCD made me click on everything all the time so I could hear them all. That got a bit tedious, though I realise the problem is in me.

Still have a couple of trophies to mop up, I’ll be sure to get them, even though it looks like I’ll be needing a guide.

8/10
  • Decap 12 Jan 2021 20:45:05 155 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    God of war. It was great, the combat was fun though the end was kind of a letdown for me and at some point I think the game kind of dragged on for too long. I would say 9/10.

Days Gone. Took me by surprise with it's quality! Once the kind of clunky and generic start was done the game really took off for me. A lot better than I actually anticipated and a gorgeous game on PS5. I played them simultaneously but I actually liked Days Gone more, so I have to give it a 9.5/10 in this instance! :o
  • QBX 12 Jan 2021 23:56:35 205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    2. Full Throttle Remastered (PC/GP)

Never played a LucasArts adventure so this seemed a good place to jump in as recommended by the comments above.

I managed to blaze through most of it yesterday (including the infamous wall pixel hunt) and as mentioned it plays more like an interactive novel than a puzzle game. Graphically it's been given a makeover but the 90s art style still looks good as does the audio.

There are some infuriating elements but all in all its good fun.

8/10

3. Sea of Solitude (GP)

I don't like being critical of games which explore mental health so just a few thoughts. Graphically it looks gorgeous (particularly shown in the calmer moments when its bright and colourful) and accompanied by a relaxing soundtrack as you sail about in your boat.

Gameplay is fairly basic platforming and there are some enemy/level design decisions in there which are annoying. Dialogue and voice acting stand out as something that can go either way but overall I thought performances weren't bad.

Its not overly long and I enjoyed what I played.

-/10
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Jan 2021 11:30:34 6,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Demon’s Souls (PS5)

Never did finish the original but persevered through this and very happy I did. It’s a stunning game that perfectly balances challenge with spectacle, hats off to Bluepoint for recreating and updating the original perfectly.

I feel like its been swept under the rug for 2020 GOTYs by a lot of people purely because it’s a remake, but this is easily one of last years best games and definitely the best “next gen exclusive”. Very excited to see what Bluepoint do next.

9/10
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Jan 2021 16:40:24 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Full throttle remaster (gamepass)

One game never played before and the redone graphics are really good as the game can be played widescreen. You flick to the old 4:3 aspect with old graphics. Starts off good but the middle of the game is crap and they didn't seem to improve it. The top down destruction derby bit is shit and the bit where you have to fight bikers is meh. Also it seems very simple puzzles but what and where to go next can be a pain especially on the road levels without a guide.

Don't buy it, its gamepass title as play it once and delete it
  • Bichii 13 Jan 2021 17:47:50 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Transistor (PS4)

Great little game with nice layers of depth to it that don't appear for a while. The reason I binned it six years ago, at first it seems to basic and pretty boring but if you force your way through that it opens up as a brilliant game with so many potential options during combat.

The story is similar, at first it just seems pretentious nonsense but by the end and subsequent play throughs it starts to make sense. Like diablo 3 it seems to get better the more times you complete it and it has items you can add to make the game harder.

I only went back to it as I really want to play Hades but I don't have a switch and I remembered transistor was by the same team. Glad I went back to it.
    Great length as well, I really don't fancy anything big at the moment.

8/10
  • anephric 13 Jan 2021 18:10:37 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What Remains of Edith Finch

Four years late, why did I not play this before. Sublime, like Wes Anderson made a game.

10/10
  • Phattso 13 Jan 2021 20:13:44 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    What Remains of Edith Finch

Four years late, why did I not play this before. Sublime, like Wes Anderson made a game.

10/10
    This was me recently. Thanks, GamePass. But also fuck me for not buying it years ago and supporting the devs.
  • anephric 13 Jan 2021 23:50:39 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think the words WALKING SIMULATOR put me off. I try to avoid walking anywhere in real life, why would I simulate it?

If it was COUCH SIMULATOR then I'd be on it like a car bonnet.
  • Bichii 13 Jan 2021 23:53:24 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah amazing game, this gen has given me maybe half a dozen walking simulators that have been magnificent. I'm currently on my next one, Kentucky route zero.
  • boo 14 Jan 2021 00:18:42 13,653 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I too have just completed Edith Finch. Fabulous game. I read the likes of Edge and all I see are games based around shooting, killing, fighting etc, and that really doesn't interest me. So it was a delight (although given the nature of the game, maybe delight isn't the right word) to play this.

At less than a fiver from the Playstation store it was an absolute bargain too.

Highly recommended.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.