Following Recently Completed Games Page 664

• Bichii 14 Jan 2021 00:32:39 4,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think if I had go choose between only playing indie or AAA I'd go indie. I'd miss the occasional gem like the last of us but in the last two or three years most of the memorable games have come from the small studios.

Edited by Bichii at 00:32:53 14-01-2021
  • Zippity-zap 14 Jan 2021 04:51:44 595 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Bichii I absolutely agree with that.
  • GumboVariations 14 Jan 2021 06:06:00 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Nah, there's plenty of great AAA games, plenty of great indies, but there's just as much dreck on both sides.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2021 06:29:07 25,155 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd go for indies, basically on account of them usually being cheaper. I'd still shell out for good AAA RPGs though.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 14 Jan 2021 14:31:50 2,985 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Horizon: Zero Dawn (PC)
    A little late to the party, I know. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I did loads of extra stuff, explored a fair bit and did about half the side quests and clocked a little over 40 hours. Didn't outstay its welcome at all. Loved the story and the characters, I thought the whole thing was quite clever and kept me hooked all the way through. I didn't do any of the Frozen Wilds stuff. I may go back to it after a bit, though.
    A few technical issues slightly marred the experience, though. Which was surprising given it's a fairly old game now and has been out on PC for well over enough time to fix the bugs. Lot's of random time jumps with weather and lighting effects, especially shadows, LOD loading pauses and even Aloy's clothing failed to load in quite a lot. And Aloy's facial animations when speaking were really wooden compared to the work that evidently went into some of the other characters.
    If there's a sequel, it'll be a definite purchase for me, just not day one in case of bugs...

Overall I'd say a solid 8/10.
  • dfunked09 14 Jan 2021 15:24:48 1,451 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    ...and even Aloy's clothing failed to load in quite a lot....
    Doesn't sound like a terrible bug in fairness
  • Zippity-zap 14 Jan 2021 17:50:58 595 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like to envision a future where asset pop-in is the new wardrobe malfunction. I mean, I have a friend who likes to imagine that.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Jan 2021 17:53:34 16,554 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Someone has been playing to much Cyberjunk 2077
  • uiruki 14 Jan 2021 19:35:40 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    3. Labyrinth of Galleria - PS4 - 5/5

Now this was a journey. There's 2-3 games worth of stuff in here; I don't just mean in the sense that it's long (123 hours for the true ending) but it genuinely shakes things up more than once in terms of both setting and how you actually play it. It remains a grid-style dungeon RPG throughout but it swaps between being a 'normal' one where you map everything out meticulously and fight a boss to one where you have to react to the landscape and watch out for landscape features and enemies alike. The final stretch in the postgame is a marathon crossed with a sprint that could have been sold on its own, I've not played a DRPG like that before. I can't really go into much more detail as it'd spoil things and there are some things where seeing them yourself is a lot of fun.

Story ended up delivering as well; it has some of the nasty tone changes as seen in previous Izumi games (though it's not as bad as some previous efforts) but a bit more editing to rein some of the stuff in would be nice next time around. Or maybe a therapy session for the guy, I think he's got a couple of Akira Tsuchiya-style unresolved issues.

Anyway, great dungeon crawler, highly recommended for anyone familiar with the genre. Not one for first timers though - although system wise it's actually very accommodation, not only is the difficulty level a bit uneven, but the whole thing's a bit sprawling in terms of maps and systems for someone not familiar with the genre. Hope to see another one, with a bit less than a 4 year wait this time around.
  • LoneWolf80 14 Jan 2021 21:34:31 176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Demon Souls - PS5

My first souls game absolutely loved it !

10/10
  • jonathanlealand 15 Jan 2021 01:17:53 129 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Borderlands 3 - 6/10

Completed the campaign once and cant be assed with the endgame or DLC. The gunplay is really fun but blimey itís a chore to get to it. The writing is terrible and missions are full of annoying fetch quests that you have to complete before you can actually use your shiny new toys and actually shoot people. I just canít bring myself to replay the campaign again.
  • Nanocrystal 15 Jan 2021 02:08:51 2,309 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @jonathanlealand I'm about two-thirds of the way through the campaign and really enjoying it. The writing is certainly hit and miss, and is extremely low-brow, but I'm finding some of the side quests (e.g. rumble in the jungle) and new characters (e.g. BALEX) quite entertaining in a brainless sort of way. Mission design actually feels like an improvement over the previous games, there seems to be fewer "find/deliver X items" or "kill Y enemies" than in BL1 or 2. I can definitely understand that if you're not digging the humour it must be annoying as fuck!
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jan 2021 03:12:20 25,155 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can confirm that, if you do not dig the humour, it is indeed annoying as fuck. :)
  • jonathanlealand 15 Jan 2021 08:55:14 129 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Nanocrystal Well I loved the humour in BL2, which is one of my fave games of all time, I just happen to think that the writing in BL3 is comparably much poorer. Granted the side quests are definitely funnier and I would say Balex is a rare highlight.

Itís not just the writing though. The map system is really fiddly and difficult to read, There are so many missions where I just want to go and shoot some fools but am made to travel back to Sanctuary to talk to someone, before being sent off to X place to talk to another person... I would not mind so much if it focussed on the best characters but BL3 instead inexplicably sidelines the seriesí best characters like, Tiny Tina, for Ava (ugh) and Tannis.

The gunplay really is a step up though. Fire fights are so genuinely exciting itís almost easy to forget the rest of the gamesí problems.
  • dominalien 15 Jan 2021 10:02:51 10,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'd go for indies, basically on account of them usually being cheaper. I'd still shell out for good AAA RPGs though.
    Meaning if you had to choose between indies and AAA you choose indies and AAA? ;-)
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jan 2021 10:16:32 25,155 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Meaning if you had to choose between indies and AAA you choose indies and AAA? ;-)
    When it comes to RPGs, sure. :)
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Jan 2021 16:31:34 4,815 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    State of decay 2 (main game)

Finally finished the main game thanks to the green zone mode, as warlord as the leader. I hope the devs don't do another single player mmo style crap missions again for 3. They added expansion campaign but with the plague walls it gets too hard. Glad the devs have done a lot of work to improve it (still some bugs)

Little Acres

on gamepass as well, its a nice point and click, its quite easy
  • garryo'neill 17 Jan 2021 19:51:47 51 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Assassins Creed Odyssey + Legacy of the First Blade.

Okay so I downloaded this last March when the pandemic kicked off as it was going for 30 quid, was an absolute steal for what I got out of it.

Amazing world and quests, it borrows heavily from Witcher 3 and you could argue itís not really an AC game at this point. I had some absolutely brilliant moments with this game and then there was times I was so fed up with it - itís Grindy and can be repetitive - the structure of the game is carried over into each of the HUGE worlds map sections and you just get sick of it. However saying that it got me hooked! And I loved the DLC as it tied the game into the lore of the franchise. The modern day story is now totally bonkers but Iím living for it.

Starting the Atlantis DLC then I have Valhalla to get stuck into. Must say I love this franchise- the world design of Ancient Greece is stunning and surpassed Egypt for me from Origins.
  • JoelStinty 17 Jan 2021 21:07:36 9,195 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím about 38 hours into Oydessy and iíve just reached that point where it starting to drag a bit. But itís been compulsively playable up to this point. I should probably start something else and put this on the back burner for a while. Personally I preferred Origins, I was more enamoured with its world and I think it has more enthusiasm for history than Oydessy does. Liking Kassandra though and been drawn into her story. Game narrative is a bit wonky though. The return to Athens was a
    bit wtf all over the place. For a massive game those moments came out of the blue and it just felt jilted. Also the one dimensional quests is really coming through which it didnít in Origins. Yet been finding it compulsively playable. Fatigue set in far later than say Ghosts of Tsushima.

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:10:14 17-01-2021
  • RyanDS 17 Jan 2021 22:08:43 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yakuza Kiwami

Wow. Bounced off this when it first came on ps plus but gave another chance now. What a fucking amazing game, for a game about beating people up it has so much heart and charm. Every single side mission was fantastic, I was laughing out loud many times and it got really disty at others.

"Mr. What is a soap land?" Had me rolling on the floor.

Some horrible difficulty spikes but apart from that I have not had so much joy in a game and its world in ages. I backpacker through the area it was set a few years back and it is scary how familiar it all is.

Only real down side is my flatmate walking in while I was doing the insect game which is the whole reason I don't play Japanese games on public transport, it isnhard to explain away why I have bikini woman wrestling on TV...

Anyway. Fucking amazing, wonderful game.

9.5/10
  • theguy 18 Jan 2021 11:31:04 1,010 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Sexy Brutale

I really enjoyed this. Something a bit different, a murder mystery game but you're trying to prevent the murders through observation and solving puzzles. Everything happens within a day, and at the end of the day it loops back to the beginning. It has fun writing, an interesting location and a great soundtrack too.

The only gripes I really have with it is that the puzzles themselves never go that extra mile or have an extra layer to them. A lot of it is pretty straightforward, meaning it can be a bit easy. Just feels like there was a lot more potential there.
    That and the game is on the short side. It's on sale on the PSN Store for £4 though.

I'm not sure the name helped it either. It doesn't really bother me but it gives the wrong impression and my friends list probably thinks I'm a perv now so there's that
  • Rhaegyr 18 Jan 2021 14:38:39 5,309 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love The Sexy Brutale but agree with all the points you made above. Criminally overlooked imo.
  • JoelStinty 18 Jan 2021 14:57:52 9,195 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shantae Half Genie Hero (Switch)

Completion Time: 7 hours (87%)

A fun and vibrant metroidvania platformer that was a bit of a breath of fresh air. Itís a relentlessly upbeat and energetic game, with upbeat music, characters and graphics which transfer to its platforming which is sharp and snappy. Doesnít outstay its welcome with a relatively short running time. Worth a punt

4.25/5
  • uiruki 18 Jan 2021 15:11:07 5,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    4. Uncharted 4 - PS4 - 2/5

Story's fun once it gets going, some good setpieces and technically really great for 2016, apart from some really old-looking TAA. I also liked the ending. But man, what a pain to play. The controls are dreadful; it's apparent that actually interacting with the game rather than watching it flip between 500 painstakingly performance captured animations is definitely secondary. Once you turn on the option to lock on to enemies rather than aiming manually (which seems to have taken its cues on responsiveness from Perfect Dark Zero) it's playable but it really struggles with anything more complex than holding forward on the stick and pressing X when a hand hold or a gap appears. The driving was just abominable.

I also can't remember the last time a game was so fucking pleased with itself either. It's constantly talking about how gorgeous all the views are and how amazing all the action bits were and once I noticed I couldn't see it as anything apart from a direct order to the player to be impressed. Docked another mark for that.
  • GumboVariations 18 Jan 2021 15:22:39 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @theguy play it back to back with Hatoful Boyfriend for extra perv points.
  • Malek86 18 Jan 2021 16:20:17 11,529 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fear 2 + Reborn (PC)

A sequel that was probably a bit too influenced by COD. Still, it manages to keep enough of the fun shooting from the original that it's worth playing through. The horror was toned down as well, but there are still a couple tense moments in there. Most annoying thing is that the shotgun lost its kick, but it's still great fun to zip around blasting everyone in the face before the slowtime bar runs out.

The Reborn expansion pretty much compresses the full experience into a short, one-hour long campaign. There are some nice setpieces at least. Surprisingly it even received a demo, which let you play one of the five levels. I guess ten minute demos were all the rage back then.

7/10

I might be interested in checking out the third game when I find it cheap enough.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:20:40 18-01-2021
  • Decks 18 Jan 2021 16:33:59 28,417 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 3rd one was shit from what I remember.
  • Rogueywon 18 Jan 2021 17:25:21 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I remember Fear 3 being basically ok (possibly better than the second one) while it lasted, but blink-and-you-miss-it short.
  • garryo'neill 19 Jan 2021 09:39:07 51 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JoelStinty I would take a little break and play something else until you "miss it" a little, Origins for me was amazing but too much of the world was empty and desert where I feel like this has some varied scenery and the geography of the world changes a lot. I was also bored of Origins when I finished the story, I didn't go back for the dlc whilst for this im loving jumping about in Atlantis.

Kassandra has to be one of the best written and played video game characters ever for me, up there with your Snakes and Nathan Drake.

Also the soundtrack is just incredible, I never hear anyone talk about it. Stunning.
  • Rum_Monkey 19 Jan 2021 10:13:40 1,959 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    AC Valhala

I'm not sure I actually enjoyed much of it but managed to sink 80hrs in to see it through. It's really fucking janky, from the sound to laughably bad cut scenes, and the combat just turns into a mess the more enemies there are. But it looks really great and vikings are cool.

5/10
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.