Following Recently Completed Games Page 665

• Decks 19 Jan 2021 11:04:07 28,847 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like an Assassin's Creed game alright.
  • CitizenGeek 19 Jan 2021 13:12:46 3,489 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Astro's Playroom. 7/10
    Delightful, and although not super deep, it's a really great showcase for the DualSense! Good move by Sony to include with the PS5 - certainly convinced me I had made a good purchase/investment!

Persona 5. 7/10.
    Finally completed this after playing it on and off for about 2 years, and 135 hours. Overall, it's a very solid RPG. I loved the surprisingly deep battle system, and I enjoyed the progression involved with the social sim aspects but it was marred somewhat by very poor localisation and writing. However... this game is just too damn long! It felt like it would never end at certain points, and a lot of it just felt very dragged out, especially towards the end. Don't think I'll play another Persona game again (unless the next one dramatically cuts down on the play length!) but I did ultimately enjoy this one.
  • Ultrasoundwave 19 Jan 2021 15:59:23 6,280 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mafia Definitive Edition (PS5)

Managed to finish the game that everyone forgot came out last year and I enjoyed it a lot.

Itís important to know going into this that youíre here for the story and very little else - the gameplay is very simplistic and the open world, whilst gorgeous, is just there for set dressing.

Whilst the story isnít remotely genre defining or wholly original, I did enjoy it from start to finish. There are excellent performances and surprisingly good graphics/facial capture here too, which really helps bring the world to life.

I just checked and itís £15 on Amazon right now, canít recommend it highly enough at that price.

8/10
  • Dazimus 20 Jan 2021 07:09:56 1,560 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Inspired by other posts in here, I finally started and finished Edith Finch after having it in my library for years.

Iím not sure why it took me so long to get around to it as I knew it was rated highly. And I can see why. Such a great game with so much clever ideas executed well. A few of those levels will stick with me for a while with how well done they were.
  • theguy 20 Jan 2021 08:48:28 1,015 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I love The Sexy Brutale but agree with all the points you made above. Criminally overlooked imo.
    Yeah, you really don't hear much about it at all but it's a cracking game. The sad thing is the issues I did have are the kind of things you'd generally expect to see fixed in a sequel too, but that's unlikely to ever happen.

GumboVariations wrote:
    @theguy play it back to back with Hatoful Boyfriend for extra perv points.
    I reckon I'll go with the KFC dating simulator instead. If I'm going to be considered a perv then at least I'll be one with refined taste
  • Rogueywon 20 Jan 2021 09:37:27 11,037 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Sexy Brutale bombed in sales terms, didn't it? Certainly, not longer after launch it was showing up in pretty much every Humble and Fanatical bundle for months. That's normally a sign of an ambitious indie title that's not managed to bring in the sales.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Jan 2021 09:41:52 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I liked Sexy Brutale but did not complete it.

I think the main reason it did not sell was its name.
  • uiruki 20 Jan 2021 09:54:45 5,667 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    5. Magic Potion Millionaire - PC - 3/5

Decent little platform dungeon crawler. The pacing isn't quite there, though: it takes too long for the stat inflation to really start for the player compared to the enemies, and there are probably a few too many floors on each dungeon. The enemies which can't be hit with bullets are really aggravating too. Excellent soundtrack, and the music player is nicely designed as it lets you flip between the original track and the loop they cut from it.
  • JoelStinty 20 Jan 2021 09:58:09 9,274 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    The Sexy Brutale bombed in sales terms, didn't it? Certainly, not longer after launch it was showing up in pretty much every Humble and Fanatical bundle for months. That's normally a sign of an ambitious indie title that's not managed to bring in the sales.
    Seem to remember it launched to decent reviews but marred with massive technical problems? Guess a lot of people waited on it, but as with these things probably moved on as well.
  • DFawkes 20 Jan 2021 10:09:50 32,752 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

From that name, I honestly thought it was one of those near-hentai style anime themed brawlers like Onechanbara or Senran Kagura. This thread is the first time I've found out that's not the case.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Jan 2021 10:13:49 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

From that name, I honestly thought it was one of those near-hentai style anime themed brawlers like Onechanbara or Senran Kagura. This thread is the first time I've found out that's not the case.
    Indeed. I recommended it to a friend and they also thought it was a swimsuit fighter.
  • RyanDS 20 Jan 2021 10:15:46 13,821 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

This. I only checked it out because of the praise here.

Stupid stupid name for a game.
  • StixxUK 20 Jan 2021 10:16:04 8,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

Indeed. I recommended it to a friend and they also thought it was a swimsuit fighter.
    But what actually is it?
  • SnackPlissken 20 Jan 2021 10:17:29 2,758 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I heard Sexy Brutale is broken on Switch and never fixed. I've had it on my wishlist since it was released.. never see it on sale.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Jan 2021 10:18:45 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @StixxUK

It is an adventure puzzle game where you use time manipulation to navigate around an old mansion solving murders.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Jan 2021 10:21:20 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I heard Sexy Brutale is broken on Switch and never fixed. I've had it on my wishlist since it was released.. never see it on sale.
    I played it on Switch and it was ok in the early parts of the game when you are in relatively small areas of the mansion.

Later you get access to the whole mansion and the performance tanks. (This is where I stopped playing).
  • StixxUK 20 Jan 2021 12:01:45 8,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch like Obra Dinn meets Knives Out?

Sounds cool
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Jan 2021 12:19:11 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @StixxUK It is nowhere near as good as Obra Dinn (and not particularly similar). Not played Knives Out, so not sure if the comparison is valid.

I thought it was like an isometric Ghost Trick as you are using time travel to prevent the murders.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jan 2021 12:20:09 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Knives Out is a movie, not a game. Just a murder mystery kind of thing.
  • uiruki 20 Jan 2021 12:22:59 5,667 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Knives Out is the Netease PUBG clone.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jan 2021 12:29:25 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, ok. But the movie is probably more similar to Sexy Brutale than a battle royale game is.
  • StixxUK 20 Jan 2021 13:04:51 8,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah meant the movie :D

Sounds less cool based on "nowhere near as good as Obra Dinn"
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Jan 2021 13:07:32 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Obra Dinn is fucking awesome though.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jan 2021 13:23:02 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, Obra Dinn is a masterpiece.
  • QBX 20 Jan 2021 17:02:27 209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    4. Ryse: Son of Rome (GP)

Graphically still looks good (cinematics in particular) but that is where the positives end. The plot is like something you might find on Netflix though there is the faintest hint at something better had they maybe made it more open world.

Combat is basic button mashing with executions being limited to QTE events which make it outright boring and take you right out the experience. You can also use throwing spears but the animation takes what feels like an eternity and somehow doesn't work into the flow of the combat.

Gameplay wise to change things up there are points where you move as a 'formation' but its so mechanical and really needed fleshing out. There are also micromanagement sections where you can choose how troops are deployed but none of it really matters and there is the odd FPS section but the lock-on is horrible.

All in all its a frustratingly shallow experience built on pretty graphics.

3/10
  • mrharvest 22 Jan 2021 15:02:05 5,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mechwarrior 5
    I played it only a couple of hours unmodded and then put in Merctech mod and some AI improvement mods. With these improvements it turned out to be a lot of fun. Nice stompy big boy robots. A lot of flexibility in configuring the mechs. There was a lot of tech I never found in the game (for example I got only 1 anti-missile system in the whole story playthrough), so might be fun to explore different areas. I think it could do with a bit of TLC from the game developer and it would be a great mech game.
    8/10
  • Malek86 22 Jan 2021 21:33:19 11,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pandora's Box (PC)

I suppose nobody would know about this game if it hadn't been made by the creator of Tetris. It's actually a collection of puzzles (no, Tetris isn't included) using photos from various cities around the world. Great concept, and it is great fun while the puzzles stay on the easy side.

By the second half though, the low resolution of the photos becomes an issue, as almost all puzzles are based on them, making them just hard enough to feel boring. Plus it gets repetitive eventually, since there are only ten types of puzzles in the game.

Definitely an interesting game though, and I wish it were available digitally so more people could try it. Good thing my disc still works well on Windows 10, but obviously a digital release would go a long way to make it more easily available.

8/10

Edited by Malek86 at 21:34:03 22-01-2021
  • Steifybobbins 23 Jan 2021 07:11:02 772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I found it really boring and gave up after 2 hours but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise

Edited by Steifybobbins at 07:11:29 23-01-2021
  • Mola_Ram 23 Jan 2021 07:45:14 25,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I found it really boring and gave up after 2 hours but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise
    Ok, it's... not boring?

I dunno, the whole thing is like a giant logic puzzle mixed with a mystery, and when you "get" it you feel like the smartest person in the world. If that (or the great visuals and soundtrack) doesn't appeal, then I don't really know what to tell you. Different people find different things boring.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:46:21 23-01-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jan 2021 08:45:02 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds like someone solved the tutorial, watched the majority of deaths play out and then sacked it off.

Solving the second and third sets of 3 is really the key to Obra Dinn. Do that and you will be hooked.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.