Following Recently Completed Games Page 670

• Rogueywon 11 Feb 2021 00:00:54 11,037 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @dfunked09 Yeah, a genuine GoaT contender. Bet I know the boss that had you controller-smashing. :)
  • Gazray_88 11 Feb 2021 00:56:27 9 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    “Finished” DMC5 SE on PS5. Was a blast. Loved the soundtrack, return of the classic storyline and the 3 characters. The mixing and different play styles kept everything interesting and stopped things getting predictable but I found it difficult to really master any of the characters. Going to go back through as Vergil.
  • Bichii 11 Feb 2021 01:22:51 4,303 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mortal shell.

Better than I expected. Maybe a generous 8. Way way too easy. I reckon I died less than ten times which is mental for that type of game. I'm sure it does ramp up though if I went into Ng+ Ng++ etc.

8/10
  • mrpon 11 Feb 2021 15:10:23 36,885 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Gato Roboto (Gamepass)

Its a decent metrodvania feat. a cat in mech suit, not a fan of the gameboy style graphics, super metroid's graphic have it so much atmosphere back inthe day. in the underwater level boss fight, its a bit of mess of bullets, bubbles etc (the game gives you filters but they are fucking ugly like all green graphics etc) Another issue is the animation is so basic, it feels like the ancient hit boxes sometimes of 8 bit game.

But its great getting a new power up to explore more. Also does not wear out its welcome
    £2.89 on Steam for a few more hours.
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Feb 2021 16:19:25 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Gato Roboto (Gamepass)

Its a decent metrodvania feat. a cat in mech suit, not a fan of the gameboy style graphics, super metroid's graphic have it so much atmosphere back inthe day. in the underwater level boss fight, its a bit of mess of bullets, bubbles etc (the game gives you filters but they are fucking ugly like all green graphics etc) Another issue is the animation is so basic, it feels like the ancient hit boxes sometimes of 8 bit game.

But its great getting a new power up to explore more. Also does not wear out its welcome
    £2.89 on Steam for a few more hours.
    Excellent game.
  • RedPanda87 12 Feb 2021 19:44:12 2,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cyberpunk

10/10

Game of the year. Maybe game of the generation.
  • dfunked09 12 Feb 2021 19:55:29 1,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    ... just not this year, right?
  • Kilters 12 Feb 2021 20:23:48 635 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Control on Xbox Series X

Just as the combat was getting good, it was over.

Plot was brave but ultimately too Bonkers for its own good I felt. The video game equivalent of Tenet.

6/10
  • Malek86 12 Feb 2021 20:33:43 11,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Fool's Errand (Mac version emulated on PC)

At first, a collection of puzzles. But what sets it apart from the likes of Professor Layton is the larger meta-puzzle that spans the entire game. Occasionally frustrating, but far less often than you'd expect. Even the final 14 puzzles, which seem very hard at first, are quite manageable once you get the hang of it. I did have to use a couple hints to at least get an idea on how to decipher the map though.

The developer offers the Mac emulated version for free on his website. One for a rainy weekend... or maybe a whole rainy week.

8/10

Edited by Malek86 at 20:34:40 12-02-2021
  • monsieur-Cosmo 13 Feb 2021 08:36:40 640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dead Space 2 (PC). Meh.
  • Red_Bool 13 Feb 2021 11:03:48 2,210 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Horace (Switch)

Starts slow and is heavy on story telling. But what a story it is! Truly memorable story and characters. Really glad I played this as it made quite an (emotional) impression (the last game that managed to do that was Life is Strange).
    The difficulty can be punishing at times, but luckily respawning is instant and checkpoints are reasonable. Mixing things up with retro minigames was fun.

Highly recommended
  • Rogueywon 13 Feb 2021 23:39:15 11,037 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Octopath Traveller (PC) - 7/10

And... done! Almost 80 hours on the clock... hellishly grindy game.

There's the core of a charming old-school JRPG. Turn based mechanics, element systems, classes, weaknesses and so on. The visuals are a decent modern update on the 16-bit style. Battles take a bit too long, even when over-levelled and the mechanics feel like they're skewed against the player at every possible point. But still... the core gameplay loop is fine.

Story's a mixed bag. I appreciate that they did eight different stories, with different tones and feels, that came together at the very end. But it's a bit disappointing that interactions between party members are so limited. Other than a few incidental conversations, they barely talk to each other and their stories play out as though they were alone. The secret post-game ending does loop many of the story threads together nicely, though.

But FUCKING HELL this game is grindy. I nearly dropped it somewhere in the middle of the transition from the Chapter 2s to the Chapter 3s, just because of the sheer fucking tedium of running in a circle to level up on random fights, which take too long and don't give much experience. Things got better once I got the advanced jobs and could blitz those fights faster, which saw me through to the end of the Chapter 4s.

Then I hit the postgame this morning. And all I have done, all day, is grind to get the levels I need for the "true" final boss. All day. Running in circles doing easy fights. And I still just about scraped through the last boss by the skin of my teeth.

Nice game, but if they do a sequel, they need to shave off the rough edges.
  • uiruki 14 Feb 2021 00:23:40 5,667 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Everything I've seen written about that game suggests the game structure was entirely driven towards that 'eight characters' conceit at the cost of pretty much everything else. I didn't end up going for it in the end (I really don't like the graphical style) but expectations seem to be more realistic if you treat it as a game by Acquire, not by Square Enix. Which I think is fair, as that's who actually made it.

Their next game looks like a DRPG, which I guess would be their first since Mind/0 which was rough. Let's hope they remember to put an ending in this time!
  • Britesparc 14 Feb 2021 11:45:09 2,238 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox)

Good, fast, responsive lightsaber combat and a genuinely compelling and well-acted Star Wars story, that fits in nicely around existing movie continuity in a way reminiscent of The Mandalorian (the opening scrapyard scenes of Clone Wars-era ships being dismantled is very evocative). The graphics can be very good but some lighting and model work is disappointing, and running on a base Xbox One the game can perform very, very poorly.

Despite it generally being very enjoyable and overall very good, what lets it down the most is the level design. Although the worlds you explore aren't too big, it's easy to get lost, with too little visual signposting, and the lack of fast travel is infuriating. Plus - and this is a personal bugbear which might not annoy everyone - I absolutely can't stand "save points". Give me regular checkpoints, before and after every encounter, and please don't resurrect enemies. I don't mind dying as long as I can jump straight back in as close to the moment as possible; otherwise I feel like I'm wasting time playing the same sequence over and over again.
  • Rogueywon 14 Feb 2021 15:33:35 11,037 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4, played on PS5) - 10/10

Fucking hell that was good. A very, very strange hybrid of visual novel and real-time-with-pause strategy, which takes a while to get into. Starting out, it looks like a strange mish-mash with a nearly incomprehensible plot. Once you start to get a handle on what's going on, it's absolutely superb.

It makes an interesting contrast with Octopath Traveller. They're both Japanese games with multiple protagonists. But while Octopath keeps its stories separate until they very end and sticks to a familiar and grindy JRPG gameplay loop, 13 Sentinels opts for a non-linear approach to 13 deeply connected stories. I'm a bit smug that I managed to work out 90% of what was happening before the game info-dumps you with explanations, but that did take some real lateral thinking.

The combat side of the game feels strange and rather easy to begin with, but ramps up to the point that the final few battles are incredibly intense on the standard difficulty (though no need for grinding). Many of the mechanics are familiar from the Super Robot Wars games, but playing out in RTWP rather than turn-based.

Visual style is excellent, soundtrack is very good, some highly amusing homages to classic sci-fi. Finished with a platinum and may well replay at some point.
  • Gazray_88 15 Feb 2021 09:52:32 9 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Finished the last sequence on Assassins Creed 3 Remastered over the weekend. (ps4 played on PS5)

I got this with Odyssey Season Pass (amazing value for money btw) and fancied some classic AC gameplay after 200 odd hours in Greece. Made me feel very nostalgic for the older games but I am glad they have moved the series on. The combat gameplay is archaic and slow and very frustrating! however in this game the environments are still charming (Rope Darts, Tree Traversal, The Snow!), its small and managable and all in doing the side quests and homestead missions it took me around 50 hours to finish - which I think for classic AC was a massive game. The remaster has also had god rays, HDR and all sorts of graphical bells and whistles added so it was nice to look at.

In 3 the storyline with Connor and the colonies was done so well, I think its massively underrated the ending is really cruel. Also so glad they fixed the final chase sequence which was very broken on ps3.

Im just about to get tore into Valhalla and have picked up Rogue in the sale for a tenner - never played that one.

Edited by Gazray_88 at 10:10:58 15-02-2021

Edited by Gazray_88 at 10:11:59 15-02-2021
  • Rhaegyr 15 Feb 2021 09:55:36 5,356 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Messenger (Gamepass)

Superb. Retro done right with a killer soundtrack to boot. Not quite the level of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom but it's the closest thing I've played since.

8/10
  • oldskooldeano 15 Feb 2021 11:11:13 3,323 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Call of the Sea (Gamepass)

A nice, fairly short puzzle adventure with a vaguely lovecraftian vibe. The puzzles are all visually based. The answers are around you and pitched at a low level of difficulty. Not too easy, but just about right to make you feel like you are smart when solve them. An enjoyable few hours to be had.
    7/10
  • Trafford 15 Feb 2021 12:12:17 8,970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Re 13 Sentinels.
    Yeah the homages are brilliant, the bathroom scene really made me laugh.
  • DuckBreaker 15 Feb 2021 13:46:28 243 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • Samildanach 15 Feb 2021 13:51:39 546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gazray_88
    I have only played the PS3 version, but AC3 still stands out the best for me so far (only finished up to Unity though). The two villains are more nuanced that the typical 'evil' Templar Grandmaster and the setting was entirely new for me. Enjoyed every minute, well apart from that final chase sequence!
  • papalazar0u 15 Feb 2021 19:10:30 219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon been eyeing this up for a while, currently on sale for about £25 so very tempted after reading this. How does it hold up outside of the combat? Been looking for something to scratch my Persona itch so interested to hear how it compares in the downtime as such.
  • Rogueywon 15 Feb 2021 23:39:36 11,037 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @papalazar0u It's more directly "visual novel" than Persona. There's no time management mechanics or anything. That said, it's definitely at the more interactive end of the visual novel spectrum - there are a few puzzle areas to solve and so forth. But no need to mess around with multiple saves and decision-tree charts or anything - it takes care of all of that for you.

Story's excellent. It starts out looking quite generic, then rapidly goes some very strange (but also rather clever) places.
  • waggy79 16 Feb 2021 00:21:02 2,352 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rhaegyr If you liked the Messenger you should also try Cyber Shadow.
  • papalazar0u 16 Feb 2021 08:37:05 219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon cheers for that - think i'll give it a go, sounds interesting and different enough to try it out.
  • Malek86 16 Feb 2021 09:21:25 11,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Adera (PC)

I remember this game was somewhat pushed for being one of the launch titles on the Windows 8 storefront. It's not quite a hidden objects game, because it mixes several other puzzles as well. Nowadays that's common, but back in 2012 not so much. You can also see it had a higher budget than the average of its time.

Unfortunately it's still got most of the trappings of the HOG genre, plus the puzzles tend to be either real easy or plain annoying. The budget noticeably runs out somewhere around the halfway mark, at which point the game runs out of ideas too. And the story ends with a cliffhanger.

It was okay, but it could have been better.

6/10
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 16 Feb 2021 10:44:01 3,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No Mans Sky (PC)

Pre ordered it back in 2016. Played more than 2 hours on release - no refund after discovering Sean Murray's lies. Dumped it till last week.

With all the updates and additions now all in, I decided to give it another go.
    I'm glad I did as I really enjoyed it. Put 54 hours into it and loved it. There was still way more to do, but I kinda felt like I'd finally got my money's worth and I have a massive backlog to get through, so I'm moving on!
    The whole get to the centre of the galaxy ending was a bit shit, but that's not the point of the game and not why I enjoyed it. The discovery mechanics are limited, but way better than they were. The crafting is deep and broad, the ships, frigates ect are all really well done, as is the derelict craft stuff.
    The base building is where it shines the best, though. Finding a good system with a good planet for views and then building up your base is brilliant. Lots to discover, with not too much grinding if you do it right. Now I've finished the main story, I could quite easily jump back in and sink a few hundred hours into it, but I can't!

Still a few things that Sean promised that are missing, but overall they've earnt my respect for carrying on with no extra financial reward expected. I hope more people bought it and support their efforts. But I hope they've learned their lesson by not letting Sean near an interview from now on.

8/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2021 10:53:15 16,375 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The Messenger (Gamepass)

Superb. Retro done right with a killer soundtrack to boot. Not quite the level of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom but it's the closest thing I've played since.

8/10
    I really really enjoyed about half of this game.

How did you find the collectathon which begins after you beat the monks at the top of the mountain and they let you teleport about to eventually get the true ending?

It was too much of a grind for me.

But the linear stuff up to the point was spot on.

And the soundtrack is excellent
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2021 10:55:36 16,375 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Horace (Switch)

Starts slow and is heavy on story telling. But what a story it is! Truly memorable story and characters. Really glad I played this as it made quite an (emotional) impression (the last game that managed to do that was Life is Strange).
    The difficulty can be punishing at times, but luckily respawning is instant and checkpoints are reasonable. Mixing things up with retro minigames was fun.

Highly recommended
    Does anyone know if this is remaining PC/Switch only or if they’re planning on rolling out to other consoles?

It looks class
  • Bambot 16 Feb 2021 11:04:15 1,965 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Horace (Switch)

Highly recommended
    Is it meant to be anything to do with Horace Goes Skiing on the Speccy back in the day?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.