Following Recently Completed Games Page 671

• Rogueywon 16 Feb 2021 11:41:17 11,037 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bambot The game's stuffed with references to games of that vintage, so it's probably a small nod to the older title, but there aren't any deeper connections. Excellent game, though, if you can look past some of the difficulty spikes.
  • beastmaster 16 Feb 2021 11:44:16 21,931 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - 9/10

What a game! 193 hours and I've done everything bar some of the achievements. With these games I normally abandon them once I've finished the main plot but not this one. Every treasure chest (including the non Wealth ones), mysteries and artefacts. Think this is the first time I've ever cleared a game like this. I did say I'd finished with it about a week ago but I hadn't realised there was still more plot to go. Even when I finished, I wanted to totally clean up.

I almost enjoyed absolutely everything in this game. I think the setting, 60fps, lovely graphics and fast loading times helped a lot. Some stunning stunning visual moments on the Series X.

I did find this game infuriating at times though. Having to come out of missions and go to an early save point as bugs prevented game progression, having to Google why certain missions were not kicking in or events not happening. There were plenty of other minor bugs such as being called "old man" when I was the female character and graphics glitches in cut-scenes. The end of game got dragged out a lot. There was one point where I really wasn't enjoying the game at all but I was just driven to see it through. The bits in the real world to be specific.

The most infuriating thing of all was the fucking anomalies. Some of them I would just take one look at and then go onto YouTube and follow as I couldn't be bothered. A fucking nightmare but I actually thought the end result was with the effort.

Now to the score. Reading this back, it seems that it should score lower. Yet I got so much damn enjoyment from playing this that despite all of the above gripes, I had great time playing it. Not been this compelled by a game since Zelda: BotW.

It's getting some updates today and new gameplay modes.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-15-assassins-creed-valhalla-gets-new-river-raids-mode-in-tomorrows-title-update

Honestly at the moment, I'm truly fatigued having gone through this. I can't face this just yet. I'll leave it a few weeks and get to this. Give them time to iron out any bugs as well.

I fancy something completely different now. I may move onto the Switch. I've got a Capcom Real Arcade Pro V. fight stick still unboxed from absolutely ages ago. Streets of Rage 4 and some Streetfighter games beckon.

Edited by beastmaster at 11:46:09 16-02-2021
  • Gazray_88 16 Feb 2021 13:40:36 9 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @Samildanach never finished Unity as I hit the wrong icon and ended up in the DLC severely under levelled and I couldn't exit it! you had to complete the first mission but the enemy were about 10 levels above me, such a broken design choice. made me just rage quit it.
  • RyanDS 16 Feb 2021 17:22:56 13,821 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fenyx Rising

Breath of the Wild, but someone bothered to give the main character a personality and add a story. Really enjoyed this, basically as per the first sentence, someone took botw, did an exact clone and gave it some personality and modern graphics. And dropped the shit stuff (weapons breaking...)

Loved it, at 40 hours a fairly brisk adventure, loved the shrines, some genuinely taxing puzzles. I laughed a few times at the voiceovers. Still a lot to mop up, I have some shrines left, but I already did all legendary monsters etc.

It did lack some of the polish of botw but that never bothered me that much. Also some sections were overly long.

A solid 8/10
  • Decks 16 Feb 2021 18:46:33 28,847 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    God of War

Started playing this after the PS5 update and haven't been able to put it down. Forgot how good it actually was, definitely up there with my favourite games ever. Looks absolutely stunning now in 4K 60fps and the framerate has taken the combat to another level. Can't wait for the sequel now, although I think the developers are in a bit of a difficult situation now as anything less than 4k 60fps will feel like a downgrade so not sure how much better they're going to be able to get it to look. Was thinking of clearing up everything that's left, how much of a fuck on is it?

10/10
  • Phattso 16 Feb 2021 18:54:54 26,728 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Decks given that the next God of War is also coming to PS4, I think there's a better than average chance that the PS5 version might offer something close to 4K60 with a bunch of other upgrades on top if there's headroom in the hardware.

As for the post-endgame content, I actually almost enjoyed it more. There's some fun content in there with multiple runs through a gauntlet, plus a decent combat challenge to get to the top of Firetop Mountain or whatever.

I loved it. Definitely worth reading up on to see if it's your thang though. There's the Valkyries to hunt down too.
  • Decks 16 Feb 2021 18:55:56 28,847 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS worth 35 quid? I'm quite tempted with it.
  • RyanDS 16 Feb 2021 19:03:00 13,821 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    @RyanDS worth 35 quid? I'm quite tempted with it.
    I would say so. If you like ubisoft bloat it has lots, but nicely slimmed down. I like it a lot more than the reviews suggest.
  • Decks 16 Feb 2021 19:04:43 28,847 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Ubisoft stuff is putting me off to be honest. It's really put me off the last few games of theirs I've played.
  • RyanDS 16 Feb 2021 19:08:45 13,821 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The Ubisoft stuff is putting me off to be honest. It's really put me off the last few games of theirs I've played.
    It is very different to something like assassins creed. Every shrine is genuinely fairly unique, I never got bored of them.
  • Samildanach 16 Feb 2021 19:35:31 546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gazray_88 wrote:
    @Samildanach never finished Unity as I hit the wrong icon and ended up in the DLC severely under levelled and I couldn't exit it! you had to complete the first mission but the enemy were about 10 levels above me, such a broken design choice. made me just rage quit it.
    The very same thing happened to me! What an idiotic choice putting the inescapable dlc icon right by the homebase. I painfully slogged my way through the ridiculously long first dlc mission so that I could get back to the main game. I agree, terrible design.
    The main Unity story was alright, it even had a few good bits, but once that and the dlc were done, I just couldn't be arsed with all the side missions this time. There is only so many times you can clear all the icons on an AC game before you start to question your sanity.

Edited by Samildanach at 19:35:51 16-02-2021
  • Phattso 16 Feb 2021 19:39:36 26,728 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's not the usual icon fest. You can choose your own level of repetition with it, but you might be surprised how much you choose to go for. It's decently varied, the combat is arguably more fun than Ass Creed, and the significantly less po-faced take on the genre is a relief after some of the other more grim dark open worlders.

Caps out at about 35 hours to do the main quests plus some side stuff, so definitely not in 70hrs+ Ass Creed territory.

It doesn't have the sheen of quality that Breath of the Wild has, and some of the puzzle areas will grind your gears for reasons other than the actual puzzle solving, but overall it's a cracking little game and a real palate cleanser for the genre.

Not sure it's what I'd choose to follow God of War with mind you. :)
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Feb 2021 17:02:06 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Superhot: mind control delete

Its a short game stretched out with few new ideas and levels. There is difficulty spike where you have to give up your cores and face invincible enemy, sometimes they spawn early and it really depends on your run.

Forgot about the utter bullshit where you have to wait for 2 and half hours (leaving the console on) it was 8 hours at launch. I read the developers comments and all pretentious bullshit from him. Its laughable he thinks the ending is deep and means something, I bet sniffs his very toxic fart, comparing it to the best in writing. At one point in development it was 24 hours you had to leave the game running

Glad it was gamepass game

5/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Feb 2021 01:15:42 16,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Pathless

Successor to Journey and Abzu, only this time instead of exploring the ruins of a lost civilisation youíre fighting to save one from going that way.

Considering the basic game is collecting enough items via fairly easy puzzles to unlock an epic boss fight before moving onto the next area and doing the same its an addictive gameplay loop. Every review Iíve seen compares it to Breath of the Wild, which admittedly I havenít played, but none of them mention Shadow of the Colossus which is a weird omission. I guess its a kind of groupthink or short memory syndrome among the critics because in a lot of way this game has more in common with that one that any other.

I feel like considering the cult hits Journey and Abzu are that this wouldíve got more attention and while it doesnít have quite the same magic they do itíll be a shame if it doesnít get recognition of its own.

8.5/10

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 01:16:11 21-02-2021
  • Tomo 21 Feb 2021 11:43:18 18,983 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Half Life Alyx - 9.5/10

Finally finished it after a long hiatus, mainly driven by The Current Situation (TM), living in a shoebox and having to rearrange my WFH office to play it, and the absolute faff that is lighthouses, the flakey link box and Steam VR. Normally takes anywhere between 10 and 30 mins to get the fucking Vive setup working and not whinging about undetected something or other.

Anyway. Wow. It just ramps up in that beautiful way that Valve knows how to construct. A crescendo of great design, set pieces and story. The final 3 or 4 chapters are just amazing.

The whole thing is amazing. It's an era defining game in the same way as Doom, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time etc. It really feels like a fully realised new way of gaming - a template for VR to progress. Buttt whereas there were a tonne of really great Mario 64 clones, it's hard to see it happening with VR still, at least for a good while yet. For example that Respawn Medal of Honour game looked like it might deliver and has failed miserably from what I can tell.

Docked half a mark because you can see the strings being pulled as you're playing. Despite the insane level of immersion, the enemies conveniently stand still if they have a big gun, or they only circle you very slowly so you can keep an eye on them easily. There's lots of understandable design choices, borne out of compromise. But VR has plenty of scope for improvement.

Loved it and dat ending... Wowsers.
  • RyanDS 21 Feb 2021 17:47:44 13,821 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished Mario 3d World haven't started on the bowser stuff yet.

It was okay I suppose. 6, maybe 7 out of 10 and the whole time I was thinking if I wanted to play a great platformer I should be playing Rayman.

I don't know why I keep buying nintendo games. They always seem so polished, but so bland and unimaginative. There wasn't a single level where I loved it and was wowed like the Rayman music levels.

Controls felt shit and the mock 3d was pretty rubbish and I dropped off ledges far too often.

I am fully aware I am in the minority on this one.
  • Kay 21 Feb 2021 18:28:18 20,991 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It sounds like maybe you just like music rhythm platformer games? :p

I loved Rayman Origins/Legends, but they're still a notch below the top Mario games for me.

Edited by Kay at 18:28:41 21-02-2021
  • dfunked09 21 Feb 2021 19:14:06 1,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The rest of Rayman Legends was pretty ace too, but damn those musical levels were so good!

I'd probably put Legends above most recent Mario games apart from the mainline ones like Odyssey/Galaxy.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Feb 2021 19:25:34 16,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rayman Legends was the best platformer Iíd played in ages, its got everything and does it all so well
  • Bichii 22 Feb 2021 09:41:53 4,303 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gears 5.

Generally good. Any time it had those open areas with the skiv it took a nose dive. Also similarly to 4 it had a pretty large shit Chuck mid way to late game. Just loads of situations with one hit deaths and my god the snatchers and mini snatchers are just annoying. Still it was very good fun even if I did not care one bit for what was going on..that energy sniper is maybe my favourite gun ever! All those head explosions in quick succession. I forgot how great the Xbox pad is for aiming Vs ps pad. Those rapid crispy snipes are so satisfying.

• dominalien 22 Feb 2021 10:27:18 10,307 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Portal 2 on Linux PC.

Everything has already been said, nothing to add.

9/10
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Feb 2021 10:29:50 29,798 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:

It was okay I suppose. 6, maybe 7 out of 10 and the whole time I was thinking if I wanted to play a great platformer I should be playing Rayman.

I don't know why I keep buying nintendo games. They always seem so polished, but so bland and unimaginative. There wasn't a single level where I loved it and was wowed like the Rayman music levels.

Controls felt shit and the mock 3d was pretty rubbish and I dropped off ledges far too often.

I have no idea how anyone could say that the 3d Mario games are unimaginative, IMO they are a riot of invention and creativity.
  • welshben1982 22 Feb 2021 10:52:39 1,362 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watch Dogs: Legion

Too many poxy Network Bypasses, the only enjoyable bypass (not sure if enjoyable is the right word) is the one when you're taking on Nigel Cass the others are just boring and monotonous!

Absolutely abysmal driving mechanics, why does the fecking camera go weird when your just trying to make a simple U turn.

But I found every tech point location, every relic location & every audio file, most of the exploring I enjoyed more than the storyline which I was glad to finish last night. I haven't played WD1 & only a tiny demo of WD2, apart from the tedious network bypasses this game was decent.

7/10
  • uiruki 22 Feb 2021 11:01:25 5,667 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    13. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Switch - 4/5

I've been turning this over for a while, been flipping between a 3 and a 4. It's a really good game - lots of variety in characters, some great playable character choices and a fun story, but it's completely let down by the Switch hardware. It gets so choppy and inconsistent that it significantly affects your defensive options as the dodge is so inconsistent. I ended up with a 4 as there'll surely be better hardware at some point, so I'll come back to it when it's a more consistent 30, rather than fluctuating between what feels like 15 and 25.
  • Rodimus-Prime 22 Feb 2021 12:26:33 417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maneater on PS5.

I wanted to use my PS5 to play an actual PS5 game (not that playing my PS4 games with faster load times and in near silence isn't good) so figured i'd try this.

As far as it being a PS5 game, i think it's a pretty lazy conversion that doesn't make use of any of the dualsense features or even look that much better than the PS4 version.

But it's pretty fun. I enjoyed all the little references, such as finding a pineapple house under the sea. And customising my shark.

If they made a similar game but with a different animal, i'd probably play it if it was 'free' on PS plus. Like a hippopotamus might be cool - i think the last time i played as a hippo was way back on Psycho Fox.

6/10.
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Feb 2021 12:37:39 32,592 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished up Control at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Loved the lore they built, found myself reading loads of the memos and stuff I picked up. Really good progression of abilities too. Only downsides were bugs with the map constantly failing to load and cutscenes with no audio. Weird how buggy it was for how old it is.

Made me think of stuff like Annhiliation and Fringe/X Files whilst playing, which was right up my street.
  • GumboVariations 22 Feb 2021 12:39:21 185 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Superhot: mind control delete

Its a short game stretched out with few new ideas and levels. There is difficulty spike where you have to give up your cores and face invincible enemy, sometimes they spawn early and it really depends on your run.

Forgot about the utter bullshit where you have to wait for 2 and half hours (leaving the console on) it was 8 hours at launch. I read the developers comments and all pretentious bullshit from him. Its laughable he thinks the ending is deep and means something, I bet sniffs his very toxic fart, comparing it to the best in writing. At one point in development it was 24 hours you had to leave the game running

Glad it was gamepass game

5/10
    I read the dev's nonsnese on Reddit about leaving the game running and I haven't looked at it since.

Think I might have even deleted it.
  • Chug666 22 Feb 2021 12:54:26 746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @RyanDS I've just finished Odyssey and feel exactly the same about it- it was fine but for me it's not worth the 10/10's and unending praise it got on release. Plenty of deaths which I'd blame on the controls as much as my crapness, but possibly I'm just bad at platformers and generally a bitter old man...
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Feb 2021 13:33:08 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

I have no idea how anyone could say that the 3d Mario games are unimaginative, IMO they are a riot of invention and creativity.
    The ones without 3D in their titles at least.
  • Steifybobbins 22 Feb 2021 14:42:11 772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mario is without doubt still the pinnacle of platforming game design if you get down to the nuts and bolts. Nobody understands the tactile joy of pushing a button and seeing that play out on screen in the same way Nintendo does. Having said that I also love the More recent Rayman games and the little details such as the music levels and the wonderful art style. Both do some great things but Mario always nails the fundamentals better even if other games offer clever gimmicks or gameplay ideas that equal or surpass the little plumber and his friends at times.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.