Following Recently Completed Games Page 672

Next Last
  • Rhaegyr 22 Feb 2021 14:58:08 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Steifybobbins

Couldn't have said it better myself. Both excellent but Mario nails the fundamentals that no other platform game has (save maybe Sonic 2/3 and Super Meat Boy).
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Feb 2021 15:25:32 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    3D Marios (without 3D in their name) are my all time favourite games. Absolutely love them.

Yet in 2D I think the Rayman Legends is superior to all the New Super Mario Bros titles.
  • Rhaegyr 22 Feb 2021 15:37:23 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No argument there - 'New' Super Mario Bros titles are pretty poor with a weird sense of intertia/movement and really displeasing art style.

They're a far cry from Super Mario World which for my money is still the greatest 2D platformer ever created (sorry Sonic 2).
  • JamboWayOh 22 Feb 2021 15:38:05 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    No argument there - 'New' Super Mario Bros titles are pretty poor with a weird sense of intertia/movement and really displeasing art style.

They're a far cry from Super Mario World which for my money is still the greatest 2D platformer ever created (sorry Sonic 2).
    I see no lies here
  • OllyJ 22 Feb 2021 15:40:41 4,851 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nioh+ all DLC

All in all, I put 160 hours in, and just got to a point where I just enjoyed playing it, without worrying about progression if that makes sense. I actually bounced off this game initially because it wasn't Ninja Gaiden and I didn't understand the mechanics...cam eback after finishing Bloodborne and pretty much convinced it's one of the best games EVER!

10/10
  • Kay 22 Feb 2021 15:44:32 20,991 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't mind the art style of the NSMB games. The music, though... blergh.
  • uiruki 22 Feb 2021 16:37:15 5,667 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    baaap baaaaaaaap
  • GumboVariations 22 Feb 2021 18:16:35 187 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Control UE on PS5.

The cheesy but still creepy sci-fi/high strangeness was great (the Threshold Kids - WTF), had a bit of the X-Files about it. The powers were fun, the shooting was competent. I loved walking into a new area and having its name slapped in monolithic letters on the screen.

Enemies were repetitive and largely uninteresting. Some of the missions were pants (especially the last one) and half my play time was spent just trying to figure out where to go.

Didn't overstay it's welcome at least. I've one trophy to do for Platinum, but fuck that. I'll probably return and do the DLC expansions some rainy weekend.

7/10.

Edited by GumboVariations at 18:17:12 22-02-2021
  • Steifybobbins 22 Feb 2021 18:35:54 772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    3D Marios (without 3D in their name) are my all time favourite games. Absolutely love them.

Yet in 2D I think the Rayman Legends is superior to all the New Super Mario Bros titles.
    I would agree. The NSMB games lack the charm of a SMW or SMB3
  • QBX 23 Feb 2021 10:08:02 209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Playing catch-up a bit:

5. The Little Acres (GP)- 9/10

Gorgeous point and click game that takes inspiration from Irish animated cinema with some charming animations and script/voice acting. Fairly easy and not overly long at about 2 hours.

6. Day of the Tentacle (GP/PC) - 8/10

My second foray into a LucasArts game. Really enjoyed the setting and having to work across the different periods to solve the puzzles. There is just enough there to let you know what your doing but can understand how people might hit a brick wall.

7. Donut County (GP) - 7/10

Chill.

8. Q.U.B.E 2 (GwG) - 7/10

Puzzle game similar to Portal. Graphically it looks good with a decent use of colour to offset the sterile white of the rooms you'll be in. Difficulty wise it isn't that hard but can border on irritating when it comes to the physics based puzzles. The character moves at a slow walk for some reason and bizarrely there is no chapter select if you wanted to play a section again. Would also recommend playing on PC.

9. Unto the End (GP) - 1/10

A 2d action platformer with 'realistic sword physics'. This makes the Soulsbourne series look like kids games - it's punishing but not in a fun way or a way you feel like your learning. It isn't helped with the main character feeling slow and sluggish when doing anything either. Graphically it looks good with a simple art style but the devs thought the best way to show it off is by sticking you in pitch black caves for most of the game. It's only about an hour long (I had to use a guide to get me through) and I hated every second of it.

Edited by QBX at 10:08:30 23-02-2021
  • Rodimus-Prime 23 Feb 2021 19:10:49 417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I finished The Banner Saga today.

The fact that it was mostly text works really well with playing games while home working. The art is really nice too.

I'm not too fond of turn-based combat, so played on easy, but really enjoyed the roleplaying aspect with all of the various choices.

Will definitely be playing 2 and 3 in the near future.
  • Steifybobbins 23 Feb 2021 19:56:59 772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

The fact that it was mostly text works really well with playing games while home working. The art is really nice too.

I'm not too fond of turn-based combat, so played on easy, but really enjoyed the roleplaying aspect with all of the various choices.

I did the same thing so that I could enjoy the story and RPG elements. Once I had lowered the difficulty I had an amazing time with it and rinsed the series. One of my better gaming moments of the last year or two.

Creaks was a surprise hit for me too
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Feb 2021 00:40:13 16,375 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    QBX wrote:

Chill.
    Always happy to see someone else enjoying this. I played it multiple times during my paternity leave while watching the baby as my wife slept.
  • mrpon 24 Feb 2021 08:49:33 36,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    QBX wrote:

Chill.
    Always happy to see someone else enjoying this. I played it multiple times during my paternity leave while watching the baby as my wife slept.
    Bought! 2.99 currently.
  • RichDC 24 Feb 2021 11:43:17 9,027 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Witcher 3

Loved it. Completed the main quest line and the majority of the secondary/contracts I came across and it was a lot of fun. Will definitely be going back to do the DLC at some point but need a break. Dread to think how many hours I've actually put into it. :lol:
  • uiruki 24 Feb 2021 23:33:58 5,667 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    14. Natsuki Chronicle - PC - 4/5

Not only is this a really solid shooter with a great soundtrack, it's got a nice story mode to it which takes a slightly different tack to what you'd expect. Loads of weapons to buy and use, plenty of stages. It's not an all-time classic but you know what - it works at 120hz, it controls really nicely with an analogue stick: they have done everything you want to make this kind of game approachable and smooth to play. Highly recommended if you either like the genre, or like the idea of the genre.

Too expensive at the full price they wanted on Xbox One but even without discount this is something worth supporting. Also buy Eschatos because not only is it a great old-school shooter but it has an all-time great soundtrack.

Edited by uiruki at 23:39:41 24-02-2021
  • Rodimus-Prime 25 Feb 2021 11:15:24 417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

I did the same thing so that I could enjoy the story and RPG elements. Once I had lowered the difficulty I had an amazing time with it and rinsed the series. One of my better gaming moments of the last year or two.

Creaks was a surprise hit for me too
    I finished the trilogy yesterday evening, and the games just get better as they go. It's nice playing all three so close together, as you really get to appreciate all the little ways in which your decisions affect the story.

Creaks looks pretty cool too. I'll keep my eye out for it should it ever be on sale.
  • mrpon 25 Feb 2021 11:30:59 36,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Terrible detective skills Rod
  • Rodimus-Prime 25 Feb 2021 11:41:55 417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Indie sale seems to have replaced the Japan sale, so it must be quite recent. I think i last looked at the store a few days ago.

But fair dos. It's downloading now.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.