Recently Completed Games Page 681

• Fonzie 21 Apr 2021 08:14:33 3,460 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Borderlands 3

Meh. Not sure what to give it. The gunplay is good and when it really kicks off it can be a lot of chaotic fun. However I really didn't care for any of it like I did in number 2 and it dragged. I liked the varied locations though and Vaughan made me immature laugh quite a lot, shame he wasn't it much.

6 or a 7/10 probably a 6.
    Same for me with this. Couldn't wait for it to finish by the end. And why did they have to include some awful platform sections if you wanted to 100% objectives?
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Apr 2021 15:42:45 16,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picross S5

I do like Picross a lot but once again this collection was far too easy. There were fewer than 10 of the 150 puzzles that took more than 10 minutes to complete. (All assists off naturally).

Edit: Just completed the 5 Extra puzzles. Now those were very challenging. (One took me 3 hours!). So I am revising my score up a point to:

8/10

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 22:47:19 26-04-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Apr 2021 18:13:55 5,217 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rain on your parade

Nice little game via gamepass, you play cloud that wants to ruin people's day. It looks like a kids game but you you start fires and burn down barns and office on some levels. Also some good film, games and tv show references.

Its very much gamepass game, once you complete it, you can do the all objectives for all levels but seems like busy work

gamepass/10

Katana zero

Started off really liking it, if I died on a level, it was my fault. Towards the end of the game they turn the cheap bullshit up to 9 and gets frustrating as the dev(s) think cheap deaths = hard. Great soundtrack but not as good as hotline miami's

starts off a 8/10 but by the end 6/10

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 18:14:13 23-04-2021
  • Kilters 23 Apr 2021 20:38:00 650 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Detroit Become Human 7/10
    Enjoyed this as a freebie from PS+. Looks fantastic. Production levels are incredible and music is great too. Liked that if I messed up a chapter then tough shit.

The Eurogamer review is pretty spot on though. The Conor chapters are by far the best so can feel a little unbalanced. And sometimes you get the impression that despite the presentation, it's just one big QTE.

Astrobot PS5 9/10

A joy. Adorable to boot.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Apr 2021 22:55:09 10,962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FANTASIAN part one 8/10

Combat system is one of my favourite turn based RPGís in recent years and the ability to store random encounters until you are ready/willing to fight them is a great addition to the genre.

The story and characters are fine, but the writing could uze a bit of work but the music is immense.

The real star though is the diorama based levels... itís very very pretty and well worth the cost of an Apple Arcade sub for a month.

It loses a point for the too frequent and some times too tough boss battles.
  • wuntyate 25 Apr 2021 23:31:10 17,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God of War

Shit, that was pretty fucking good.
  • Rum_Monkey 25 Apr 2021 23:50:06 2,711 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    First part of that I thought "someone's getting a shunning"but yeah it's amazing. The ps5 patch makes it such a better game.
  • uiruki 26 Apr 2021 00:06:49 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bit of catchup here.

22. SaGa Frontier - PC - 4/5 (Red's route)

A really interesting game, albeit a bit scrappy. Fun battle innovations, like the monster characters, a cool hero gimmick and the combo system lets you reall cook the enemies sometimes. The story can be a bit abrupt at times but honestly I found it refreshing. Done in ten hours but seven more stories to go. I'll definitely be tackling more as the year goes on.

23. Rain on Your Parade - Xbox Series X - 3/5

Some solid Game Pass fodder. It stays around about as long as the concept lasts and it's a fun way to spend an evening. Technically a bit shaky and the humour didn't quite work for me at times, but worth a go.

24. Horizon Zero Dawn: Frozen Wilds - PS4 - 2/5

You ever pick a game up after a while and wonder why you liked it in the first place? I worked it out in the end, they clearly didn't have a solution for the shield armour you pick up at the end of the game so they just massively ramped up the damage. Combat becomes frustrating, particularly due to some inconsistent checkpointing.

Worst of all though, there's very little Lance Reddick in this, who is desperately needed to try and bring some quality to a dreadful script.

25. Zombie Army 4 - PC - 3/5

More good Game Pass fodder. It's a bit one-note but when it's a fun note it doesn't really matter. Cool finale too!
  • Tomo 26 Apr 2021 00:14:27 19,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I just started Horizon ZD tonight after it being given away free on PSN. Played upto where you become adult Aloy. So far so fine. Guess it's hard to make a tutorial interesting, but Christ am I over crouching in long grass in video games.
  • uiruki 26 Apr 2021 00:17:58 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I remember liking the base game, it was just the expansion which didn't feel like it worked mechanically. The traversal/climbing has also aged poorly, as has the crafting.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Apr 2021 03:19:35 25,729 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe it's just me, but it feels like every open world game has some kind of crafting system shoehorned in there. Some of them are well implemented, but too often it feels like it's there to justify "collect 10 ingots to upgrade your sword" busywork.

That and it takes away the thrill of finding cool new stuff.
  • uiruki 26 Apr 2021 09:02:31 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's that combined with the inadequate inventory that ended up really doing my head in. I was constantly fighting with the limit as it doesn't make clear enough what stuff is actually used for so I didn't want to sell half the things I had, which were taking up loads of spaces.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 Apr 2021 10:09:44 16,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No idea why games cannot just auto-sort things we pick up into. Sale only, crafting and Quest boxes. (Assassins Creed Odyssey might actually do this).

Then on top of that mark crafting items with a list of recipes they are included in. (Including a ? if you do not know the recipe yet).

Then another step that lets you automatically send unwanted/superseded crafting item into the sale only box.

Some games have sale boxes to speed up merchant interactions but many do not really work as you need to place things in there manually. Setting up rules to put things in there would be better.

Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii laid some of the groundwork for this 10 years ago by highlighting items that will become useful later. Not seen another game do that since.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 10:12:13 26-04-2021
  • Phattso 26 Apr 2021 10:16:35 27,101 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch The Division handles this magnificently. Junk is marked and junk, and there's a "sell all junk" option. Also really quick to compare items, and also tag them for sale.
  • Phattso 26 Apr 2021 10:17:03 27,101 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    (I'm pretty sure the Far Cry games do this also)
  • uiruki 26 Apr 2021 10:21:56 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What Horizon does is says that a bunch of items are 'for trading with merchants' without giving you a hint of what they're for or even whether you need more of them so I've got a bunch of stuff I probably don't need any more of. It wouldn't be an issue but you only get 120 items in your inventory at max, and stuff doesn't stack infinitely so having enough regs to make ammo for a decent sized encounter takes more room than it should.

The game has a bunch of stuff that they can solve for the next one though so I'm still fairly hopeful.

Edited by uiruki at 10:23:02 26-04-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 26 Apr 2021 11:13:35 16,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki I think the Ďfor trading...í message in Horizon means it has no other use. So sell all of those.

(Worth Googling to confirm first though. Donít just trust me).
  • uiruki 26 Apr 2021 11:17:05 5,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Annoyingly there are two - there's one that says 'sell for metal shards' and then there's another 'for trading' one, which is for equipment.

Edited by uiruki at 11:17:30 26-04-2021
  • Killerbee 26 Apr 2021 11:46:50 5,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5)

In short, I absolutely loved this. Highly recommended. Go play it now. Itís cheap!

Longer take:

I spent just shy of 50 hours to complete the game and all the main side quests. It was definitely time well spent and I will be going straight back to pursue that Platinum trophy.

I think what I will remember most when I look back on this game is the sense of fun it has. Thatís evident in the bright and breezy story; the optimism of the main player character, the colourful environments; the magical godly abilities; the satisfying puzzles and the enjoyable ways of traversing the map. Itís a game that is properly focussed on delivering entertainment, to the point that every chest you open feels like itís own reward - even the ďeasyĒ ones you just happen across in the wild and delivered with a humorous animation and a flurry of whatever gems or loot or upgrades youíve found.

Itís probably one of the more ďMarmiteĒ aspects of the game but I enjoyed the story and the way it was narrated in story-telling fashion by the bickering pair of Zeus and Prometheus. Not every joke hits the mark, but they do add to a general sense of fun and a game that doesnít take itself too seriously. The four main Gods you help also had distinctive personalities and it was all well acted and written.

The combat starts out fairly simply, but I found that the depth came as you unlock more abilities. I went from playing this like a typical hack and slash at the start - hits and dodges and parries - to really enjoying the whole range of stamina driven godly abilities - shield dashes; magical spears raised from the ground, calling your AI helper; whacking things with a very big hammer - by the endgame.

Puzzles were generally all very satisfying to beat - frustration was rare (mainly due to wobbly physics rather than anything else) and rewards for beating them were generally good and plentiful. I felt the game always respected your play time, and the map was well constructed, delivering something to do at every turn.

It was also clear that a lot of thought had gone into ďquality of lifeĒ matters. Being able to change character appearance and transmog for all armour and weapons seems like a little thing, but after Destinyís ludicrous system was unveiled last week, I realise itís not something to take for granted. Fast travel and climbing and gliding generally ensured traversal was pain free.

But most of all, that 50 hour play time was very much on my terms. Iím pretty sure a good 20 of those 50 hours were down to me choosing to go off side questing. There was seldom any need to grind for upgrades and aside from the more linear sections at the very start and end of the game, there was lots of freedom to play how and what I wanted.

Overall, I just really really enjoyed my time with this game and though I can see why it might not be everyoneís cup of tea, if you like a third person action adventure game, I can wholly recommend it.

9/10
  • Tomo 26 Apr 2021 14:49:30 19,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, agree re: crafting in open world games. I can't remember which game introduced crafting. For a short while it was a novel, interesting feature but now it feels a horribly outdated one which still permeates games today.

If the entire game is built around crafting, then fine, but it's shoe-horned into too many games to add a sense of faux immersion.
  • Rogueywon 26 Apr 2021 15:02:55 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tomo The Tomb Raider reboots were the first semi-open games to make me think "wow, this really didn't need crafting".
  • Tomo 26 Apr 2021 15:15:26 19,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Let's be honest, the crafting/cooking in Breath of the Wild is the worst aspect of that game too.

Edited by Tomo at 15:15:52 26-04-2021
  • Phattso 26 Apr 2021 15:21:57 27,101 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Tomo The Tomb Raider reboots were the first semi-open games to make me think "wow, this really didn't need crafting".
    But annoyingly, especially the first, the opening section where you *had* to craft to survive was SO FUCKING GOOD!

I really regret that they didn't double down on that. The rest of the game could've stayed largely the same, but making survival a real core mechanic would've been... more fun than murderising a bunch of mercy.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 Apr 2021 16:07:09 16,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought the first Red Dead Redemption had crafting as well as Far Cry 3 and Ass Creed 4? Doubt any of those was the first either.
  • dominalien 27 Apr 2021 20:11:33 10,476 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order on PS5

Dark Souls for plebs. I like. For once I wouldn't mind doing some DLC and it doesn't have any. A decent length (30ish hours perhaps?) and I still don't have enough.

8/10

Edit: lol, howlongtobeat says 30.5 hours for completionist playthrough. For once I'm not unexplainably 2x slower than everyone else.

Edited by dominalien at 20:13:15 27-04-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 28 Apr 2021 08:03:04 5,217 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Haven

Mixed views on this as its mostly good but some negative points.

Good
    Music -its really great
    Nice art style - (although the female main character has weird eyebrows - they look like white slugs and she has red eyes and her boyfriend has orange. Its bit odd)
    its quite chill, just cleaning up rust spots by gliding around and the turn based combat is simple

Bad
    The main characters dialogue- they are so annoying at times as so smug and keep repeating the same lines, they are that annoying couple everyone knows

Gets a bit samey and can be annoying where to go next - unless you find a map online

7.5/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Apr 2021 08:31:16 17,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order on PS5

Dark Souls for plebs. I like. For once I wouldn't mind doing some DLC and it doesn't have any. A decent length (30ish hours perhaps?) and I still don't have enough.

8/10

Edit: lol, howlongtobeat says 30.5 hours for completionist playthrough. For once I'm not unexplainably 2x slower than everyone else.
    I often use howlongtobeat to try and work out what Iím taking as my next main when Iím undecided and Iím almost always 1.5 - 2 times whatever time they have logged
  • Nanocrystal 28 Apr 2021 23:07:58 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble
    Thanks for the review of Haven, I've had my eye on that but haven't seen much talk about it. Playing as a happy couple looks interesting and something a bit different, and I found the trailer really appealing.
  • SolidSCB 29 Apr 2021 01:18:54 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon

I was expecting to probably like this. I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best games I've ever played. Wasn't a single minute of it I didn't enjoy, and I'll be carrying on to 100% it. Really can't say enough good things about it so I'll just give it the 10/10 and be on my way.

Have another 10/10 while I'm at it. 10/10
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Apr 2021 06:45:14 40,532 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.