Recently Completed Games Page 682

• UncleLou Moderator 29 Apr 2021 06:45:14 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon

I was expecting to probably like this. I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best games I've ever played. Wasn't a single minute of it I didn't enjoy, and I'll be carrying on to 100% it. Really can't say enough good things about it so I'll just give it the 10/10 and be on my way.

Have another 10/10 while I'm at it. 10/10
    I am giving Judgment another try right now, but I miss Ichiban, and the party. Great game. :)

Edited by UncleLou at 06:52:05 29-04-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Apr 2021 06:51:22 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Test

I broke the thread, somehow.
  • monkman76 29 Apr 2021 06:51:27 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Das Fixenburger
  • UncleLou Moderator 29 Apr 2021 06:54:21 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I am still landing somehwere 3 months ago when I click on the thread. And I broke monkman!
  • SolidSCB 29 Apr 2021 10:33:30 15,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:

I was expecting to probably like this. I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best games I've ever played. Wasn't a single minute of it I didn't enjoy, and I'll be carrying on to 100% it. Really can't say enough good things about it so I'll just give it the 10/10 and be on my way.

I am giving Judgment another try right now, but I miss Ichiban, and the party. Great game. :)
    My only other experience of the series is about 30 mins of Kiwami when I had about 5 other games on the go at the same time so I'll be righting that wrong in the coming months and getting more up to speed on the other games in the series. I'm over the moon I took a punt on this while it was on sale a few weeks back. Really finding it hard to pinpoint a game I've enjoyed more over the last few gens.
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Apr 2021 18:35:14 5,217 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Nanocrystal

its well worth a play if you have gamepass, I imagine it looks even better on 4k hdr
  • RyanDS 29 Apr 2021 19:28:37 13,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:

My only other experience of the series is about 30 mins of Kiwami when I had about 5 other games on the go at the same time so I'll be righting that wrong in the coming months and getting more up to speed on the other games in the series. I'm over the moon I took a punt on this while it was on sale a few weeks back. Really finding it hard to pinpoint a game I've enjoyed more over the last few gens.
    I did Kiwami at Christmas, genuinely became one of my favourite games ever. Then did Kiwami 2 in feb and was just as good. Picked up Yakuza 0 for a fiver odd in the own store 3 days ago and it is even better! Rocketed straight to the top of my all time favourite series, no other game has genuinely made me laugh out loud repeatedly so much. Some of the side quests like doing voiceovers in 2 I will genuinely probably be giggling to myself at in 5 years. How did I miss this series all this time?

Funny, reasonable gameplay, great story, fucking AMAZING characters. It is just amazing. And has genuine heart.

Anyway, on topic.

Sinking city on PS4. I actually quite enjoyed this, but I do like the frog ware games and accept them for what they are. Made on a budget, janky as fuck but have a lot of heart. But this got really repetitive, endings were rubbish and really needed more money and polish.

6/10
  • MrFlay 2 May 2021 08:01:20 4,655 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Resident Evil 7 - 8/10

Everything after the Baker residence is superfluous. It just degenerates into a shooting gallery with dull enemies and environments. The early part of the game is a fantastic blend of the Resident Evil formula and a more realistic horror. I really enjoyed exploring the mansion and surrounding areas. I was sceptical about the shift to a first person perspective but it really does work with the more serious tone. It's a pity Capcom couldn't have just ended the game when they ran out of ideas.
  • RedPanda87 2 May 2021 08:50:51 2,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I need to get back to Yakuza: Like a Dragon at some point. I dropped it to play Cyberpunk and then got stuck into Persona 5, but I was having a good time with it.

The dungeons that I encountered were hot trash though, which would be enough for me not to give it 10/10. Thankfully they seemed fairly small and infrequent.
  • MrZappa 2 May 2021 11:40:29 51 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MrZappa 2 May 2021 11:43:02 51 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Disco Elysium

Words fail me.

10/10
  • MasterOfSpin 2 May 2021 14:26:39 70 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Carrion - 8/10

Great concept and generally well executed. That said, I felt that the challenge didn't really ramp up until right towards the end, unless you count being lost as part of the challenge.

Really enjoyed.
  • QBX 2 May 2021 15:06:16 232 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    13. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (GP)

There is still a small community playing this (no doubt thanks to Game Pass) though I wonder how many actually hang around as within a couple of rounds it becomes apparent the balance is fucked.

Starting characters are underpowered which translates as being unable to put up any sort of fight or contribute in any meaningful way. Add bad lag and random disconnects into the mix and you have a deeply unpleasant experience.

Once things begin to unlock you'll realise either the fire/toxic varient is the best and not play as anything else. You can snipe people from afar and the splash damage/status effect will do all the work removing any skill or challenge.

The thing I can't emphasise enough though is how redundant the game manages to make you and your efforts feel until that point. As though facing game after game of obvious abusable bullshit is somehow enjoyable.

In my time PvZ has felt unplayable, broken, never fun.

0/10
  • Rogueywon 2 May 2021 15:24:05 11,648 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    R-Type Final 2 (PC) - 7/10

Beaten on the second-lowest difficulty using 8 continues.

It's R-Type. I replayed the original on the PC Engine Mini last year and it still stands up well. Final 2 is more or less the same game with prettier graphics and different levels.

The core gameplay loop is satisfying as ever - the little shuffle you do to switch the force between the front and back of your craft hasn't changed in decades. The new levels are mostly good, with a couple of exceptions.

A few frustrations - the visuals aren't always as "readable" as they should be. On the fourth level in particular, it can be hard to tell what's a background graphic and what's a foreground element you can crash into. The second boss is rubbish.

But overall, I liked it. And it has a lot of ships to unlock and a lot of replay value, so I'm not done with it.
  • uiruki 2 May 2021 20:27:48 5,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    26. Hades - PC - 5/5

The first rogue-type game I've actually completed a full run on. Combat's sharp (though sometimes it can get messy in a fun way) and you get plenty of new 'stuff' which massively reduces the frustration factor when you inevitably cop it. Voice acting's a bit variable but I really liked the amount of stuff people say, and the sound track is absolutely top class.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 May 2021 20:43:20 16,927 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bowserís Fury

Played through the entire game today. A lot of fun but the camera is a tad ropey at times and there is a bit of repetition. Bowser is also a tad annoying. Despite those grievances it is still very much worth playing.

8/10
  • Trowel 3 May 2021 11:05:32 24,370 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Talos Principle - 10/10

We've been playing this on and off over the last couple of years and must have 'finished' it 4 or 5 times. But over the last couple of weeks we took the time to nail every secret and achieve every ending, and ultimately the platinum trophy :)

The core gameplay is fantastic - even if the puzzles get a little repetitive towards the end - but for me it's the setting and atmosphere which really makes it. The story is central to everything and stays strong throughout, the graphics have aged really well, the music is everything you need when you're spending this long with it, and the constant sense of exploration is key to the mystery - there must be more Easter eggs in this than in any other game!

The Road to Gehenna DLC is also great, but seriously hardcore which detracts from some of the enjoyment. I've more or less finished it (missing a handful of the stars), but the constant difficulty means it doesn't have the same replayability.

However, where The Talos Principle will stick in my memory forever is that, by "we" I mean me and my 5 year old son, who (with a little guidance from me) is the one who completed the entire game \o/
  • JoeBlade 3 May 2021 21:50:34 6,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Trowel I need to find the courage to finish that game. I very much enjoy it in general and as a puzzler specifically but the size of it o_O

When I managed to find my way out of the first area I thought I had to be nearing the end, only to discover there are at least 3 more areas of that same size.

Definitely one of my favourite puzzlers though. Not quite up there with Portal(1/2) but not that far off either.
  • Killerbee 3 May 2021 22:47:24 5,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Got the Platinum trophy for Immortals Fenyx Rising. Clocked it in just under 60 hours I reckon.

It did get a little bit grindy to gather materials for all the upgrades and I did resort to a guide to gather up the collectibles but even with all that, there are still some vaults Iíve not done and chests Iíve not opened.

I bought the season pass a while back so will play the DLC next but I genuinely think I could just come back to this world and game time and again. Itís an incredibly generous game with all the content but very sensibly doesnít demand that you play every last bit to get through the story. Which is as it should be.

Iím hopeful that the game has done well enough to deserve a sequel.
  • Rum_Monkey 3 May 2021 23:09:04 2,711 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've just finished it tonight. It's Aldi BoTW with a charming and funny story. Does get a bit Ubi icon heavy on the map but the optional stuff is pretty decent with the puzzles.

7/10
  • Rum_Monkey 3 May 2021 23:09:47 2,711 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    And your weapons don't break so an extra half point for that.
  • DangerousDave_87 4 May 2021 09:01:34 6,972 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surely that's minus points! Weapon breaking is great. Like the gun jamming in Far Cry 2, it forces you to mix things up and "Jackie Chan' the game. Makes things more intense and keeps the combat from getting too repetitive.
  • Rum_Monkey 4 May 2021 09:56:48 2,711 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh,you're one of them.
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2021 10:17:28 25,729 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weapons jamming/breaking does change those games significantly, it does encourage you to mix things up, and (at least in FC2) does create a sense of unpredictable chaos that would be very different if you could just go through using the same weapon all the time.

And that's all intentional. It may not be to your specific taste (which is fine), but it's not really a mistake; it's a choice the designers made to encourage a certain kind of play.
  • monkman76 4 May 2021 10:30:07 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think anyone's suggesting those mechanics are there by accident!
  • Rum_Monkey 4 May 2021 10:34:34 2,711 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, it's just a shit design choice liked by weirdos.
  • Malek86 4 May 2021 10:48:23 12,002 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sid Meier's Pirates! (PC)

The 2004 remake, that is. A charming and well crafted game, and one that is not as strategy and tactics heavy as Firaxis' usual. This makes it much more accessible to people like me, who simply can't deal with Nuclear Ghandi or aliens blasting you from a distance against impossible odds.

All the good fun of a pirate's life is in here, from plundering ships to assaulting towns to courting women. And also a revenge quest, can't miss that.

Of course, there are difficulty levels, and already I felt quite a big difference going from easiest to second easiest (enough that I couldn't even defeat the main villain anymore, so that part of the game remained unfinished), though it did make some activities more rewarding to play. By nature it's a bit repetitive though, and sailing eastward remains a bother. In the end I retired after around 12 hours of buccaneering, with a pretty decent score at the end.

8/10

The Steam version is fine, as long as you disable the overlay. I would like to also check out the PSP port, if I could find it for very cheap, which apparently streamlines a couple things and makes the map more compact.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:49:53 04-05-2021
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2021 11:04:45 25,729 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I don't think anyone's suggesting those mechanics are there by accident!
    I think some think that it's bad design. I guess I was just trying to say that this is a subjective thing, rather than a result of the devs not thinking things through properly.
  • CowsMakeNoise 4 May 2021 19:07:33 170 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Far Cry 2 was a mixture of utterly genius mechanics (breaking weapons, navigating using an actual map), and totally broken systems (dialogue being a race by the actors, checkpoints respawning instantly, the collectibles glitching).

For me itís the best in the series.
  • Zippity-zap 4 May 2021 22:54:15 635 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FC2 gun deterioration mechanic barely even factors into the game for me. Itís nothing to zip into the nearest gear warehouse and just snatch a brand new gun straight off the wall, for free. One just has to remember to do it, make it part of the game play loop.

That malaria mechanic, however...ugh.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.