Recently Completed Games Page 683

• RyanDS 4 May 2021 23:07:10 13,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me it was the 12 second respawn time of the checkpoint you just spent 20 minutes clearing that killed all immersion for me. Terrie design decision that added nothing to immersion.

Malaria, jamming etc I understood at least even if I wasn't a fan.

Edited by RyanDS at 23:07:32 04-05-2021
  • Killerbee 4 May 2021 23:08:48 5,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I liked Far Cry 2. I agree itís probably the best one of the series, but I think it helped that I played it on PC and could abuse the quick save / quick load function.
  • Timmywimmywoo 4 May 2021 23:14:41 95 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still have a fear of a revving Jeep suddenly pouncing like a lion as I creep through bushes. It was a super immersive game, apart from sudden pouncing revving Jeeps.
  • Timmywimmywoo 4 May 2021 23:14:42 95 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MadCaddy13 5 May 2021 06:40:33 3,160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fix
  • Rodney 5 May 2021 06:46:49 4,973 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @CowsMakeNoise

Agree about the map thing. Strange that I donít recall any other game borrowing that idea.

Far Cry 2 was great but is hard to revisit.

Wasnít the dialogue rushed because they were running out of disc space or something?
  • Mola_Ram 5 May 2021 09:01:59 25,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    For me it was the 12 second respawn time of the checkpoint you just spent 20 minutes clearing that killed all immersion for me. Terrie design decision that added nothing to immersion.

Malaria, jamming etc I understood at least even if I wasn't a fan.
    I agree that the respawn time was too short. But I felt that it was partly the game trying to say "hey, you should probably avoid going through checkpoints if you can, unless they have something you really need". Most of them you could detour around.

Unlike later Far Crys, it's not really a map clearing game. You're meant to be a foreigner in a really dangerous place!
  • PickledShogun 5 May 2021 10:14:36 32 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Resident Evil 2 Remake.

An absolutely brilliant remake. I'll admit I was a little frustrated (and freaked out) at first at being stalked by Mr X, but once I got used to how he works it became easier to handle. When I return to a second play through at some point I know that I can get a lot more done in the police station before setting that big bastard off!

9/10
  • PazJohnMitch 6 May 2021 07:35:00 16,919 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gris

It is very pretty artistically and I think I get the premise. (Falling to a low point and then learning new skills to recover, rebuild and then progress higher than you were previously). But I simply did not find it enjoyable to play. I guess that was partially the point but then Celeste covers similar material and that was a joy to play through out. So I do not think that is an excuse.

6/10
  • RichDC 7 May 2021 11:07:19 9,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Final Fantasy X (Switch)

I never completed it on the PS2 and remember not really enjoying it but decided to replay it after seeing it cheap in a sale. I really can't work out why I remember it badly as it's great. Fun battle system, interesting characters and plot, and a world that has plenty to do.

Recommended
  • Malek86 7 May 2021 11:38:04 11,985 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @RichDC it's good fun, though it has a few difficulty spikes along the way, and the post-end game is the most boring of grinds.

I'm replaying FF6 right now, and it's aged relatively well too. I can't really stand JRPGs anymore but once in a while they are not so bad.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:38:26 07-05-2021
  • wuntyate 7 May 2021 12:58:07 16,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

Lara's an annoying prick, everything has a fucking rope wrapped around it, I'm stumbling over boxes of ancient artifacts every 2 metres, there's a grenade thrown at my feet every 10 seconds and everything keeps blowing up and falling apart as I'm trying to make the annoying twat climb up it.

However it was quite good fun overall. When everything slowed down it was quite atmospheric and the puzzles in the main game and the optional tombs were actually very good.

So much of it was horseshit but the fact there was a lot of very good game in there made it worth playing.
  • RichDC 7 May 2021 13:32:59 9,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Malek86 Yeah, I got most of the celestials, downed Ultima, Omega and one of the dark aeons before getting bored and finishing it off. Doing more seemed like it would get tedious.
  • SnackPlissken 7 May 2021 14:00:11 3,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have proper nostalgic feels over FFX. I remember getting it around the summer time and hammering it, but never got passed a boss so shelved it. Went back when it was re-released on PS4 and finally beat it. I loved it.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 14:01:43 07-05-2021
  • MasterOfSpin 7 May 2021 14:14:22 70 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Sonic Mania - Thought it was pretty good, but if I'm honest wish they had innovated a little more. Was a great trip down memory lane, but didn't feel it really did enough to distinguish itself from the originals - felt more like a remix (which is perhaps what it was aiming for).

7/10
  • Tomo 8 May 2021 08:56:28 19,305 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Gris

It is very pretty artistically and I think I get the premise. (Falling to a low point and then learning new skills to recover, rebuild and then progress higher than you were previously). But I simply did not find it enjoyable to play. I guess that was partially the point but then Celeste covers similar material and that was a joy to play through out. So I do not think that is an excuse.

6/10
    Same. Was very disappointed with quite how dull the gameplay is. Slow, rudimentary platforming with an interesting premise on top.
  • Nanocrystal 8 May 2021 10:36:06 2,404 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just beat FFVII Remake on hard. Was proper challenging too - the combat system really comes into its own on this setting. Amazing game. Now to mop up the final few trophies before ME Legendary Edition arrives next week.
  • RobTheRobber 8 May 2021 19:25:31 3 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 days ago
    edit: whoops, wrong thread

Edited by RobTheRobber at 20:25:48 08-05-2021
  • PierrePressure 9 May 2021 12:01:53 1,400 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't mind FFX but when they got rid of the world map it proper wound me up at the time. That illusion of freedom was a big part of why I enjoyed FF games.
  • Darth_Flibble 9 May 2021 12:24:26 5,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I wanted to like FFX and X2 but it needed the quality of life improvements (like the ps1 ports got) and few rebalances to the game.
  • RyanDS 9 May 2021 14:14:14 13,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Resi 8

Loved it. Genuinely creepy, awesome enemies, just good fun all around. Was definitely front loaded though with the first half being fucking amazing and the second just really good.
  • DangerousDave_87 9 May 2021 14:58:00 6,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whoops! I completely missed all those responses to Far Cry 2. Obviously I can see how those mechanics could annoy certain players, but it's part of what made that game so unique at the time and I love a game in which I dont feel invincible. Where every battle is starts with you as the underdog, trying to figure out a plan of attack and then adapting as it all falls apart.

The respawning checkpoints dictated your journeys and the beeping thing in the car that lead you to diamonds; It made the whole game feel organic. Like you were being lead by your own curiosity, but at the mercy of the game world and its contraptions.

Bare in mind I've only played 1, 2 and 4, but 4 was bloody awful coming off the back of 2. It took the template of Far Cry 2, but it felt like it was built by robots. Painfully dull, rigid and repetitive. More like Far Cry 4/10.

Also, the more I revisit Far Cry 2, the more obvious it is that it was, by far, Breath of the Wild's biggest influence. Even down to the so-called 'emergent gameplay'. The weapon degradation, respawning enemy camps, bleeping of nearby rewards, spreading of fire and destructive environments, the minimal map icons, non-linear narrative, etc...

I wouldn't say it's perfect, but I would find it difficult to believe it has been bettered. I should probably give 5 a go, sometime. 4 was just so bad I couldn't stomach another one. In fact, I've not played a single open-world Ubisoft game since then.
  • spookyxelectric 10 May 2021 01:13:38 408 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Completed Gears 4. What a ride! Time to give NieR Replicant a go before diving into Gears 5.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 May 2021 06:46:24 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @spookyxelectric
    Glad you enjoyed, Gears 4 is probably the weakest campaign, so the fact you enjoyed so much is great for you,as 5 is a massive improvement .👍

As for me, completed RE Village yesterday, absolutely brilliant.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 May 2021 06:51:04 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87

Morning mate.
    Why have you not played 3 ? or for that matter Primal, Blood Dragon. You have missed out on 3 of the best FC games. Primal being a fav of mine. I also enjoyed 2. Found 4 to be ok and 5 was probably the weakest of the series for me.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 May 2021 10:40:56 6,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Its shameful, but I missed out on 3 due to financial reasons. I didn't buy many, if any games, at the time. Then heard 4 was 'similar' so got that instead. /o\ Primal put me off because of the similar map layout to 4, and my exhausted feelings towards that game. 5 seemed appealing, but I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm for either that or its spin off, having watched gameplay videos and reviews.

It'll likely be one of those things I try if it ever appears on Gamepass or PS Plus, but yeah. I rate 4 that badly. Probably in part because I persevered with it for far longer than I should have. It was also around the same time that Unity came out and that was another terrible Ubisoft game, so that probably played a big part in my decision, too.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 10:42:38 10-05-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 10 May 2021 10:49:36 16,919 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    To me 4 seemed disappointing after 3. However there are bound to be parts of 4 and 5 that you will miss if you tried to play 3 having played them.

I didnít think much of Primal. It was ok. Havenít played Blood Dragon or 5. Will probably play 6.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 10:54:48 10-05-2021
  • DUFFMAN5 10 May 2021 11:05:21 26,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87
    I love Unity, perhaps you should try it again? The map and timeline are one of the AC highlights for me. 👍
  • DangerousDave_87 10 May 2021 14:25:46 6,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm alright passing on unity. I think its primarily the missions in those games that are the low point. Black Flag was pretty poor on that front too, so I'm completely done with that series. Not even Valhalla is doing anything for me (I'm watching my girlfriend play through it at the moment).

I think I'll try Far Cry 6 and see how I get on with that. I cant say I'm hyped, but that'll probably work in my favour. I've not really played a shooter outside of Splatoon in years, so it might feel fresh again.
  • wuntyate 10 May 2021 14:39:07 16,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved Unity. Took me 3 attempts to finish Black Flag but I gobbled up Unity. Revolutionary Paris really appealled to me.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.