Following Rick and Morty Page 11

• Rivuzu 2 Oct 2017 10:42:01 18,179 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Citadel episode should have been Episode 10.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2017 10:44:56 20,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eh, I thought it was a decent season ender. Not the best episode, but I wouldn't call it disappointing. Keith David alone bumps it up a few notches for me.
  • Skirlasvoud 2 Oct 2017 15:02:07 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, have to agree that President Obama was cool in this.

"He drones people to deal with his own insecurity."

:lol:

Also:

"Do you have to be autistic to play this game?"

"Why do you say that grandpa Rick?"

"Because I'm starting to like it."

Not enough for me to draw conclusions, but thanks Rick. Trope subverted into a more positive light.

Still somewhat sore over the tepid finale though...

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 15:02:31 02-10-2017
  • Blurp 2 Oct 2017 21:29:01 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh yeah, they've set that up. It would be really odd if it turned out it was the real Beth after all.
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Oct 2017 22:28:48 5,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    The divorce was the clear season arc, so this makes sense as final episode.

It should also mean Season 4 can begin without all the "Beth and Jerry should split" plot threads infused into season 1 and 2. The family dynamic works well with everyone around.
    Spoilers...
  • Skirlasvoud 2 Oct 2017 22:47:29 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    Also, obvs in some universes Beth would opt to leave, so they will get visited by evil / adventure Beths in S4 I reckon.
    Still think that OUR universe Beth opted to leave too.

We're still dealing with a Clone in the show. Rick is simply playing along to fulfil his promise to Beth. Nobody is supposed to know she fled from her family.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Oct 2017 09:00:13 6,323 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wild fan theory that season 3 is not finished yet and is set for a Christmas episode

http://www.dorkly.com/post/85274/this-rick-and-morty-fan-theory-suggests-season-3-isnt-over-yet
  • Deleted user 4 October 2017 10:30:08
    Weird end to the season. Coming at the end of a run of episodes where at least half were unassailable classics IMO, it was a bit underwhelming, but I still laughed my head off at most of it. And I'm oddly happy that they've hit the reset button and can go back to more standalone stories, but have seeded elements like Evil Morty and Phoenix Person which they can use if they want to kick it up a notch or two.

10/10 season for me. Glad they didn't end on a cliffhanger.
  • Skirlasvoud 4 Oct 2017 14:36:01 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Wild fan theory that season 3 is not finished yet and is set for a Christmas episode

http://www.dorkly.com/post/85274/this-rick-and-morty-fan-theory-suggests-season-3-isnt-over-yet
    Awesome! Thanks for the link.

Man that Santa Claus reference completely flew over my head. I'll try my best not to anticipate it, but I could go for an additional 4 episodes during Christmas.
  • OnlyJoeKing 4 Oct 2017 23:56:07 945 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    S3 has been a massive disappointment for me. And the other half too, she loved S1 & 2 but gave up halfway through this time.

I don't think it's exactly awful now, but the magic has gone. Glad some people are getting something from it but I'm just not seeing it.

Trying to be a bit too clever, perhaps.
  • Skirlasvoud 5 Oct 2017 01:45:55 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The show has always been clever and always had the intent. It's not just trying either. Ever since the cronenberg episode episode, the series has been plotting towards this point.

I'm always a bit disappointed when I hear people discussing the butt jokes and the fight scenes in pickle rick as the best things about the show. Yes it's a bonus I guess that this manages to appeal to the frat boys, but the shows intelligence and reflections on existentialism and the human condition have always been at the heart of it.

I've been aching for a TV show with this much genuine cleverness. This fits right in with and even outdoes South Park and Steven Universe. I mean, Family Guy is still on if people want the opposite.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Oct 2017 04:23:23 20,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It has been a lot more self-critical and self-referential this season. Even Pickle Rick had a strong meta-commentary about segments of the show's fan base (witness also the internet threads about how the show has been tainted this season by bringing more female writers on board).

I guess the meta stuff might not be to everyone's tastes. But really it's to be expected when one of the creators was behind Community.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 02:20:20 08-10-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Oct 2017 02:02:26 10,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Probably the most uneven series with the best episodes being all time classics and the worst among the most forgettable from any season BUT those highs and the meta really elevate this season

Plus even the "bad" would be some of the best stuff if it were on half the shows this could be compared too
  • Deleted user 9 October 2017 11:44:10
    We didn't get the Szechuan sauce. :(
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2017 11:53:53 20,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I heard there were riots from R&M fans at McDonalds when they sold out of the stuff. I really don't like elements of the fanbase of this show.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Oct 2017 11:56:16 10,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is there a worse case of nerd/fan entitlement than rioting and abusing minimum staff over some greasy sauce?
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2017 11:57:56 20,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not enough to turn me off the show or anything, but yeah... word is that a good proportion of R&M fans are pretty fucking toxic.
  • Rivuzu 9 Oct 2017 12:09:43 18,179 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good proportion of any fanbase are toxic.

Rick and Morty fans just have a higher IQ do they can understand the science, apparently. Nerds.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Oct 2017 12:44:48 10,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does being an avid Reddit user make you have a higher iq?
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2017 12:51:21 7,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe it actually drops your iq
  • SiroccoJetProp 9 Oct 2017 12:56:54 280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love Rick and Morty and think it's the best animated show around. But it isn't really as clever as people like to make out. I

Edited by SiroccoJetProp at 12:57:05 09-10-2017
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 9 Oct 2017 12:59:27 47,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 9 Oct 2017 13:02:42 47,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also, I really enjoyed S3, and it's nowhere near as smart as those fans would like it make out. It's a sci-fi comedy not The Principles Of Quantum Mechanics.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2017 13:25:36
    It's the Big Bang Theory effect. I've heard that show described as clever (by an actual Cambridge Uni mathematician no less) because it's about physicists when it's dumb as bricks.

R&M is still cleverer than most shows on TV though. The philosophical and psychological implications it raises certainly give you a lot to chew on.

Edited by GarlVinland at 13:26:47 09-10-2017
  • chopsen 9 Oct 2017 13:32:12 20,512 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Season 1 and 2 was quite clever in taking tired but still interesting sci fi ideas and doing something new with them. Often in a very casual throwaway style. Things that say Futurama would use as the basis of an entire episode would be used as a single side gag in R&M.

The other thing it does which *is* quite clever is the way that it deals with the ethical questions arising from sci fi cliches. Rick being totally amoral means you don't get the po-faced typical Star Trek issue where the solution has to be virtuous. Move to a new parallel universe and bury your equivalents out in the garden? Yeah, that'd work. Moving on...

Does it teach you science? Of course it fucking doesn't.

Edited by chopsen at 13:32:49 09-10-2017
  • drhickman1983 9 Oct 2017 13:34:54 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rick and Morty really isn't that clever. At least not clever in the sense of science, it's cleverly written and has interesting ideas, in terms of humor but it's hardly a realistic exploration of science and the scientific process. Not exactly Cosmos, is it?

A fair proportion of it's fanbase are idiots, though, and their recent actions have actually made me embarrassed to say I like the show.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2017 13:37:04 14,150 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe it actually drops your iq
    If that's the case then Letsgo must be a lifetime member.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.