Following Rick and Morty Page 12

• drhickman1983 9 Oct 2017 13:43:13 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Credit where it's due, I don't think Letsgo has ever had a hissyfit that a fastfood restaurant didn't have some crappy sauce.

(and yeah,it was shit. Most of the people "protesting" probably weren't out of nappies when it was available).
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Oct 2017 13:44:29 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2017 13:48:44 14,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Credit where it's due, I don't think Letsgo has ever had a hissyfit that a fastfood restaurant didn't have some crappy sauce.

(and yeah,it was shit. Most of the people "protesting" probably weren't out of nappies when it was available).
    Credit where it's due, I doubt he could even pronounce Szechuan.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Oct 2017 13:56:01 10,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Rick and Morty really isn't that clever. At least not clever in the sense of science, it's cleverly written and has interesting ideas, in terms of humor but it's hardly a realistic exploration of science and the scientific process. Not exactly Cosmos, is it?

A fair proportion of it's fanbase are idiots, though, and their recent actions have actually made me embarrassed to say I like the show.
    Are you me?

If we're talking smart in terms of actual science stuff Futurama used to have a lot of maths jokes in it but it's hardly what made it such a great show in its prime.
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Oct 2017 14:00:32 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Science isn't what makes the show clever. If you think it's about science, then you haven't been watching.

The show is about Existentialism, Nihilism and Absurdist philosophy and reflection in the vein of Neitsche and Lovecraft.

It's about Rick and Morty dealing with the fact there's so many versions of themselves that their own lives seem meaningless.
    It's about being able to avoid the consequences of moral ambiguity and responsibility by using the power of intelligence to overcome all obstacles.
    It's about that intelligence then becoming a sickness as having no limits bores and depresses Rick into being suicidal.
    It's about Rick ignoring that he has a problem by creating ever bigger and bigger problems for himself to overcome and prove his own worth in a vicious spiral.

It's about our human desire to observe the world us in a specific way, whether freedom is an illusion, choice matters and whether we're happy to be limited into the lives that we have.

Jezus... people actually thought this show was about accurate science? REALLY?

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 14:18:25 09-10-2017
  • Rivuzu 9 Oct 2017 14:18:53 18,179 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Before we go full blown Reddit and starting REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing for Szechuan Sauce, I don't think anyone would argue that this is a show about science. The Scifi wrapper is a vehicle, but the content is always about the relationships between the characters. Either their own perception of things, how other people see them, or the consequences of the things they do.

Though honestly I just want a canonical series all about Evil Morty. Follow that fucker through, I wanna see more of his character and what made him evil - plus, how he overcame his Rick and turned him into a meat puppet.
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Oct 2017 14:24:07 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup. The character development is also awesome. I really think that our Morty is on a fast track to becoming "Evil" Morty, or Rick.

Also think the Reddit fans should watch the show more to realize how arbitrary the Szechuan sauce actually is. :lol:
    Rick would swat them over the back of the head. They make Jerry seem composed and with a hold over his life.
  • Rivuzu 9 Oct 2017 14:26:12 18,179 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looooooooserrrrrrrrr~

And you might be right, if it wasn't confirmed he's 100% from a different universe from C-137 (I rewatched the first appearance of him last night!). However, when they describe the levels of evil of the Ricks, the bad guy in that episode was the absolute worst and the C-137 Rick was... two Ricks away. That's all. So.

Could be onto something close!
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2017 00:06:09 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Good proportion of any fanbase are toxic.

Rick and Morty fans just have a higher IQ do they can understand the science, apparently. Nerds.
    I think some of them have really taken Rick's "smart people are assholes" philosophy to heart. And then turned it around the other way, so: "If I'm an asshole to McDonald's employees over a packet of dipping sauce, well, that must mean that I'm smart!" (apparently understanding reverse causality or logic isn't necessary for intelligence)

And yeah, it's not the first show to have promoted (or have one of its characters promote) the "smart people are cunts" theory. But it's probably the best current example.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Oct 2017 00:12:36 10,783 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder how many no sauce bros have now been radicalised into being borderline neo-nazis like the gamergate bridage were. I assume they're drawn from a very similar demographic.
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder how many no sauce bros have now been radicalised into being borderline neo-nazis like the gamergate bridage were. I assume they're drawn from a very similar demographic.
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2017 00:18:31 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It would not surprise me if there was some overlap.
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Oct 2017 08:10:54 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i imagine the venn diagram between 'sauce bros' amd gamergaters' is pretty integrated.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2017 11:18:44
    This is awesome alight, I'm devouring them on netflix, but does anyone find them as deeply disturbing as me?
  • ZuluHero 9 Dec 2017 11:25:33 7,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nope just you ;)
  • Deleted user 13 December 2017 06:58:50
    Just watched them all out of order. Christ they are awesome. The sense of comic existential horror has never been done better anywhere that I can think of.

• magicpanda 13 Dec 2017 07:50:58 14,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    Science isn't what makes the show clever. If you think it's about science, then you haven't been watching.

The show is about Existentialism, Nihilism and Absurdist philosophy and reflection in the vein of Neitsche and Lovecraft.

It's about Rick and Morty dealing with the fact there's so many versions of themselves that their own lives seem meaningless.
    It's about being able to avoid the consequences of moral ambiguity and responsibility by using the power of intelligence to overcome all obstacles.
    It's about that intelligence then becoming a sickness as having no limits bores and depresses Rick into being suicidal.
    It's about Rick ignoring that he has a problem by creating ever bigger and bigger problems for himself to overcome and prove his own worth in a vicious spiral.

It's about our human desire to observe the world us in a specific way, whether freedom is an illusion, choice matters and whether we're happy to be limited into the lives that we have.

Jezus... people actually thought this show was about accurate science? REALLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDHynfl1E
    Is this another copypasta meme?
  • neilka 13 Dec 2017 08:12:11 22,592 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think it's an unintentional near-replica.
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/to-be-fair-you-have-to-have-a-very-high-iq-to-understand-rick-and-morty
  • Tonka 13 Dec 2017 10:06:39 29,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's about Rick and Morty going on adventures in a multi dimensional universe.
    It's about overcoming a new exciting obstacle in every episode.
    It jumped the shark in EP1 and has been forced to raise the stakes ever since.
    It's caught in a narrative vicious spiral where the writers have to come up with more and more absurd stuff. (just like the Simpsons, American Dad, what have you)

Unlike The Simpsons it uses dark humor that some kids mistake for intelligence.
  • Tonka 13 Dec 2017 10:07:32 29,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not saying it isn't funny. I love that scene where Rick is slapped in the face by giant alien balls.
  • Load_2.0 13 Dec 2017 10:23:19 29,625 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not sure you can "jump the shark" in the first episode.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Dec 2017 10:28:12 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Clearly Tonka doesn't have a high enough IQ.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2017 10:33:28
    True in some ways I suppose, but the absurdity is often backed by internal logic in the narrative, not just for cheap unfunny laughs. It's not lazy/untalented writing like in other shows such as the Simpsons.
  • Skirlasvoud 14 Dec 2017 23:43:36 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Is this another copypasta meme?
    Nope! As neilka said, unintentional near-replica.

Never claimed you needed to be smart to follow the show though. I'm the guy who can't keep an actor and their character on the big-screen apart and I seem to follow it just fine. :lol:

I just appreciate the show being clever and do acknowledge it. If I ever wed my personal identity with it though, make assumption about my own intelligence by watching it, or climb on top of the counter of a fast food restaurant screaming "Pickle Rick!", please feel free to violently sweep my right leg out from under me so that I snap my neck on the corner and bleed out on the grease stained floor. Dying in a McDonalds is probably what I deserve.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 23:47:12 14-12-2017
  • Skirlasvoud 14 Dec 2017 23:48:45 4,039 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as people keep putting out excellent musical remixes of the show, I think I'll be fine until next season.

• smoothpete 16 Mar 2018 16:24:53 35,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYsx1QWF9A

Rick and Morty x Run The Jewels: Oh Mama
  • Psychotext 17 Mar 2018 12:14:43 65,339 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Noice.
  • neilka 6 Apr 2018 20:36:33 22,592 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This happened on April Fool's Day

• Lukus 6 Apr 2018 20:43:35 21,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This freaked me out too much when I watched it. I couldn't make it to the end!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.