Following Let's make games! Page 2

• Rusty_M 21 Feb 2015 20:03:14 7,039 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, someone makes a post on the front page and you expect us all to stop, collaborate and listen?

Sounds good.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 21 Feb 2015 20:16:15 47,497 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've changed it to floats, didn't help.

I'll ask on Reddit or something tomorrow. It's been a long day and I need a break :)
  • Deleted user 21 February 2015 20:50:39
    I've used a bit of Phaser in JavaScript. Am currently making a game. EG interviewed the chap behind lessmilk and there are a couple of tutorials on there. Also on the main website there are a lot of links. Even better with it being in JavaScript you can view the code.

A reasonable place to start. Also I'd recommend HTML 5 games for dummies. It comes with a basic game engine, but the main benefit is it gives a good start into writing games.
  • ruckusroberts 21 Feb 2015 21:13:22 2 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JoelStinty True, true. I can barely HTML so I don't know why I'm even thinking about publishing! I salute you.
  • Carlo 21 Feb 2015 21:26:32 20,587 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If only there was something as easy to program as STOS/AMOS :(
  • wrinkly 21 Feb 2015 21:29:18 3,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're all so good and knowledgeable, why don't you combine together and make one good game instead of a pile of shitty ones?

/just asking like.
  • Carlo 21 Feb 2015 21:30:02 20,587 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fuck it, lets have a look at KODU and see what I can conjure up.

(Or was it small basic?)

Edited by Carlo at 21:31:44 21-02-2015
  • Deleted user 21 February 2015 21:33:00
    wrinkly wrote:
    You're all so good and knowledgeable, why don't you combine together and make one good game instead of a pile of shitty ones?

/just asking like.
    A camel is a horse designed by committee and all that. Also for a project like that having everyone in the same place does make things easy.

That said putting something incomplete up and getting feed back and suggestions might be a good start.
  • pyper777 21 Feb 2015 21:58:56 224 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Other useful links that may help.

A handy tool for editing sprite animation is Aesprite. http://www.aseprite.org

This site shows how to create sprites faster, rather than pixel by pixel.
    http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial

Oh and this tool for creating levels easily, as Game Maker's room editor is horrid.
    http://www.mapeditor.org/
  • wrinkly 21 Feb 2015 22:23:23 3,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    wrinkly wrote:

/just asking like.
    A camel is a horse designed by committee and all that. Also for a project like that having everyone in the same place does make things easy.

That said putting something incomplete up and getting feed back and suggestions might be a good start.
    At least a camel has four legs and can run, unlike some games (I understand)
  • spamdangled 21 Feb 2015 22:27:57 31,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wrinkly wrote:

/just asking like.
    Isnt that basically how #IDARB started?
  • Deleted user 22 February 2015 09:01:34
    Strikes me that linux could be a good environment for getting a lot of free tools for graphics, music etc. I have an old laptop that would be ideal for running alongside a main coding machine.

Some links:

indie games and essential resources for game developers

Look specifically at this page for a list of game making engines etc:

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-game-making-tools

edit:

also:

http://www.indiedb.com/engines

Edited by Mr-Zoo at 09:04:05 22-02-2015
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 10:46:30 47,497 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So my little bug is caused by the floats. Basically it's translating the phy_speed_x command into a number of pixels to move each step. Because I'm not using whole numbers that number of pixels can also have a float. But since it can't move in fractions of a pixel it rounds it.

So what I *think* I need to do is abandon the use of phy_speed_x and start dealing directly in distance using pixels. I'll need to write some code to figure out the difference in pixels between the current step and the previous step and round it down to the nearest whole number so it's consistent.

Phew. That might be difficult at my level. But reading through the manual I know some of the commands that will help:

phy_position_x;
    phy_position_xprevious;
    floor();
  • sport 22 Feb 2015 11:06:01 15,182 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    I've used a bit of Phaser in JavaScript. Am currently making a game. EG interviewed the chap behind lessmilk and there are a couple of tutorials on there. Also on the main website there are a lot of links. Even better with it being in JavaScript you can view the code.

A reasonable place to start. Also I'd recommend HTML 5 games for dummies. It comes with a basic game engine, but the main benefit is it gives a good start into writing games.
    I made this last year with Phaser (use Chrome if you can - also, each level has a little treasure to steal - they can be a little hard to see initially):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/196991698/hunter/rescue.html

Feel free to view the source code - it's just javascript.

While I think Gamemaker is a great tool to make games, especially for a beginner, I don't like the idea of using their gml scripting language. If you go the Unity route for instance, at least the C# or javascript skills you pick up there can be used in other programming areas if you wish.

But still, at least GM provides an easy avenue into game dev. Just try learn to finish projects - a skill I haven't acquired yet ;-P

EDIT: @ruckusroberts - just so you know Unity Free comes a few limitations that will only really become evident if you're making a really complex, "close-to-AAA" game. There is no watermark, just a Unity splash screen when you load the game. You can freely publish a game without forking out for Unity Pro ($1500).

Also, in case some people aren't aware, Unity now has a whole range of 2D tools and settings, it's not just for making 3D games.

Edited by sport at 11:11:27 22-02-2015
  • FWB 22 Feb 2015 11:07:10 56,179 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Would really like to get into something like this with some people. Used to create graphic mods when I was younger and was really rewarding seeing them getting used. Problem is I know sod all about programming.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 11:09:43 47,497 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I know sod all about programming. Got Windows? Check out GM:S and see what you can make with the drag and drop system and then perhaps start dipping in to the code side of the program from there.
  • FWB 22 Feb 2015 11:12:21 56,179 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Shall have a gander. Had the idea of making a game where you play as a migrant/refugee trying to get into the UK.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 11:15:00 47,497 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That sounds like it could be in depth! The number one piece of advice I got at the beginning - start small and simple. Grand plans are bound to bite you in the bum :D
  • sport 22 Feb 2015 11:18:04 15,182 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you guys like drag and drop visual coding, there's also an asset on the Unity asset store called Playmaker, check out their youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HutongGamesLLC

Not free I'm afraid but only $45.
  • FWB 22 Feb 2015 11:19:06 56,179 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well, yeah, in an ideal world it'd have a lot of depth, but thought I'd try something very simple to begin with.
  • Deleted user 22 February 2015 11:25:05
    Playmaker is great, I can use it and I can barely code a simple html website.
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 11:30:58 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I made this using Unity by following a tutorial then ripping the sprites and sounds out of Galaga, Space Invaders and Asteroids.

I then learnt how to port it to IOS got an apple developer license and worked out how to swap the controls for touchscreen and even insert adverts to make it generate money.

Controls: WASD and left mouse or Gamepad.

try it here pc/mac in browser no download.

https://db.tt/2O0U8HRF

Edited by mingster at 11:31:22 22-02-2015
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 11:34:05 47,497 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mingster wrote:
    insert adverts to make it generate money.
    And has it?

I like how the Galaga ship tilts left and right by the way :)
  • sport 22 Feb 2015 11:44:21 15,182 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    mingster wrote:
    And has it?

hmmm...My guess, it's a 3D quad/plane with a sprite. Left and right simply rotates quad slightly on the z axis (or y-axis depending on how you have your camera setup).

edit: great effect too - it's always those little details that add so much.

Edited by sport at 11:45:34 22-02-2015
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 11:45:18 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    mingster wrote:
    And has it?

Lol no i havent uploaded it to the appstore. It just links into iads and creates a radomnly changing ad banner at the top of the menu screen. I think you get 0.01 cents per click.

cheers Tom i like that too.
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 11:46:09 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    sport wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    mingster wrote:
    And has it?

hmmm...My guess, it's a 3D quad/plane with a sprite. Left and right simply rotates quad slightly on the z axis (or y-axis depending on how you have your camera setup).

edit: great effect too - it's always those little details that add so much.
    yup thats exactly how it works.
  • neilka 22 Feb 2015 11:55:23 22,656 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gremmoo wrote:
    I'm making a game based on Frasier.
    PRESS X TO TOSS SALAD
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 12:00:20 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For sprites i find this a great resource. Especially all the old SNES sprites.
    www.spriters-resource.com/

As to the legality of using them in a commercial game probably not a good idea unless you change them a lot first.

But this site is great for placeholders and mock-up designs. WIll save you loads of time.
    Also handy for learning how to create animations and sprite sheets.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.