Following Let's make games! Page 3

• twelveways 22 Feb 2015 13:53:47 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gamemaker is great, I have been using it for years but am yet to complete a project :(
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 14:50:51 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've solved my problem. Or at least I think I have from my testing anyway.

In the end the problem was how I was spawning the objects. I was using choose() to pick the next piece and then spawning it with this code:

if nextpiece = "straight"
    {
    var bot;
    bot = instance_create(room_width + 160, botheight, obj_straight_bot);
    instance_create(bot.x, bot.y - (bot.sprite_height) - gap, obj_straight_top);
    curpiece = bot;
    nextpiece = "blank";
    }
    I changed the instance_create line to:

bot = instance_create((curpiece.x + curpiece.sprite_width / 2) + 160, botheight, obj_straight_bot);

(160 is half the width of the straight sprite by the way). Boom, no more gap no matter the speed it seems!

Like I said last night, I was exhausted and couldn't think straight. Friends don't let friends program tired :)

Edited by MrTomFTW at 14:51:19 22-02-2015
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 20:04:36 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My weekend work is done. Been going at this on and off all today.

Things that have been changed since I last showed the game on here.

Health is shown at the bottom of the screen.
    1 second of invincibility when you take a hit.
    You are no longer able to fly above/below the tunnel at the beginning :)
    Bug fixed - the blocks don't gradually separate when the speed increases.
    "Buildings" and "clouds" in the foreground at the top and bottom of the playarea.

Try it for yourself if you like. I'll have to think of a point to the game some time!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58364081/Hyperdrive.exe
  • Deleted user 22 February 2015 21:16:09
    Works nicely.

I must finish my game...
  • FWB 22 Feb 2015 21:24:49 56,179 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I know it's simplistic, but how did you plan it all? Or did you just make it up as you went along?
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 21:29:09 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thats cool.
    Nice and smooth.
    Rob a vic viper gradius ship sprite from
    www.spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/gradius/sheet/60712/
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 21:32:40 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    how does the procedual generation work?
  • mingster 22 Feb 2015 21:35:08 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It reminds me of scramble, vanguard and gradius.
    Get some enemies in there.
    A few power-ups.
    will be great.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 22 Feb 2015 22:19:23 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @mingster A bit like this? :)

I didn't rob the sprite, as it was too big (the yellow box is a mere 32x18). But I did use it as inspiration. That sprite was drawn freehand, 40x38. I'll have to make up/down animations when I get the time too.

If you want to know how it works I'm happy to share the code, if it'd help?

@FWB I had the spaceship level from Turrican II in mind. Although I didn't want it as a shooter really. I was thinking of a play on the endless runner. An endless "flyer".

• MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 Feb 2015 09:34:16 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    From Reddit:

Big spreadsheet full of game resources

From brainstorming, through design, coding, 2D, 3D, story, art, sound, UI, project management, screen capture, all the way to the business side of things. Searching through all that should keep me busy!
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 09:39:01
    Despite being able to publish for iOS, it appears us Macsturbators will not be creating any Flappy Birds clones with this :(

I had one, only instead of birds you have to wank a dick to keep it turgid (and flying), but careful! Too much wanking would cause the dick to ejaculate, and then no amount of wanking will keep it in the air.

Maybe it's better it stays a Wii U exclusive. Will make the dick sprite much smaller and remove the pubes, of course.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 Feb 2015 09:41:31 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd make that. Seriously, get the art done and I'll make it :D
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 09:44:23
    You can't draw a cock? Here's the map for the first level:

-~^^~-_
    -^*'' : : '' : : : : *-
    ..-* : : :--/ : : : : : : : '\
    ./ : : -* . .| : : : : : : : : '|
    .../ : -* . . . | : : : : : : : : |
    ...\-* . . . . .| : : : : : : : :'|
    .../ . . . . . . '| : : : : : : : : |
    ..../ . . . . . . . .'\ : : : : : : : |
    ../ . . . . . . . . . .\ : : : : : : : |
    ./ . . . . . . . . . . . '\ : : : : : /
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . --'
    .'/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ' |
    / . . . . . . . ./ . . . . . . .|
    ../ . . . . . . . .'/ . . . . . . .' |
    ./ . . . . . . . . / . . . . . . .'|
    '/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'|
    '| . . . . . \ . . . . . . . . . .|
    '| . . . . . . \_^- . . . . .'|
    '| . . . . . . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ . |
    | .\ . . . . . . . . . \ .'' / . '|
    | . . . . . . . . . . / .'/ . . .|
    | . . . . . . .| . . / ./ ./ . .|
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 Feb 2015 09:46:28 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I *can* draw a cock.
    I'm *not going to* draw a cock.

A subtle, but important difference. Seriously though, it's one thing to crudely draw a dick and then go "hurr hurr hurr", and it's another to then waste even more time animating it :)
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 09:50:24
    Well, frankly, if you don't want to become a multi millionaire cock animator, I'll take my genre-defining Best of Next Gen game concept elsewhere
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 Feb 2015 09:52:12 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aw PES, don't be like that. We could have had a beautiful partnership together.

Also, we could have made a game.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 09:53:06
    @MrTomFTW

How about adding collectables to your spaceship endless runner. Go faster dots, dots that kill you (thus to be avoided), dots that slow you down (thus dying if you fall off the edge of the screen). Maybe you need to continuously collect dots to keep yourself fuelled up. Dots that reverse the controls. Loads of possibilities.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 Feb 2015 09:56:29 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Collectibles are definitely on the "I want to do this, how the fuck do I do this?" list :)

Shield powerup will be in I'm sure. Thinking about how to do an autopilot powerup. Other suggestions are very welcome.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 10:05:01
    I would imagine that collectibles should be some kind of sprite or object that you check for collusions with. Then run the appropriate code depending on the type. Easy to say, probably harder to do.

I started writing a Simon game. Fairly easy to write as a text based game but far trickier with graphics etc. So far I have a screen with buttons on it that glow and makes noises when you press them. Woo!
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 10:07:18
    To anyone thinking of going into 3D, here's a helpful tip: http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/make-better-textures-correct-size-and-power-of-two.php
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 Feb 2015 10:22:48 47,497 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mr-Zoo wrote:
    I would imagine that collectibles should be some kind of sprite or object that you check for collusions with. Then run the appropriate code depending on the type. Easy to say, probably harder to do.

I started writing a Simon game. Fairly easy to write as a text based game but far trickier with graphics etc. So far I have a screen with buttons on it that glow and makes noises when you press them. Woo!
    COLLUSION!

That's exact how you do it. In GM:S you could put something like this in the step event of the player object.

if place_meeting(x, y, obj_powerup)
    {
    Do this code
    }
    So whenever it detected your player object touch obj_powerup it'd run that code. The next question is*, if at the next step you were STILL touching the powerup it'd run that code again. And since my game runs at 60 steps a second that'd probably be a bad thing. So what do you do?

*I already know the answer personally, but I figured it'd be good for complete novices to think about it :)
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 10:22:51
    I mostly use Gamemaker, been experimenting with unity stuff though

my ~best~ gamemaker game: PizzaWizard+

Most of my other games are on GameJolt

Not really working on anything at the moment, was messing about Unity recently, wondering if I should make a weird 3D educational game inspired by Granny's Garden

I'm not an artist
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 10:27:35
    If you do, for the love of god don't use magenta.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 10:33:38
    @MrTomFTW

Heh, yes 'collusion' is the answer :) You will want to kill off the collided object obv and look up its type and manipulate the game variables in some way. Get it working for one thing and then see what happens. Could be fun to make the ship bigger and bigger, so that it gets harder to avoid crashing.

As an aside, I would recommend App Game Kit 2. Not just because I'm using it, but because it very much reminds me of AMOS on the Amiga. It's all code based but has loads of built in commands to handle sprites. Works on mac and pc, and can export to ios and android too. Not free but often on sale for about 40% off. You'll get more out of it if you're familiar with basic coding constructs (loops, arrays, data types etc).
  • mingster 23 Feb 2015 11:08:13 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lol that magenta reminds me of The Hobbit on the speccy
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 11:12:54
    mingster wrote:
    Lol that magenta reminds me of The Hobbit on the speccy
    I'm Using the Spectrum colours as textures :D
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 12:37:12
    Anyone know of any good websites for tutorials etc? I've been thinking about making a game for a while now, but when researching I always seem to come up short.
  • mingster 23 Feb 2015 13:46:16 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    http://brackeys.com/

https://www.udemy.com/

https://www.lynda.com/

https://www.3dbuzz.com/training

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/12321/how-can-i-start-learning-unity-fast-list-of-tutori.html

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Tutorials
  • Deleted user 23 February 2015 13:57:06
    I'm currently working my way through a book of tutorials for the Impact game engine. It's a javascript engine (X-Type Plus and Elliot Quest are the two biggest games to use the engine), but it's nice to have something you can constantly test and debug in your browser. It's also been fine tuned for Nintendo's Web Development Framework, which would be something nice to aim for if I can ever think up something worth playing.
  • twelveways 23 Feb 2015 14:09:31 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You put the collision code in the collectible, not the player. Once it has run the code then you get it to destroy itself.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.