Visiting Japan Page 12

• RyanDS 11 Oct 2017 15:36:15 12,838 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The best meal I had in Japan was in Osaka as well. In a bloody department store stopped for Sushi and it absolutely blew me away.

Well apart from a tiny Izakaya in Kyoto which I could never find again that made me fall in love with chicken hearts of all things.
  • DaM 11 Oct 2017 15:43:30 17,373 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    The best meal I had in Japan was in Osaka as well. In a bloody department store stopped for Sushi and it absolutely blew me away.

Well apart from a tiny Izakaya in Kyoto which I could never find again that made me fall in love with chicken hearts of all things.
    Was it the one with the Pokemon Centre? I found the restaurant in that after we had had lunch, it looked very good.
  • dadrester 11 Oct 2017 19:20:47 2,555 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We're off to Japan on November. Can't bloody wait.

I got a restaurant tip for Kyoto from the guy who used to be General Manager for Nintendo in the UK, which I'm looking forward to checking out. Apparently very low key and off the beaten track a bit but everyone who's everyone goes there. Not expensive but amazing.

However, when I was in Kyoto for the first time 13 years ago we went for a meal that is one of the best I've ever eaten, so I kind of want to go there too... let me see if I can find the one I went to...
  • dadrester 11 Oct 2017 19:31:57 2,555 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh god, Google maps/streetview has never made me hungry before. I can't find it right now because I have to eat.
  • elstoof 24 May 2019 01:02:28 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tokyo is fucking amazing
  • Your-Mother 24 May 2019 01:03:35 2,928 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gon get yourself a waifu
  • elstoof 24 May 2019 02:21:33 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just filling out the paperwork now
  • Nanocrystal 24 May 2019 05:27:49 1,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolutely love Japan, particularly the food, and earlier this year I went and developed a soy allergy. FML.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 May 2019 08:10:38 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Absolutely love Japan, particularly the food, and earlier this year I went and developed a soy allergy. FML.
    That's fucking horrible, sorry for your loss.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 May 2019 08:12:19 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to Kyushu for 4 weeks at the end of October and excited doesn't cover it, trying to sort out the itinerary and there are so many cracking places. Spending 2 days in Hong Kong on the way back to fill my life with dim sum, cocktails and amazing skylines.
  • JoelStinty 15 Jul 2019 20:44:23 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a question, what are people's experiences of booking hostels in Japan? When i travelled Nepal and parts of SEA last year i booked places a couple to a few days before each place i went too and had no problem booking accommodation this way. Is this feasible in Japan or would i need to be more proactive and book ahead ? Planning to go March/Apr next year, i don't think i be there for Golden Week, although i expect it to be fairly busy being Cherry Blossom season and i suspect that japan isn't geared towards travellers the way that other countries in Asia are.

Edited by JoelStinty at 20:45:17 15-07-2019
  • FWB 15 Jul 2019 20:45:54 56,178 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Avoid Japanese holiday times. Prices go through the roof and everything gets booked up.
  • IMO 15 Jul 2019 20:56:39 7,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Avoid Japanese holiday times. Prices go through the roof and everything gets booked up.
    Getting around is also hell on Earth because that is when EVERYONE is off somewhere.
  • FWB 15 Jul 2019 20:57:21 56,178 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Aye. They make the most of it given they don't take any holidays outside of the public ones.
  • JoelStinty 15 Jul 2019 21:00:23 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what i read that seems to be an issue around Golden Week, but i'm kind of thinking of going 1st of March to the last week of April. I know CB season will be be busy, but i guess Autumn is as well with the autumn leaves viewing being as popular too. Autumn this year as the Rugby world cup as well which means its a no-go, and i got weddings in May next year to go to so i can't go post Golden week.
  • JoelStinty 7 Sep 2019 12:31:12 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Booked my flights today. March and April. SSSOOOO EXCITED.
  • elstoof 7 Sep 2019 12:32:59 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím heading to Tokyo on weds, canít wait
  • JoelStinty 7 Sep 2019 12:35:23 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watching World Cup?
  • elstoof 7 Sep 2019 12:41:46 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lol no, ďworkĒ trip. Had to bring it forward to avoid the price hike, and thereís also an industry event of sorts so a whole load of people are in town. Gonna get very, very, very messy
  • JoelStinty 7 Sep 2019 12:48:20 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahh nice one. Are work paying for it?
  • elstoof 7 Sep 2019 13:10:33 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In as much as itís my company :D got 5 or 6 clients to see out there so Iíll have to do a few hours work, there for 4 nights though
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Sep 2019 14:31:15 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Booked my flights today. March and April. SSSOOOO EXCITED.
    Awesome!!
    2 whole months?
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Sep 2019 14:31:24 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    In as much as itís my company :D got 5 or 6 clients to see out there so Iíll have to do a few hours work, there for 4 nights though
    Bastard!
  • elstoof 7 Sep 2019 14:33:29 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Reckon I might eat an entire wagyu cow
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Sep 2019 14:36:31 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm currently booking hotels and stuff for my upcoming trip, mega, mega excited.

4 weeks travelling around Kyushu including 3 days in Yakushima, 4 days in Amami-oshima with a cheeky 2 days in Hong Kong on the way back.

47 more sleeps!
  • JoelStinty 7 Sep 2019 14:57:19 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm currently booking hotels and stuff for my upcoming trip, mega, mega excited.

4 weeks travelling around Kyushu including 3 days in Yakushima, 4 days in Amami-oshima with a cheeky 2 days in Hong Kong on the way back.

47 more sleeps!
    Really interested in what you make of Kyushu. Still nailing down my itinerary and I havenít really researched there yet. Just know that Yakushima looks amazing. Bekku looks a gray place for a dip too!

Yup going for two months. Figured if Im going to the other side of the world I may as well make the most of it. Iím working a zero hours job at the moment so not tied down with anything and at the moment managing to work 38 hours a week too so saving up pretty quickly.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Sep 2019 16:35:53 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

47 more sleeps!
    Really interested in what you make of Kyushu. Still nailing down my itinerary and I havenít really researched there yet. Just know that Yakushima looks amazing. Bekku looks a gray place for a dip too!

Yup going for two months. Figured if Im going to the other side of the world I may as well make the most of it. Iím working a zero hours job at the moment so not tied down with anything and at the moment managing to work 38 hours a week too so saving up pretty quickly.
    Quite right, with 2 months you can see loads, the more the better. Travelling in Japan (IMO) is far less tiring than some other parts of Asia so could go longer if budget allows it.

So far I've been to the Yaeyema islands between Okinawa and Taiwan (miyakojima and Ishigakijima, I loved them and look forward to seeing how amami-oshima compares, the usual places in Honshu (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, 5 lakes, Kamakura) as well as Kinosaki Onsen, Takayama, Kanazawa and Himeji; Last year we travelled around Hokkaido and it was amazing, such a special place, can't wait to go back there.
    Anyway, if I can help your planning, hit me up.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Sep 2019 16:37:48 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would really, really love to go to Ogasawara
    25 hour boat ride from Tokyo!
  • JoelStinty 7 Sep 2019 19:57:04 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

47 more sleeps!

Quite right, with 2 months you can see loads, the more the better. Travelling in Japan (IMO) is far less tiring than some other parts of Asia so could go longer if budget allows it.

So far I've been to the Yaeyema islands between Okinawa and Taiwan (miyakojima and Ishigakijima, I loved them and look forward to seeing how amami-oshima compares, the usual places in Honshu (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, 5 lakes, Kamakura) as well as Kinosaki Onsen, Takayama, Kanazawa and Himeji; Last year we travelled around Hokkaido and it was amazing, such a special place, can't wait to go back there.
    Anyway, if I can help your planning, hit me up.
    Cool will do. I follow a couple of Japan travel magazines things on facebook. I just keep adding places to my list. It's never ending!

So far my itinerary Is looking a bit like this:

Tokyo
    Kamakura
    Hakone
    Nagano - A couple of day trips
    Takayama - quite a few day trips/Hikes
    Kyoto
    Osaka - maybe thinking doing at least part of Kumana Kodo
    Naoshima
    Okayama - couple of day trips and some cycling
    Hiroshima + Miyajima
    Kyushu (yet to properly research, but definitely interested in a few days on Yakushima)
    Back to Tokyo for a day
    Nikko - a few hikes
    Mashiko (don't know whether to do this from Tokoyo or Nikko for a day)
    Tokyo for any time remaining.
  • JoelStinty 7 Sep 2019 20:04:00 8,066 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also just realised that I may be in Tokyo for the Final Fantasy 7 remake release. Which could be epic. Or a non event. But still.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.